Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

DemoneeHo posted:

I'm debating whether i should get an antibody test or not. It's been 2 weeks since my second moderna dose. Between having no side effects from the shot and that recent survey of patients on certain immunosuppressants (i take one of those) not having detectable antibodies, i'm worried that i didn't respond to the vaccine.

The CDC says they do not recommend the antibody test for patients with weakened immune systems, as it may not give a reliable assessment. And i don't wanna get charged for a test that might give me a false negative.

On the other hand, that survey only checked patients who received their first dose and not their second. So i really should wait for the follow up to that study before worrying about it. Plus i'm not an organ recipient like the people surveyed in that study; i am treating a chronic illness. Not sure if that will affect things.

I don't regret getting the vaccine at all. I just want reassurance that i have even a little bit of protection with the vaccine as an immunocompromised person.

I'm in the same boat as you and feeling similarly about just how vaccinated I might really be. I got my shots just before I saw a paper where some rheumatologists were suggesting postponing your regular drug regimen if possible and safe to do so for the week after getting vaccinated and now there's that tiny kernel in my brain wondering if I've goofed it up for myself :ohdear: .

I know antibodies aren't the be-all end-all to the immune system and that we just don't have the data to make a concrete claim or recommendation, but it still makes me feel a little antsy, y'know :v: .

Thank god vaccine uptake is good in my area, but I can't imagine I'm ever going to want to eat in a restaurant again, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

The Fattest PI posted:

Okay thank you. I guess I'll follow up on it if it never goes away.

On sort of a side note, I was describing the taste to my girlfriend, and as a point of reference I mentioned that it was similar to when you whack your head real hard and get a weird taste in your mouth, or if something happens and you get a huge adrenaline dump into your system and you get the weird adrenaline taste in your mouth.
She had zero idea what I was talking about in either case.

Does anyone else get that orrr

Yeah no I get that too, like if someone suddenly pulls out in front of me while driving or something. It's like a mouthful of pennies.

It's weird though, it didn't used to happen to me until randomly -- as in, the incident wasn't any worse or more dangerous than any others I've had -- a few years ago.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

For Amerigoons: The CDC's V-safe check-in thing has added support for entering in your third vaccine information if you've gotten a booster so you can answer more health questions.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Platystemon posted:

If you feel pain, burning, numbness, tingling, or sensitivity to touch on one side of your body, initially with no rash, run to a doctor and get antivirals for your shingles. They help a lot, and they work best if you get them early. Don’t wait for the rash.

Or be like me and be mid-30s with an atypical presentation (it started on the palm of my hand) and get misdiagnosed despite telling the doctor straight up "I've had contact dermatitis and this ain't it chief" :negative: .

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I found the 3m Aura masks more comfortable to wear than my KN95s when I know I can't take it off for hours.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Anecdotally since it's going around at my work, one coworker was exposed via family members, got a PCR, started feeling poorly the day after, came back positive.

Different coworker who was symptomatic tested negative (I'm not sure what kind of tests they had done, but they went to an urgent care so I'm just assuming PCR), was ill over the weekend, then popped hot on a rapid test last night. But their partner is a bartender so they're not sure if they were exposed at our work or through them.

A third coworker's positive, too, but I don't know where they picked it up. They have kids in school.

Nobody at my work has tested positive throughout this whole thing up until now, and my work never took away our mask mandates. As far as I know, all my coworkers mentioned are vaccinated.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Charliegrs posted:

Speaking of getting sent back to the office. Does anyone have any experience with working a mainly phone based job (like a call center) and masking up? I work a job like that and if they sent us back I would just wear a N95 all day and if the people on the phone can't hear me then oh well tough poo poo. They can hear me just fine when I'm at home and I don't need to wear a mask.

Haven't had any problems with it in my experience.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I broke out with shingles in my early 30s after an extremely stressful period of my life and it was misery. I had blisters under my fingernails and one of my nails still has a weird groove in it, lol. I was extremely sensitive to temperature and touch while the nerves in my hand healed but I thankfully didn't have any long-lasting issues.

It didn't help that the doctor misdiagnosed me despite my insistence because I had an atypical presentation that started on my hand first and never went higher than my shoulder. Delayed my getting on antivirals to where they probably weren't effective.

Anyway, if they fit your head the 3m Auras are super comfortable, I've worn them for hours at a time, and I've even fallen asleep in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Zwabu posted:

Because the infection involves nerves, they are very symptomatic, often involving pain, a burning sensation, intense itching etc.

Yep. My own experience was aside from the rash, the main symptom I had was a pins and needles sensation as if my arm was on the verge of falling asleep. That kind of prickling, tingling feeling that's hard to picture but really obvious when it's happening. Made it really distinct from contact dermatitis or something else that looks similar because my nerves were literally starting to go all screwy.