Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i'd rather listen to the science than make mask wearing into a political statement but you do you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

This whole thread has turned pretty anti-masking pro "who gives a gently caress about breakthroughs" vibes and it's pretty sad.

No, this thread is about 'now that I'm finally vaccinated I don't need to wear a mask anymore, a position which is supported by science that proves that getting the vaccine is more effective at preventing the spread of COVID than wearing a mask is.'

If you really do have some medical issue that renders the vaccine less effective for you that's unfortunate, but you can take this attitude:

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I'd rather bank a few more months of being cautious and watching other idiots get covid through their vaccines than be one of those idiots getting it.

and cram it back up where it belongs. Congrats, you have an excuse to be paranoid and wearing a mask for the rest of your life. I hope you enjoy it.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Had a sore arm after my first Pfizer and then three days later in the afternoon had incredible fatigue and just moving took an act of intense willpower, was fine the next day. No sore arm after the second shot but I woke up at 1am two days after feeling like I had been hit by a truck, the whole next day the entire volume of my body hurt from my skin down into my bones. Tylenol helped but it sucked. Day after that I was fine again and feeling better than normal.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
ligma balls

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
So weird how the thing epidemiologists have been specifically warning us about for decades happened despite us doing nothing to prevent it, it must be a conspiracy.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
What I really want to know if getting a mild case of Delta covid after being vaccinated still can result in long-term issues or not. I suppose we can't know this for a little while longer, but if it is the case that vaccination does prevent long covid symptoms even if a mild illness still develops that would be a lot easier to deal with than a return of that fear that I could get really messed up from this.

Like it if could be brought down to actual 'just the flu, bro' levels through effective if imperfect vaccines I think we could probably deal with that a lot better than 'let's do 2020 all over again'.

Of course this is all predicated on people both begin able to get vaccinated and choosing to get vaccinated.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Saw that a German company CureVac's vaccine's final results were only 48% effective. The best they could massage the numbers was 77% protection against moderate or severe COVID for under-60s.

While that kind of sucks, it made me realize how lucky we are to have multiple other vaccines that are highly effective. It would have been very possible that we would have only less effective vaccines, or only one or two that were highly effective. Even the SinoVac is better than this one. If the best we had come up with was 48% effective against the original strain, imagine the situation today and how it might develop going forward...

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Sjs00 posted:

its entirely useless to think about the other, worse realities than what we got.
Sure things could always be worse man :shrug:

No, it's entirely appropriate to take stock and appreciate how some things are actually going well and worked out in our favor.

If you think it's useless to reflect on how not everything is the absolute worst, then you need to change your context and try to change something about your life. Reflexive internet cynicism is boring, tired and poisonous.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

looks like we've finally turned the corner

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

vandalism posted:

The point that I am making is that the vaccine is not a one-size fits all solution. Other possibly helpful solutions such as ivermectin are being buried because it is cheap, generic, and can't make the big pharma companies a shitload of money.

no, gently caress you. get the loving vaccine you utter moron, and stop taking horse wormer pills

you know what else kills covid? bleach. sulfuric acid. dynamite. sunlight. the list goes on and on. but obviously those don't make BIG PHARMA the $$$ so instead of taking a vaccine that's been widely tested on millions of people and proven safe and effective (and loving free to you) might as well shoot up fish antibiotics and pipe UV light up your nose

Mozi fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 28, 2021

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
you were really big on the hydroxychloroquine, weren't you?

and yes, the science IS settled. the vaccines are safe and effective so get over your utter stupidity and protect others even if you don't care about protecting yourself

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
the point is more, if deer get it too what else does, and it provides a place for the virus to continue to exist and evolve (nobodys gonna vaccinate all the deer) in perpetuity which increases the chances of spillover back to humans

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
i only accept information in the form of screenshots of tweets of headlines

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
i've been doing some experiments in my sink home lab and i've discovered that a simple combination of mouse poison, bleach and paint is quite effective at killing covid cells. or at least that's what it looks like when i squint. anyways, i'm going to try injecting these into my brain and will update with results. anything to free myself from the tyranny of... vaccines... which my medical sources are telling me actually caused polio in the first place!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
i feel like a groundhog who emerged from the ground after a long winter, poked his head up, took a look around and noped right out again

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

just another posted:

I got the vaxx for two reasons:
1. I saw which way the wind was blowing with vaccine passports and my current employment is precarious
2. My friends were all vaxxed and I felt like I wasn't being a good tribesman

But I very deeply resent that I felt coerced to get it for those reasons and not because I was afraid of Covid, or that I believe The Science, or that I think requiring proof of vaccination is an acceptable ask by government or private industry.

I'll end it there because I don't want to be a crank, but you're not alone in being hesitant on these dead dumb forums.

thanks for doing the right thing but you are a deeply stupid person, and i really mean that

is this how you feel about wearing pants as well?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
also i'd just like to point out that if the government did require you to get vaccinated they would be entirely within their rights to do so and i really would enjoy seeing you dumb fucks lined up to get the jab at gunpoint

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
i hope the sector isn't my... you know... area

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
vax my neg hole

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
god sez, you lose

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
undeniable fact: none of the thirteen triple crown winners died of, or with, COVID-19

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
i'm confused, why is everyone taking ivermectin when hydroxychloroquine works so well :confused:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
i'm going to need snopes to verify this one i think

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
first the latter, then the former

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Testvan posted:

I guess all homeschooled kids are social pariahs with hosed up brains for their entire lives, never being able to adjust to living with civilized humans. Sad really.

nah it only took me about 10 years

edit: that said it was my choice to be homeschooled in middle school because i already didn't like being around other people so

Mozi fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 27, 2021

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
jilly juice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QovRuqmROac

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
cancel culture strikes again

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
fact: no dead people suffer from long covid

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
nature doesn't give a darn

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
look i'm just not sure about the vaccines yet, i'm doing more research before i make up my mind *slathers self in horse dewormer and coconut oil*

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
miracle new covid treatment! intense microwave radiation proven extremely effective at killing covid in the lab. home applications should be obvious

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
these are your balls:

these are your balls on covid:

any questions?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Vid-B-Gon

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
'hey, could you pass the salt?'

'no.'

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
IMO that all started with the WHO saying 'there is no evidence that masks prevent spread', which is true because there hadn't been time to gather that evidence yet. meanwhile we knew it was a respiratory virus and it was highly likely that mask-wearing would have an effect, but all the WHO was pushing was hand washing (IMO because that's something they wanted everyone to do anyways because it's generally good)

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
regardless of increase in demand or whatever all it takes to have shortages is for everyone to decide to buy toilet paper at the same time, even if they don't end up buying more in the long term

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
spam is too expensive for what it is. IMO.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
if winning hearts and minds fails then binning hearts and minds is the fallback

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past