Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Have there being trials for younger children?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

ShadowHawk posted:

If "current trends continue" (~25% decline in cases every 2 weeks), then in six weeks US cases should be down about 60% from what they are now.

Of course, maybe they'll decline faster (more people will be vaccinated, warmer weather). Or slower (fewer precautions). Either way the world will be very different in six weeks, and it will definitely vary a lot region to region.

I'm curious to see how things go in my city. It's a tiny city in comparison to Mexico city, so I guess it will be easier to follow how the vaccines are helping out. And I believe we won't notice until the people in their 40's and 30's get vaccinated.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The flu does spread via fomites but not as well as it does via aerosols. Different viruses stay intact on surfaces for wildly different amounts of time. Hep B can stay on contaminated surfaces for two weeks. HIV can stay on contaminated surfaces for minutes. SARS-CoV-2 is luckily more like HIV than Hep B.

No matter what we should still wash our hands and don't shove our fingers up our noses after touching every surface around us.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Being nervous around needles is incredibly rare so of course they’re suspicious of it.

Nah, it’s more common than not even with the drat near imperceptible needles they use for this shot. There’s people that completely pass out when they need a blood draw. You’re fine.

Back when mom got her first shot she told me there was this old man that freaked out and started to cry before the neddle even poked him. Bunch of nurses, a psychologist and even a random pastor that showed out of nowhere tried to calm him.Poor guy was afraid the vaccine was going to kill him.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Lawlicaust posted:

Edit: And honestly, I think I may engage some level of masking, regular anti-bacterial sanitization and distancing even after things calm down and Covid is a smaller threat. I haven’t had a cold, stomach, flu, absolutely nothing contagious and transmittable since this started. It’s been great to have no one in my family get the pukes for a full year.

Yeah, as stupid as it sounds I might keep masking for public transport* and if I ever return to a tiny windowless office. It feels good not spending all my earnings in doctors trying to find out what type of bug I got.

*Public transport in my city is very third world-ish. Imagine riding a small van crammed with 20 people in it, during a hot summer, and having one of the passengers cough in your face with their mouth open and not being able to move away because you will end staring directly at some dude's farting butt.

I don't miss it.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I’m definitely not antivaxx, but I do wonder what’s going on.

*laughs in Mexican who has lived 4 decades in a very corrupted government and is not surprised they would do their best to hide the real numbers*

So yes, the answer is corruption and negligence. The usual.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

wilderthanmild posted:

Where do you see Uruguay having 66% with 1 dose? A quick search says they are at only 39% receiving 1 dose. Another big factor may be how many of those are Sinovac as that vaccine is notably less effective.

Another factor to consider with Uruguay is that they didn't start seeing significant cases until earlier this year. So they wouldn't have many people with natural immunity running around, contrast this to the united states where we likely had anywhere from 30 to 90 million past infections(depending on how good you think testing coverage was) when vaccination really took off in earnest earlier this year. So the number of people they'd need to vaccinate to start seeing any slowdown or reach herd immunity would be far greater.

Edit: I'd like to add that I don't love comparing different countries when it comes to covid statistics. It's not even that perfect between states, it just seems like it adds a whole new layer of variables to consider regarding data accuracy between countries. Different countries all have different degrees of difficulty in collecting and reporting data. It's also harder to standardize what counts for cases and deaths. That's not even considering that some countries may be less honest than others for all kinds of reasons.

Yeah, don't blindly trust any data that comes from LatAm countries. There's no secret mystery of why some countries are so low in numbers. In the case of my dear Mexico, we are having elections in a couple of months so lots of políticians are making sure the numbers seem low so they can freely go on their public campaings.

Morena (the current president's party) also wants to win the teacher's unions hence they got vaccinated asap and are opening schools too early.

A big example is Campeche, a state that since the start of the pandemic would constantly claim to have zero cases, open up everything and then eventually close down when the real numbers started to show, then repeat.

By the way they were news last week about how they were considering to close down Cancún, as poo poo was getting out of control. But hotel and restaurants unions don't want to.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Freezer posted:

You might be overseeing that it's Fall (going into Winter) in the southern hemisphere. It's not warm at all in Uruguay right now.

I went to check and Montevideo is currently at 15°C, while my very hot southern Mexican city is at 35°C....39°C tomorrow :toot: . (Mexico city at 26°C).

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Schools are gonna open in Mexico City June 9th. Assistance is optional. But we all know teachers and people who work on schools will be forced to attend. This is gonna be a huge mess.

and NO we didn't find a magical cure, neither the weather is killing the virus. Elections are coming and some people believe the parties are trying to win the vote of the unions. We really are not sure why are they making such idiotic decisions, considering that all kids will be out for vacations mid/end of June.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Oh look is The One Joke(tm).

:cringe: Humans suck rear end.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Seems I might be able to get the vaccine next month!!! :kingsley::siren:holyshitthankgod:siren::kingsley:

I'll let you know if my stupid immune system decides to knock me out.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Picnic Princess posted:

Hopefully not too badly! Mine was bad enough I convinced my husband he had to get his dose on a Friday so he wouldn't be suffering at work if his symptoms were anywhere close to mine, but he only felt a bit more tired than normal. Lucky jerk.

Yeah, no one in my family got it bad. At much one of my sisters slept for a whole day and that was it.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Finally got my first shot!
Also it was surprise AstraZeneca. Arm got a bit sore but now it's kinda gone.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Field trip from AstraZeneca:

I didn't die. Arm is a bit sore. After the first hour I started to sweat a lot, lol. Got home, slept a bit and then spent like 20 minutes struggling to wake up to turn off the A/C. I dunno how to explain it, I spent a couple of hours in a very "meh" mood.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

This might seem a little weird but I’ll ask anyway.

My wife was talking to me about women reporting irregularities in their period after the shot and now she’s reporting the same ( it’s super early when it’s normally with in a few days). Is there any real data on this?

Oh I'm interested. Aside from my whole body hurting,like every joint and muscle, I got a sudden constant bad menstrual cramp. Whole afternoon lying down holding my stomach. Ugh. There's still like two weeks and a half for the bloody period.

I think I'm starting to feel better now. Cramp is gone and I can lift my arm. I'm still having that sensation like when you get the flu and are about to get a fever. Uh, I also got VERY thirsty.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

feelix posted:

goons probably have a disproportionately high incidence of side effects because of being out of shape alcoholics and also the goon psyche increasing the chance of nocebo

Maybe. Or maybe it has to do with the ovaryan cyst I have.
And getting the same mosquito borne illness twice in the span of five years.

:v: Body is wrecked lmao

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

since this thread is full of detailed vaccine side effect nightmares i'll just chime in and say I and everyone i know who got the vaccine (pfizer and az) did not have side effects worth mentioning. maybe a sore arm

Yeah, my mom only felt slighty tired, one of my sisters had the "sleeping all day" side effect along with the sore arms.

I got the "my whole body hurts, I'm out energy gently caress the world" side effect. But know Im feeling okay! I can lift my arm!

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Oh good! I hope they can deal with the other mosquito borne illness as well. We got like 4 different ones over here and every year they kill lots of people. They have tried everything from massive fumigations to those genetical altered mosquitos.

It would be a medical miracle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Covid--19 cases went to the rise in my country once elections ended.
that goes for the goon who thought we had some magical anti-covid Mexican secret.

The secret is called: pretend it's not happening and hope no one notices.

And the delta variant is already here, so welp!