Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Speaking of updates, something I've been seeing on twitter is some people talking about gearing up to run HWI on stream, and according to this update it looks like that's now officially happening for real, and the first episode's already up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

For assets like the Drone, where you get the base asset with a tag and extra tags are an extra cost - can you acquire a drone with the 1-3 extra tags at character creation as an Asset, since cost isn't the limiter, or do the extra tags count as extra assets? Discussion came up on whether a King Prawn can be acquired out of character creation or not, but it has more tags than "standard" (and, conversely, there's no reason to not take the full 4-tag drone every time as a starting asset).

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

SkyeAuroline posted:

For assets like the Drone, where you get the base asset with a tag and extra tags are an extra cost - can you acquire a drone with the 1-3 extra tags at character creation as an Asset, since cost isn't the limiter, or do the extra tags count as extra assets? Discussion came up on whether a King Prawn can be acquired out of character creation or not, but it has more tags than "standard" (and, conversely, there's no reason to not take the full 4-tag drone every time as a starting asset).

Going by discussion on the discord and the Operator having a starting asset option of an extra drone tag, it seems like the intent is that you need to take additional drone tags as asset picks. Or take a small business or workshop, or both, and just get them trivially during the first prep or two.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Spotted a typo at the bottom of page 42

Something similar, bottom of page 49

Gort fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 15, 2021

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Anyone know what the deal is with starting the game with augments that have mod tags? The book says they're 2 cash per tag, but you don't have cash when you start the game.

Specific scenario is that a character wants to start with jailbroken cyber eyes. If mods are free, the powergamer in me would say you should take every mod on every augment you start with, so I'm guessing they're not free, but I don't see a cost a starting character can pay, and none of the pregens list jailbroken augments. Are they just something you can't start with?

Sathzur
Nov 19, 2009

Gort posted:

Anyone know what the deal is with starting the game with augments that have mod tags? The book says they're 2 cash per tag, but you don't have cash when you start the game.

Specific scenario is that a character wants to start with jailbroken cyber eyes. If mods are free, the powergamer in me would say you should take every mod on every augment you start with, so I'm guessing they're not free, but I don't see a cost a starting character can pay, and none of the pregens list jailbroken augments. Are they just something you can't start with?

If you want to jailbreak a mod at character generation you have to choose it as an Asset on top of the Augment

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Sathzur posted:

If you want to jailbreak a mod at character generation you have to choose it as an Asset on top of the Augment

Thanks, that makes sense.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Another chargen question.

"You now have a custom Personal Drone asset. If this isn't your first Occupation, create a new Drone to become your Personal Drone. For each rank of the Drone Specialty you have, the drone has an additional tag chosen by you."

Do these follow on from each other and only a character picking this up as an advance gets the bonus tag from the speciality?

Or is it to make sure someone picking it as an advance has a drone? Discord thought the latter but I'd like to be sure.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
If you're still taking typo feedback, there's a minor one on page 164: you don't capitalise nobiliary particles in French so Nights of Cydonia should be run by either Christopher d'Aureville or Christopher Daureville.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
For the record, I've accepted all typo feedback up until this point! It is now Too Late For That, though.

The latest update isn't much, but check out that fanart (and VTuber stream! :getin:)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
FWIW I don't remember seeing any other typos after that one, and I read the book cover to cover.

Any idea on when the itch PDF will get updated?

Also congrats on being very 1337.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ettin posted:

The latest update isn't much, but check out that fanart (and VTuber stream! :getin:)

I like the two nerds that got drawn. :unsmith:

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
I just downloaded the latest pdf from DTRPG, and in the Occupations sections it looks like something went bad with the embedded font in the purple text boxes that describe talent upgrades and clarifications: all the punctuation and numerals in the boldfaced headers have been replaced by a "null character" box-with-an-X. I checked in both Acrobat and SumatraPDF, so I don't think it's a software issue.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
This is what they look like in Foxit:

Not sure what's up with the random indent but no null characters here.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Lemon-Lime posted:

This is what they look like in Foxit:

Not sure what's up with the random indent but no null characters here.

Foxit is just not showing the null characters, then--the random indents you describe is where there's supposed to be a number telling you how many talents you need for that upgrade.

The purple box under Bluff, for example, should begin with "5+ Fixer Talents:", even in Foxit it's missing the 5+ at the beginning and the : at the end (it looks like the Player Reference pdf is still displaying correctly; if I could access imgur I'd upload comparison screenshots but it will have to wait until later).

EDIT: Having quickly skimmed through the rest of the book, it looks like the problem is only in the Occupations and Generic Talents sections, from p. 62-77. Everywhere else looks fine, even the headers for Assets, which look to use the same formatting.

GimpInBlack fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 5, 2021

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Yeah, trapping was added for print purposes but in some PDF readers it comes out super weird. I'm planning one final update once I make absolute sure I didn't miss anything :negative:

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Ettin posted:

Yeah, trapping was added for print purposes but in some PDF readers it comes out super weird. I'm planning one final update once I make absolute sure I didn't miss anything :negative:

Oh good! I was mostly worried that since this last update was to bring the pdf in line with the print version, there was a chance the problem was in the print version too. Glad to hear that's not the case!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

GimpInBlack posted:

Oh good! I was mostly worried that since this last update was to bring the pdf in line with the print version, there was a chance the problem was in the print version too. Glad to hear that's not the case!

We're taking a little extra time to get a test print done first, so if there's any big problems we'll pick them up before we print 1,000 copies :toot:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Print copies should be going out this week. Between the aftermath of the holiday season and The Whole Pandemic Thing I have no idea when anyone will actually get theirs, but the first backers (probably in TERF Island) should get 'em this month :science:

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Do you have any kind of timetable for when non backers will be able to get it in hard copy? POD or otherwise?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

CitizenKeen posted:

Do you have any kind of timetable for when non backers will be able to get it in hard copy? POD or otherwise?

The non-backer books are being shipped to the US for sale right now, so hopefully in the next month or so!

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Hell yeah!

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Should we expect them to percolate out through traditional distribution channels (e.g, should I ask at my FLGS?), or are they going to be sourced from a specific store/distributor that I should watch?

I'm sure it'll be tweeted/loudly announced, I guess.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
If your FLGS gets games from Studio 2 they should be able to order it at some point, otherwise check their store when it's out :toot:

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ettin/hard-wired-island-stories-from-l5

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I got my hard copy and is gorgeous!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Most people who wanted one have probably noticed but the hardcover copy is out! You can grab it from Studio 2 here.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008
Had our Session Zero today and my group had a hell of a time figuring out how many Specialities each character is supposed to start with. The example given in the player reference wasn't particularly helpful either. In the end we settled on seven (two from Origin, two from Occupation, three Generic) plus any granted by Traits or Augments. Of the pregen characters, one has seven, most have eight or nine, and a couple have ten, so we figured seven is supposed to be the minimum. Is that correct?

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

OutsideAngel posted:

Had our Session Zero today and my group had a hell of a time figuring out how many Specialities each character is supposed to start with. The example given in the player reference wasn't particularly helpful either. In the end we settled on seven (two from Origin, two from Occupation, three Generic) plus any granted by Traits or Augments. Of the pregen characters, one has seven, most have eight or nine, and a couple have ten, so we figured seven is supposed to be the minimum. Is that correct?

Most Origins give two Specialties (It's Complicated gives a third Specialty in lieu of a special ability), being 1st level gives two more, and the First Occupation options give one more. Adding the three generic specialties of your choice, that's a baseline of eight--but several Traits also give more.

That said, while I haven't double-checked all the example pregens, it does look like Junior the fixer is badly underspecialized--by my count he should have eleven points in specialties (three from It's Complicated origin, two from Student Loans trait, two from being 1st level, one from Fixer as first occupation, and three free picks), but he only has seven.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Subjunctive posted:

I got my hard copy and is gorgeous!

It really is a stunning book. Also heavy enough to brain someone with if you get arguments at-table.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

GimpInBlack posted:

That said, while I haven't double-checked all the example pregens, it does look like Junior the fixer is badly underspecialized--by my count he should have eleven points in specialties (three from It's Complicated origin, two from Student Loans trait, two from being 1st level, one from Fixer as first occupation, and three free picks), but he only has seven.

Yeah, I noticed Maru doesn't have her Quick Defense Specialty factored in (it should be 10) and I think she's got one too many Assets. Soyeon looks like she should have an extra Clever or Cool Defense.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 28, 2022

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Just got the notification my hardcopy should ship. Very excited. Between this and Wildsea, my coffee table is going to be well-bedecked this year.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I was sure the character sheets were right but I guess not :negative: Maru's Assets are fine though - her Hacking Suite and Programs come from her First Occupation box and all characters get to pick 2 Assets. I am choosing to resolve any other issues by pretending I do not see them.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Ettin posted:

Most people who wanted one have probably noticed but the hardcover copy is out! You can grab it from Studio 2 here.

As someone who only found out this exists in the last few months - if i get this, is a PDF included?

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Rolling an Operator, and I got drone questions:

- Do drones have a canonical size range? Can you smuggle them around in backpacks, satchels, inside your coat, etc? Can a cargo drone carry another one inside?

- A drone with a (duly licensed) Space Shell also gains Flight, correct? It's just jetting around instead of whirring around.

- Could an Operator with Coordinated Operation command two (or more) drones to attack a target rather than drone + Operator?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Hardcopy just arrived and this thing is a beaut. Worth every penny, this book is just luscious.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Ceebees posted:

As someone who only found out this exists in the last few months - if i get this, is a PDF included?

It wasn't, but I'm not opposed to that so I asked Studio 2 to include it. If it's not right now it should be soon (and I'll fix you up with a PDF if you send me the receipt!).

Mirage posted:

Rolling an Operator, and I got drone questions:

- Do drones have a canonical size range? Can you smuggle them around in backpacks, satchels, inside your coat, etc? Can a cargo drone carry another one inside?

- A drone with a (duly licensed) Space Shell also gains Flight, correct? It's just jetting around instead of whirring around.

- Could an Operator with Coordinated Operation command two (or more) drones to attack a target rather than drone + Operator?

- No canon size range, it's more about what feels right to you. One small enough to smuggle in a bag is probably fine.

- I asked Freyja and no, Space Shell just grants space mobility. (Same reason the International Space Station's RCS thrusters don't make it atmosphere-capable.)

- You can describe using Coordinated Operation so it's 2+ drones attacking the target instead of drone + Operator if you like! It won't change what you roll.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Ettin posted:

It wasn't, but I'm not opposed to that so I asked Studio 2 to include it. If it's not right now it should be soon (and I'll fix you up with a PDF if you send me the receipt!).

Awesome, thanks!

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Ettin posted:

FWIW, I ordered a hardcover from them on March 2nd and just this morning got an email from them unprompted with a PDF copy, so it looks like they're being pretty proactive about it. And thanks for doing this, I was really waffling on dropping another $30 for something I can ctrl+f in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Picked up a hardcover and am super glad I did. This is a beautiful book.