Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Aardvark, can we get the previous thread archived or goldmined or something? It will be a useful contemporaneous primary source in the future and it's filled with a ton of things worth preserving. I myself have used the SA corona threads every day for information as well as for research purposes as I'm writing a history of this pandemic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Aardvark! posted:

I have moved it to The Goldmine, which was made for just such occasions.

Thank you!!! It's greatly appreciated. Would you be willing to drop a note to the D&D mods requesting they do the same when their thread runs out?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Sjs00 posted:

Hey when the Covid19 virus mutates into a no poo poo for real rabies/zombie virus you just let me know because you will encounter that poo poo before I will (if you go to the gym)

you're being a remarkable rear end in a top hat here on top of being incorrect since the sars 2 virus is not going to mutate into some existential ebolapox nightmare

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
We did a thing!

https://komonews.com/news/local/king-county-first-large-county-in-nation-to-surpass-70-percent-vaccination-threshold

Seattle metro and King County is the first large county nationwide to surpass 70% vaccination

KOMO posted:

SEATTLE – King County is the nation’s first large county to surpass the 70 percent threshold for COVID-19 vaccinations.

King County Executive Dow Constantine said Tuesday morning 71 percent of eligible residents ages 12 or older have gotten at least one dose.

“As I've said all along, this pandemic will end one shot at a time, and no community would be left behind,” Constantine said. “Our community outreach, school clinics, and partnerships across King County have helped save lives and keep more people safe from the Delta variant. From young people to community organizations that reach communities of color, everyone in King County is stepping up to do their part and keep one another safe from this dangerous virus.”
The news comes a day after the FDA approved the Pfizer Biotech vaccine and health leaders say they suspect this means the vaccination rate will continue to rise at home.

"This is an important milestone and remarkable achievement, but as the current Delta surge shows, we still have too many eligible and unprotected," said Dr. Jeff Duchin, Health Officer for Public Health – Seattle & King County. "The full approval of the Pfizer mRNA vaccine by FDA should reassure anyone who has been reluctant to be vaccinated with the emergency use authorization. This vaccine now officially meets the same safety and effectiveness standard as all other routinely available vaccines."

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
A big part of it is that the CDC did not recommend vaccinations for pregnant mothers until relatively recently. My friend picked up delta from her unvaccinated and asymptomatic pregnant roommate while being fully vaccinated herself. My friend was really sick for a week but avoided hospitalization thanks to the vaccine.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
sheep drench

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
When things started getting really bad last March I stocked up on toilet paper and bought a bidet right before the national shutdowns started and people started panic buying everything. I have never felt that an investment was so worth the money in my life as I have with this bidet. People I knew were scrambling to find toilet paper anywhere they could, some driving way the gently caress out to the chudlands across the cascades to find it, meanwhile I turn a knob and get my poop chute rinsed and clean, only needing a single washcloth wipe to dry off before tossing it in the laundry

I was king of poo poo mountain

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Stickman posted:

120k if we're going by doses.

Lol, deaths following vaccination is one of the few things we do follow closely. Every death or serious adverse event following a vaccination is required to be reported to the CDC through their Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System, and they request that all events temporally associated with vaccination be reported (not just those that the hcw thinks might be directly caused by the vax). As of September 20th, there were 7.9k reported deaths associated with COVID vaccination and nearly all of those will simply be coincidences rather than caused by the vaccine (because we vaccinated a shitload of people).

The CDC, FDA, and pharmaceutical companies closely monitor VAERS to looks for adverse events that rise above the background level. That's what happened with the J&J and thrombosis with thrombocytopenia syndrome.

Emanuel gets it.

edit: misread stickman's post, my bad

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Mne nravitsya posted:

I plan on getting the third one (it makes some level of sense to me) but beyond that, I not really onboard for keeping up this type regimen for the rest of my life. Problem is: in some of these EU countries, they will keep forcing and fining for profit.

drat them for trying to keep people alive :rolleyes:

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Where's a reputable place to order N95s? I'm in Seattle and lmao

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Zugzwang posted:

bonafidemasks.com, behealthyusa.net (these are KF94s but theyre good too), and you can get 3M Aura N95s in the paint section at Home Depot/Lowes.

Thank you, I just ordered 40 N95s for myself and my fiancee for about $95 shipped which isn't too bad. How often can I reuse these before moving to a new one? I remember seeing stories about people sanitizing them for reuse by baking them in the oven for a bit? What about cloth masks in conjunction with an N95?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Got my booster today! My first two shots were Pfizer and this was a Moderna. So far my arm hurts a bit but otherwise no side effects

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I drove a Yanmar tractor with a 6 foot finishing mower and bushhog on it at 14 while growing up on my farm. Operating heavy machinery is absolutely not something you want children doing lmao

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I need to get contacts because I'm so tired of my glasses fogging up 90% of the time I'm wearing a mask.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Bape Culture posted:

Candace Owens is so loving thick she got owned by notorious thick oval office Joe rogan lmao. How anyone falls for the obvious grift in tyool 2022 is incredible

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Why can't people say oval office in gbs, but people are allowed to say retard without issue?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
My sisters aren't attending my wedding next summer (date to be picked yet, but at least 1+ year out for venue etc) because we're requiring all guests to be fully vaxxed and boosted, with a negative test the day before traveling. All of our wedding planning is building covid into it, so we're doing the ceremony outside with plenty of social distancing between seats, no indoor reception, masking at all times except when eating (also being done outside), and the wedding party is going to be tested throughout since they are arriving early. We are also disallowing kids and hosting a livestream of the ceremonies for people who want to attend but can't due to immunocompromization, etc. We're doing the best we can to work with the situation we got while keeping everyone as safe as we can. We're also in a very blue area of a very blue state with a high vax rate and regular masking.

It's not perfect, but it's the best we can do, and with no end to this in sight I'm not willing to continue putting off major life events because some assholes won't be vaxxed. So I told my sisters that's their choice but I wasn't budging, they called me an rear end in a top hat that is preventing them from being there, and haven't spoken to me in two months. They have also had covid multiple times. So gently caress em

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I got my Covid tests from Biden today, about 1.5 weeks after I registered and requested them. I have a surplus of tests now between those from the Feds, those from Jay Inslee and Washington State, and the 20 tests I ordered online, so I'm keeping 5 for me and my fiancee's use and giving the rest to my friends who work customer facing jobs and the homeless I'm friends with that hang around my block. From each according to their abilities, to each according to their needs.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This is another time when smoking could have saved lives, because in the past any decent restaurant (and even some pubs if they served food) had ruthlessly efficient air filters so people could smoke at their tables without annoying other patrons. I remember the O'Neill's that was our favoured lunch pub when I worked in Blackheath, had a little raised plinth over about a third of the floorspace that was the smoking area and it was actually fascinating that you could literally blow smoke right at someone and it would shoot straight upwards despite there being no actual noticeable breeze.

Also there was a coffee shop - sorry, "coffee shop" - in Amsterdam that had little extractors built into the light fittings over the tables which were ruthlessly efficient which I'm willing to bet, between them and the magical resin protecting your lungs, would be be the most covid-secure space in the world.

Can't get covid lungs if the cancer gets them first!

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Skyscraper Raccoon posted:

Leisure Class demands more leisure

I will never go back to an office and nothing will change that. I've spent 2 years doing my job from my living room and like hell am I going into the covid cubicles. Sorry your job doesn't let you do that, that really sucks. But don't poo poo on people who are taking advantage of something in order to not get exposed and sick from a virus. If you want lower spread, why would you not support working from home for those who can? Real sour grapes and crab bucket mentality here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Blitter posted:

Here's a tiktok by a phd immunologist to explain it, or read the pre-print.

It's funny how people in this thread take simple and reassuring garbage at face value, but anything they don't want to hear?

"I won't read a pre-print"

Or

"I'll only read that pre-print when it's peer reviewed, sometime next year"

Or

"I won't watch some lovely tiktok"
(Even tho its created precisely for people wo won't read a pre-print)

Or

"I won't read a twitter summary from a well regarded, published scientist because it's in a tweet"

:jerkbag:

Pre-prints aren't really reputable because, you know, they haven't been peer-reviewed. Which is the thing that confers reputability. You can write a pre-print that says long covid makes dicks and balls bigger and it would be as valid as any other pre-print until peer reviewed.