Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
If you aren't forced to go to school uphill both ways in the snow, you're losing out on important character building experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Looks like something from one of those old goon bedroom threads

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
As a former NYC public school student, I find this to be complete bullshit.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
If they had a snow day didn't they just tack it on to the end of the school year anyway?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Is our children learning?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Khanstant posted:

whats so scary about it? do they give you a really hard time if youre not a sex pest?

Nah they'll just make your administration hell, especially if you're not considered part of the machine

Tammany Hall still resonates around there even if its name has long since changed

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Meme Poker Party posted:

Is our children learning?

Our children is learning hate, hate of the vile system that would steal such precious moments. Or something.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

EvilJoven posted:

I guess the thousands of underprivileged children without their own computer with a reliable internet connection can just gently caress themselves then.

I live in a pretty blue area and our school system handed out chromebooks and free Internet vouchers to any student that needed them during the pandemic. I suspect NYC does the same.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Frank Frank posted:

I live in a pretty blue area and our school system handed out chromebooks and free Internet vouchers to any student that needed them during the pandemic. I suspect NYC does the same.

In our area the school board has been pushing to build yet another new high-school campus, and the pandemic showed the residents that with a laptop and internet, that pipe dream is not all that necessary beyond a building for parents to send kids to be babysat for 8 hours each day. (And a laptop and internet for each student is arguably a poo poo ton more fiscally responsible)

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 13:35 on May 7, 2021

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

EYYYYYY I'm learnin heah

Khorne
May 1, 2002
if I had kids I'd just have them skip :shrug:

xcheopis posted:

Quite a lot of students in the US don't have snow days at all, ever, and somehow manage to get through it.
Schools in snowy areas have an extra two weeks of class per year because they assume there will be snow days. Hopefully they reduce the school year to compensate.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 7, 2021

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Khorne posted:

Hopefully they reduce the school year to compensate.

And people wonder why our kids are stupid compared to the rest of the developed world.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's not because of that lol

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Khorne posted:

if I had kids I'd just have them skip :shrug:

In a reasonable world, this is the correct answer if snow is genuinely that bad.

Robo Reagan posted:

finally the children of nyc will have had enough and learn to walk the path of the muhjahadeen

This is more likely.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Hasselblad posted:

And people wonder why our kids are stupid compared to the rest of the developed world.

it's because they don't teach critical thinking and not because kids aren't ins chool long enough. Your post is a good example

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Hasselblad posted:

?¿???????¿¿????

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
If you are not being productive, or at least putting forth the image of being productive, then you are a waste. Fun is a waste of time. Playing is a waste of time. Smiling is a waste of time. We need to train children to work and be productive at all times at all costs. Welcome to hell.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

The_Franz posted:

drat right. the stress of having to rush out of the house to sit though another day of hell instantly evaporated and was replaced with hot cocoa and video games. the best ones were where the school was closed for an entire week

we had some psycho superintendent during my first year in high school though who bragged about not calling snow days, so there were a couple of days where the school was still open despite an ongoing blizzard with buses arriving 2+ hours late, one of which slid downhill into a ditch and had to be pulled out, half the teachers couldn't come in and every class was watching a video because conducting lessons with half the class and/or teacher missing was pointless. i guess he retired after that year because they got a new guy who didn't pride himself on almost getting kids killed in bus accidents

This is actually the reason this is a low key positive, if more places accepted work/learn from home models there wouldn’t be so many people put into ditches during awful weather because the person calling the shot doesn’t have a conflict of interest with safer decision hurting the school/business.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Tumble posted:

not to call bullshit but if cows were living in a building a for a week, that building would likely have to have been condemned, they would have flooded it would so much poo poo that it would have seeped into the floors and walls and been basically uncleanable, never mind cleaned up in a couple of days. At minimum everything would have to be stripped to the concrete and hosed down and scrubbed multiple times and even then it would have gotten into all sorts of little spots. Cows are disgusting poo poo-factories. Horses you could maybe clean up after, but not cow poo poo.

This is result of a couple cows that lived inside a house for a few days after a storm blew the door open to a newly-sold residence. Absolutely nothing is salvageable here, the house has to be torn down because the poo poo has seeped in to floors and walls, it would always stink and always be a biohazard.

This is from reddit and those cows were there for a month. Why would you even bring this up when you don't know what the gently caress you're talking about?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Wellthatsucks/comments/bv2dw6/this_big_guy_and_three_of_his_friends_got_into/

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
What the gently caress kind of joyless monstrous disgusting piece of poo poo would rob kids of one of the few pleasures afforded to them during the school year?

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Gutcruncher posted:

What the gently caress kind of joyless monstrous disgusting piece of poo poo would rob kids of one of the few pleasures afforded to them during the school year?
A New Yorker.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

10 years from now: "research shows spontaneous play is more important to a child's development than a school day where their interest in being there is at its absolute minimum, due to staring at all the fun snow outside".
The response: "School on weekends!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

xcheopis posted:

Quite a lot of students in the US don't have snow days at all, ever, and somehow manage to get through it.

Yeah, and look at the kids in those states. Alabama, South Carolina... Florida??? Doing great.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 9, 2021