Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Immunocomprobud here. Do the antibody test if it'll help you feel better. You should be okay to go, but caution is always a great thing.

It can also make you feel worse if it says no antibodies even though those are just one part of your immune response. An antibody test isn’t going to detect T and B cells for it, which are very important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

“Basic hygiene” for the flu was understood to be clean hands. It turns out that’s really not a major mode of SARS‐CoV‐2 transmission and there is every reason to suspect that the flu is the same way.

The two effective ways to avoid the flu were getting vaccinated and not hanging out with a bunch of people indoors. All the teachers with the hand sanitiser habit just got lucky. Maybe some will wear masks now, but that was never a thing before because our understanding of “basic hygiene” was woefully inaccurate.

The flu does spread via fomites but not as well as it does via aerosols. Different viruses stay intact on surfaces for wildly different amounts of time. Hep B can stay on contaminated surfaces for two weeks. HIV can stay on contaminated surfaces for minutes. SARS-CoV-2 is luckily more like HIV than Hep B.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

4.2 is a lot higher than 1 in 10,000 like it is with SARS-CoV-2. It’s not a huge source of infections but it is still there in a non-trivial amount, and that article even mentions use of hand washing and disinfection to limit spread.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

I responded to a statement that “if we had done basic hygiene before this then most of those flu deaths were preventable as well.”

Which is is? Most flu deaths were preventable with basic hygiene, or basic hygiene was already in effect and that’s the reason fomites didn’t place higher? I realize I’m talking to two different people here, but you can’t both be right.

You’ll find plenty of articles even today mentioning the use of hand washing and disinfection to limit the spread of COVID‐19.

I also wouldn’t take either of those numbers as gospel. We are watching a paradigm shift in progress. A lot of textbooks will read differently in a few years.

There’s a huge difference between the flu numbers for fomites and the novel coronavirus is all. You can actually prevent cases of the flu with handwashing, albeit not many.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

the chief v2 posted:

The article also said that 2/3 of those infected were unvaccinated and that 60% of the vaccines given were the non AZ one. I don’t know if you can make much from it. Need to know more about the non AZ vaccine and infection associated with those who were vaccinated

The sinovac vaccine is notably garbage. Even the Chinese government has come out to say it sucks rear end, and they rarely admit mistakes.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BBQ Dave posted:

I work in the dining department of a retirement community so I got my Pfizer shots a while ago but the second one floored me for four days. Tired, ache, couldn't get warm.

Pfizer two hosed me up for a while but I’m not sure if it was as bad as Pfizer One. I worked through Pfizer One so naturally everything felt worse but I also got some weird side effects like blurry vision (I’m usually a bit nearsighted, and my close up vision was fine, but anything that was usually a little blurry was noticeably blurrier. It’s like a .001 percent side effect) that I didn’t get the second time around. Both lasted for three days for me.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Aardvark! posted:

what convinced people that stupid to get the vaccine in the first place? Shouldn't they be protesting the vaccines as some kind of plot by Bill Gates?

I can see the misguided thought process. My vaccines got me sicker than the actual virus did for some people I know, it’s not just a flu vax “feeling crummy for a day” thing. It comes down to how much of a dice roll this virus is and if you haven’t seen how sick it can make you it’ll gently caress with your risk perception.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I have absolutely nothing to back this up, but my thoughts are if the vaccine knocks out someone, chances are the actual virus would have done a lot more damage.

AstraZeneca will probably be the first one available for me. I'm hoping that when supply catches up we can take more than one version. Gotta catch 'em all.

I mean, I got super tuned up by both so it’s kind of my thinking as well, also there’s been studies about serum proteins in fatal vs severe vs mild cases that shows some significant immune response effects.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Chief McHeath posted:

I just got #2 and they poked me while I was feeling the paperwork and I was a little shaky just because of the emotions I mentioned earlier. Four minutes into my 15 minute wait, hope they don't count nervousness/anxiety as a reason to keep you.

Being nervous around needles is incredibly rare so of course they’re suspicious of it.

Nah, it’s more common than not even with the drat near imperceptible needles they use for this shot. There’s people that completely pass out when they need a blood draw. You’re fine.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Saros posted:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7924304/

Indications are a single dose is roughly equivalent to a covid infection.
The TLDR from this, per the graph at the end and the conclusion:
-antibody levels from an infection OR single dose are about the same
-Antibody levels from an infection AND a single dose are on the level of no infection AND two doses
-Antibody levels from an infection AND two doses are not notably higher than no infection AND two doses

The discussion does state that an alternate protocol to give people who’ve had it just one dose would be valid.

It also mentions side effects in people who’ve had it are worse on dose one than the second shot for people who haven’t had it which definitely maps to my experience, I was super sick after my first shot.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fur20 posted:

tinnitus mostly cleared up, just like with real covid. im glad of being able to hear music again, as well as the irritating high frequency noises produced by lamps

Those 1 in 10000+ side effects suck the most. I won the side effect lottery and had blurry vision and it was super concerning because it wasn’t really documented in any of the standard vaccine stuff.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Riptor posted:

I had covid at the end of March and increased hunger was a very noticeable and weird symptom, which became extremely frustrating to me when it lined up with loss of taste since eating just became laborious and not fun at all.

For like three days before I got sick I had no appetite at all. Everything still tasted and smelled the same, but I was barely eating.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
They routinely test sports teams so you’re going to see a higher rate of asymptomatic vaccinated positives there, or anywhere else where routine tests are common. It’s not unexpected and it doesn’t mean the vaccines aren’t doing what they’re supposed to do. Even a small viral load will come up positive there, it’s why recovered, noncontangious people can test positive for up to a month after they had it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pistol_Pete posted:

Covid's a virus: there's always going to be new variants. There's no going back to square one: the absolute worst case here is that we have to tweak an existing vaccine to deal with it; it's a speed bump not a road block. Sure, monitor it carefully as this is a new virus that we're still learning to understand but I'm not seeing anything to immediately panic about here.

The reason it was so hosed at the start is because that was square one. The variants are different but they’re not so different that your body will have no idea what to do, so any prior exposure or vaccination will be a tremendous help.

Plus the mRNA vaccines are easy to modify so any later vaccines are going to be a much easier rollout now that the infrastructure is spun up.

Also COVID isn’t a virus, it’s the disease caused by a virus and I will never not die on this hill of pedantry

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

wilderthanmild posted:

That's the moving average I believe. Everywhere I check shows the 7 day average, which is not impacted by weekends.

Yeah, whenever they’re reporting on daily averages it’s always a rolling 7 day period that’s used.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

mania posted:

Goddamn there are 38 community case today in Singapore, of which 18 we’re not linked to any previous cases.

Vaccinated American goons, please keep wearing your masks. A good portion of the people who caught it were already vaccinated but they still got infected again and it seems like some of the vaccinated folk managed to spread it to others. The silver lining is that the vaccinated folk had mild to no symptoms and so far haven’t require oxygen.

I wish my parents would go get vaccinated. They had the chance but didn’t go because they’re being all suspicious about the mRNA vaccines (we only have pifzer and moderna here). :sigh:

Have they said which vaccines the breakthrough cases got? I know Singapore had a lot of Sinovac use which is notably less effective than the other vaccines.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

A Fancy Hat posted:

Had our election gone different, or if there had been a full insurrection on January 6th, I have to imagine our vaccine rollout would have been a lot worse. The original plan was just "let's ship it to the states and wipe our hands of it, who cares". I work in logistics and those December/early January shipments were wild. We never got accurate counts of how many vaccines were going where, and generally the communication was just "Hey we heard X hospital is getting some vaccines this week. Keep your eyes open!"

If we had gotten the full Republican grift train involved I'd probably be buying vaccination appointments from scalpers on stubhub or something.

I would have been vaccinated a month earlier if trump hadn’t hosed up that stuff so bad. My original first dose was scheduled for 1/24 but had to be cancelled the week prior because a bunch of shipments never showed up.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pastamania posted:

The bit where everyone started listening to sea shanty's sure was a moment.

What started that, anyway?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

okay legitimate question: do people not remember that masks in hospitals were the norm before this for those who were in the ICU and stuff? I honestly think it's a good idea for it to be more widespread long-term in hospitals regardless of covid. Colds and flus kill sensitive patients and it seems like it'd be a great way to prevent that spread, too.

Contact isolation was very much the exception in hospitals and not the norm, at least in the ER and on floors. Even when I went in the ICU to pick someone up or drop someone off I rarely saw it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1396015144233222144

e: Because I know people won't bother to click through - for context, this is basically in line with the real-world pre-variant efficacy numbers we've been seeing in the population as a whole, with a mixture of Pfizer and Oxford vaccines. So now it really is just a race to get the jabs in the arms at a faster rate to account for the faster spread of this variant.

For months they’ve been saying that it didn’t look like it was particularly resistant to the immune response from the vaccine but having hard numbers on it is fantastic. I wouldn’t be incredibly shocked if it wasn’t really particularly deadlier, either, given that India is basically perfectly set up for secondary infections to be doing most of the killing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

King Vidiot posted:

Is there any article, CDC report or whatever that says how low-risk surface transmission of COVID is? My library is finally set to reopen, and last I checked everybody was adamant about not accepting IDs from people to scan for new library cards, and not taking money from them for making copies or prints, etc. I think it's completely silly, I've read a couple of articles that say as much, and I think the way we're planning on handling things is ridiculous. I just didn't know if there were any official statements about surface transmission I could cite to try and argue my case.

I feel like we're going to have our hands full with certain people just trying to get them to wear a mask at this point, let alone telling them they have to send us an email and wait a few days to even be able to check stuff out.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30678-2/fulltext

It’s kind of frustrating how many places are focusing on stuff like deep cleaning even though it’s basically useless. I guess it’s nice and viable though so it makes people feel better.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Basically everyone I’ve seen in Albany is still wearing masks, I was surprised. I think I saw one person without one since Wednesday.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CaptainSarcastic posted:

If places are doing the deep cleaning instead of actually helpful covid-preventative stuff like dealing with ventilation then yeah, it's frustrating. But I hope they keep up with sanitizing more because it does help with OTHER pathogens. I was attuned to surface transmission way before the pandemic, like always disinfecting grocery cart handles before use, and viewing doorknobs as an existential threat. Even if surface transmission is not really a thing with covid it is with other illnesses, and I'd like to see some of that focus on making surfaces less gross continue.

The problem is more the extent of the cleanings than the fact they’re doing it. There’s diminishing returns and if you’re mandating 8 cleanings a day, then doing them in active work areas is unavoidable. I’ve had to deal with multiple people getting cleaning supplies in their eyes because of it, it’s getting stupid.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

poverty goat posted:

this probably did help with the mild cold/flu season, though

To an extent, the flu is like ~4 percent fomite spread. The masks helped a lot more. I’m not averse to cleaning stuff but there’s a hyper focus on it and fomite spread in general (see that post about the IDs for the library) that I don’t like.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

mr_jolly posted:

Interesting that the UK government have been parroting that vaccines are still 85-90% effective against known variants in preventing symptomatic disease when the report from public health England last night that contains real world data shows AZ to be around 66% effective for B117 and 59.8% effective against B1617.2. That's after both jabs.

Are they giving the “against serious illness” numbers?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

QuarkJets posted:

The CDC page links to a study suggesting that the fomite transmission risk is maybe 1 in 10,000; specifically, that each time a fomite is touched by a healthy person there's a 0.01% likelihood of creating a covid-19 case. That may seem small, but that's the chance for every touch; how many library cards, dollar bills, and book covers might get handled in a single month?

Every time a contaminated surface is touched, and that same article mentions that nonporous surfaces like library cards and book covers are contaminated for no more than minutes. Even pour our ones don’t have a long time where the virus lasts on them- the CDC mentions 3 days and also points out that that’s under lab conditions that are made to maximize time the virus is intact.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

You can absolutely do better than three days* if you’re going for the high score.

*By a factor of seven.

My take is that the reason we don’t see more fomite transmission isn’t that the virus degrades on surfaces, it’s that the transfers between carrier and surface and between surface and new host are inefficient.

I think it’s more likely to be both, it degrades like hell on surfaces and the transfers are inefficient. You basically have to jam it up your nose to get infected via fomite.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

spouse posted:

My state lifted all restrictions, and, as I've been vaccinated for 3 full months now (healthcare), I decided to go to the store without a mask (I figured lots of people would be).

I should not have picked Trader Joe's.

No one said anything, but I was one of like 3 people in that very busy store not wearing a mask, and the other two looked like chud-types. :cripes:

Hahaha, this is exactly my situation too. I want to go places without a mask but I feel like people will think I’m some unvaccinated anti masker. At least at work they have verification so I won’t feel weird going massless there. It’s gonna be awesome not having to constantly raise my voice over the mask and machinery.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Chinese vaccine being absolute poo poo isn’t new, even the Chinese government did a low key “it sucks lol” a few months ago and they basically never admit mistakes.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Looks like the CDC guideline did make a difference when it came to interest in vaccines:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/05/27/health/vaccination-interest-cdc-mask-guidance/index.html

Vaccine finder got absolutely slammed on the 13th.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

If you'd had the television people using masks and stopping "FUN FISHING FOR EVERYBODY THIS WEEKEND ON THE LAKE!" with people unmasked and laughing and the old normal as early as last May, it would've been completely different.

The worrying about stuff outdoors was a pretty big misstep though, it was way safer than it was portrayed as being. The ventilation and UV made spread far, far lower than indoor stuff could ever be and it would have been a good alternative for people over riskier options, there’s been a few articles about it I’ll try to dig up.

E:not the one I wanted but have the WaPo one for now:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/04/13/covid-outside-safety/%3foutputType=amp

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 28, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Unlucky7 posted:

Uh, ignoring exactly who this is being used on, this sounds like a war crime.

If it was a war it would be, but though pepper agents are banned from war they’re completely above board for things outside of that. Like pepper spraying someone who is mugging you would be a war crime if you were a uniformed service member in a war zone “War crimes” are specific things and most people don’t really understand them- there’s tons of stuff that’s illegal in war mostly because of WWI. It’s actually a really interesting legal area.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ugly In The Morning posted:

If it was a war it would be, but though pepper agents are banned from war they’re completely above board for things outside of that. Like pepper spraying someone who is mugging you would be a war crime if you were a uniformed service member in a war zone “War crimes” are specific things and most people don’t really understand them- there’s tons of stuff that’s illegal in war but totally legal for home defense mostly because of WWI. It’s actually a really interesting legal area.

E:quote does not equal edit.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Fattest PI posted:

A woman (with a defect) started leaking cerebrospinal fluid after getting a nose swab for covid
https://www.forbes.com/sites/ninashapiro/2020/10/05/covid-19-nasal-swab-test-led-to-spinal-fluid-leak/

I'm probably being paranoid cause it's a rare defect but I've had a metallic/salty taste in the back of my throat since I got covid/got tested for it. Am I just being paranoid

The virus fucks with taste and metallic/salty tastes are common for when your sense of taste is hosed with. Hell, I’ve had the metallic taste when I’ve been an IV pinchusion for medic students and they slam saline too hard.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

freebooter posted:

Also most of you have been shut up inside your houses for a year and it's going to take a while to feel normal around crowds again. I was only in lockdown for seven-ish months and it still took me a few weeks to adjust to being in crowded public spaces again even though I knew there was zero COVID in my country.

This is why I’m so glad I volunteered full time last summer doing ambulance stuff. I never had the chance to get all worried about being out and about. Now that I’m fully vaccinated and have had it ive been mostly doing without a mask and holy crap it’s been great. I still keep a mask in my pocket just in case but I rarely use it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Or at least incredibly low numbers. I don't think we'll ever see the end of covid at this point, entirely, because people can't deal with waiting that long. But yeah. At least lower than 500+ dead yesterday and another 16,000-some odd infections. It isn't even entirely the daily stats. It's that we have 5.5M cases still active in the US; over a third of all the world's cases entirely. We really, really need to cool our jets and let some more of this fade off.

Where are you getting 5.5M active cases? There’s been 34 million total, 1/7 of those being active doesn’t really make sense with the dramatic reduction in new cases.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It's been like 75 percent minimal side effects and 25 percent noticeable ones with the people I know, and the only people I know that got absolutely laid the gently caress out were people who also had the virus at some point.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It would have to be a breakthrough asymptomatic case for him followed by you having a breakthrough case from catching 20 percent of the viral load you would get from an unvaccinated asymptomatic person. It’s very, very unlikely.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Castaign posted:

I think that claiming that 20%+ of vaccinated people will catch Covid if exposed might be overstating the risk a bit.

Testing positive is different than catching it, the PCR tests are absurdly sensitive. Recovered and no contagious people can test positive for up to thirty days from viral leftovers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Castaign posted:

Interesting, and not something I knew. Thanks for the info!

I still think that the claim that over one fifth of vaccinated people will test positive after Covid exposure requires some supporting evidence.

Oh definitely, I just wanted to point out the difference in terms there.