Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Nooner posted:

I replied so you wouldnt have a no response thread :kiddo:

Enjoy your AIDS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Valko posted:

Awesome thread idea, OP! I'll be experimenting later - gonna try turkey jambalaya. I'll post pics in a couple of hours.

Here's Chicken Tikka I made last month. I also posted the recipe in GWS a month ago and not one single person has replied to it.

looks nice. checked out your recipe. i see you put the chicken in at the end, and so it cooks up in the sauce then?

i like to make big chicken & lentil stews in the style of "curry" and i always debate with myself how to incorporate the meat.

like should i get the chicken good and brown, then set it aside, build up the curry and then throw the chicken back in as the lentils cook?

or should I blast the chicken so it browns right away in the pan, turn the heat down a bit, incorporate my onion/garlic/ginger/spices in the chicken juices, then build up the sauce and simmer everything?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

20 Blunts posted:

looks nice. checked out your recipe. i see you put the chicken in at the end, and so it cooks up in the sauce then?

i like to make big chicken & lentil stews in the style of "curry" and i always debate with myself how to incorporate the meat.

like should i get the chicken good and brown, then set it aside, build up the curry and then throw the chicken back in as the lentils cook?

or should I blast the chicken so it browns right away in the pan, turn the heat down a bit, incorporate my onion/garlic/ginger/spices in the chicken juices, then build up the sauce and simmer everything?

I do the former. Move the meat to a plate after browning, build up the curry/stew/whatever, then toss the meat back in along with the juices that accumulated on the plate while it was resting.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

20 Blunts posted:

Thanks!!! Been waiting a month for someone to say something.

As for when to add the chicken? It really depends on the curry and how the chicken has been marinated. [EDIT] Sorry, I was in a hurry. If you've had the chicken marinating in yoghurt for a while and it's going into a thick curry or if the curry is thick and creamy, stew the chicken and don't fry it. If it's a curry that's in any way dry or depends on dried spices as a base then fry the chicken instead of stewing it. That's my opinion anyway, I'm no expert.

I'm starting to cook a vaguely jambalaya thing right now. Pics soon.

EDIT: Okay, dinner is over and what was originally planned as jambalaya is now a turkey and ham pilaf. I'm feeding two mid 60's boomers with high blood pressure so no chorizo.

I looked around the pantry and found basmati rice - so pilaf.

Valko fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 10, 2021

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Valko posted:

As for when to add the chicken? It really depends on the curry and how the chicken has been marinated. [EDIT] Sorry, I was in a hurry. If you've had the chicken marinating in yoghurt for a while and it's going into a thick curry or if the curry is thick and creamy, stew the chicken and don't fry it. If it's a curry that's in any way dry or depends on dried spices as a base then fry the chicken instead of stewing it. That's my opinion anyway, I'm no expert.

honestly if you're marinating chicken in yogurt for a tikka masala-type thing, your best bet by far is to broil it. get that nice char on the edges, closer to a tandoori chicken. really good. it's an extra step but it's fast, then you just chuck it into the sauce.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

That looks dope. What is it and how do I make it?

Just a basic roast I guess. I found a petite sirloin roast on sale and decided to try this. Just cover it in salt/spices, put on a bed of chopped veggies, cook for a bit. I couldve cooked it a bit longer because some of the veggies like carrots and potatoes weren't done enough, but otherwise came out great and was extremely low effort

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Veggie, cheese, and meat plate with cucumber, carrots, orange bell pepper, peapods, aged sharp cheddar, salami, roasted garlic hummus for dippin, and these crackers which are expensive as gently caress but they taste good

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A big juicy rear end. :mmmsmug: :sexarse:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I'd love to see more cooking from an Irishman. Or anyone not from the US I guess. I have a big American Irish family. My mom's family had 9 kids and they all have hilariously stereotypical names. My mom has been there twice and she wants to take me next time. I'm sure it's not that different from here but I like seeing stuff about different countries. :3:

You are the Irish guy right? Am I just talking out of my rear end? Again?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I should take more pics of my cooking.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'd love to see more cooking from an Irishman. Or anyone not from the US I guess. I have a big American Irish family. My mom's family had 9 kids and they all have hilariously stereotypical names. My mom has been there twice and she wants to take me next time. I'm sure it's not that different from here but I like seeing stuff about different countries. :3:

You are the Irish guy right? Am I just talking out of my rear end? Again?

Yeah, that's me. From the north.

Unfortunately I don't really do a lot of traditional Irish cooking because blaaaaaaaannnndddd. Also, not very photogenic. I do like to get exotic recipes and recreate them with what little variety of stuff there is here, though.

Oh, about sterotypical names? My parents were crazy. I could tell you the names of myself and my siblings but you'd think I was joking.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

lmao at all these dinner nerds. BREAKFAST KREW REPRESENT

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Speaking of pilaf, I've made the Uzbek cousin, plov, a few times. Roughly speaking, you fry meat (e.g. lamb) and onion in oil or fat, then add rather a lot of diced carrot. Fry those for a bit, add a bit of water, cumin, salt, paprika, perhaps some barberry berries if you have. Boil that, then lay washed long-grained rice on top; don't mix them. Poke a hole in the rice layer to add more water: You want the water to stand just a little bit above the rice, one finger joint seems to be the traditional amount.
Cut the bottom off a whole head of garlic, and push it down into the rice.

Simmer for a while, adding more water if needed; you want rice that has absorbed a lot of broth, but with enough water boiled off towards the end that you're left with steamy rice over damp but not soupy meat and carrot. Discard the garlic, pile up rice on plates, add meat and carrots.

I'm sure there are all sorts of subtleties I'm missing out on here, but it's basically rice with meat and carrots, and there are limits to how bad that can go - unless you burn it, which is a real risk.

I'll take a picture next time.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 11, 2021

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I'm going to grill a tritip and some artichoke and saute some green beans and onions, and mash some potatoes

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I love tritip. I've never heard of it before but saw it as a really cheap cut in the Seattle area. I always bought it as steaks. They were like $3 each. I asked some butchers around here at home and no one knew what it was. I finally found them in premade vacuum sealed packages at Meijer. They're not great but get the job done sometimes.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

I love tritip. I've never heard of it before but saw it as a really cheap cut in the Seattle area. I always bought it as steaks. They were like $3 each. I asked some butchers around here at home and no one knew what it was. I finally found them in premade vacuum sealed packages at Meijer. They're not great but get the job done sometimes.

Yeah idk, my wife says it is a California thing,and she had never even heard of it in Illinois, but one of my favorites to throw on a grill, especially for big gatherings

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah it's a Santa Maria roast out there. So I hear.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I’ve been seeing tritip at my grocery store recently but I know nothing about it. Is it something you can slap some S&P on and throw on the grill, or is it more of a London broil type cut where it needs to be marinated ?

Me again.
Oct 19, 2017
Iced green tea. Birds Eye Brussels Sprouts & Bacon Bake. 500 kcal for the whole tray and tasty enough. The billowing gas clouds that fill my bedroom later to-night will no doubt be equally pleasurable...

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

I’ve been seeing tritip at my grocery store recently but I know nothing about it. Is it something you can slap some S&P on and throw on the grill, or is it more of a London broil type cut where it needs to be marinated ?

Either. Its pretty easy peasy. My family (Californians near Santa maria) do a marinade but I've had without. It's like the west coast cowboy cut. Iirc its basically just a renamed version of a more familiar cut, but I dont know it off the top of my head. I do know its cheapish and easy to bbq

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I had the other half of a turkey & Swiss roll that I bought for lunch, thank you for asking

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I've had tri tip on the grill as a steak, and on the grill and oven as a roast. I'd say the grill is the best way to go. It takes a while in the oven but the grill is faster if I remember correctly.

My memories of the steaks were really great, which I'm not sure why because it's a pretty lean cut. I was used to having top sirloin all throughout my life. Then I discovered NY stips and ribeyes and now it's hard to have anything else.

They have new cuts out here that I've never heard of until a few years ago that I've only seen at Festival Foods. Spoon and charcoal. If I remember they make decent steaks. Actually I think the spoon is a roast. And they sell the charcoal cut as steaks.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 11, 2021

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Let's see, rice with some stir fried vegetables in a tasty sauce, some sliced cucumbers I quick pickled earlier in the day, hard boiled eggs and black and white sesame seeds. It was seriously good. My sauce was freaking amazing.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
More than half a bottle of Evan Williams. But I still plan on cooking something tonight instead of ordering something which I've been good at doing for weeks. For sure. Probably a (frozen) beef and broccoli package thing and heat up some cauliflower rice. We'll see how I'm feeling since its...... 9:28pm and I'm still not hungry. I want it done before midnight.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Feijoda

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

More than half a bottle of Evan Williams. But I still plan on cooking something tonight instead of ordering something which I've been good at doing for weeks. For sure. Probably a (frozen) beef and broccoli package thing and heat up some cauliflower rice. We'll see how I'm feeling since its...... 9:28pm and I'm still not hungry. I want it done before midnight.

This is exactly how it worked out. Just more bourbon. Had to crack open another bottle.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Cold soba noodles, cucumber salad, pomegranate lemonade sparkling water, cheap vodka.

And I watched Scanners. It was rad.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
carne asada burrito. in san diego it is as follows:

-seasoned carne asada
-pico de gallo
- guac
-wrapped in a giant flour tortilla
-3 red and 3 green salsas to pour over each bite

i add cheese and sour cream to get a full on gut bomb of a dinner. with a horchata por supureso cabrón

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

The green star wars character?

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
ramen noodles stir fried with chorizo onion garlic and a fried egg

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

So this might not be the best place to ask, but I have kind of had an aversion to eggs my entire life. Like at this point I can rock eggs in phad thai, or in fried rice or something, but eggs as a breakfast or center piece of a meal I just can't handle. Is there a particular dish I should try and or cook to try to get over this? I feel like it is seriously limiting my enjoyment of breakfast and food in general.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Ordered another pizza. It'll be here in about an hour. Tavern style pepperoni and garlic with some hot buffalo wings.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Met my wife and kid over at my parents' house for dinner and we had, not joking, escargots and fried chicken.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Chicken park but I used paneer instead of mozerrela and turned out meh didn’t get a good crust on the chicken or pound it enough.

Should’ve just had rear end.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

taco salad

I had leftover taco stuff to use up. iceberg, turkey taco meat, avocado, tomato, red onion, cheese, some crushed tortilla chips, hot sauce. "dressing" was just sour cream mixed with some taco seasoning. so it was pretty much just taco dip mixed together :hai:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Ordered another pizza. It'll be here in about an hour. Tavern style pepperoni and garlic with some hot buffalo wings.

square cut cracker thin? i love that poo poo.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Taco Tuesday mfers this week was Al pastor, shredded with some guac and slaw I made

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Mixed frozen veggies and slices of baked tempeh. As bachelor chow goes, not bad

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Derpies posted:

Chicken park but I used paneer instead of mozerrela and turned out meh didn’t get a good crust on the chicken or pound it enough.

Should’ve just had rear end.

That’s just like you to not pound it enough you are not a generous lover and I am SICK OF IT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
Ultra Carp
eggs on fries and a lot of canteloupe