Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

Spinz posted:

I'm really careful and anal about having my 95s fit including nose pinch bridge area and my glasses still fog up.

Can they fog just from your breath going through the mask? That's what I've been assuming and hoping...

I've seen people's glasses fog up while I was in the middle of administering a passing fit test. Over the course of an 8 hour shift, you exhale somewhere in the ballpark of a pint of water in vapor form. If it couldn't escape through the mask material your mask would be full by the end of the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
Did he sanitize his plate and leave it outside for a week before eating it through a tiny hole in an SCBA? He has a moral duty to do so.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

Cactus Ghost posted:

likewise, you have a moral duty to slam your genitalia in a car door

Ironic, since I lost part of them to testicular cancer, which has a far higher mortality rate than covid. I was just trying to give some helpful advice to people who have seemingly teleported here from spring of 2000. You would seriously tell your 80-something father to live out his few remaining days in absolute seclusion because diseases exist?

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

Cactus Ghost posted:

quote where i said that

Not you personally, although you seemed to endorse it with the "moral obligation" thing. Dick Trauma said his/her dad hasn't eaten dinner with friends in years, then apparently browbeat his/her father into staying home to die alone in front of the TV because the outside world is scary.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

Cactus Ghost posted:

giving other old people a heads-up so they can make an informed decision isn't locking grandpa in the cellar, regardless of what you're determined to read into it

He/she (I'll just say they now to hopefully avoid offending anybody) said their dad hadn't so much as had dinner with friends in years, and when said dad accepted an invitation, they "convinced" him that was a mortal sin ahd he should continue in his solitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

My mom was scared of pretty much everything, and my father has had many allergic reactions to medications so she was unwilling to let either of them get vaccinated for anything. I did my best to change her mind, especially once COVID arrived but her fear was too great. At the least they both wore masks when they left the house (which was rare) and when I visit him I wear a mask. I don't know if he'll ever be willing to get vaccinated but at least he understands the importance of being masked when he's around people.

My mom was scared of a lot too, including much-needed non-covid-related medical care, which is why I also lost her a couple years ago. My dad is close to your dad's age, but slightly younger. We're 4 years into this, if it's not over now it will never be "over", at least not within your dad's or my dad's lifetime. I can't imagine convincing my father, who only has a few years left if he's lucky, to live a life of such seclusion and solitude that somebody dropping a plate of food off at his house could be described as:

Dick Trauma posted:

My dad said that this was the first good day he's had since my mom died. :unsmith:

I remember the depression and loneliness I went through in 2020 and beyond. Any issues I already had just accelerated through a miserable downhill spiral that I'm still not over. That was a very real human cost for a huge number of people, that most on the left completely ignored or even mocked, and continue to do so. And I at least had internet friends as somewhat of a social outlet to keep me borderline sane. I can't imagine what 4 years of almost constant solitude is like for an octogenarian who most likely doesn't use any form of social media or even texting. Staring at a wall or the TV all day every day, hoping for a phone call or some other way to break the monotony, finally getting an invitation to dinner with friends, and being guilted into declining it.