Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Bape Culture posted:

We’ve gone from 60k at Christmas to 2k/day.

But it almost seems too good to be true compared to other countries graphs idk it’s absolutely fuxkin amazing. The scientists who developed the vaccines should be given anything they want.

Wasn't the UK also in lockdown for like four months from New Year's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Bape Culture posted:

Yeah. We came out of it mostly a few weeks back. Everyone was still going to work though. Schools were back etc. So it still seems very very promising that the vaccine is working amazingly.

We’ve all but stopped international travel too. Need tests and have to pay £1750 to stay in a quarantine hotel for 10 days.

Yeah, if comparing directly to the US (which has more or less the same percentage of adults fully vaxxed) I'd say the lockdown, even if most people were still at the office etc, would be what accounts for that huge difference. I know it differs from region to region but my impression of the US is that there's been basically no restrictions at all across huge swathes of the nation.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Buff Hardback posted:

there's a few different ways media have been handling COVID, and some are good, some are not so good.

1. Just pretend it doesn't exist in the universe, and go about your day. This has been working pretty well for some shows, and has led to some interesting cinematography choices (The Rookie did an episode a few weeks back that was shot solely from cameras that while a bit forced, only would exist in universe, so the body camera shots they've already used, police car cameras, a surveillance camera, stuff like that). It does result in awkward framing of shots sometime where you're obviously trying to keep your primary talent 6+ feet away from a 2 line actor.

I want this to be the case going forward as well. No docudramas, no period pieces, no thank you - let's just all memory hole this loving year forever.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I love how they say "we've gotten this far" as though America's overall pandemic response has been anything other than a worst-case scenario

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Fallows posted:

*burns left over masks*

Glad this is over with finally.

Get ready for the part of the pandemic in which the developed world goes back to normal and there are stricter-than-ever border controls with the developing world!

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Is "normal" where people go "oh yeah my 37 year old friend got covid and he's in the hospital but whatever" while they eat buffalo wild wings and also get covid?

I realize a shitload of people are doing this now but now everybody has the government's go-ahead and encouragement to be this when we are still way under vaccinated according to recent, previous outlined necessities.

It feels like the government is just going "well, gently caress it, they're all going to do whatever they want anyhow. May as well tell them it's cool."

Oh, I'm talking like 2022-2025ish (or perhaps beyond!). America probably still has another wave in it, but if we're going to reach herd immunity it's absolutely going to be limited to rich countries for several years to come.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

The vaccine rollout could be going faster but I'm a bit sick of the media genre of "Australian expat back from Britain rages against our slow rollout." The country you just came from got 100,000+ people killed, who gives a flying gently caress if they're vaccinating quickly now? Too late!

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Lolie posted:

It's largely the government's fault.

At the beginning of the year people wanted the vaccine ASAP and were angry that the rollout wasn't planned to start until March. The government tried to deflect that anger by saying that we didn't need to hurry because we essentially had no community transmission. The clusterfucks which have happened since then have only served to make people who may have been highly motivated initially more reluctant because trust in anything the government says about vaccination is now pretty much shattered.

Even before the rollout started it was known that community leaders would play a big role in encouraging minority groups to get vaccinated, but I haven't seen the kinds of campaigns I would have expected. My doctor's surgery has big posters about all sorts of vaccinations on its walls, but only an A4 notice it has printed itself to say it's offering the covid vaccine. It's possible those types of materials were never produced because it was assumed he covid vaccine would "sell" itself.

The single biggest issue is the government dis-recommending AZ based on a negligible blood clotting risk. I know plenty of boomers who have no issue with getting vaccinated but don't want to get AZ.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

nexous posted:

the difference is a plane running into a building is black or white, either you end up exploding or you don’t.

covid on the other hand only kills the weak and elderly and I’m not gonna be one of the weak people so it’s no big deal

It's this. It has nothing to do with 9/11 being big screen horrific theatrical, and everything to do with the fact that the average joe just doesn't expect the old or the disabled to live for much longer anyway, and therefore doesn't assign their lives the same value.

If COVID was somhow uniquely attuned to infecting and killing children we would have seen a very different response.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Nothing would've been funnier than if Johnson or Trump carked it, but since they didn't, Christmas tree costume takes the prize

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Question: would it have been funnier if Johnson died, or if Trump died? I think Johnson, because he's relatively fresher to power and unlike Trump he devoted years and years and years to scheming his way into the prime ministership and when he eventually got there it felt like a sort of inevitable moment, and it's really funny that he then got almost immediately blindsided by this extremely unusual crisis situation and it would have been even funnier if that killed him and everybody else was left to deal with the mess that he wrought.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Kragger99 posted:

This might come across as doomposting, but it's a serious question.
With much of the US going maskless, and variants mutating in parts of the world that lessen the efficacy of vaxxes, aren't we moving into a new normal where covid is just accepted a part of everyday life, and the vaccines (which will most likely require boosters every 6-12 months) basically lower the chances of having severe symptoms/dying, keeping the hospitals from being overwhelmed? I know there's a lot of other factors involved, but if the hospitals aren't being overwhelmed, why would anyone in Gov't/general pop care about it as long as the economy has number go up, and they could still enjoy the amazing appetizers at Applebees?
There will be a pocket of people like me that continue to wear masks, and take things way more seriously, but generally once people get back to "normal", why would they give that up if the threat is low that they will have severe symptoms/die from it?
My hope is that the group that continues to mask/not go out everyday/night is large enough that it still impacts the economy, but I'm worried it will get smaller as things progress.

Please poke holes in my assumptions, as I don't want them to happen, as they are making my already fragile mental state worse.

I have absolutely no idea how any of this will play out in the long-term (nobody does) but it's important to remember that unchecked COVID spread and pushback against masks etc is mostly a Western thing. Community transmission of COVID is still considered an unacceptable policy by a lot of governments around the world, most importantly China. If COVID and its variants come to be accepted as another type of seasonal flu in some parts of the world, that doesn't necessarily hold true for others, and that's going to have impacts on international travel and trade.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

For the record, although I spent this whole pandemic staying at home when I wasn't at work or needing to go to the store, always masked when I went out, barely saw my parents and when I did it was with a mask, I stopped the ridiculous "wipe all your groceries down!" poo poo after the first month. I never thought that there was a big risk, or much of any risk, for transmission from surfaces, and even less so the more information I got. I agree that the likely reason people are still doing all that stuff is that they heard way back at the beginning that surface transmission was bad and so they just never corrected that behavior.

I almost feel like it's just an OCD "tick" that people will never shake, like there are going to be people who just will never stop doing weird rituals to keep themselves safe because they formed the habit and now their PTSD prevents them from stopping doing it.

This was 100% me as the Victorian second wave was winding down - I was sanitising my keys, bankcard and phone every time I came back in the house from a jog even up to the point where the entire state recorded no new cases. Fully aware of how ridiculous it was but I'd ingrained it and couldn't help myself. It was only on the day we recorded no active cases, let alone no new cases, I was like, OK mate, this is the last off-ramp, you need to force yourself to stop unless you want to have OCD for the rest of your life. And I still felt weird about it for a few weeks.

There must just be something evolutionary embedded in our monkey brains about contaminated surfaces.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Lolie posted:

Today's "covid is coming" statement comes from the Australian Medical Association.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...vid-crisis-hits

I can accept this coming from medical experts if the ulterior motive behind the messaging is "get loving vaccinated you idiot boomers," but I'm tired of the business lobby gearing up the PR machine over the past few weeks to decide that Australia needs to go back to fully open borders pronto. It's not actually going to happen, so whatever, but it is getting really tedious.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

It was an incredible misstep by the government to advise against AZ for over-50s, but it has been funny watching boomers, who have lived their whole lives in this country having the red carpet laid out for them, lose their poo poo about suddenly not getting exactly what they want exactly when they want it.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Platystemon posted:

You have fifteen people, and the fifteen within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero.

It loving well better be because I want to go on my holiday to the Kimberley in June.

I expect we're heading for a statewide lockdown tomorrow, especially since there's now contact sites in Bendigo and on the Murray.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The list of exposure sites is now up to 70 venues all over the state, with several only a couple hundred metres from my house

https://www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au/exposure-sites

The covid is closing in on me :tinfoil:

Was in a cafe in the CBD the other day (because I now have a job where I can't work from home, joy of joys) and some old fart was whining to the owner about how we're going to go back into lockdown, which drives me up the wall because we do this to protect old people and so many of them just dgaf, and he was saying "has anyone even died from the virus this year" without seeming to connect that statistic with harsh containment measures.

The owner was complaining in turn that he'll lose heaps of revenue, which I have more sympathy for because it must loving suck to run a business in these times, but come on, man, would you rather do five days of lockdown or fifty? Or "learn to live with the virus" which entails foot traffic in the CBD dropping by half indefinitely as everybody goes back to working from home? I'm sure that would be real great for your bottom line.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Lolie posted:

Victorians 40 and over are now eligible for vaccination and getting vaccinated is one of the valid reasons for leaving home during the lockdown.

So far, over 10,000 primary and secondary contacts have been identified and over 100 exposure sites across the state.

We'll nip this one in the bud soon enough - a lot of people seem to be freaking out that it's the start of another four month lockdown, but last time around we didn't go into lockdown until July 9, a day we recorded 149 cases. But these regular leaks are a serious loving pain in the rear end and I wish the government hadn't loving paused the AZ vaccine and thrown a panic into the boomers.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

As unpleasant as it is to have it intrude on your home life, the key is to download Teams to a phone app (or log in on the phone browser) so you can respond to messages and appear active even when you're on the couch.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

learnincurve posted:

The telegraph front page today is loving shocking. It’s all about how a group of concerned doctors, parents, and celebrities have written a letter asking Boris not to allow kids to be vaccinated because they feel it’s too dangerous and you might as well just play hbomberguy’s video about the MMR jab right now.

Here's the front page of Australia's only non-Murdoch metropolitan tabloid today:

https://twitter.com/westaustralian/status/1398274060501532678

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Taiwan, Vietnam and Thailand - all previously COVID green zones - have now seen breaches which are making cases skyrocket. Taiwan in particular is a sobering graph.

https://twitter.com/Lady_Gwendoline/status/1398936274174570496

Unless I'm mistaken that leaves Australia, New Zealand and China - and it always feels weird to just chuck China in as though it's not, like, a fifth of the global population - as the remaining major Asia-Pacific nations that are free of COVID. Yes, I'm writing this in Melbourne in day three of a seven-day lockdown, but that's for about two dozen cases and I'll happily take a week of lockdown every few months in exchange for normal life the rest of the time. (And the other 80% of Australians are carrying on unaffected.)

edit - also, Australia had virtually no leaks from its hotel quarantine system in most of 2020 apart from the one that caused the catastrophic Melbourne second wave last May/June, but since then we've had somewhere between 10-20 in five different states in the last six months. That would seem to be to be the same cause for three different COVID success nations experiencing big new outbreaks, which is a combination of more infectious variants + a generally higher infection rate worldwide statistically manifesting in the people who are still arriving in any given country, no matter what quarantine policies you have in place.

freebooter fucked around with this message at 11:42 on May 30, 2021

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Snorting coke and popping pills is a risk with the benefit of fun, whereas if you've been living your life as normal and think COVID is just a bad flu and don't really care about old people or disabled people, it's a (perceived) risk with no benefit at all

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Also most of you have been shut up inside your houses for a year and it's going to take a while to feel normal around crowds again. I was only in lockdown for seven-ish months and it still took me a few weeks to adjust to being in crowded public spaces again even though I knew there was zero COVID in my country.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

learnincurve posted:

Qantas, which is the main Australian airline has just announced it’s own vaccination lottery with chances to win free air travel for a year.

Pity we can't go anywhere!

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I expect that sort of bullshit from the US but today I found out in the UK apparently you have to pay for a COVID test???

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Given that Australia's only had a handful of COVID cases this year it's kind of alarming that we're having any at all where the infected person in question was already vaxxed:

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1401384742348525569

(This aged care resident and at least one hotel security guard, from memory.)

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

HazCat posted:

The good news for Melbourne is that 8 of those 11 cases are people who were contacts of the first cases, so they've been in quarantine this whole time.

Only 3 of today's cases have actually been out in the community.

Also, no mystery transmission, everyone has been linked back to a known case.

And anecdotally I am seeing way more businesses enforcing or at least putting signs up for QR code check-in, even just for picking up takeaway.

I think most people were basically only doing it before if they were sitting down to eat somewhere. Not for retail or grocery or anything. I wasn't, anyway.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah they toughened up the rules because these new strains are more contagious and more likely to pass with casual contact, shops now have to display QR codes as well.

There's been a few businesses who arked up about the whole QR deal and that did NOT go over well with the general public, oh boy

https://www.facebook.com/thedssouvlaki/posts/4340398892661153

There's been a lot of gnashing of teeth in this thread through the pandemic about how the virus was always going to rip through America because Americans are entitled and stupid, but this is just another example that people everyone are entitled and stupid, it's just that some of us are lucky enough to still have competent governments to protect us from ourselves.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Lolie posted:

Latest reports are that we cannot reach herd immunity with our current rate of vaccine hesitancy. Opening vaccination up to all age groups would seem a logical way to address this but our federal government seems committed to sticking to their hopelessly bungled rollout timetable.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2021-06-11/australians-need-to-be-vaccinated-to-stop-covid-restrictions/100195208

Both the ABC and Fairfax really seem to be gearing up for a run of "we have to let go of this zero COVID policy" based on... either lockdown fatigue or the idea that once everyone is vaccinated we shouldn't have to do it. If it's the latter you'd think maybe they could wait until everyone who wants to be is fully vaccinated rather than, right now, the vast bulk of Australians not even having had their first.

The federal government is thankfully not having a bar of it:

quote:

6PR host Liam Bartlett: Why don’t you take the lead on this, why don’t you put a firm date on Australia opening up and give people a reason to get the jab?

Morrison: Because the medical advice doesn’t support that... There’s no medical advice that I’ve received at any point in time, which gives a magical number of vaccinations that enable you to provide that level of certainty to Australians about when that can occur because. I mean, you don’t go from shut one day, fully open the next. That’s not how it works. I mean, you go to where I’m heading to. To the UK. I mean, they have vaccination rates up in the 70s and with their older population even higher than that, and they have 4000 cases a day like that but they also...

Host Liam Bartlett: They also have borders open to a lot more countries than we do.

Morrison: Exactly, so if you’re suggesting that we, we should be aiming for a position where we can have 4000 cases a day then I know I don’t think Australians would agree with you, I don’t agree... This is exactly, that’s why the vaccination program is incredibly important and that will give us more and more and more options going forward. But I’m not about to swing the doors open and open up Australia to 4000 cases a day. I mean all that would do is shut the country down internally, and it would ruin our economy. So we’re not about to do that either.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

It’s probably a moot point as short of mandatory vaccination we won’t be reaching herd immunity, and even if we did there’s plenty of other countries that won’t which will act as reservoirs for the virus and spread it through travel.

Which brings us full circle, i.e. this is the reason border restrictions aren't going away any time soon irrespective of Australia's internal vaccination target.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

I don't think there's enough people who can't get vaccinated to justify shutting the borders, those people will already be at risk of common stuff like the flu and presumably already take precautions to prevent that. The ones who won't get vaccinated (but could if they wanted) aren't worth protecting, those fuckers can take their chances with covid. At least with most of the population immune the virus will spread much slower so it's unlikely we'll ever end up with the health system collapsing under thousands of anti vaxxers dying en masse.

I didn't say "shutting the border," I said border restrictions. It's not going to be a big switch that flips everything back to normal. We're going to see different restrictions based on the country you're returning from, whether or not you're vaccinated, whether you're quarantining in a hotel/facility or your own home, whether you're a business or leisure traveller, etc etc. And that will remain in place for years to come.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

fappenmeister posted:

A few years ago, before covid, the venue hosting the mass vaccination hub would put on massive rowdy beer festivals. They were usually packed, and it was such a good environment to socialise.

Went to the beer festival a month ago at Jeff's Shed and it sucked rear end not having it in the Exhibition Centre, terrible acoustic and aesthetics.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I was meant to fly up to the Kimberley in remote Western Australia this week because I have some family from Perth going up there for a trip doing camping and four-wheel driving etc, which I've been really looking forward to after a heavy six months of work and my last semester of uni, and also because when else am I ever going to go there plus I haven't seen most of my family since 2019... but of course we had a small outbreak in Melbourne recently and WA's border remains closed (unless you want to quarantine for two weeks) to any state that's had any community transmission in the previous 14 days. So that's scratched.

And I know millions of people all over the world have died, and tens or hundreds of millions have had restrictions on their freedoms even more so than anyone in Melbourne, and this is 100% first world problems, but the timing of it just really loving sucked. If the outbreak had occurred even a few weeks in either direction, I would have either already been over there, or we would've got back to 14 days of no transmission. That's my vent, cheers.

(Also I can understand and in fact still even support WA's harsh border policies - my personal travel and seeing my family is not as important as 2.5 million people living like it's 2019 for the past 18 months, and continuing to do so - but gently caress me dead, do the polite thing and turn off the targeted Tourism WA ads for browsers with IP addresses in Victoria.)

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

I think that regardless of if the lab hosed up and spread a new virus, their risky-rear end research (amplifying novel coronaviruses to try to figure out what to do about them if they got out) did NOT loving HELP AT ALL with the exact situation they justified their research with. They were supposed to know what to do about this poo poo they were studying, handle it better and such.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

pretty sure a lab studying virus genetics didn't help china with its lockdown policy, and sinovax is the three legged dog of the covid vaccines

Apart from, perhaps, "hey this is really loving bad you can't business-as-usual your way through it"

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Helith posted:

WTF? His age and occupation should have put him at the front of the queue for it.
I’ll reserve judgement until it’s said why he wasn’t. Could be the feds fault, could be his.

"a driver in a role which includes transporting international air crew."

Code for 100% a contractor or Uber driver or some poo poo.

Galewolf posted:

Thank you very much for the above post, this explains quite a lot. I mean, I'm sure some Australians would love the prospect of forever closed off country but having an unvaxxed country with no internal restrictions sounds pretty :ohdear: and hopefully you'll catch up. Even the world leader on vaccine skepticism France is like at 21% fully vaxxed with 40 mil. first doses, :cmon:

Well yeah it's easy when you can manufacture the stuff

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Galewolf posted:

About the UK-AU travel / visa thing. It feels like UK government just wanted to have the green list populated with some names that aren't overseas territories, they threw Portugal under the bus like in 3 weeks.

The expanded visa and youth mobility (it was 25 iirc, 35 is quite a liberal term for "youth" lmao) visas is probably (?) some hare brained scheme about filling the gaps of Brexit with Australians. About that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9cP-1kC3So&t=53s

The Aus/UK visa arrangement thing is something long term going forward post-COVID, it has nothing to do with the UK's "green list" - there is no chance of British backpackers returning to Australia this year and certainly no chance of them doing so without two weeks of quarantine.

The reason Australia has agreed to it is because, as you note, it's something Johnson wants to wave around as expanding mobility with the Commonwealth to appease the Brexit voters, and Australia couldn't give a gently caress one way or the other about how many British backpackers come here and so will happily make that "concession" (lol) in return for removing tariffs on our ag sector.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Lolie posted:

Australia's vaccination guidelines have changed yet again, with AZ now being recommended only for those 60 and over.

It has been loving great watching the boomers scream and moan about not having the red carpet rolled out for the first time in their lives, and it's going to be even funnier watching the 60+ cohort only intensify their tantrums

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

loving perfect.

Don't think I mentioned it in this thread but I (in Melbourne, current mild outbreak and semi-lockdown) was sitting in the queue to get COVID tested the other day because I had a sore throat and rang my mum in Western Australia (never any outbreaks, 100% COVID-free hard border situation) who during the conversation maintained that she wasn't going to get the AZ vaccine because she was concerned about blood clots and wants to wait for Pfizer and there just wasn't any need to get it because there's "no COVID in WA" - while every sentence was interrupted with a massive, wracking cough, because of "this flu thing that's been going around."

I don't actually think there's some massive undetected outbreak of COVID cases in Fortress Western Australia - it would have cropped up in the hospitalisation stats by now - but it was a stark illustration of how complacent they are, and gently caress me dead, if it ever slips through the quarantine like it did in Melbourne last year they're in deep poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Nobody ended up "worse off" by taking AZ. It is a good vaccine!