Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The CDC director did an interview the other day where she pointed out that 75% of people who have died from covid had "at least four comorbidities, so really these are people who were unwell to begin with, and yes really encouraging news" which did NOT go over well with a certain section of the community

https://twitter.com/exceedhergrasp1/status/1479553642281652224
https://twitter.com/gadujardin/status/1479575786382413826
She said 75% of dead vaccinated people, not 75% of all dead people. Her message is that you usually have to be very, very sick for vaccines to fail you. Vaccines work.

Of course, right wing media took it for a spin. If you have the same talking points as Trump Jr. you may need to reevaluate your media literacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Sure, we’re ghouls and monsters, let’s just say that’s true if that’ll make you happy.

Anyway, for anyone else interested, I’ll post her full quote here for context:

“You know really important study if I may just summarize it. A study of 1.2 million people who were vaccinated between December and October and demonstrated that severe disease occurred in about 0.015% of the people who received their primary series and death in 0.003% of those people. The overwhelming number of deaths, over 75%, occurred in people who had at least four comorbidities. So really these are people who were unwell to begin with. And yes, really encouraging news in the context of Omicron.”

Link to research: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/pdfs/mm7101a4-H.pdf

The study’s about two-dose vaccined people so the actual numbers should be a lot better for boosted folks.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Wow.

Just yesterday I was facepalming at New Orleans’ ridiculously fake respirators, but New York makes them look like 3 loving M.

This, and the one in the first tweet above, is a KN95. It’s comparable to the N95. Looks like the manufacturer just rebranded it lol. Not to say it couldn’t be a fake KN95 to begin with. But my guess is it’s not that easy to source for NIOSH-approved N95s in large quantities right now.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

MrQwerty posted:

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/respirators/testing/NonNIOSHresults.html non-NIOSH results by the CDC using beeswax seal

https://seattleppe.com/collections/cdc-powecom-kn95-test-report

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I1tVzLPkQ8 this youtube guy that works at a mask manufacturer with a non-beeswax machine, he does a lot of stuff and it turns up the bad stuff as reliably as the CDC tests - he just doesn't test seal.
My problem with people saying that N95 has a better fit is that.. well, most people don’t wear N95s properly. The N95 has to be the correct size and then the wearer has to be trained to fit it to their face.

For most people I don’t think that’s happening, which means they’re not really benefiting from the fit benefits of N95s. So they might as well use KN95s or KF94s where it’s much easier to wear.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Prior to Omnicron the latest research was that vaccines protect you from catching or spreading only for about three months. Afterwards you catch and spread at roughly the same level as the unvaccinated.

Of course they obviously keep you alive better, but if we’re talking about infectiousness, that was the research.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I was wondering where I knew the name AvE from and oh it’s the tools guy on YouTube who I subscribe to. If other tools guy Matthias Wandel turns out to be a chud too I’m gonna swear off tools youtube.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Tagra posted:

Especially since Asian communities generally revere their elders more than Western communities do and view them as a source of knowledge and wisdom to be celebrated rather than a useless drain on society that can't work anymore. If anything I would expect the sentiments to be reversed.

Or is that not true in Hong Kong? Did I do a racism?
This isn’t a useful generalization

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

A vaccine does reduce your chance of contracting COVID in the first few months. That specific effect drops sharply after a while, of course, but it’s not accurate to say vaccines don’t protect you from COVID transmission.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Charliegrs posted:

The Biden admins response to Monkeypox is going to make the Trump admins response to covid look good. Just absolutely unbelievable.
The two diseases are not remotely the same thing so maybe just take a chill pill right now.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Aren’t the pox vaccines in very short supply? Unless you’re immunocompromised or are around such people I wonder if it’s better to save it for higher-risk populations — for now, at least.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I woke up with a stiff neck earlier this week and then took the Moderna bivalent booster. My body hurts in so many ways. I can’t move.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

yook posted:

I’ve been trying to schedule a booster with my hospital and all the appointments get fully booked within a few hrs of being available, so I’m not sure I even believe that the crappy uptake is due to people not wanting them. I thought I’d get my pick of time slots for this week at one location that had a bunch, but then a day later the earliest available appointment was November 28. I wound up finding something next week by bouncing between some farther locations until I found something because I definitely wanted to get it more than 2 weeks before thanksgiving.
Where are you that you need to go to a hospital for a COVID booster? I’m not surprised they might be limiting resources for it. Arguably it’s a waste of medical resources for a hospital to deploy nurses for this when you can just go to a retail pharmacy.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Your body getting destroyed by a vaccine is a sign that you’re becoming more powerful hth

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

My partner has been testing positive for multiple days on one brand of ART — it’s a very faint line, though. She tests negative on three other brands of ARTs and one PCR test administered at a test site.

I’ve been telling her this means she’s positive since false negatives are much more likely than false positives. She’s getting a bit frustrated at that interpretation. We’ve been masking at home because I somehow remain negative on all of my tests.

How should we read this situation?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

She had a cough for a while but she’s asymptomatic now.

The positive tests started last Sunday, so it’s been five days. She did just take a PCR test yesterday and it came out negative. Which is why she’s frustrated — because it’s only that one brand of ART that’s consistently throwing up a positive, while everything else reads negative.

I agree that this should be assumed as a positive diagnosis but just wanted to understand whether there’s anything I’m missing.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

A while back I posted that my wife got one positive ARTs and then three negative ARTs and one negative PCR. It left us very confused.

Recently it happened again. One positive ART and three negative ARTs.

It's wild how these things vary. I wonder if it's just something about her because it doesn't happen to me at all.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

If your sinuses are totally irritated and fully congested a neti pot will only make your symptoms worse because the liquid just gets stuck up there. It needs some opening. That said if you do it I don’t think it’s gonna destroy your brain or anything.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I got the pfizer and the flu shot, same arm.

1. The flu shot was, like, way more painful. I don’t know if they’re using a different needle. I could also hear bubbles in the syringe as the plunger was pushed, which was weird.

2. Despite the covid shot being painless, it left my arm all bloody under the bandaid. I thought it was really weird.

3. Side effects are a very sore arm, serious lethargy and general weakness even two days after the jab. My leg drat near caved in when I was tying my shoes. And I had to take naps throughout the day.

My history is two pfizers and two modernas before this. I don’t even keep up with which is the better brand anymore.

We’re pretty glad we managed to get the shot long before an upcoming vacation. It would suuuuuuck to feel this lethargy during a vacation.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I just tested positive for the first time. This follows days of diarrhea and a growing bout of cough. Now I have a sore throat and general tiredness. I did take the latest booster months ago.

Mostly I feel guilt because even as I wore PPE on subways and public spaces, I was obviously in close contact with family and friends. It’s frustrating to think I might have exposed those closest to me.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

We’re at the stage of the pandemic where I think (a) the virus is wildly transmissible but only very occasionally serious, even for the unvaxxed and unboosted and (b) very few people are taking serious precautions anymore.

When I got covid a few weeks ago I got the mildest responses from everyone. These are the same people who freaked out during core pandemic. I know someone who cooked a christmas dinner for their family while testing positive (albeit wearing a mask, I guess).

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I recovered from COVID about three weeks ago. I have to say it’s continued to suck. I’m having the dreaded long covid cough. I can’t make it through more than a few sentences without a sputter of cough. It’s messed with my brain because I can’t talk properly to people and I can’t eat a whole lot of stuff, since they worsen the cough. I’ve taken four different cough medications with no improvement. I feel lucky that I didn’t, like, have to go to the hospital but this is still sucky.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Follow up on long covid. About a month since recovery as a fully vaxxed person. The insane coughing has gotten better, but I’ve still got no appetite. I’m at 30 to 50% of my usual intake. It reaaaaally sucks when you’re on a drat vacation. And then of course I got poisoned by the little food I ate so I’ve literally had zero calories today.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Grey Cat posted:

I got covid 2 years ago and all I want is to stop drowning in mucus when I lay down. Idk if that's a common long-term effect or not but it's never gone away since I caught it and makes sleeping difficult.

Over the counter stuff like nyquil works but you can't just take nyquil everyday.

Anyone else have that crop up after covid?
Sleep with your head above your chest. Double pillow or something. I’m suffering from month-old long covid and the mucus absolutely destroyed my sleep. Elevating my head helped.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

If you’re unvaccinated you should warn your friends because no one wants to be responsible for you dying

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Wendigee posted:

I'm not trying to start poo poo or troll.

You said your dad was the happiest he's been since your mom died because he got a doggy bag from the neighbor's he didn't go eat dinner with because they may have covid.

I got no bone in this fight I just think that's sad.

I'll leave the thread, do you.
:yarg:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Platystemon posted:

The intended function of cloth masks is “they look badass and make money for Etsy while providing cover for politicians”. They’re not good at respiratory protection for anyone.
They’re more than nothing, but mostly they were an overcorrection to a mask shortage that, in hindsight, wasn’t a real shortage.