Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

learnincurve posted:

Yeh everyone’s going to get a booster along with the flu shot, and masks on public transport is never going away.

One thing we learned is that people in the U.K. are filthy buggers, and if we had done basic hygiene before this then most of those flu deaths were preventable as well.

Today was my first day at the gym after like 2 years. Everyone was washing and spraying their stations and weights, keeping distance because each workout station is now a box etc.

I remembered how gross gyms were beforetimes and like "now it wasn't that hard to clean up benches, was it?". I know it will fade away soon (?) but it felt better to see everyone dutifully cleaning everything before and after they use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

It was pretty good for a while around here, pre-vaccine. In a world where about 15% of the people locally are fully vaccinated, none of the gyms I've peeked at recently have any sort of posted covid policy and the front desk people are all maskless. So I'm not even going inside at this point.

I go to a chain gym in London, quite central location so they had:

-Cleaning products and wipes everywhere, hand sanitizer on pretty much every wall
-The gym windows were wide open
-Every workout station is separated with bands on the ground
-Arrows guiding your in one way in one way out kinda system. It works for me as I move to bench to squat rack for all exercise.
-The policy is posted everywhere including the entrance
-You have to book your slot through the app, I don't think they enforce the time you spend there but I can see how many people in there or which slots are booked

So, yeah, idk I was quite vehement about not going to the gyms but now that UK is jabjab land and pretty much next week we are going back to licking bar taps inside the pubs I thought this would be a good time (I had Covid 5 months ago and had my second jab a month ago) so I guess this will be as good as it gets for me. I'm exceptionally weak, tired and stressed so wanted to give this a try.

Seems like they hiked the prices to compensate for the distancing rules and whatnot, it basically went from £20 to £35 which might be also a factor in not many people being inside. I'm self employed so I can book off-peak hours like 4 p.m and gtfo before after-work crowd descends in.

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 6, 2021

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

They have two squat racks :shobon:

The markup is not too much considering that I'm not a pub-goer or have any expensive hobbies. I used to practice kendo and go to the gym before the roni, which cost me around 70 quid a month (50 for the kendo venue hire + 20 for the gym), nightlife is still not full on open-er-up so I pretty much have no outgoings besides bills an rent.

I tried open air running or doing home workouts and failed miserably and my body is literally crumbling from lack of physical activity so decided to give this a go on a non-contract membership. It also gives me a good reason to go out as the walk is like 15 minutes through nice open streets.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Sjs00 posted:

The zombies thing just popped into my head tonight as I wondered what the consequences of so many warm bodies harboring so much of the virus asymptomatic or otherwise and how it's basically infinite dice rolls on the mutation factor because
Squat racks

Lmao, you are crazy.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Another Bill posted:

- you don't need to wear a mask
- it's not airborne
- it's just the flu
- it only kills people over 80
- the vaccine is actually giving people COVID
- it's turning everyone into murderous zombies

There's a natural 18 month progression there.

Your skipped the "It'll be over when weather gets warm" phase after the "It's just the flu" phase bu p. much.

It is common knowledge that gyms are secret Umbrella Corporation bases where viruses get mutated inside...checks notes...squat racks.

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 6, 2021

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Bronze Fonz posted:

When covid started spreading we were talking about it in the late pages of the chinathread, I wanna say maybe a week(s?) before a proper covid thread was started and around the same time that chinathread was closed for a new one.
Can't be assed right now to find whatever that chinathread was called but if you find it, in the last pages we're discussing it as it goes from rumors of an outbreak in Wuhan to "holy poo poo this thing would be everywhere by now". It would be quite a trip to read this stuff today.

I sometimes come across random shopping receipts from the first lockdown in my filing drawers and remember how thing loving spiraled so fast and my head spins just by thinking about it. Look and despair, ye mighty, at my 25 KG hand packed flour purchase I did from my local Turkish markets back entrance while wearing double masks and regular glove on top of surgical gloves.

I remember my ex-gf used to work in Canary Wharf and the first active case in the UK was in the Exxon (Shell?) building which was quite near to her so they evacced everyone in CW.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I gave so many aubergines soapy baths in the last year.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

You'd think that it was an euphemism alas, literally gave aubergines / sparkling water bottles / pretty much everything a soapy baths. Only stopped doing that like a month ago but still carry the "Covid discipline" of carrying sanitizer, washing hands for 20 seconds, carrying spare masks etc.

Lmao, I just remembered the "20 second hand wash lyric templates".

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

My ex was on the "extremely vulnerable" list so we just went overboard with precautions. Irony is we got the roni in the super market the only day we couldn't get priority slots for her because gubmint 360noscoped the third lockdown announcement and we decided to go out for one big shopping so we can reduce the amount of time we need to do grocery runs.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

learnincurve posted:

These idiots flew in to Manchester Airport mid February and the kid and all the kids she infected travelled to Sheffield train and bus station at rush hour every day, then wandered round the town centre, went to the cinema, the football, and Meadowhall on the weekends for two weeks before it got picked up.

I think that particular group that went to Italy when it broke out in Milano was like a cluster bomb that made the initial spread fast. Goddamn, was there anywhere they DIDN'T go with the virus, holy hell.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Picnic Princess posted:

They didn't have bandaids where I got my shot lol

They gave me one after the first shot but the second one was like "welp, you're done baiiii".

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

ETA 7 days until we can have a "Cheeky" Nando's (tm) indoors and pay a grand in average on top of the holiday expenses to have the privilege of being stranded in Portugal in case the gubmint suddenly decides to put them on the red list again :britain:

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

learnincurve posted:

I honestly just want the lazy fuckers who installed them to remove all the barriers that were put in when people had to queue outside before entering. It’s been nearly 6 months (? Or 6000 years idk) since that was all abandoned and the mess is still there.

They funnel people closer together at the entrances and exits that haven’t been locked, force those with limited mobility to walk often insane round about distances (to cross shopping centre “streets” for example) and make it an absolute ballache for people in wheelchairs. Only one entrance and exit? Well would you look at that, this building is only wheelchair accessible via the door marked exit and there is a 4ft crash barrier zip tied across the ramp, yay! Fire exits? Never heard of them.

In current status, queuing is a hassle in anywhere and everyone is already at licking distance to each other regardless but boy o boy the month between May 17th to June 21st will be a wild ride for everyone, doubly so for service workers.
"
I actually went to Nando's in Southbank on Friday and they let people inside to wait in the booths for their order and I was like, "Wait, can we sit inside??".

I mean, for all it's worth, the lockdown made me realize how overpriced the outdoor dining / drinking is (in London, that is). Two people meal box for 25 quid? That's like my weekly groceries and I buy "expensive" stuff like fresh vegs and fruits. Borough market open food stalls were like full on packed with people and it gets tiring to ask "do you accept walk-ins" after the second time.

That being said, I extremely appreciate that we're at this point now, complaining about not being able to find a seat in a taco stand is lightyears away from where we were five months ago.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

"Haven't seen your face in here ever, mate. gently caress off back to Surrey Quays and contaminate the marina instead :argh:" was our common grumbling during the early-mid lockdown.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Revins posted:

I pretty much got vaxxed on a whim, I just started a new job so am currently between health insurers. I was at wal-mart grabbing some cat food and decided to ask the pharmacy what you needed to get a vaccine and they were like "we just need your social security number if you don't have active insurance and we have the J&J shot which only takes one do you want it" and I was like "heck yeah" and 5 min later I was jabbed and that was that.

I recognize this is extremely fortunate. the point is if you're american and worried about getting vaxxed up give your local wal-mart pharmacy a call

Correct me if I'm getting wrong but do Murica actually paywall the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines? Like, please tell me that's not the case.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Oh, I misread and skipped the "and" in between, apologies.

That being said, I was 100% ready to believe if it was an actual thing given the American healthcare finding new ways to make me :psyduck: each time I read about it.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

What my 5g tuned brain thought was "If you have an active insurance, you can select from all vaccines. If you don't have an active insurance, you still get the vaccine but you can't choose" kinda situation.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

learnincurve posted:

They had this absolutely stupid tier system in place that allowed Londoners to frolic about licking lamp posts while northern old men, in areas that hasn’t had a death in 6 months, had to leave a carrier bag in a pub doorway and shout “please sir may I have some more”

Rich Londoners brought the Kent variant up north for Christmas.

I keep seeing mouthbreathing domestic tourists taking photos of the Tower Bridge (no one lived more than 45 minutes in London takes the photo of Tower Bridge) and licking our lamposts and complain about paying £5.60 for a godawful pint of lager when the weather is good so consider us even :colbert:

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Squat racks mutating Corona into zombifying virus was just :discourse:

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

Can any fellow Britischer swine tell me why I got offered a vaccine appointment this week in London? I am not 40+, and I have no risk factors I am aware of... got me worried my GP knows something I don't

The gubmint throwing out jabs like Wesley Snipes does at the end of the Blade 1. Whole lotta friends in their 30s are getting the call without any preconditions. Just in time to lick lampposts in Manchester by June :getin:

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Chief McHeath posted:

I can feel the nanobot population inside me increasing daily. :feelsgood:

:sickos:

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Where is my donut NHS? :argh:

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I self-treated myself a massive box of Lebanese on 30% off on Uber Eats after my second AZ.

"Note: This kebab box serves 2"

We'll see about that babes :smuggo:

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

that "halal snack box" that is just a pound of chips and a pound of kebab meat drizzled with hydrogenated goo hell yeah

Oh, this was more akin to a mixed grill. It had lamb shish, taouk shish, truckloads of chicken and lamb shawarma, kofta and mountain or rice.

It clocks at 30 quid but by lord it felt amazing after the vaccine because I have a very severe (?) needle phobia (like, I faint / blackout almost everytime I get vaccinated or my blood drawn) so my ex-gf was, bless her, holding my hand like an actual puppy and "it's okay, it will be okay soon" and petting it. I felt quite light headed afterwards even though I felt absolutely nothing and thought that the nurse is messing with me when she said it's done.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Fuk u National Express, I will eat my Meatball Marinara footlong on the bus to Edinburgh and make the whole bus smell like a Subway located under a rail bridge for 8 hours, you can't stop me :colbert:

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Yeah, I mean, if Indian variant is vaccine resistant or mutated due to squat racks in the gyms, I'd be more :ohdear: but I'll keep licking lamppost.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Sounds like Bo-Jo is bracing for at least not being able to fully openerup on Jun 21st and maybe another lockdown?

Who knows at this point, I honestly cannot tell if UK media is run by doomongering psychopaths or this is how actually is, welp.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Thanks for the article, it sounds more grounded than "BRITONS WON'T BE ABLE TO GO TO MAGALUF THIS SUMMER!!!!!!!!! :supaburn:" headlines tend to pop up.

I mean, yeah, looks like Germany put the UK on the "high risk area" watch again as well.

It's RobinWilliamsJumanjiWhatYearIsThis.jpeg meme but with Covid.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Lamppost licking delayed until further notice.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I had to pick an important mail from my ex-housemate , who is in a mindfulness/quantum wishing cult and a vehement anti-vaxxer in her mid 50s.

Of course she didn't get her vaccine despite being a middle school teacher and got hyper offended when I said I can't stay over for a coffee in her plague cabin.

Should've told her to drop the mail outside and burned that bridge tbh.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Some of my fave Covid lol memories in no particular order of happening:

-Already posted but Herman Cain.

-Joe Rogan finally going full mask-off chudlord and gathering all 80's movie villian looking mo-fos in his Texas prepper shelter.

-Gal Gadot Imagine (probably the top lol/second-hand embarrassment/rage inducing one)

-Indirectly but people having too much time and stimmy checks/savings causing a pulse pounding GME action in Jan-Feb, what a rollercoaster that was.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

pro starcraft loser posted:

Has anyone been back to the gyms yet?

For a month now, the prices literally doubled to account for people limits and extra cleaning / hygiene measures.

The gym is probably the cleanest that has ever been with everyone spray cleaning equipment twice, the place getting cleaned frequently and all windows being open with ventilation at max.

I'm self employed so I can just book like 4 p.m. slot to avoid post-work crowd and use the benches/squat racks but it gets kinda (like, 10 odd people maybe) crowded during 5-7 p.m. period

It made wonders to my mental and physical health, both took a beating during the lockdown so I just appreciate the UK publics vaccine acceptance and NHS vaccine rollout.:shobon:

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Nettle Soup posted:

In the UK here, been trying to get my GP to sign up my boyfriend for almost a month. "Oh we didn't get your form" (they did, it just took them 2 weeks to reply to the email and then they don't know how emails work) "oh you didn't fill in your previous uk address and gp" (he's moved here from germany and doesn't have either) "oh you need an nhs number to sign up!" (the way to get an nhs number is... to sign up with a gp!)" "I'll have to ask the manager" (the manager only visits the practice on tuesday mornings, good luck!)

It's incredibly frustrating and upsetting. I just want him to be safe. :( Gonna try again with the manager tomorrow, and if that doesn't work, phone the cqc and lodge a formal complaint.

The NHS number loop can be broken by calling/mailing NHS directly with a reference to the GP.

My recently immigrated friend was going to start a job in a big construction project and he wanted to get his shot before wading into a construction site so he mailed the NHS and literally the next day his number arrived while the GP told him it would take 1 month to process.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Nettle Soup posted:

Thankyou! I phoned the GP today and got angry at them until they finally registered him. (Surprise surprise, the manager wasn't in and "we don't know when she will be")

Any idea who specfically I have to contact? "The NHS" is a big catagory. I've been through the NW regional team and 119 and all sorts of other random numbers over the past few day. Woman at the GPs office was very dismissive and like "we'll fine we'll register him but the nhs number is going to take months and months so don't expect a jab any time soon!"

We're just outside Manchester, so close to the problem areas, otherwise I wouldn't be so worried about it.

Oh sorry about being vague, I asked my friend and he told me he got in touch through this site when the GP told the "months and months" thing for his wife, he says things were magically resolved in one day:

https://www.healthwatch.co.uk/your-local-healthwatch/list

For his own NHS number he says "I just kept calling and told them I was starting a job and they finally gave up and processed my application".

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I know "keep calling overworked NHS staff until they hate you enough to process things/snitch them to superior authorities" is not the most socially pleasant advice but by god GP offices love to 360noscope "lmao it'll arrive in 3 months" from what my friends experienced.

Then again, if it takes one e-mail to things move forward, why not do that soon and save everyone a headache?

Hope you'll get things going one way or another fellow plague island dweller :shobon:

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 8, 2021

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Also, maybe you and your bf should've clapped harder last year :colbert:

Well, that didn't came out right.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Athletes competing at the Tokyo Olympics will be tested regularly so the games organisers aren't making them quarantine on arrival, and getting vaccinated beforehand isn't even compulsory

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2021/may/20/organisers-of-tokyo-olympics-press-ahead-despite-covid-fears

I'm sure it'll be fine :coronatoot:

Given the fact that Olympic villages being one big orgy, I see no problem with that at all.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Pistol_Pete posted:

So here in the UK, we're very close to being able to copy Israel and basically end all internal restrictions. What we're NOT going to be able to end (I suspect for years to come) are the severe restrictions that we have on international travel. With most of the world unvaccinated, we're not going to want tourists coming home with nasty new variants and that means it's likely to be years before the easy pre-Covid international flying returns.

It seems like "Generation EasyJet" is now dead, at least for couple of years. God knows when it will be possible to hop on a plane for 30 quid to Barcelona, stay in a sweaty hostel dorm full of Australians.

The traffic light system is deliberately built in a way to discourage people without spare cash to buy their way out.

If you're remote working and can fork out extra two or three hundie for PCR tests both ways, you can still have a vacation in Portugal (or any country allowing plague island residents). It'll be, once again, broke millenials and zoomers cannot buy their way out.

You'll have an underwhelming fish and chips for £17 in Margate and like it :colbert:

You'd think that Murica would be eager to open the London - USA travel back but seems unlikely. Maybe it'll change after G7 or 4th of July.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Pistol_Pete posted:

Oh yeah, I quite agree.

On the subject of delaying a full reopening I'm agnostic, although ultimately I don't see any harm in giving it another few weeks so we can really get ahead with the vaccine programme.

Same here, I'm quite social and extroverted and lockdown pretty much took away all my coping mechanisms but if it means that more people could be saved and infections can be reduced I'm okay with delaying openerup.

It's a massive hassle anyway to play booking bingo or gamble with walk-ins to pay 6 quid for a lager or 25 for an underwhelming burger. Not firectly related to Covid but auto adding service fee to a fuckin pint can gently caress right off :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I would tip pretty much all the time but auto-service charge then asking for a tip on the five million apps we have to install for one drink can go back to Murica.

Bring back walking to the bar, ordering drinks and carrying it back while splashing foam all over your face. Table service? Where are we? France???

Anyway, let's see what G7 brings up in terms of travel besides mildly annoyed Cornwall locals.