Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Just keep cooking the egg till the white is set, I didn't realise this was rocket science

The whole concept of over easy/sunny side up doesn't exist in the UK we just cook eggs on one side and take them off when they're done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

I guess I just lower the heat and cook it gently and keep an eye on when the albumen solidifies, and take it off the heat/move the egg to one side before it's fully done to let the residual heat finish it off

I also don't like a snotty egg

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

zone posted:

That's a nice looking full English!

The pedant/purist in me needs to point out I wasn't trying for the actual full English because it needs bacon and black pudding but it's the best I can do without special trips to specific import shops that sell the right kind of bacon/black pudding for the purpose

Plus what's there is more than enough food for a hungover morning/lunch regardless

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Valko posted:

I made a pot of Bolognese. I didn't want to boil a batch of pasta since my microwave is bust and I'm not wasting electric boiling pasta for one person.

May I introduce you to the concept of boiling two or more portions of pasta at the same time and eating it later

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Valko posted:

Also, here's what I do. I boil the pasta seperately and drain it. Let it be for a while to let the steam evaporate. Dunk it in cold water to stop it from cooking, spread it out to dry further and then put in the fridge.

I love this forum

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Roasted green and red pepper, red onion and mushrooms with some fajita style spices

I had some chicken to use so I made a quick peri peri sauce and sautéed it in that, grilled some halloumi and stuffed it in a wrap along with some rocket, pickles and some quickly made garlic yoghurt

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Valko posted:

My mom has been in the hospital for a few days which means my dad is home alone and giving away food that he won't get around to eating. He phoned me earlier to tell me he was dropping off a cucumber, courgette and some peppers. He brought me six bell peppers of assorted colours. What the hell am I supposed to do with six of these drat things? I'll never get through them all unless I start eating them like apples.

roast them and eat them, if you can't eat them in time turn them into some kind of sauce and freeze that to eat with pasta or w/e at a later date

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

This was my dinner, in northern English vernacular (i.e. lunch)

Looks a bit of a mess but tasted great. Poached eggs and bacon on toast with asparagus which I had quickly poached then sautéed in the bacon fat along with butter, garlic and chili pepper. A little side salad of rocket and tomato with a homemade dressing and then shaved parmesan all over because I was going to spread cream cheese on the toast but it was moldy and the meal needed cheese.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I've made this Ottolenghi recipe before which was delicious - grilled/broiled courgettes mashed with garlic topped with a roquefort and goats milk yoghurt dressing, toasted pine nuts, warm chili butter and za'atar. Makes a great side for any kind of Levantine cuisine-inspired meal.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Fartington Butts posted:

It annoys me that I've never tried vegemite despite reading so much about it.

I just ordered some.

I'll be the requisite Brit saying that Marmite is better.

I've got someone moving into my apartment on Friday to sublet it for a couple of months over summer while I gently caress off on holiday so I'm currently eating my way through the fridge and freezer to make space for them. This has resulted in some interesting dinners.

Tonight I defrosted a sausage, fried it off, cooked it in a chickpea, lentil and spinach curry and served it with some of yesterday's leftover rice, topped with a fried egg. Was pretty great tbh.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I'm working in a hotel on a Turkish beach for the rest of the summer, as I do every year whenever I can. I work in the kitchen helping make the dinner buffet and also doing the desserts because as great as Turkish cuisine is the desserts are kind of average and they like my English style cakes. Tonight's spread was particularly delicious.

Tomato soup, barbecued chicken, grilled onion, bulgur, creamy potatoes, mushrooms

Aubergine, purslane with yoghurt, pea hummus, red cabbage with yoghurt, greek salad, and two green salads

And my chocolate cake

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Today i made some cookies for the customers

I always have to make extra because everyone loving loves a cookie and many get filched through the cooking process, and I also like bringing them to my friends in other camps here

Also I made lunch for the workers - normally we eat the leftovers from the previous night but we didn't have any, so a bigass pot of creamy pasta felt necessary

Here's my coworkers

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Tried put a new recipe for an apple and cinnamon cake today and it was loving banging, maybe the best cake I've made here

The cake had diced apples on and interestingly used Greek yoghurt, then I made a sugar/butter/cinnamon paste which I dripped all over it and kind of penetrated the cake as it cooked, and finally a simple icing sugar and milk glaze

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

lemme see that cake recipe.

https://www.sweetestmenu.com/cinnamon-apple-cake/

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Can't go wrong with good grated cheddar on top of your shepherd/cottage pie before baking

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Some simple gnocchi recipe I saw Kenji post on instagram. Mushrooms roasted with thyme, garlic cream sauce with peas and chives, toss through gnocchi

I also cooked some lardons in the sauce and served it with lots of grated parmesan because why not

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Frittata with onion, potato, green pepper, mushroom, peas, garlic, thyme, parsley, feta, cheddar, decorated with avocado and chives

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

zone posted:

I'd pay to eat something like that at any good bistro or restaurant. You're very good!

Thanks you're very kind 😊

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I've never eaten Spam but Spamchat stirred something in the deepest recesses of my memory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSQtfWnFLIs

I should probably eat some Spam tbh it seems like I'd guiltily enjoy it

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Lunch: Brie de meaux, bacon, tomato, rocket, onion relish and butter in a wholegrain baguette

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 24, 2023

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Brunch was a giant hash brown topped with smashed avocado, eggs, bacon, grilled tomatoes and beans

And then cheese and hot sauce

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Brunch hash - potato, chorizo, courgette, halloumi, red onion, avocado, with eggs, cheese and hot sauce

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Made this deconstructed Lasagna Pie thing for a dinner party last night:

You make a meat and cheese sauce and cook some of it with the pasta and then reserve some on the side to additionally sauce your slice of lasagna pie on your plate.

After seeing this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUVLX1tiHbU&t=619s

Not pictured, sticky toffee pudding that I made for dessert

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Nov 1, 2023

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Thai green curry

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Speaking of pork loin. I got really hosed up last night, as per usual, and made a pre-marinated pork tenderloin that I had in my freezer since January. Apparently it was really good because I ate almost the entire thing. Like, a pound of pork. I added a ton of garlic and possibly other stuff. I made a frozen broccoli/pasta thing that was quite nice.

The thing I'm concerned about is the sauce that's on the pork. It looks like thousand island dressing but I don't have anything that looks like thousand island in my fridge. So it must be a mix of some poo poo I have in there. Maybe mayo, sour cream, some sort of hot sauce for the reddish color, dill relish? I honestly do not recall making it and sometimes it's an investigative process the next day working backwards of what I might have done. I did not leave any clues behind besides my little sauce mixing dish was in the sink.

However, it was loving delicious.

You were too hosed up to remember what you did but were still able to take those perfectly cromulent photos?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

shazbot posted:

Have you never been really drunk. That’s a Wednesday for me

Oh I've got my own fair share of stupid hosed up kitchen escapades but they've never been accompanied by in-focus photography. One time I found half a packet of uncooked ramen on the counter, along with untouched packets of sauce and seasonings, and figured I'd eaten a very sad half portion of plain ramen, an assumption that held until I later opened the fridge and found the other half dipped inside a pot of greek yoghurt.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 13, 2023

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Valko posted:

It was this much garlic:

Excellent amount of garlic but please add your pasta to the sauce for the last minute or two of cooking

You can use a slotted spoon or tongs to transfer the pasta/spaghetti straight to the sauce, which will bring some of the pasta water with it which when mixed will help make your sauce creamier and coat your pasta better

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Valko posted:

Also, there were 4 chicken breasts in the sauce I made, enough for 3 dinners. I didn't have a pot or pan big enough. If I was cooking for more people or going to eat it all at once I would do exactly what you suggested.

So how are you reheating the pasta if you're not mixing it into the sauce before serving? Are you doing that separately because that would seem wildly more time and energy inefficient, or did you cook the sauce, remove 1 portion and then dollop it on top of cold pasta? Why couldn't you remove the amount of sauce you're doing to save for later and then toss the pasta through the remaining sauce before serving?

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 8, 2023

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Execution is great but truffle anything that's not actual truffles is gross poo poo made with overpowering artificial flavouring that tastes nothing like actual truffle

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

It just depends on the chippy. Plenty of them do great soft flaky fish with light crispy batter. If you're a tourist and just go to the first pub in a tourist area in London and get fish and chips and think it's representative of the meal then you'll be sorely disappointed but the same applies in every country. I do agree that our chips could be better, but fries aren't the answer with fish and chips. The Dutch and the Belgians make the best chips imo.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

i should probably work on portion control. one salmon fillet and half the veg and rice would have been sufficient. made a generic east asian-y marinade for the salmon - garlic, ginger, honey, soy, oyster and sriracha sauce, lemon juice, rice wine vinegar and sesame oil, which i also fried the veg off in. would have liked the veg to be crispier too, could have done with a shorter blanch. still drat tasty and i should eat salmon more.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I've been sick so I made chicken noodle soup but with pastina. made a stock that was basically vegetable soup - onion, carrot, celery, blended down, poached chicken in it and then shredded the chicken and cooked the pastina in there then dumped a shitload of parmesan, butter and finally stirred an egg through it off the heat.

Was pretty great except all through the meal my dumb fuzzy brain was trying to remember what I'd forgotten to top it with and remembered when I finished - lemon juice

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Lmao your parents got done

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Gatts posted:

7:30pm - Boneless spicy garlic, goldfinger, spicy bbq, 911 and fire in the hole wings
7:35 - cigarette
7:47 - cocaine
7:56 - cocaine
8:12 - heineken, pizza
8:30 - bourbon
8:45 - cocaine
8:52 - more ice in the bourbon
9:12 - chalupa supreme add nacho cheese and extra beef and ranch
9:24 - more heineken
9:27- orange juice
9:30 - grass to take the edge off
9:55 - cheesy gordita crunch with diablo sauce
10:10 - more bourbon, tequila, and coke.
10:46 - drops first acid
10:51 - Gatts is ready to post

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

So especially loaded nachos then?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Thanks for the advice! I would have put a big ol' glob of it on plain toast.

Well that's encouraging. I love all of those.

I love marmite on toast but as an ingredient it really shines - a spoon in sauces, gravies or whatever goes a long way

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Garlic chili shrimp spaghetti

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Valko posted:

I didn't fry it that long, while I was looking for recipes I found out it's safe to eat raw - so I just took the slices from the pan, cubed them and dropped them into the curry.

It's safe to eat many things raw but that doesn't mean it's the best or tastiest way to have them, and tofu is like No1 on the list of 'poo poo that wildly improves' with different preparation methods