Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Will there be an ongoing thread for those who reuse to stop quarantining, ever?

If not, where will I fit in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

wilderthanmild posted:

Ohio has announced their new program to encourage vaccination. For 5 weeks, they will hold a million dollar lottery which will be drawn from the pool of vaccinated individuals in the state. I wonder if that will cause numbers to tick up again.

The money is coming from their unused federal covid money too, which means there are more than 5 million dollars just kind of floating around for covid stuff that they can't find a "better" use for. lmao.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Is "normal" where people go "oh yeah my 37 year old friend got covid and he's in the hospital but whatever" while they eat buffalo wild wings and also get covid?

I realize a shitload of people are doing this now but now everybody has the government's go-ahead and encouragement to be this when we are still way under vaccinated according to recent, previous outlined necessities.

It feels like the government is just going "well, gently caress it, they're all going to do whatever they want anyhow. May as well tell them it's cool."

How many years on earth did it take you to finally understand how average human beings deal with tragedy that isn't theirs?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Covid sucks and watching people die sucks, but if someone chooses to drive without a seatbelt, go out in public without a mask/vaccination, or stick their wiener in a dark hole, that sounds like it's their problem. Making those things illegal just makes the consequences easier to digest (and laugh at).

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I cant wait for the hottest and most fashionable syndrome 2022: PCSD (post covid stress disorder) and its inevitable insurance code denial.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I can't believe anyone would wear a mask (or two) and leave their eyes unprotected and their ear holes wide open. I already have to wear a mask, it isn't that much more effort to wear safety goes and ear protection too whenever I shop.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Can we even safely eat meat anymore? As we all know, vaccines won't make us completely immune, so the only safe option is to cover our holes. But how does this affect our food source animals like cows? We could maybe mask cows with some kind of makeshift feed-bag-type thing, but chickens seem logistically a lot more difficult. I'm afraid any meat might be a covid transmission vector now.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

One of the problems in talking about immunity are the fuckwits out there who treat vaccination as some kind of anointment, where covid is simply not a concern anymore and they can lick all the lamp posts they want now and forevermore. Add in the CDC unexpectedly dropping "forget about masks if you're vaccinated" then it makes the whole situation really disturbing. I'm planning to keep wearing masks the same way I was for the indefinite future, but I'm also lucky I live in a place where I am unlikely to have idiots step up on me for doing so.

So when the scientists say I can go without a mask because I'm vaccinated, and I follow their scientifically backed opinion, I'm a fuckwit?

Do you wear a face shield with your mask in case someone sneezes in your eyes? Studies show people who wear glasses get covid less often, seems kind of careless to wear one and not the other imo.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

So now if you believe the CDC and follow their guidelines, you're an idiot or ignorant of danger or something?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

poverty goat posted:

If you are vaccinated you should really take a deep breath and stop trying to imagine new doomsday scenarios that will affect you far in the future, and instead revel on the fact that you're really well protected from the idiots now and that their poor choices no longer pose an imminent threat to your health and well-being. In a year all of us who aren't idiots in America will be able to get booster shots if we need them unless western civilization has collapsed.

Have you considered that it is far more interesting to imagine yourself as a future sufferer/survivor of a nuclear apocalypse/pandemic/chosen catastrophe and instead seek affirmation from other broken brains?

I mean there's a lot of topics on this website about preppers and people with the same mentality.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I'm vaccinated and don't give a poo poo if someone else does t want to wear a mask because there's no law against me wearing one, and I'm vaccinated.

It is not good and right to feel anxious and scared of other humans when you're already doing all you can to protect yourself. That's kind of the definition of life altering anxiety and a good reason to see a professional.

They're other people too, who have lives and thoughts and vaccinations (some).

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Something the glass-half-empty crew misses too is the fact that pretty much everyone said this isn't going anywhere quickly, and you might just have to accept this is a danger of leaving your home. There's a lot of dangers that can leave lasting damage from leaving your home. Lyme disease from ticks, the plague, cancer from exposure to chemicals and other things.

At some point you'll just have to accept a level of risk needed to exist. It's not like you're likely to be eaten by a lion. And if you are, I would bet covid is not high on the list of everyday worries.

And other diseases and stuff. They didn't go anywhere.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

It's almost as if countries value their own people more than other countries people, and only some places can make the vaccines.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Anyone know what the real risk is if I volunteer to work with dead bodies but also want to weaponize my disease anxiety as a tool of self righteousness? Curious for advice for a friend.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Self inflicted covid-19 PTSD is real and it is already inside this thread, among other places.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Can't wait for the inevitable generation of COVID-brains, like the lead poisoned generation, except more preventable.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Distrusting the government is not part of trusting a vaccine made by for-profit companies. Stop acting like you're doing some kind of good thing by remaining skeptical of things you barely understand. That's just called being human.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I'm going for a full house of mRNA vaccines, fingers crossed for the right ones available.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Platystemon posted:

There’s no doubt in my mind that the Trump administration would be fast‐tracking vaccines for kids.

Yeah it would be horrible political interference that would be corrosive to America’s most cherished institutions, but it would be happening.

Lmao

I guess to elaborate, wow

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

So are there any countries that went back to school already? And what happened, if not the usual "We opened for 3 days and got a big outbreak"

I mean did anyone go back to school and things were ok, anywhere?

Despite all the doom posting, some schools are just fine if they are far enough out in the middle of nowhere. A few of the rural elementary schoola around me made it a whole year last year with only a few individual student quarantines and no major teacher sickness's.

It gets worse as the students get older and more able to move themselves around without parents though.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

The Saucer Hovers posted:

delta isnt wild style hth

No, it is very different. But I think people who live in cities and suburbs really don't understand how little contact some people have with others.

I'm not saying it'll be fine. I don't think it will be quite the immediate shutdown that populated schools might see though.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I don't think fluffy bunnies is someone you should be taking seriously regarding "socialization", as they post incessantly about a self-inflicted stress disorder.

A big part of socialization is just being in a social structure with peers, with rules different than your own home's rules.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Covid or no, school is going to have to be in person for a lot of reasons, namely there's no daytime childcare other than school for a lot of America.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Michael Corleone posted:

My friend who studied biology told me last year that if this spread to deer (Corvids?) that it would be some serious poo poo. Anyone confirm or deny this?

Someone is going to eat covid deer.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Gologle posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm sick right now and I really hope it isn't COVID. How can I get tested without going inside a store or clinic?

Have you tried opening a maps app on your phone and searching? This might sound like a joke but it isn't at all.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

The Modern Leper posted:

My last word on this derail... I'm saying that it's not a functional tool for them, because for wide swaths of this population, qualifying as "overweight" (or even, for some, "obese") has no meaningful clinical significance.

Like, if you want to make a generalized statement from the perspective of population health, or if you individually want to have some "scientific" metric to meet your personal weight goals, then go off. But (purely) anecdotally, of the broad range of people I know who would fall on a spectrum between "overweight" and the lower end of "obese," the only reliably determinative factor in terms of fitness, diet, or lifestyle is "over the age of 40".

Everyone you know is fat, and you're afraid to admit it
It's okay, pretty much everyone in America is fat, and a lot of the civilized world, if you look at the data.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

It won't because the reason you're forced to take their mask is because the person doing the mask checking is not going to bother assessing if it is clean/dirty/new/old. That's a waste of their time compared to just telling you to shut the gently caress up and put on their mask.

It's not matter of safety for you, it's a matter of time spent and safety for the employees who have to keep arguing with entitled people who won't just follow the rules.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

It's going to be 4+ years from now and part of the population will have self withdrawn forever from public life and normal things like going out to eat for fear of catching a disease they are vaccinated against and that may or may not be serious.

That's pretty funny.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

Well covidactnow just went CDC-compliant, so no more daily cases as they've gone to weekly-only, and anything under 200 per 100k is now "low". What a loving joke. There is literally no place left that's honestly reporting on covid cases now, and nowhere to point to say "look, see, we're in the exact same place we were this time last year, nothing's changed".

Humans adapt to their environment, nobody wants to lose their job, and your options are be scared all the time or accept that you have no power over your life and just hope you won't get sick by staying away from sick people, namaste.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

That's little comfort to people who have family members suffering long-term effects.

My stepdaughter is entering high school, and still has crippling abdominal pain post-covid. She was highly athletic, winning cross-country competitons well beyond her age group, going to dance four times a week, and pretty much enjoying being a kid. Now she doesn't even do gym at school. All because her friend's bitch mother didn't want to tell us that their family was infected.

gently caress "living with COVID". Complacency is why my child is needlessly suffering now, probably forever. I don't give a gently caress if people are too goddamn lazy to take the most basic of precautions, or are too myopic because they're hung up on their political standing. If cases really are going down, then the bare loving minimum we can do is track cases accurately so those of us who want to protect ourselves can better make informed decisions. Instead of sticking our fingers in our ears and pretending COVID doesn't exist.

Yeah, I def mad.

It sucks but I don't know that blaming one person for a sickness helps in any way other than feeling righteously indignant. There are so many people walking around sick every day that it was now bound to happen sometime unless you want to forgo life in society altogether.

My post is more about finding peace with the world you're forced to live in instead of actively choosing to make yourself emotionally miserable by becoming a misanthrope because you just now realized people are universally selfish poo poo.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

liz posted:

Well this no mask thing on the planes and airports is definitely weird and unsettling…

None of the flights attendants were even wearing them. At least the guy next to us was, poor dude came back from a 2 week silent meditation to all this nonsense. Two ladies almost got into a fight waiting for the bathroom. Yep this is going great!

I felt extra gross getting off that flight knowing all these unmasked particles were floating around, clothes straight to the washer… Hope my N95 was sufficient 🤞

What if I told you about the uncovered mucus membranes in your eyes and how vulnerable they are to any direct dispersal?

I hope you have a bubble suit and full helmet, because it might get stuck in any hairs and come out later after a shake.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Mozi posted:

speaking truth to power has its dangers

Some heros live long enough to become villains

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Here in Midwest America nobody gives a poo poo. Nobody. And if any one of you shared your views like "everyone going to a wedding should have a recent test" most of your workplace would laugh you out of the building.

That's life here.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

liz posted:

I wish people could understand all this… I’m decently active and walk about 5 miles everyday give or take plus the gym, and pretty much all my trips involve hiking of some kind so when I freak out about not wanting get loving covid it’s because I value my health and active lifestyle.

I’m literally one of 3 ppl who wears a mask in my office. It’s really starting to feel like the boss level of Mario these days…

You know the fear is real when people feel their real life is a video game simile.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I'm Crap posted:

Care to Toxx for it? How many cases do you consider "not an epidemic/pandemic", and by when?

Lol what is this guy's problem? Covid paranoia gone to your head?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Facebook Aunt posted:

On the upside everyone being covered in chlorinated water probably helps a little with fomites. When you rub your eyes with your chlorinated hand you probably won't transfer anything. On the downside it's impossible to wear a mask. Unless you can rig up some kind of N95 snorkel???

An outdoor pool would be safer, if you live in a place where outdoor pools are practical. If you live somewhere with outdoor pools and you don't have the social anxiety you could try to find someone who will let you use their backyard pool for whatever you'd pay to use an indoor pool. On facebook or nextdoor or something.

Or you could try to fool your brain. They think they're so smart but you can fool 'em. Walk to the pool, then turn around walk home. Walking is fantastic low-risk exercise.

Obviously long term sedentary lifestyle also has serious health risks. Eventually a sedentary lifestyle will cause organ damage, just slower than covid. If indoor swimming is your only realistic option you'll have to assess for yourself whether the risks of covid are worse than the risks of long term inactivity. Nobody can do that for you.

If you want, you could end up like this guy, forever convinced that any and all crowd contact is inherently too dangerous to do.

Or you could trust in your vaccinations, health, and the general understanding that you could be totally safe (and forego most of what makes living in a non-rural human society nice). Nothing against rural places, but they don't have the same density of communal places.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

So you're supposed to inform people that they are not required to wear a mask even if they don't have a mask on anyway?

Have you never worked with the military? Procedure is king sometimes, logic be damned.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Nam Taf posted:

Humans are generally really bad at understanding long-tail odds. "A lot" of people might find it baffling, but the overwhelming majority have simply ignored it as, at best, something that might happen to people that are not them. I am not disagreeing with you that some people will take precautions due to the vague and poorly understood consequences, however many multitudes more will take that vagueness and poor understanding and use it to ignore the risk as something that won't happen to them and so ignore any precautions that might help alleviate it.

Most people don't want to think about a horrible outcome that might, perhaps, maybe affect them. They much prefer to convince themselves that it won't happen to them, that they did "all the right things" by getting vaccinated and tolerating a mask for a few months as the government told them, and so now they don't have to wear that icky, annoying mask any more. They want a happy, carefree life, and all this covid stuff is harshing their buzz.

That's the totality of their thinking. Most people simply don't care any more.

e: I would be surprised if the number of people who genuinely cared and continued to take significant precautions in June 2022 exceeded 10% of the population, and I'm including people who are more aware of the risks due to health issues that place them at higher risk in that group. Significant precautions include masking, getting ongoing booster vaccinations, and substantial social distancing such as refusing to do indoor events.

I think you're attributing "they don't care" to people when it's more like for most of America it is "if you don't act normal then your entire social life and family life will be over, and you probably won't have a job anymore".

Fundamental attribution error, etc.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I think covid is excellent because it lets both ends of the crazy come out in public. Whether someone acts like there's not a pandemic going on, or stays home and eschews showing their unmasked face ever again, I can gloat with superiority that I am "doing the right thing" and someone will enthusiastically agree and someone else will scream at me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I'm genuinely curious, how do you reconcile this view of life with even the "pandemic is over, unmask and get back to normal!" CDC releasing studies estimating 1 in 5 infections result in long COVID?

Do you just not think about it? Do you doubt the CDC? Do you assume it won't happen to you? Or do you think long COVID is made up?

I'm not trying to badger here, I'm genuinely interested in your thought process and would be curious to hear it.

It's called you only get one life and most people who are participating in society is because we're already forced to at work, and/or would rather risk something than spend all of it cooped up and far away from our hobbies and social lives out of fear.

A life ruled by fear of possible consequences is not much of a life imo.