Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Both doses as of Monday and I also don't plan to go to restaurants or anything like that for quite a while.

I'll go see my parents who are also vaxxed, I'll feel way more comfortable at work and going to the grocery store and stuff I have to do, and I'll restart my D&D game in person with everyone else who's vaccinated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

wilderthanmild posted:

A lot of people have never had a real flu or have only had it once or twice and think every cold they get is the flu.

I think this is the same reason why (at least locally for me) a whole lotta really dumb people were saying "I think I had Covid back in January of 2020!" Because they either had an actual flu or a really bad cold and desperately wanted to pretend that they were totally safe and good to go.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

My boss has been extremely cool about everyone getting vaccinated, even though it's not company policy at all to be like that. I told him I'd need a half day for my appointments, he told me just to take off without using a half day and get it for both doses. The day after my 2nd dose I went home right after lunch and he told me just to forget about it, it was fine, no need to use up a half vacation day.

Now I can use that time off to instead enjoy being a full vaccinated human being that can go out in public and stuff, it's awesome.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

You know, even after covid is done, I dunno if I'll go back to in-person D&D. It's really nice to do over discord in my pajamas. You miss out on spontaneous silliness, but, pajamas.

You can do both - our first D&D in person session is in 2 weeks, I will absolutely be wearing pajamas or at least sweat pants. Best of both worlds.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

tangentially related, this is something i wonder about - now that it's been around for a little while, how many pieces of contemporary media are set in "covid-earth"? i don't really watch tv or movies, are there any that have their characters wearing masks all the time? or dealing with covid storylines? i wonder if there'll be a bunch of teen dramas and comedies and poo poo that have a super serious episode about a character dying from covid or something lol (if there haven't been already)

"Host" is a very fun horror movie about a seance on a Zoom meetup. They're doing the zoom meetup because of covid and covid shaped where they're at in life (one girl is stuck isolating with a boyfriend she only recently moved in with, one guy is with his super rich girlfriend and loves it), but it doesn't drive the plot at all.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Is anyone else weirded out by all the corporate PR tie-ins to the US pandemic? It started with free Krispy Kreme donuts but a whole lot of businesses are getting in on the act now. I haven't seen anything like this in Australia

https://twitter.com/TODAYshow/status/1392231056984707072
https://twitter.com/bangordailynews/status/1392177986384900102
https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1392167740354580484

A lot of us Americans are dumb and selfish as gently caress. Get a vaccine to help save lives of other people? Hell nah, might be aborted fetus souls in there. Get a vaccine to get a free donut? Well, maybe I can take a few aborted fetus souls into me.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

xcheopis posted:

It would be nice if they rewarded the responsible people who got their vaccines, though.

My reward is getting to hug my mom and dad. Although yeah I will definitely take a donut, too.

Also don't forget that a portion of the US still believes the vaccine is a way to chip you for tracking and, I dunno, herding into camps or something? I've seen people unironically say "If the vaccine worked they wouldn't NEED to tell you to get it, you'd just want to get it" despite them not wanting to get it.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

I should be excited about the lifting of mask mandates but

1) lol if you think this is gonna push anybody on the fence about getting vaccinated to get vaccinated
2) lol if you think CHUDs are gonna wear masks at all

So basically we're in a spot where the people who have been taking precautions and have gotten vaccinated are going to be able to do things again. And the CHUDs (who never stopped anyway) are going to keep doing what they're doing despite being 99.7% of the current covid hospitalizations.

I hate to be cynical and say "gently caress 'em, it's their own fault at this point" but that's really how I'm starting to feel right now. Just personally, my wife and I have done everything possible to try and get her parents vaccinated, short of administering the vaccine ourselves. They still refuse. What more can I do at this point?

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Current hot take I just heard at work:

"I'm never taking the vaccine now and I'm burning my masks. This is all about control."

RIP that guy.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Exposing myself to a deadly virus which my immune system is not prepared for and that has killed over half a million Americans and continues to RAVAGE India, which should show me exactly what to expect for myself if I continue to expose myself to the virus - TO OWN THE LIBS.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

An honest to God conversation I overheard at the grocery store this weekend.

"I know 6 people who died of the vaccine already. And they're not even reporting that."

"I heard you only have a 1% chance of dying of covid, that's why I'm not vaccinating or vaccinating my kids."

"Exactly. You have a 4000% chance of getting symptoms from the vaccine instead of just getting covid."

I got a bad feeling that these two might not keep up with mask mandates, just a hunch.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Over 62% of the US population are completely unvaxxed as of right now
https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccinations

30% of Americans currently say they don't plan on getting the vaxx
https://www.pewresearch.org/science/2021/03/05/growing-share-of-americans-say-they-plan-to-get-a-covid-19-vaccine-or-already-have/

Vaccines could have ended the pandemic in the US but that's just not going to happen in this reality. What's your next suggestion?

I hate to say it but I've pretty much accepted that some portion of my wife's family will die of covid in the next year because they refuse to get vaccinated or take even the most basic precautions when not forced to.

Not a good feeling at all but better than spending the last 12 months convinced my parents were going to die because they took every precaution imaginable but somebody at the grocery store would cough on my Dad.

I'm definitely not out there yelling "COVID IS OVER, LET ME SEE YOUR BEAUTIFUL SMILES AGAIN!" but I have reached a point of acceptance that we'll never be able to protect everybody in the United States, because not everybody can take even the SLIGHTEST bit of personal responsibility.

What does suck is people who can't get vaccinated for health reasons and is still at risk, and I hope we reach enough of a vaccination rate for those people.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

The last thread got shut down because of people sniping at each other and getting stupid as poo poo. Gonna suggest we stop that right now.

Either share some information that's interesting, or a personal story, or reasonable debate that doesn't turn into name-calling or whatever.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Lolie posted:

I'm shocked that America's rollout has gone so well and appalled and embarrassed that our own has gone so badly.

Had our election gone different, or if there had been a full insurrection on January 6th, I have to imagine our vaccine rollout would have been a lot worse. The original plan was just "let's ship it to the states and wipe our hands of it, who cares". I work in logistics and those December/early January shipments were wild. We never got accurate counts of how many vaccines were going where, and generally the communication was just "Hey we heard X hospital is getting some vaccines this week. Keep your eyes open!"

If we had gotten the full Republican grift train involved I'd probably be buying vaccination appointments from scalpers on stubhub or something.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

To me the funniest covid thing was WWE's response to it.

Some grifter sold them a "covid spray" that acted like, and I quote "a sword that punctures the cell wall of the virus, or what causes a virus, and kills it on contact. The spray creates a coating that lasts 90-120 days, and lasts through the work they’re doing and through any other cleaning they do."

WWE proceeded to have more than 30 cases of covid over the course of like 2 weeks.

It's funny because it's incredibly stupid but at least nobody died directly from that.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Hollismason posted:

Trump getting corona was kind of amusing

The funniest part was the massive change in the conservative mindset from "Covid is no big deal, why are we doing anything?" to "Please pray for President Trump, Lord Jesus protect him in your golden arms." Along with all of the "I would never mock someone who was sick, how dare you mock Trump for catching a deadly disease!"

Woulda been funnier had covid, y'know, finished the job. But I'm pretty sure he got that long term brain fog from oxygen deprivation at least.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

My wife and I went to the zoo this weekend. They don't require masks if you're vaccinated, and I think it was about 80% unmasked, 20% masked in there. There's an indoor aquarium and some indoor exhibits, and it was more like 50/50 in there. We went unmasked outside, masked up inside.

It was definitely an adjustment but it was extremely nice to be outside doing something again. I had a few moments where I kept thinking to myself "oh poo poo, too many people" and we both kinda hung back when there was a mob of people lining up at an exhibit.

But it was a good step towards going somewhere with a crowd again.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Wait, a white supremacist cop? No loving way, and he's a covid denier? Next you're gonna tell me he's a Trump supporter.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

My in-laws are still not vaccinated, and every time we ask them to get vaccinated they just say "Well, maybe..." and then change the subject.

This past weekend my MiL opened her pool and invited us and some of my wife's friends to come over. She was SHOCKED that nobody wanted to come after finding out she was unvaccinated, especially my wife's friend with two kids under 5.

I'm hoping MAYBE this shows her actual consequences to this, even if it's just "you won't see us for the foreseeable future".

We did get to spend an awesome day with my parents yesterday, feels amazing to see them again safely.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Yeah I'm extremely comfortable being around vaccinated people and crowds that are (realistically) a mix of vaxxed and non-vaxxed, but I sure as hell wouldn't feel comfortable if I knew 98% of the people around me were unvaccinated.

What state are you in?

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Space Camp fuckup posted:

I think he’s talking about positive test %. There’s not a single US state with vaccinated numbers that low.

Okay that makes way more sense. Yeah you're fine going to Costco assuming you're vaxxed, this is not anywhere close to being a death sentence or anything.

OgNar posted:

Personally I may stick with the masks and hope most people do.
Pretty sure the flu infection rates dropped dramatically.

Flu was basically non-existent this year and I'm also hoping that a lot of people do the same (they won't). If nothing else it'd be great if people just stayed the gently caress home when they were sneezing and coughing all over the place.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Fluffy Bunnies is 100% justified in being cautious, especially given health issues.

But if you and your family are vaxxed you're also justified in doing more things and feeling safe in doing those things.

I think it's pretty lovely to shame someone for being cautious, even if you personally think they're being too cautious. I don't give a gently caress if someone wants to wear a drat hazmat suit around after last year, it doesn't bother me at all.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Fallom posted:

I wonder what actual percentage of the US workforce got to be WFH chosen ones while the rest of us still had to go out

My office let us do it for March and April, then instantly were like "wellll, you actually should be going into the office." Upper management is still able to work from home, but us peons have been going back at least 4 days a week since July of 2020. Which is insane in hindsight.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

So a bunch of people are getting magnetic powers, FREE birth control, and connecting to 5G from their vaccines? And all I got was the ability to participate in society again and see my family? I got ripped off.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

explosivo posted:

Mask mandates here in PA are quickly breaking down, stores with "must wear masks" signs posted aren't really enforcing it anymore and I'm now seeing a mix of people - employees and customers - just dropping the masks altogether. Definitely feels like a switch was flipped and now anyone who was maybe on the fence before is just done with masks.

I can back this up. I went grocery shopping on Friday and I'd say it was 60% masked, 40% unmasked. Most of the employees were, but definitely saw a few who weren't. This wouldn't bother me as much except you know 100% that at least a healthy portion of unmasked people are also unvaccinated.

There were also 2 pretty big events in the Pittsburgh area - Steel City Con and the Three Rivers Arts Festival - that I'm curious to see what comes of it. Steel City Con looked like it was packed with people inside a convention center, and from photos it looks like maybe 1% of people were masked up. Cons are already gross as hell in the best of cases, I feel like you're gonna hear about at least a few people catching it there. The Arts Festival was all outdoors and pretty spread out, although you obviously had people crowding around vendors and what not.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

A Strange Aeon posted:

I'm curious about the big events as well. We were going to go to Arts Fest on Friday but our daughter had to stay home because of a cold. Our thought was that since it's outdoors, the risk to her wouldn't be super high. Playgrounds are basically 100% maskless already, even if there's still signs up saying you should be wearing them.

Anyone taking their life into their hands to go to Steel City Con probably has made other bad decisions in their life.

My wife and I went to the Arts Fest on Saturday. Definitely had a few "oh poo poo, better avoid that crowd" moments but I never felt unsafe walking around downtown or at the point or anything. It was busy, but it wasn't wall-to-wall people in most places.

We usually go to Steel City Con but this felt like a HUGE mistake. They said they were going to let vaccinated people go unmasked, but then admitted that they weren't actually going to check for proof of that. Plus you for sure had people travelling in from other states. Just seems crazy risky for a show that's going to happen again in August anyway. Just wait 2 months, see where things are, rather than jump the gun like this.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I may be about to eat my words but I’m fairly optimistic. I’ve been following our cases/vaccinations since the clinics started rolling out and cases have been plummeting anywhere between 30-50% every week. We’re now regularly having days where no one dies from it and hospitalizations are also very low. I guess we’ll see what happens.

Maybe this makes me an rear end in a top hat but if this causes a bunch of idiots who refused to get vaccinated killed then so be it. gently caress them

I think it's fine to be optimistic right now. Covid cases in PA (and especially around me) are dropping every single day. That's even with things like the mask mandate going away and people doing a whole lot more stuff in public that would have caused an explosion in cases before the vaccine.

That said - like 60% of my wife's family is unvaccinated and refuse to get the vaccine. We've tried many, many, many times to get them to get vaccinated. At this point, there's nothing more either of us can do. If they get sick, it's not going to be a shock.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

My company just announced that masks are now optional in the office for all vaccinated employees, and it's a code of conduct warning if you're caught without a mask and unvaccinated.

This is all on the honor system lol. You can report someone you think is unvaccinated and not wearing a mask, but good luck with that actually doing anything.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

I feel that if they're going to base the PPE system on Bushido you should at least get to challenge the liars to a duel and stab them with your hanzo steel

There's a small group of anti-vaxxers in my office. They're vocal, management absolutely knows that they will not be getting the vaccine. This will be an interesting week for sure.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

It's terrifying to think that a random set of circumstances could create a similar pandemic, I think that's why so many people want the lab leak to be true. Then you can say "Ohhh it's China's fault, that won't happen again, let's hold them accountable for it!"

Same reason you get so many conspiracies around JFK's assassination and whatnot. One random guy with a gun can kill the President. That's terrifying. But if it's a huge interconnected conspiracy theory involving the mob and the Vice President and stuff? Well, that's so complex, there's a reason behind it!

Plus it absolves leader's of their piss-poor leadership during the pandemic. 600,000 Americans are dead and I think you could conservatively say at least half of them are dead directly from Trump's press conferences and politicizing of masks, plus how many more from decisions made at state and local levels? But you suddenly turn this into a bio-weapon? Well, you're not the bad guy any more. China is!

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

The natural immunity thing seems like such a bizarre trend lately, too.

So you want to catch a virus that will gently caress you up, either temporarily or permanently, and that's preferable to you than a vaccine that might give you some nasty side effects for a few days?

I'm seeing it a lot lately, usually coupled with "GOD GAVE US A BEAUTIFUL GIFT CALLED AN IMMUNE SYSTEM!"

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

My wife and I are both about a 6 weeks out from our 2nd dose of Moderna. In that time we've:

Gone to the movies
Gone to the zoo
Seen my parents multiple times
Started realistically planning a vacation for 2022
Visited a friend for the first time who had a baby that's now almost 2 years old

I'll gladly stick with my Moderna, I would have taken Pfizer at the time, I am just so happy to have that protection.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Butt Savage posted:

This thread has been indispensable, despite the conflicts that crop up. But now I need some direct advice from you guys. I have a close friend who wants to meet up and hang out at his place. He and his wife are fully vaccinated (as am I, closing in on week 4 after dose 2) but they have two kids, and that’s what’s giving me pause. They’ve been visiting their grandparents, but even so I can’t help but fear getting infected by their kids, even though I’m fully vaccinated.

I guess I’m posting to gauge what you guys think. I’d like to see them but after a year of being so careful, it’s a big step for me to take.

Nothing is completely free from risk, but this is insanely low on the risk scale for you.

I'd definitely make sure the kids aren't coughing or sneezing or anything, but you should do that anyway when you visit somebody with kids.

I'd also ask the parents (or the kids if they're old enough) if they want you to war a mask around them. The vaccine (so far at least) seems to also prevent the bulk of asymptomatic spread, so don't feel like you're dooming these kids just by going over there.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

I don't think free anything is going to convince many of the holdouts.

People are dumb and selfish. There's still a major part of the US population that thinks the vaccine either magnetizes you, sterilizes you, or sends you to Hell. Unless they are personally affected by covid, that won't change. Even then, it still might not.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

"The only science I believe in is the science that created these amazing new 3-D Doritos with extra flavor blasts." - roughly 30% of the US.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Has anyone recently had any luck convincing vaccine-hesitant people to get the jab?

75% of my wife's family refuses to get it and we're both getting really nervous about what that means for them as PA is now pretty much completely opened up. My BiL is a huge Trump supporter that's currently torpedoing his entire life so I figure he's a lost cause, but I'd like to be a little more comfortable knowing my in-laws might make it through this fall without (at least) a week's stay in the hospital or permanent damage to their lungs and heart.

Should I just consider it useless at this point or does anyone have advice that's worked for them?

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

KakerMix posted:

What are they afraid of, specifically? Anyone that chooses not to get the covid vaccine is scared, sure, but I want to know specifically of what. You can't separate it from the fear, which is always ignorance an most certainly at least skirts conspiracies.

I know my wife's family ranges from literal "It's the mark of the beast" (her dad) to "Well it's just not tested enough and I don't trust it" (her mom).

It may shock you to discover that they are also hardcore conservatives and evangelicals.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

You'll never see another full-fledged "lockdown" like we got in March and April of 2020.

Right-wingers will never again go along with that, they've proven that even the smallest sacrifice for the greater good is impossible. Even a mask mandate will never be followed by 30% of the United States.

I live in Western PA, right outside of Pittsburgh. I saw lots of people actually staying isolated, wearing masks, and being smart. I also saw lots of people that did not change their lives at all.

My in-laws are not vaccinated, wore masks for about 3 months in 2020. Didn't change anything else about their lives. Their neighbors almost died of covid in November after voting in person, then argued that their church needed to open up 100% without masks for Christmas. Why? Probably because they already survived covid so they think they're immune and don't give a gently caress.

You could have CHUDs dropping dead in the streets and bursting into flame and people would just say it's because of vaccine shedding or co-morbidities or something.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

learnincurve posted:

Outstanding.

I’m a filthy leftist and have to find myself nodding along and thinking Yeh, maybe the wilfully unvaccinated should be discriminated against. A two tier society? Ok sure fine by me.

My wife's great aunt is 95 years old and in a nursing home. My wife went to go see her this past weekend. Because they're both vaccinated they could sit next to each other and hug.

My wife's Dad is not vaccinated and refuses to wear a mask. He showed up at the nursing home and was told to leave unless he has a mask as he's a danger to the patients there.

He called my wife to complain about it, and she said "You made the choice not to get vaccinated, that also means you have to abide by their rules" and he was pissed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Looking forward to another Thanksgiving in which I tell my in-laws "Sorry guys, we're not coming over." and have to hear about how covid is not a big deal.

At least this year I can go have dinner with my vaccinated parents.