Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have some positive news :) , ONS just released more figures:

in January alone the U.K. had 32,000 deaths due to a massive spike caused by poor management and the Kent variant. By May 1st 51% of the population had had at least one shot, and the April death toll total was 753.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

greazeball posted:

Absolutely 100% agree with that last bit. The only person who will deserve a bigger reward is the one who figures out how to get more than 60%of people to take it.

See in the U.K. our vaccination numbers are radically different to the U.S under the surface.

We have gone by age group, with additional people like the vulnerable and carers. So it’s 51% of the entire population who have had one shot but ALL of them are over 40 years old, or high risk of catching or spreading to high risk, and there is very little vaccine hesitation.

It was a huge gamble going for AZ and 11 weeks apart but it’s paid off, and it wouldn’t have worked if it wasn’t AZ because the vaccination centres that were set up at the start didn’t have any fancy equipment - it’s pubs/concert arenas/theatres/town halls, and each person gets shown to a chair, a old person who has no sympathy and will stab you if you try to escape, holding a syringe, and a fridge.

When the enquiry happens Dr Chris Whitty, our Dr Fauci, deserves a knighthood and a parade, which he won’t get, because this god drat hero has been perfectly happy to take all the flack and ire from angry boomers if it means getting it done.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Whitty was the guy who decided to vaccinate the second time after 11 weeks, it was in part a gamble but based off his knowledge and research. They think he saved 68,000 lives so far.

The guy even spends Christmas/New Year/Easter/Bank Holidays doing his regular doctor thing on the covid wards so someone else can take the holidays off.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

Second, has anyone seen any actual press about people for whom the vaccine doesn't work? I have an immunocompromised mother who got both shots and tested negative for antibodies. Obviously those antibody tests aren't great, but that's put a pretty big damper on her chances of ever feeling like she can normalize her life. I just want people to know that the vaccine is part of making a world safe enough for people like her for whom it may have had little benefit.

I work with immunocompromised kiddies (till end of July then I’m moving to adults care as my charge is Y14) and the anacdotal stuff we are hearing is that they are going to carry on as is and are well ahead of schedule to get all 17 year olds and above vaccinated before September 1st.

They are going to make the call to decide if kids will get vaccinated in August, and the pencilled in plan is to then split the vaccination centres off for boosters and do the kids in school.

You mum should be watching the new case numbers and new case numbers only, when we hit true herd immunity they won’t be hovering around the plateau they are at now but there will be a sharp drop to under 50 new cases a day (predicted airport positives). Your mother may then put mr boombastic by shaggy on as loud as possible and dance like she just don’t care.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
U.K. is doing a staggering amount of testing, don’t get me wrong we well deserved the title plague island but when the politicians sod off and let the doctors decide what’s safe and let NHS do it’s job, they are something special. No we are not catching every case but the testing we are doing is a good indicator.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/testing

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
We are testing the school kids. I would imagine if you suggested that in America a 1000 protect the children groups would murder you to death for it though.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

OMGVBFLOL posted:

this thing is never going away, it's just going to become seasonal

Yeh everyone’s going to get a booster along with the flu shot, and masks on public transport is never going away.

One thing we learned is that people in the U.K. are filthy buggers, and if we had done basic hygiene before this then most of those flu deaths were preventable as well.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
U.K. update; 50+ and vulnerable getting boosters from September

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Do you guys have the same absurd street furniture and health and safety nightmare where security guards who have absolutely no loving clue what they were doing started barricading off entrances and walkways so they are split in two and locking emergency exits?

We are at the point where it’s clearly dangerous and have been for months, but it would mean Lardarse McWaddle packing it up and moving it all on his own and he’s too bone idle, so gently caress anyone in a wheelchair right?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I had the “honour” of being one of the reported cases on the news back when every new case was newsworthy. Some dickhead took their daughter Skiing in Italy and then the family fled back to the U.K. when there was a outbreak at the resort, the kid then sat next to my daughter in class. Her school thought it was just “the sickness bug” going round the class like wildfire, till a kid with lung issues landed in hospital and got tested.

I then caught it again 6 months later in a supermarket disabled toilet, and the Oxford people came and took my blood because re-infection wasn’t a known thing at that point.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
These idiots flew in to Manchester Airport mid February and the kid and all the kids she infected travelled to Sheffield train and bus station at rush hour every day, then wandered round the town centre, went to the cinema, the football, and Meadowhall on the weekends for two weeks before it got picked up.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
But that might mean a businessman or a politician might be inconvenienced after they get off a plane and they can’t have that now.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Saros posted:

Imo the UK is going to see a massive june-july wave powered by the Indian and Kent variants amongst under 40's who won't have been vaccinated yet. Nobody will give a gently caress of course as potentially tens of thousands of people suffer long term harm from covid because of reopening too soon for the third time in a row

Vaccine passports will 100% become a thing if this happens. Whinging gammons will be essentially given a choice, learn how to install an app on your loving phone or you, personally, get to go back into lockdown.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Was the second time worse or milder for you?

Milder, the first time it dragged like I was hungover and dizzy for weeks, second time was a few days - I work with the vulnerable so any “uh oh!” moments and you get tested no arguments (even if had been a regular sickness I can’t go near them for 48 hours after last symptom)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
To cure your fear of needles why not simply wake up with an IV line in the back of your hand connected to the bag replacing all your blood! Worked for me!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It’s slightly more nuanced that that in that the vast majority, if not all, vaccinated people who died were elderly, had underlying conditions, or had caught Covid before the vaccine had chance to kick in.

It’s why it’s super important to not consider yourself vaccinated until your second shot/recommended period of time after a one shot

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The numbers we also should be looking at are the vaccination % and the r rate. The vaccine not having taken won’t matter once we get to true herd immunity.

In the U.K. people have been less moronic than in America, but we do have our own variant of Qanon rat licking morons, but this is the point where our government needs to stop listing to this tiny minority of fuckwads and bring in vaccine passports and make the rules draconian for 3 months. We 100% know who these plague carriers are because they were the ones sat on benches outside burger vans and whatnot pushing pushing pushing the rules.

They extended this loving plague, if they don’t want a passport they can stay the gently caress inside like the rest of us had to for a year.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
They are talking about making it an app on the phone here :)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Lincolnstein posted:

People really like drinking beer, eating Chinese food and going to watch other people play sports. Pity.

Where I live we haven’t had any of these things since March 2020 :(

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My friend who is immunocompromised just joined a new AZ trial program which will check to see if her anti-bodies have kicked in and they may be giving her extra shots. So we know AZ are doing dedicated research into the immunocompromised.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
U.K. had two deaths yesterday, hospital admissions and covid deaths are going down on average 24% and 38% a week respectively from 1200 deaths a day since the vaccination program started, but positive tests have been hovering around the 2000-2100 per day for a month.

Is the information you should share with the vaccine hesitant people you know.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Covid agoraphobia is also a thing.

The last year messed with everyone’s heads and many people are finding it super hard to adjust to the idea that the vaccine is working, to the point where decent people who would normally triple check sources are accidentally repeating something that first started on magachud.com, their friends pick up on that normally reliable source on Facebook and so on and that’s how a lot of the lies sneak in.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Well those posts aren’t disingenuous at all.

Vaccines are the god drat magic elixir, we just got to get enough of the special voodoo juice into enough people’s arms to make herd immunity a thing. Just like we did with smallpox.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Except for it’s clearly a self correcting problem given that the majority of anti-vaxers are high risk.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Yup.

Not everyone in this thread is American - The U.K. has been under lockdown for over a year, in my area that’s been total lockdown, we have a verifiably working vaccination program, very few deaths, and bugger all hospital admissions amongst the vaccinated. We mostly find doom posting utterly exhausting - It’s one thing having to wear a mask going in to a restaurant, it’s another to have not been in one for a year and still have a new variant sweep across the land.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Galewolf posted:

ETA 7 days until we can have a "Cheeky" Nando's (tm) indoors and pay a grand in average on top of the holiday expenses to have the privilege of being stranded in Portugal in case the gubmint suddenly decides to put them on the red list again :britain:

I honestly just want the lazy fuckers who installed them to remove all the barriers that were put in when people had to queue outside before entering. It’s been nearly 6 months (? Or 6000 years idk) since that was all abandoned and the mess is still there.

They funnel people closer together at the entrances and exits that haven’t been locked, force those with limited mobility to walk often insane round about distances (to cross shopping centre “streets” for example) and make it an absolute ballache for people in wheelchairs. Only one entrance and exit? Well would you look at that, this building is only wheelchair accessible via the door marked exit and there is a 4ft crash barrier zip tied across the ramp, yay! Fire exits? Never heard of them.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It’s not been too bad with the opening in Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire/Sheffield, they made a horrendous move in opening up the phase 2 while the kids were off school, but by week 2 it had settled down again.

I work 4pm to 8am and was like that lass off big brother going “Who is she! Who is she!” during lockdown, like “I’ve walked my dog here near my house in March at 10am for 15 years and haven’t seen one of you people in my life, piss off and stay at home you contrary arseholes.”

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

it's more like the house is ashes and we just learned that we can spray water on it so we're gonna spray water on the ashes and pat the homeowners on the back and tell them it's all great now, go on ahead and go home.

Where are you? I had an English friend going to bars and pubs and stuff and she ended up with covid last year.

They had this absolutely stupid tier system in place that allowed Londoners to frolic about licking lamp posts while northern old men, in areas that hasn’t had a death in 6 months, had to leave a carrier bag in a pub doorway and shout “please sir may I have some more”

Rich Londoners brought the Kent variant up north for Christmas.

Edit: We were doing SEND stuff in Leicester from June to February

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 10, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It should be noted that that was other southerners, probably from Kent because northerners were not paying that much to go to London without there being a sporting event on.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Breaking data, why yes I did take a picture of my television using an iPad.

The just released public health England data on AZ/Ppfizer data after one dose,

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
For me the logistics it sucked I got the jab on the Friday because they suddenly opened it up to people who work with people with learning disabilities, had no choice on the time, and had to travel for 2 hours to a Arena in a different city to get it because that was the single option for key workers.

Then feeling like total rear end with a blinding headache I had to spend Monday to Friday taking special needs 18-19 year olds to get their jabs to a centre 20 minutes from my house

Week on Friday I have to do this all again for our second jabs.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
There are Wild Theories that the NHS system is now taking into account second shot availability and the likelihood of AZ being turned down by women but not men.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Covid passports are a coming in the UK. Saying it’s for foreign travel but you can bet your arse there will be an “or” tacked on in a lot of workplaces, with the requirement being a negative covid test or you can show your passport - “mah freedoms” won’t be a thing when people are legitimately been made redundant in droves, it’s just going to make HR’s job easier.

It’s going to be the NHS app and if you don’t have a smartphone you can call 911 for a letter - probably using a QR code on both which would get scanned at passport control. The NHS loves a QR code.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
AZ made me phenomenally hungry about 20 mins after I’d had it. It wasn’t regular hunger because I’d had a huge breakfast in case it made me feel poorly after.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Nice! another one for the group mind goonchat

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Check out deez dots!

My diary updated and each 1 = myself and then 1-4 incredibly vulnerable disabled people per day getting our last shots. YEHHHHH!*

*I don’t have to spend my life living in abject terror that I’ll infect vulnerable people because I needed milk anymore

Only registered members can see post attachments!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Helios Grime posted:

So what kind of 5G dataplan should I go for? I first planned for prepaid, since I thought I won't jump onto the new technology too fast. But with the download speeds I might be more comfortable with a flatrate.

You want unlimited with the free Amazon prime Amazon prime Amazon prime

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

freebooter posted:

I want this to be the case going forward as well. No docudramas, no period pieces, no thank you - let's just all memory hole this loving year forever.

Death to 2020 on Netflix is the only one we need, although it was made before the insurrection which is a shame.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I get to sit on the supertram for an hour on the way back, which is actually really awesome because they run every 10 minutes and are so established that companies are building stuff directly next to the platforms now, supermarkets, cinemas, libraries, IKEA and so on - and tiny local stores right out the 70s which don’t exist anywhere else anymore are thriving just because they hit the location lottery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
New cases in the U.K. going up and it’s the Indian variant taking over however they know the vaccinations work against it - hospitalisations are still down 7.4% on last week, and deaths are down 22.2% even though we are at phase 3 of unlocking on Monday.