Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

I mean it has a magnet just mount it to the inside of the bucket and go the other way for the last chip.

At that point it would be easier to back out and cold chisel the last chip off, which I'm also willing to try. At this point I'm out of bits of the correct size........

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Motronic posted:

At that point it would be easier to back out and cold chisel the last chip off, which I'm also willing to try. At this point I'm out of bits of the correct size........

McMaster might still deliver tomorrow if you order now! :D

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Alarbus posted:

McMaster might still deliver tomorrow if you order now! :D

Oh that's on hold for the moment. I managed to pull something in my lower back so badly that this is the first day I'm be reasonably up and about since I apparently forgot I'm no longer in my early 20s and decided to pull the jack stands and flip that bucket over by hand to put it back on the tractor. I woke up the next morning with my back so balled up I could barely get out of bed.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

New hydraulic thumb came in for the mini excavator.

I might be able to put it on the old brackets. If not, I'll grind them off and weld on the one it came with.

Obviously it got so excited it peed itself:

So that's gonna be some more fun to deal with.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Thumb time.

Ground off the old mounts:

Figuring out where exactly I want to weld the bracket onto the dipper:

I tack welded it on and got a mobile welder out here to burn it in since my big welder is in the other barn still and I don't have sufficient power in this one to run it. He did a really nice job:

Little bit of paint. This is the first coat, I did two more:

During this I was notified that my new landscape rake had showed up at the dock, so I went over with the trailer and they loaded it for me:

Pallet forks on and very carefully take it out of the trailer. It's pretty heavy and tractors suck at doing the job that fork trucks are supposed to do:

All turned in the right direction and attached:

This is going to get a lot of work this fall.

Paint is dry, time to work on hydraulics:

Took two tries, but got the hoses working. The hydraulic shop originally made new ones for me, but didn't have the exact connector for the cylinder. Looked close enough. It wasn't. So I went back and they cut down the hoses that came with this and put the end on the other side I needed to attach it to the quick disconnects I also bought from them. QDs are expensive....the whole thing ended up costing $300, which is as much as the cheap thumb itself. Sigh.

So done, right? No....of course not. The "PTO" control for this is the left foot pedal. I started up the ex and pushed up. The cylinder started retracting. I pushed down, the cylinder kept retracting. So surely there must be some way to make this a double function PTO......dug into the service manual and yes.

Great, nothing is labeled. Time to guess:
https://i.imgur.com/C8ar7rB.gifv

NOW it's labeled:

Job done.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
And here I was feeling good about myself for hanging a new mirror in the bathroom and getting it level on only the second hole I drilled! I have skills and talents, but none of them are in this area, much less machining and hydraulics. :negative:

What's it like to work with a mobile welder? I've got a new-to-me barbecue pit that, while very nice, needs some TLC as it's about 25 years old and has only had two refits in that time. Can a mobile welder sandblast and repaint in addition to fixing hinges and things like that in the metal itself? My cursory research says "maybe" but I would appreciate the perspective of someone experienced.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Beef Of Ages posted:

What's it like to work with a mobile welder? I've got a new-to-me barbecue pit that, while very nice, needs some TLC as it's about 25 years old and has only had two refits in that time. Can a mobile welder sandblast and repaint in addition to fixing hinges and things like that in the metal itself? My cursory research says "maybe" but I would appreciate the perspective of someone experienced.

That whole list is not what's likely to be on their truck, at least around here. The guy I hired has a gigantic pickup with a self-powered stick and tig welder as well as a MIG welder that he can use for steel and aluminum (that he pugs into the stick/tig box to use as a generator). The sandblasting would be a completely different specialty in my experience and these guys aren't painters. Do they have paint? Yeah....rattle cans to cover the welds so the don't rust. That's about all they'd be interested in. I'm sure they'd weld on new hinges if you had them available, but that's not like....something they would just have. Maybe if they came out to look ahead of time they'd get them for you.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 18, 2021

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Motronic posted:

That whole list is not what's likely to be on their truck, at least around here. The guy I hired has a gigantic pickup with a self-powered stick and tig welder as well as a MIG welder that he can use for steel and aluminum (that he pugs into the stick/tig box to use as a generator). The sandblasting would be a completely different specialty in my experience and these guys aren't painters. Do they have paint? Yeah....rattle cans to cover the welds so the don't rust. That's about all they'd be interested in. I'm sure they'd weld on new hinges if you had them available, but that's not like....something they would just have. Maybe if they came out to look ahead of time they'd get them for you.

:tipshat:

I suspected as much. My buddy has owned the pit as a hand-me-down from his dad years ago and he had a mobile welder fix a caster on one side which led him to recommend that a mobile welder could do All The Things™ which I found to be a suspect position. Further investigation will be required to find a local place that can handle most if not all of those tasks, at least up to the painting part. I can (poorly) manage that myself.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Beef Of Ages posted:

:tipshat:

I suspected as much. My buddy has owned the pit as a hand-me-down from his dad years ago and he had a mobile welder fix a caster on one side which led him to recommend that a mobile welder could do All The Things™ which I found to be a suspect position. Further investigation will be required to find a local place that can handle most if not all of those tasks, at least up to the painting part. I can (poorly) manage that myself.

For something that size you're potentially better off getting it moved somewhere. I was ready to move a 2500 lb machine for this, but Aiden happened to be driving drat near past my house between jobs, knew I had it all prepped for him, and was able to pull in and pull out inside of 20 minutes for cash.

Yeah, knowing people in the trades/being known in the trades is a cheat code.

Also....does it really need media blasting? A wire wheel sounds more likely for something like that. And that's way more in the wheelhouse of a mobile welder.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My cousin once got an excavator to clear the ice berm from the end of his driveway for pocket bills, because he happened to be next door. Getting them there is so much of the expense

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Motronic posted:

For something that size you're potentially better off getting it moved somewhere. I was ready to move a 2500 lb machine for this, but Aiden happened to be driving drat near past my house between jobs, knew I had it all prepped for him, and was able to pull in and pull out inside of 20 minutes for cash.

Yeah, knowing people in the trades/being known in the trades is a cheat code.

Also....does it really need media blasting? A wire wheel sounds more likely for something like that. And that's way more in the wheelhouse of a mobile welder.

Yup, that's my game plan. It's times like this that I truly miss my truck.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Beef Of Ages posted:

Yup, that's my game plan. It's times like this that I truly miss my truck.

I learned to drive in a pickup truck, and my second vehicle was also a pickup truck. They were both used beaters, though, and when I got married I ended up moving to a more fuel-efficient sedan.

Then I bought a house, and quickly learned that it is EXTREMELY USEFUL as a homeowner to have a truck at your disposal.

I suspect when I buy a house again, one of the first accompanying purchases will be another pickup truck.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I've kinda sworn off pickups trucks. Spent too much of my life driving them. That's why I've got the dump trailer. It's better in almost every way to a pickup truck if you've otherwise got something around to pull it and the space to keep it. Even if a dump trailer is too heavy for your car, just a little trailer the size of a typical pickup bed can be pulled by almost anything and typically much lower to the ground so it's easier to load and unload.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Got the end mill in and rented the magnetic base drill again:

The drill didn't hold particularly well, so there was some walking which is to be expected with an end mill like this and something not holding it and the work piece perfectly still but it got 2 of 3 holes done before it dulled enough the be fairly useless:

Adding up the rental fees plus the end mill (it can be sharpened, but let's pretend it's a throwaway) that is an $80 hole. And I don't care. I just need this done.

Hole for the sides of the bucket were hilarious easy. I didn't even make a pilot hole, just hogged out 13/16" directly. It's much thinner and not hardened steel:

I've got just a bit of grinding touch up to do, but it's mostly done. I'll touch it up with some air tools tomorrow:

Yeah, I'm one hole short but now that I look at what these need to do I actually only needed two holes, maybe three. 5 on the bottom is just super ridiculous overkill.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Henri is on the way, and the floor of the barn is covered with stuff in progress. When we get a big enough storm the barn floods a bit because there is a 2 acre grass field upslope form it and the drainage is totally wrong in the back right corner:

I know it's hard to see grade in photos, but it's high there. Above the grade of the slab. So when water comes from the field across that wall of the barn it can only go around the front (to my back in that photo). I just remembered this yesterday because it's so infrequent.

I don't have enough time to do it nicely so hopefully this is good enough:

I'll have to get back to this after the storm passes. I also lost my landscape lights a couple days ago when it rained hard. I think I posted the disaster of an outdoor outlet that caused that the last time. I still haven't fixed it, I just remove it and wire nutted them off, and I'm guessing the hole it's in got filled up. So yeah.......another digging project to fix that.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I'm getting Ida'd

https://i.imgur.com/RdkJWdK.gifv

Things have not gone well, temporary swales and dams needed to be made.

I assume this will be a mess in the morning and there will be more content for this thread.

(good news, the drainage behind the barn from the last post worked! Bad news....it wasn't nearly enough)

Edit: I tested my little generator a bit too late and.....it wasn't good:

https://i.imgur.com/KvmR89p.gifv

That is fuel blowing out of the crank case vent. I had left the fuel cut off on the last time I used it and most of the fuel tank leaked through the carb float, past the rings and into the oil sump. Drained it all out, put in new oil and all is well again.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 2, 2021

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Motronic posted:

Edit: I tested my little generator a bit too late and.....it wasn't good:

I don't normally have long power outages or even events that could cause them, but I'm still tempted to pick up a PTO generator. Can't have fuel problems on a generator that doesn't have it's own fuel!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

I don't normally have long power outages or even events that could cause them, but I'm still tempted to pick up a PTO generator. Can't have fuel problems on a generator that doesn't have it's own fuel!

I'd hate to tie up a tractor just on a generator for my particular uses, but yeah.....I get it. It would be a hand thing to have around.

Update, the aftermath:

(notice where it stopped getting scoured out: this is why you put down geotextile fabric under things like this. It works great.

Lost a lot of stone into the grass, so I put on the york rake and scraped it back up:

Raked out the gravel path as best I could with the remaining material I had. This is good enough for a base to drop more stone on it.

I'm not going to go right to top dressing this. I need to figure out what to do to make the barn not flood from the front when we have a dump like this. I think I can make a swale/berm/water bar in the gravel path that will suffice without being problematic for driving over/parking things over.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Time to rip something else apart.

The intention is to add a dimmer switch and an outlet at the two arrows. This wall has all kinds of poo poo in it, it some kind of wood paneling with cut nails holding it in (maybe?) and you can hear both water hammer when things are shut off quickly upstairs and every time something goes down the drain from up there. It's all in this drat wall. I also have a controller for the whole home audio that I cut in previously from the other side (kitchen) that I was never able to get a drill bit down to the sill plate. I knew this needed doing so I didn't try too hard, but yeah.....let's go.

All of this is being saved to be reused, so we start by pulling trim and taking out the nails:

Whoops, already leaving "apprentice marks" with the pry bar. I guess I need to be more careful.

Let's guess at how this tongue and groove or lap board has been run. I'm gonna start from the left side.

Wrong.

Turns out this is partially held in by cut nails (just for looks) but also trim nails.

The cut nails can't be pulled so I'm driving them in through the 3/4" paneling with a drift and then pulling the rest. But I'm going from the wrong direction, and this turns out to be lap and the right side of the lap is blind nailed. So I need to start over and do this from the right to minimize damage.

Already finding fun things over here like boxes that aren't set properly (too far back, should be set at the level of the finished wall):

Huh, these three boards on the right seem to want to come out as one assembly.......

Ohhhhhhh....someone lashed them together to span the HVAC duct.......

Which somehow didn't stop them from jamming two cut nails and one finishing nail into the duct.

Okay, on to "regular" boards. Nailed into the lap (and the sill plate) that is uncovered from the board before it, so pull those out and then it's pretty easy to pry the rest off with minimal damage.

Now we've got the wall open and it's a mess of too big cut nails that split the wood behind, etc.

So on the plumbing. This is just a big dumb 4" copper waste pipe. It's gonna make tinkle noises, so that will be addressed probably with some mass loaded vinyl. If it was cast iron this wouldn't be an issue, but this is a late 60s build so this is what you got. Would have been plastic if it was much newer and had the same issue.

The supply lines however (you're looking at a 3/4" copper hot and cold to the second floor)......just what the gently caress were they thinking. The two water hammer/vibration mitigations mechanisms are this off cut of wood jammed into the left side of one of the pipes:

And these scraps jammed into the holes in the sill plate:

Did some shopping today, not a lot of electrical left at my local big box stores. Both electrical aisles looks like this:

Couldn't find any sound deadening. Not any rockwool that would work, definitely no mass loaded vinyl. Did get a few double gang boxes to try out in what is going to be a very tight spot for the switches, a good single gang for the new outlet and a proper box extension for the existing outlet down low.

There were exactly 4 tubes of fire caulk left (which I will put on the sill plate around the supply and waste lines out of general practice because this is open) and fortunately I had some other stuff around. I also picked things up for another very minor project, but the pickings were slim. It's always odd in what ways they are slim.....it seems to change from week to week.

Anyway, I have enough stuff to move forward a bit, but this wall is going to be open for a week or so until I can get some of the soundproofing I want. More to come as I have time to do it. This is not a big job, but it will take time because of my schedule and material availability.

Oh also, did I mention I suck as finish carpentry? And don't own a trim nail gun? And can't drive a trim nail to save my life? So yeah, that will be the finishing up part, but I'm buying or borrowing something for that.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Holes in the ductwork are patched, new electrical is run/dual switch box added, all penetrations through the floor are fire caulked:

Supply pipes are properly strapped:

Waste pipe has been covered in mass loaded vinyl:

All of the cut nails have been removed, everything is cleaned up and it's time to start reassembly. I need to extend the hole for the switch box, add a hole for the new outlet box and make the random hole down low (which used to be a phone line) the right size for a low volt ring so I can mount a proper blank plate on it.

While this was going on, Mr. Steam decided to stop steaming:

Well that's your problem right there:

$360 later I've got a new heating element and gasket. It took a while because there was a LOT of hard water scale, which is most likely what led to the death of the element (the scale is an insulator and creates hot spots on the coil which will eventually cause exactly what you see up there).

Bunch of cleanup later, including removing and cleaning the water level sensor in CLR and everything is back up and running.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Why does a house built in the '60s have cut nails?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Why does a house built in the '60s have cut nails?

The room was built in the style of a typical 1700/1800s farmhouse around here, so they hung wall to make it match. There aren't cut nails anywhere else. They are purely cosmetic. I mean, they are being used functionally, but you could do the same job with a trim nailer and just not see the nail heads at all.

Whoever did this room was pretty decent, found the right beams/mantle/etc so I'm guessing it was one of the local restoration contractors. But who knows, it was done long before my time here.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
What's the steam generator for?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Beef Of Ages posted:

What's the steam generator for?

The shower in the master. It's very bougie but it's amazing.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cutting box holes out with my new favorite tool:

(note the apprentice marks. Fortunately the plate cover entirely hides it)

......and the whole point of all of this, this one drat outlet. It's in.

Little more wall back up and a wide view so you can see what that outlet is running:

Trimmed out, touched up, job done. Other than all the tools that need to be put away.

See ya the next time something breaks or I have another "great idea".

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Wow, I love that living-room interior.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Wow, I love that living-room interior.

Thanks. Me too. That's why it was on the "passion project" rather than "rational and functional" side of things to get it just right. It was just so drat dark in there there was no good way to add enough "period almost correct" things like floor lamps to really make it work. The typical solution around here is as you see: track lighting and a lot of ceiling/wall wash. I'll hopefully be able to find better lights for that fixture but I got what I could get in material shortage hellworld.

That green chair is the last piece in the room that needs to be reupholstered. It's a disaster. But so was the sofa and that other chair. They're all from the turn of the century and I've had them for a very long time. Never had just the right space for them until this house.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Motronic posted:

That green chair is the last piece in the room that needs to be reupholstered. It's a disaster. But so was the sofa and that other chair. They're all from the turn of the century and I've had them for a very long time. Never had just the right space for them until this house.
My kind of person. My husband's favorite chair in the house was my grandfather's, and I'm 62. We've reupholstered it three times and are about to do a fourth.

Where did you find the wood for the walls and beams? Love it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Where did you find the wood for the walls and beams? Love it.

That was already here when we bought the place, but I can almost guarantee it came from the specialty mill we have locally. There are so many old buildings around that we can actually support that kind of thing. It's the only nearby place to get true dimensional lumber or just call up and say "so, can you make me a beam out of X at Y size and leave it rough hewn" and they're like "sure, come by next week."

I sold them a whole bunch of ash over the last couple of years as I was taking down several 80+ foot trees that were depressingly destroyed from emerald ash borer.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I'm interested in the steam shower thing because I'm going to be doing another bathroom this year, what are the advantages (and how do you prevent horrific burns)?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

CancerCakes posted:

I'm interested in the steam shower thing because I'm going to be doing another bathroom this year, what are the advantages (and how do you prevent horrific burns)?
Always enter your shower by waving a broom ahead of you.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CancerCakes posted:

So that's a thing you need to plan for from the start, because it has to be a full enclosure, with everything waterproof and tiled including the ceiling.

Advantages: it rules. Come in from the cold, turn on the steam. Come in filthy? Same answer. Let your pores open up and all the grease and poo poo actually comes out and you end up clean. Have a cold and stuffed up sinuses? Just go hang out in there. Respiratory allergies? Same. When you're good and steamed up just take a regular shower in the same place you already are.

The enclosure has the typical shower head (heads in this case, regular, rain, hand shower) so you can just use it as a regular shower. But you do need a fully waterproof enclosure.

You set it to a temperature (default is 110F and that seems just fine) with the thermostat in the shower and it heats the enclosure to that. There is just one steam "faucet" you put down low on the wall. Do not put your foot under it and you'll be fine. Biggest thing I'd suggest is making sure the steam unit (which needs to go outside the enclosure.....ours is in the closet on the opposite side of the wall) is piped for a drain. Mine isn't and would have prevented or at least greatly delayed this issue. It's an extra couple hundred bucks for a solenoid that opens up (and drains the tank) every time you shut it off. That is definitely the right thing to do, and relatively cheap when you have everything open already to build the enclosure. You're also gonna need hella power to it. Mine is on a 60 amp feed.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 30, 2022

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Motronic posted:

......and the whole point of all of this, this one drat outlet. It's in.

Cool use of the old knobs. I pulled a bunch out of my attic recently and saved them for some yet unknown future project.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Why do I hear hissing behind my cabinets. Wait, that's coming from the crawlspace below them. Why it is wet all over the wall and floor?

What the gently caress, Gary?

So we've got a bunch of 1/4" line going to the fridge on a saddle valve. With another abandoned saddle valve a few inches away.

I can't get the stuff to fix this the right way immediately, so I grabbed what I could:

These saddle valves are going away once I get parts and time.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Hahahaha what the Christ

I can tell they weren't meth freaks because those don't waste perfectly good scrap, maybe they were trying to build a moonshine still by feel?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Motronic posted:

Why do I hear hissing behind my cabinets. Wait, that's coming from the crawlspace below them. Why it is wet all over the wall and floor?

What the gently caress, Gary?

So we've got a bunch of 1/4" line going to the fridge on a saddle valve. With another abandoned saddle valve a few inches away.

I can't get the stuff to fix this the right way immediately, so I grabbed what I could:

These saddle valves are going away once I get parts and time.

Goddamn saddle valves are ticking time bombs aren't they, even if they don't have a modern art sculpture attached to them.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

kastein posted:

Hahahaha what the Christ

I can tell they weren't meth freaks because those don't waste perfectly good scrap, maybe they were trying to build a moonshine still by feel?

I think it is just the laziest way to do it. The same thought pattern is behind using saddle valves.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

StormDrain posted:

Goddamn saddle valves are ticking time bombs aren't they, even if they don't have a modern art sculpture attached to them.

This time it wasn't even the saddle valve (until I attempted to close it, which of course didn't work). If you look closely in the first pic you can see a jet of water coming out of the modern art sculpture. This ball of copper was twisted and crimped all over the place and one of the "bad spots" (the whole thing is a bad spot) finally let loose.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

This time it wasn't even the saddle valve (until I attempted to close it, which of course didn't work). If you look closely in the first pic you can see a jet of water coming out of the modern art sculpture. This ball of copper was twisted and crimped all over the place and one of the "bad spots" (the whole thing is a bad spot) finally let loose.

LOL is it that line going up/left? I thought it was twine holding up the artwork. It seemed as likely as any other explanation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

LOL is it that line going up/left?

Yep, that's the one.