Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
bought my tickets to see my mom and I’m no poo poo crying. I’m just happy I get to see my mom, and hopefully my sister and my grandpa. This is so silly and mopey but gently caress I’ve never wanted to see my family so bad. It’ll be nearly two years. I’ve never gone that long before.

I didn’t get to say goodbye to my dog before she passed and hell, I’m still a bit tore up about it. My moms close friend passed too, but of cancer, and it was so quick. I wish I could have told her thank you for being there for my mom, through some real poo poo periods, when I was far too young to understand.

I’ve taken two Pfizer doses here and hell I might see how I can get a booster, either in Sweden or the US. I will walk up to a CVS counter and demand all the drat shots they have. Make me look like Pinhead. I never want to loving deal with this again.

And so help me, so help me the first schnook who says a goddamn thing about vaccines or masks or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Proficient Scoundrel posted:

I posted a little about this in the lol thread, but I'm just really upset and need to vent about COVID.

My wife and I got married in a small backyard wedding last summer with her nuclear family (my family lives on entirely different ends of the country). We've rescheduled our public ceremony 3 times during COVID in order to wait for when it seemed possible to safely have a large gathering of those we love in order to celebrate our union.

As vaccines have become more and more readily available and mandates are becoming the status quo, she and I decided this fall was time. It's been 2 years since we put a deposit down on our venue and we're loving tired of wedding planning. Our wedding is in 10 days. Our ceremony and reception are outdoors. We just sent out an email detailing how we will be addressing the pandemic and the steps that we're taking to ensure everyone's safety.

My wife wanted every guest to be vaccinated. My family is full of pigshit hick chuds who have suddenly become anti-vax after it became a chud policy plank. So she compromised with me and we asked that our guests be vaccinated OR TAKE AND PASS A COVID TEST WITHIN 72 HOURS OF ARRIVING. So far, both of my (divorced) parents are not coming and my uncle. They all backed out as soon as we made these requirements known.

It hurts a lot that I'm worth less than a COVID test to the people of my immediate family. I feel heartbroken.

My family is living on another goddamn planet if they think they're meeting my future children without being fully vaccinated.

The fact that not only will they not get vaccinated for a loved one but won’t even get a test is rough. I’m so goddamn sorry, no one deserves to be treated that way, especially by family. hopefully they snap out of it before it’s too late.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

Mods please create a world filter that replaces "shitpost" with "restless anal syndrome" tyia

God, that is a gold star name. Well, at least a brown star.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
So I’m planning on seeing my mom in NY for Xmas and I’m double Pfizer vaxxed and I’m worried about the following:

- my proof, which is the EU certificate, is a QR code on my phone. Will there be any issues showing when needed to others, like lack of compatibility…? I’m a US/Sweden dual citizen, so I’m not worried about travel, but like, going to a restaurant. I don’t want someone calling fake on my very real proof and as a brown lady, I’m not inclined to trust that I’ll be seen in the fairest of lights (hah)

- I’m toying with the idea of getting a booster in NY, as jfc if I can I think I should. Is it something I just go into CVS or wherever and do?

- anything else to worry about? Obviously I’m going to mask where deemed appropriate and necessary, but I want to make sure I’m not overlooking anything. Plus, I have the time to actually plan so, I should.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

No one on the US side will ask for proof of vaccination.

what

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

I should preface it to say that I don't live in NYC and it's possoble that they are stricter about it. Either way with how much international travel there is I doubt you'll have a problem. It won't be the first time a restaurant in NYC has seen a European proof of vaccination.

I won’t be in NYC for most of the time, maybe a day or two, I’ll mostly be on *sigh* Long Island.

I just don’t want to deal with someone trying to pull some nonsense with me.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Helith posted:

It sounds like if teenage witch’s vax proof is a QR code that the main problem is going to be that nowhere in the US will have the scanners to read it as that’s not how they are running things.
Can you go old tech and take a physical copy of the vax cert with you?

That was plan b….

…except that it’s entirely in Swedish.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Beartaco posted:

They should at least be able to make out a date and a vaccine name though, right?

Vaccine yes, date - questionable as its not in mm/dd/yy format. Normally I’d think someone could suss it but as someone born and raised on Long Island I know drat well not to assume that much.

Helith posted:

Is there any info/guidance from the Swedish government about using your vax certificate abroad? Long shot but do they provide the cert in English?

Actually, seeing if I can get paper proof in English might be something looking into. I know there’s guidance on traveling but it’s kinda “well, this is what you have good luck outside of the EU”

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Pinecone Sample posted:

Do you expect to have proof that you live work, or attend school in New York?

I’m still legally a resident of NYS so yeah, my license is still valid miraculously (though I should maybe renew soon thanks for the reminder!!!)

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

pim01 posted:

I've got both the Dutch and Scottish apps (long story), both have QR codes as well as a text version - I fly a stupid amount and airports don't scan the QR code at all, they just ask to see the text version to check your second vaccin dose date, so the Swedish app should have that info too.

In the Dutch one it's hidden behind a teeny questionmark icon on the same page as the International QR code, could be worth having a poke about?

The Swedish one is thankfully bilingual, but I’m mainly worried about someone screaming “faaaake”. However knowing that it’s going a bit easier for you and other goons is relieving

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

greazeball posted:

Do you have a Swedish ID? That was how I presented my poo poo, "So I live in Switzerland, here's my Swiss vaxx certificate and my Swiss ID," and it felt like a lot more effort than a faker would make.

Oh have I got Swedish IDs on Swedish IDs

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Ok, so in this thread it's OK to laugh about chuds dying in droves from Covid (which is happening RN) but not about chuds dying from side-effects of taking a med that might hypothetically be hyped up as the next horse paste (which was purely hypothetical at the time). Noted. Just a bit inconsistent maybe but I can live with inconsistent.

There are a lot more people who understand and have the experiences of the side effects of SSRIs than of horse paste and they’ve been prescribed the former for legitimate reasons than the latter for “I have rocks for brains” reasons. It’s easier to laugh at crazy people taking crazy meds for crazy reasons because there is no sympathy there, nothing to relate to.

Furthermore, there is still a stigma around mental illness and taking medication for that. Whole lotta dimensions.

I have little empathy for chuds taking SSRIs and having the side effects because christ almighty go to an actual loving professional. Though silver lining, I can without a doubt say that there are chuds who probably need SSRIs and are finally taking them, even if you need to wrap it in a bacon snack.

Like I can laugh at people taking that mercury that makes you blue because it’s top to bottom bonkers but chuds taking HCQ is kind of a bummer because it caused a shortage with those who legit take it for legit reasons.

Comedy is complicated, difficult and sometimes needs a fine toothed comb to get to the joke. :thejoke:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Currently at the airport and there are way more people unmasked than I thought. Like, saw a dude eat a booger.

Good to know the government is recommending masks again.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
found out from mom that not only my engineer uncle and his wife, my aunt, have still yet to get vaxxed, but my loving doctor aunt and uncle are also not vaxxed.

The latter aunt is rumored to have “early retired” from her decades long practice because of this, and is considering moving to TN for reasons peculiar. This was accidentally slipped during thanksgiving so we’re not to know!!

happy holidays!!!!!!!!!!!!!

E: guess the flavor of Christianity they subscribe to!!!!!

teen witch fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Dec 16, 2021

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Cretin90 posted:

I’m glad my huge chud parents are fully committed to vaccines and boosting. My dad complains about it often (for some reason he likes to call them “weak rear end vaccines” and compare them unfavorably to natural immunity?) but still gets his shots because better the vaccine immunity than rolling the dice of a COVID infection at 67 years old and overweight.

One of those increasingly rare cases of self-preservation overruling tribal allegiance, I guess.

I have zero clue about chuddad and don’t want to know (we’re estranged).

I’m ever so grateful my mother, who has worked in a non nurse healthcare position for decades, is on her shots and boosters, and ensures my grandparents are as well. My mom laughed in my aunt’s face when apparently a ~radiologist~ told her about the vaccine and how she doesn’t need it. I’d do the same exact thing, mom :hfive:

Silver lining: my incredibly religious aunts and uncles can never visit me in the EU, and bear witness to my blasphemous lifestyle in the flesh. Saves me the loving hassle.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

GIRL BRAINS posted:

Are they letting people boost before six months?

I’m skeptical, but either that or I might see if I can go for a double vaxx. Or at least see if I can get my proof of vaccination in the EU onto a white card just in case some idiot cannot comprehend the EU pass.

Like whatever inroad I can get, I’ll take. I haven’t been outside Sweden since Jan 2020, so I feel like I’m actually experiencing the pandemic for the first time.

People are mandated to wear masks indoors (NYS just brought back the rule), and like, even with my layover in Finland, I’m existing in places where this is taken seriously and not just existing on the goodwill of “recommendations”. It truly is a night and day difference. These are the first instances, minus getting vaccinated, where I am required to mask up, or face a fine. It is December goddamn 2021 and that isn’t ok!

I think a lot of this is my mental exhaustion dealing with this pandemic. I loving masked up. I did my due diligence, got tested when I suspected the first sign, got vaxxed asap, and played it smart to the best of my abilities. I missed out on so much because of this pandemic. And we are still loving here because others refuse to do the most basic of precautions, for themselves or for their fellow human. That those who are to lead us will cower behind rules that hurt us more than help us because they are rules and are thus clearly inert and unable to be changed in the face of new information or situations.

None of this is an entirely Swedish issue, many places are just “eh whatever”ing this and abdicating our shared humanity out of cowardice, ignorance and the refusal to admit that you might have been wrong. It’s ok to gently caress up, cop to it and try to do better. Don’t keep doing the same drat wrong thing again to soothe your ego.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Cretin90 posted:

I donated blood today and the manager dude told me my blood is in an expedite bag to go directly to a child

I said you’re welcome but internally i was thinking I hope this blood goes to a kid whose parents are antivax and they throw a fit about it but end up agreeing, and then it gives them acid indigestion.

Actually I should maybe see if I am eligible while I’m here. My iron is garbage but sometimes I pass, plus I’m O+

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Finnair had everyone take off any non surgical mask on both my flights. Didn’t do anything about the assholes with the noses out but :effort:

Don’t worry though you can go totally maskless in Stockholm Arlanda no problem

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

Probably not but recognition isn't the point. I've publicly shamed the maskless too, although I live in a left-leaning area so it's been pretty rare to see someone without a mask on inside (and it helps that the businesses all have a "mask mandatory" sign on the front)

It is risky but it's also the right thing to do.

Right now is my first time dealing with people defying the mask mandate and my mom told me straight up that they’re probably looking for a fight. So mean mugging it is.

I think I might explode scanners style once I land back on Swedish soil.

I really don’t like how this pandemic has brought out a dark contempt for people I’ve truly never felt before. Like I’m so angry so often, and I fear that the longer this goes on, the shorter and more frayed this fuse gets. There are so many suffering and so loving exhausted, all trying to do the right thing, and then there’s these assholes.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Since I’m traveling tomorrow, I think I need to get some new masks. I’m like 95% sure on getting KN95s or N95s, but are filters for cloth masks worth my time or nah.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Anne Whateley posted:

It's not worth dicking around with gappy cloth masks unless it's literally the best you can do. If you're in the US currently, http://bonafidemasks.com is like $1 or less for Powecom KN95s.

I’m leaving in a day and change so online is no go, but I might get some KN95s from Lowes or something

Tiny Timbs posted:

I really doubt they do much, if anything. There's no seal with a cloth mask so the air will just come in from around the filter.

I figured as much. I usually have medical tape on the top so I don’t have air coming up and fogging my glasses which happens pretty much all the time and is super loving annoying. Kind of wonder why this happens to me constantly regardless of mask, hence why I’m trying one of the more recommended ones for omicron. I’m loving sick of modulating my breathing so I’m not fogging up my glasses or using tape that is really not great for my skin for long periods of time.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I tested negative a day and a half ago, and I’m starting to feel like poo poo. I’m wondering if it’s jet lag affecting it but I also feel like how I felt from my second vaxx.

Iiiiim thinking it might be time for another test.

E: took it, I can get more if I need to ffs. I’m feeling real lovely so I may ask for my partner to get another one tomorrow and get some food to stock up on just in case.

E2: Negative, but I’m absolutely going to see what I can get and try testing once a day. I usually end up sick every time I fly out of JFK, but this seems too close for comfort.

teen witch fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 30, 2021

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

The pharmacies by me are all out of home tests, you may want to check local stock before going through all of your tests

Yeah the one my partner is just about to go to is out* and poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo. He might check the other spots in town but this looks like it might be the beginning of a lack of supply.

*according to the website

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Third negative test in as many days - goddamnit I think I actually do just have a cold? And jet lag is exacerbating how tired I am? Plus I feel much better than I have the past few days and I don’t think covid just vanished that quickly.

I think I’m more shocked it isn’t popping positive than I am happy to have a cold. Still, masking days are here again because I desperately need to go to the grocery store. Time to see how bad the sitch is with people masking is here

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
God, just left the grocery store and if 10% of shoppers were wearing a mask, it’d be generous. There were around 250-300 people in the store.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Bronze Fonz posted:

Where is this?

Sweden, where nothing bad has ever happened nor will ever happen.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Sweden has/had some restrictions (like limited amount of shoppers in stores, no alcohol served after a certain time, no crowds of 500 or more, and “recommending” masks on public transit are a few I can think of off the top of my head).

But compared to nearly everyone else surrounding us, we did quite little, and it shows.

I guess my shock comes back from visiting my mom on LI, where yeah, a lotta dicknoses and people going maskless to intentionally rile poo poo - but goddamn at least people are wearing masks.

Here? People aren’t informed about masks, the government leaves it all up to personal choice. I am hesitant to believe in conspiracy and hope for the arrogance and stupidity of leaders. Like we have 85% fully vaccinated with two doses, which is really solid, but we’re still not out of the woods.

E: anyone advocating for Swedish style measures should also advocate for the safety net and (albeit, frayed) healthcare we have here. That is probably what saved the country

teen witch fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Dec 31, 2021

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

ocall posted:

I work in a public school and they did a 2 hour delay, so they could cram all the staff into the auditorium and offer us 'optional' rapid tests. My anti-vax coworker arrived after the meeting and I may of omitted the 'optional' part when I told him. 15 minutes later he tested positive.

:dudsmile:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
https://twitter.com/tiffanycli/status/1478428102485164032

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
My period has become progressively heavier, longer and much more painful since the second Pfizer shot in Sept. however, I’m using that date as when it started, not “this is directly related to the vaccine” as there’s a history of fibroids in family.

Regardless, a lot of people had their periods go wacky post second shot. I’m still getting boosted as soon as humanly possible unless if it is a genuine, significant risk factor to my health, which I’m skeptical will happen.

I don’t want to rule out the vaccine making my period weird but I’m not going to give into “periods are just always weird!” either.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Cool someone at my partner’s work went in while their two kids were confirmed positive.

This is Sweden so you aren’t losing tons of money by calling in sick, especially if you have kids, and especially if they are sick.

My partner is a pipe welder so it’s not exactly something to WFH. I’m mad that his safety and health are at risk because some jackass went into work when he has the safety net to stay home and take care of his loving kids. He has more than millions of people could ever want and he squanders it to play typhoid svensson.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

dr_rat posted:

I don't know much about wielding but can he at least, while walking around work just hold the welding torch on at full, in front of him?

I feel like they would very much encourage everyone to keep a very good social distant, if they felt inclined to do so due to covid or not.

Certainly far from an ideal or OSHA solution, but one I assume many the wielder has though much about during the long months of the pandemic.

“You don’t actually use fire with welding, and you have to close a circuit [to use it]. It’s an electrical current”

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Looks like Sweden’s chief epidemiologist is considering relaxing the state’s stance on Covid once the current Omicron peak has passed.

The rationale is that enough of the population is vaccinated, and consequences are mild enough for those vaccinated, that the epidemic will no longer be a danger to society.

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/tegnell-sa-kan-reglerna-andras

In essence, they would remove quarantine mandates and just call it another strain of the flu.

There’s a lot of political pressure from the right to do this mindset shift now. They understand by now that the vaccine passes and boosters don’t prevent spread, and the right wing hates all the other NPIs because they cause economic losses.

Nothing seems to have been decided yet so I’m sure this is just a test balloon floating by.

In a population with 60% vaccinated, I’m sure the calculus works out differently. It would be straight up murder.

God if it’s coming from Tegnell, I immediately know to not trust him. Especially if the right wants to speedrun it in.

Weird how those rules can be shifted and yet others for more preventative measures cannot.

Hopefully the wait time on boosters is shortened by a month because goddamn jab me jab me jab me

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Oh no, Sweden is still firmly in “surgical masks are the best we can do” territory. Every time I’ve brought up FFP2 masks in conversation, people have not even known what that means. And these are educated people! You’re practicing wishful thinking there.

I’m lucky in Sörmland if we have “surgical masks are the best we can do”, I’d say it’s ten percent masking at best. Glad I bought auras in the US before the rush. We screwed the pooch on something so simple so early on and here we are now.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Booked my third jab! It’s at 10:45 ok the 26th, so would it be worth taking the 27th off? it’s another Pfizer, a triple Pfizer for me.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Funky See Funky Do posted:

From memory you live in one those Nordic paradises where taking a day off work is no big deal at all. Why not take the day off? Oh no you might not feel sick and can go ice skating with Santa instead.

Lingering American guilt. I consistently have remaining days off to take off at the end of the year because I’m stingy about it out of weird imprinted guilt.

So yes y’all I’ll take the dang day off

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Pfizer for the third time, and exactly on the literal earliest date possible. Let’s see how this plays out.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Cimber posted:

Got this letter from my school district after an appeals judge put a stay on the lower courts order to halt the NY Mask mandate:

God these people really piss me off.

If you feel like self doxxing, what district? I know some loons were protesting in Riverhead.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
https://twitter.com/sghottawa/status/1487630726111576068

Not Canadian but nah, gently caress these people. These are people that do not deserve consideration. Their beliefs do not deserve consideration. gently caress these people and what they stand for. gently caress those who stand with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Omicron & Knuckles