Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So I just got my second jab, but I lost my bandage after taking off my shirt to check if the injection area was red or swelling. I am not bleeding or anything (It was about a half hour after I got the shot), and this is dumb, but I want to make sure I didn't screw myself and now I got Turbo COVID or something.

Anyway, feeling okay so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
ItChY tAsTEe

Seriously though, thanks all :)

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah you are. Specifically this part:

No one loving said that you idiot, you've badly misinterpreted the entire conversation and you're screaming at a strawman you invented

Also that Eric Topol guy you posted is full of poo poo, he hasn't seen the actual test results from the infected players so he's just making guesses

I get that you and others are posting actual situations and info about a pandemic where our general ignorance, wether by us or our so-called leaders, has made the situation worse (and is still making thing worse, for that matter). And I get that with the vaccine, infections are still going to happen, even if it is a net positive. But it does feel like this thread can be ruthlessly pessimistic at times.

Don't get me wrong, ya'll do good work in the thread. I guess I am trying to decode how I feel about all this. I feel like I desperately want to believe that, on some level, no matter how small and slowly, things are getting better. Of course, there are A LOT of things where I wanted to believe that in the world in general, and eventually I came to the painful conclusion that "They aren't" for quite a few of them, so maybe COVID is a long line of that.

EDIT: Anyway, first day after the second dose. Was sleepy but was fine after a nap. Arm feels even more sore than the first dose.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 07:36 on May 15, 2021

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Sjs00 posted:

sounds like a perfect storm of idiocy

That describes the U.S. for the past 5 years.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
It’s been two weeks since I got my second jab, and now I am at full vax power.

Going to try to get an actual haircut this weekend. Still not sure about eating inside (or outside for that matter) a restaurant still.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Pennywise the Frown posted:

:lol:

:getin:

That's the super lovely pepper foam too that sticks to you like napalm. If you try to get it off you just spread it all over your face lol.

Uh, ignoring exactly who this is being used on, this sounds like a war crime.

Of course, I am also a white man in America, so if it turns out if that or something like that or worse is actively being used here, I would not be surprised.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Ugly In The Morning posted:

If it was a war it would be, but though pepper agents are banned from war they’re completely above board for things outside of that. Like pepper spraying someone who is mugging you would be a war crime if you were a uniformed service member in a war zone “War crimes” are specific things and most people don’t really understand them- there’s tons of stuff that’s illegal in war mostly because of WWI. It’s actually a really interesting legal area.

This is kinda horrifying! Thanks!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Platystemon posted:

People choosing Pfizer over Moderna is a consequence of the authorities pretending that all vaccines are the same.

Not everyone is credulous enough to believe that there’s no difference. They know that Pfizer’s vaccine posted excellent numbers in trials and ever since and that that’s the one that the fat cats in Washington got. They’re not knowledgeable enough to know that Moderna’s vaccine is so similar in structure and performance that it makes a fine substitute, but they’re more knowledgeable than most.

I thought that Moderna did slightly better in trials, but not so much better that Pfizer and Moderna aren't functionally the same.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
My work requires me to go in 2 days out of the week. Today I just learned that someone in the building group had COVID, though they were not in my building specifically. I am trying to find out when we was in the area (I was in all day yesterday), and it is likely a long shot, but I was wondering if I should get myself tested asap or just try to stay quarantined and pay attention for symptoms.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Project Warp Speed was rushed?????

Forgive me if this has been went over already, but wasn't Project Warp Speed authorized by Trump when he was president? I would have thought that the MAGA crowd would be shouting it from the rooftops.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Decon posted:

They were, but it was a race between "Trump's vaccine" and "HCQ is the real cure!" The latter won. Because they're more compulsively contrarian than a maladjusted 12 year old.

So basically, the politics of "gently caress you" win out?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I know it is the most milquetoast liberal thing to 'not sink to their level' and to be 'the bigger person', but it is so hard to see every smug anti-mask and/or anti-vaccine rear end in a top hat on twitter go "LOL you are all afraid of COVID Imma gonna live!" like that Matt Walsh tweet a few pages back (I really wish twitter blocks worked on linked tweets here) and not go "Okay, kindly die soon, and try not to take anyone with you".

We are living in the Oingo Boingo song "Nothing bad ever happens to me"

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 25, 2021

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

asdf32 posted:

We signed our kids up for multiple vaccine trials that didn’t work out. That doesn’t change the fact that current recommendations based on studies of relative risk say that kids should be in school.

I know I shouldn't engage but...

What studies? Name one.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

asdf32 posted:

How can it be safe for children to go back to classrooms during a pandemic?
Surprisingly, schools have not been a major cause of Covid spreading events, particularly when a number of prevention measures are in place. A combination of precautions — masking indoors, keeping students at least three feet apart in classrooms, keeping students in separate cohorts or “pods,” encouraging hand washing and regular testing, and quarantining — have been effective.

A study of schools conducting full in-person instruction in Missouri, where mask use was required and 73 percent of schools enforced distances of three to six feet between students, found that secondary transmission was rare. Studies in Utah and North Carolina showed that even during times of surging case counts in the community, school transmission remained low when schools took multiple Covid precautions. In a study of the Archdiocese of Chicago Catholic Schools, one of the largest private school systems in the United States, the attack rate for students and staff was lower than the rate for the community overall.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2021/07/29/well/family/back-to-school-covid.amp.html

I think the "prevention measures" are doing a lot of heavy lifting here. The same ones that the Right is fighting tooth and nail against.

Look, this is a decision that sucks, but given that the reality is that in a several parts of the country there will not be masks enforced, you loving close down the schools.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Cowcaster posted:

it's also an article from a month ago before kids were actually going back to school

There you go then :v:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

asdf32 posted:

What’s scary is you think you made an argument.

Are you doing the horse medicine too. I don’t recommend it. Please tell me you’ve taken the vaccine despite the fact that it has risks.

Covid harms kids. So does missing school. Find an institution that’s looked at the facts and concluded that we should shut down schools.

Its a decision that sucks to make but if I would to make it, YES, take them kids out of school!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Does ivermectin cause diarrhea? I mean it is fun to imagine chuds giving themselves the shits but I am curious.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

dwarf74 posted:

Was Nicki's friend marrying Mr. Belvidere?

Kind of shocked this hasnt been linked yet

https://twitter.com/NICKIMINAJ/status/1437532566945341441?s=20

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I have to admit, there were a couple of times where I gave in to weakness and went out a couple of times. Even then I made sure to eat in an outdoor area, preferably in a corner away from other people.

Quite frankly I do not know anymore if that would help.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am still a month out from the 6 months needed from my second shot, but I am still wondering which booster I should get (Got Moderna originally).

As an aside it feels weird to use me being a fatty as leverage for getting vaccinations asap.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

WhiteHowler posted:

Moderna seems best from a couple of pre-print studies of boosters. But that or Pfizer would be fine.

I checked the Walgreens site, and it won't let you schedule a booster other than your original. They even link to the CDC recommendation page, which says "yo, mix-and-match is fine". Edit: CVS seems to be the same.

I got Pfizer originally, and I'm fine getting it as a booster, but I was thinking about boosting with Moderna.

Also, the FDA recommends using a half-size (50-microgram) dose of Moderna for a booster, but I haven't been able to figure out if anyplace is actually doing this yet. Pfizer's booster is just the full-sized 30-microgram dose.

I am trying to schedule an appointment for Rite Aid, but I am confused; Apparently they say that they are waiting on CDC authorization for booster doses, but apparently I could make an appointment for a third shot. And I thought that a booster dose was different than a third dose (and judging from what you are saying here I am right).

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

compshateme85 posted:

Is pregnancy considered a risk category? Cause otherwise I'm not eligible for a booster :(

Pretty sure it is, but don’t quote me on it

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So I am going to Rite Aid on Monday for my Moderna booster, though my appointment still says "Dose 3". I asked about this and they said that the difference between if you are getting a full dose vs a booster dose is if you said that you were immunocompromised in the initial questionare, but quite frankly I am not entirely convinced that the people administering it will know the difference and there is the possibility I may have answered yes accidentally to it.

I know I probably should not stress if I happen to get the full dose but I will ask them when I get there, to be sure.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Just got my booster. I actually forgot my vaccination card but I did have information that Rite Aid for my first shots as a QR code so I used that. Otherwise I had no trouble. Not currently feeling much. Maybe some aches and chills, but nothing big.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 15, 2021

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
One day out from booster. Ow my arm is sore, though honestly I would be worried if it wasn't.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So when people are saying the spike proteins in Omicron would bypass the vaccine, would it still mean that the current vaccine is still good for preventing severe infection, if not infection itself? Or is there just not enough data to make a call either way currently?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Dumb question that has likely been answered before several times over, but should I get an n95 or a kn95 mask?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Welp, I have had a cough for the past week that I don't feel good about, but all the covid testing sites are stacked, so I am simply quarantining.

However, I did visit an optometrist office real quick to pick up a printout of a prescription, earlier in the week when I wrote it off as a seasonal cough and allergies. Should I let them know that I haven't been feeling well (For lack of a better term since I can't realistically get a covid test any time soon)?

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 9, 2022

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Jestery posted:

Yeah, I think this sort of thing is the difference between a containment and live-with approach

Not sure how to parse this to be honest.

I mean, it was stupid and selfish of me to go out, even if I did think it was just allergies at the time, but I do want to at least try to be responsible. On the other hand, it still could be just allergies or a cold, and I was only there for a few minutes, but I don't really have any way of determining that either way what with the way things are.

This sucks :(

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Well, after sitting out the first two weeks of the month from coming into work because I had a cough, the one day I come in happens to be the one where someone infected did come into the office :v:

Granted, I did not have close contact with the guy and for most of the time I was wearing my N95. I am not feeling symptoms yet, too. That said I think I will burn through a couple of my free tests to confirm if I can come in tomorrow or now (my workplace is slightly saner in that they only require us to come in half of the week.).

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Xenocides posted:

Wait, hold on. Are you saying this respected man might be wrong?

https://twitter.com/DonaldJTrumpJr/status/1486388986973200393

I am pretty sure that he wakes up every morning screaming because he is so blasted on coke that he doesn't remember where he is.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Guys what if a vaccinated person took Paxlovid and the vaccine and Paxlovid does the fusion dance and creates Super COVID? You all will be sorry then!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So I got the Moderna Vaxx plus the first booster. Now I just made my appointment for the bivalent booster. I went with a CVS that the vaccine.gov site said had the bivalent booster, though it doesn't say on the appointment itself that it is a booster or the bivalent one. Assuming it is (though I will ask when I get there) but it is kinda annoying,

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Well poo poo, finally got covid. Unfortunately have not got the latest vaccine yet but I did get all the ones prior so hopefully that helps.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Spinz posted:

Good luck goon, hopefully it's mild and goes away fast
:sympathy:

Much appreciated! The good news is the worst of it was the first couple of days, even if they did knock me on my rear end, and I am feeling much better now. The bad news is that my covid tests are still coming up positive so thats another week in isolation :(

Still could have been worse though!

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 11, 2024

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Apparently, most people test negative for Covid 10 days after their initial positive test. Unfortunately, I appear not to be most people because I am still testing positive on day 10, albeit with an extremely faint line for what it is worth, and these are the antigen tests. I do not know if that makes me needlessly paranoid or not. Still, I will be isolating some more for the weekend.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't annoyed as heck but I do not want to give this to anyone if I still have a chance to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am finally over COVID, and I was going to finally get my updated Vax soon, but then I see there is a recommendation that you wait 3 months after recovery before getting the new vax? Is there a reason for this? Best I can find is a claim that it is to maximize the immunity time; Basically, you wait until the immunity you get from fighting it off wears off a bit then you get your Vax which would maximize the time you have the antibodies in your system. This feels a bit suspect though.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Mar 3, 2024