Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

My partner got a positive test result today, despite taking all the precautions ever and being paranoid about it from the start. I'm currently negative, sort of expecting to get it just because we live in a very small apartment so there's only so much separation you can do. I had to stop following things a while back because it was getting to me too much, so sorry for doing the "drop into the middle of things and ask maybe obvious stuff", but:

-is there any evidence that birds can catch it? We have three parrots.
-is surface contamination actually a thing?

I thought the answer to both was basically "not really", but there's been a lot of developments and new variants since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Thanks both. It's a small 42m2 apartment and we already had a bunch of purifiers due to smog, so they're going, windows are open, N95 masks are on. If the birds don't need to be relocated then dealing with just each other should be alright, especially if it's "only" air to worry about. Hopefully things won't worsen, don't really want to deal with trying to get any medical right now here

Battle Pigeon fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 6, 2022

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

For years before Covid-19 was a thing a good number of people wore N95s/etc in the winter here because of the smog and overall poor air quality for months on end-now, especially the last winter, there's hardly anyone wearing them any more, and randos did and do give you hassle for wearing them. I travelled to the UK for a visit in December, and there was only one other person wearing a mask at all until I got to England

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Couldn't dad ask the neighbours/whoever else to take a covid test on the day of the dinner (or even that day and the day before etc) and then go over if they all test negative? Pick a nice day and eat outside?

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I was thinking asking them/doing it in person, while dad wears a mask and hangs out chatting as they wait for results, or something like that. Administering it properly is a crapshoot though yeah

I've also seen immunocompromised people using little portable air monitors to test air flow and co2 (I think)