Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

My mother-in-law and her husband invited themselves over tonight, and their apology for imposing on us was to bring fancy steaks for dinner. Kind of a stressful gift cause it meant I was suddenly in charge of not loving up $100 worth of meat.

Nervous about posting a picture because, y’know, steak opinions. But they were pretty tasty so YOLO. Baked carrots on the side and gooey brownies for dessert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runchild
May 26, 2010

Costco pre-cooked pulled pork on some leftover brioche buns. Pan-fried green beans on the side. More of those gooey brownies for dessert.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Monday is pizza night so I used the Costco pulled pork to make a BBQ pizza. Not pictured: green onions applied after slicing.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Pizza night again

runchild
May 26, 2010

Taters, carrots, kielbasa. Chop ‘em up, toss ‘em in oil and herbs, and roast. Delicious.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Im burgin

runchild
May 26, 2010

Tried out a poppy seed chicken casserole. Extremely midwestern recipe - condensed soup, an inadvisable amount of dairy, crackers on top, the works. Verdict: not bad, not amazing. I’ll happily keep eating the leftovers and then probably not bother making it again.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Any of y’all remember Noble Romans? It was a pizza chain that used to be big in the Indiana/Kentucky/Ohio area, but got wiped out in the 08 financial collapse. A few years ago they reappeared with some “craft pizza & pub” locations, and they’re not half bad. I had a Detroit-style pizza with chorizo, mushrooms, and “sweety drop” peppers. Pretty good.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Mayo-brined grilled chicken with white cheddar, spinach, and grilled onions on a brioche bun. Rally’s fries on the side, which are pretty good for frozen.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Really more of a marinade but “mayo-brined” sounded better.

Mayorinade?

Anyways, this but different toppings.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Pennywise the Frown posted:

So are we talking 2tbsp of mayo or 1/2 cup of mayo?

Maybe a half cup? For 4 cutlets. Not quite as thickly slathered as the thighs in the video.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Not gonna lie. I'd try it. But I couldn't imagine mayo being used as a marinade because it's not acidic. So it won't actually contribute to a long soak. I use heavily acidic/salty/pungent stuff for my marinades. Obviously seasonings and olive oil and stuff go in the bag too.

Now I'm curious. Not curious enough to do it though.

Mayonnaise includes vinegar or lemon juice, and USDA standards say mayo has to have a pH between 3 and 4. I am making no claim as to the usefulness of the mayo as a for-real marinade, just pointing out that it’s not NOT acidic. Skip the maybe-marination if you want, the primary benefit was definitely the nice crust.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Chicken and crispy potato tacos.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Made another pulled pork pizza but this time it’s homemade pork and teriyaki sauce.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Supposed to be teriyaki chicken on a bed of rice, but I accidentally made rice porridge instead so we switched gears and had teriyaki chicken nachos.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Spinach & feta turnovers. Kind of like bastardized spanikopita.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Went to a local place that has a really good spicy bacon ranch burger, but I was feeling fish & chips this time. Couldn’t decide which beer I wanted so I ordered a flight.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Alton Brown’s chicken biscuit pot pie. I could only find turkey sausage, and I used pre-made biscuits because effort, but still good. It even overcame my wife’s doubts, so it’s going on the list of things to make again. I think I’ll toss some peas and carrots in there next time though.

runchild
May 26, 2010

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I'm def trying this, and I like your additions too

I forgot to mention that since I wasn’t making the biscuits from scratch I put the thyme, cayenne, and cheese in/on the filling instead.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Tortellini with homemade alfredo and homemade garlic toast. It was okay. Room for improvement.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Black garlic tonkotsu ramen

runchild
May 26, 2010

Sesame dressing and wonton strips from a salad kit, but on some fresh spinach instead of the not-so-fresh lettuce. Tossed some feta in too because why not. An odd combo but pretty good. Then a slice of chocolate cake for dessert, to counterbalance my healthy main course.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Wife’s mother’s husband brought fancy steaks for me to cook again. I was more prepared this time and had some compound butter ready, but I had no clue that I was also bacon-wrapping them.

runchild
May 26, 2010

We had to go downtown for something, so it was a perfect opportunity to have dinner at this amazing fried chicken place. Wife and I split half a bird, horseradish mashed potatoes, and their mac and cheese. It’s seriously one of my favorite meals ever.

Photo credit to my wife cause I was too busy chowing down.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Korean fried chicken sandwich with a flight of:
-Double IPA w/ Buddha hand
-Turmeric golden ale
-Black witbeir
-Smoked porter w/ vanilla

Didn’t like the smoked part of the last one but everything else was great.

runchild
May 26, 2010

California burrito with a shared margarita.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Double Double Animal Style

runchild
May 26, 2010

Back from my vacation, so I got the fried chicken sandwich with chipotle aioli from one of my favorite local microbreweries.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Cheesy fajita tacos with pork and brisket tacos. They were both good but the pork won hands down. With a side of esquites and a helles lager.

“Spouse Like a House” ice cream in a dipped waffle cone for dessert.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Bacon, eggs, cheese, and homemade chipotle cream cheese on a bagel.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Found a place near me that does a California burrito (last week’s was while I was on vacation in the titular state).

Mmmmm carbs.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Pizza and breadsticks and beer from a local spot near my father-in-law’s house. The food was good, but the vibes were the real winner. Open air indoor seating in a converted auto garage, the friendly owner was manning the bar, and we were starving after kayaking. Technically an extremely late lunch but close enough.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Made those chicken sandwiches again with the debatably-a-marinade-or-brine mayonnaise method that I mentioned in this thread a while back. It’s become my go-to for grilling chicken because it consistently delivers amazingly juicy and delicious results. This time I used leftover chipotles in adobo instead of hot sauce.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Beastie posted:

Yo hit me with this marinade. It’s finally starting to get summery and I’ll be grilling chicken a lot.

Basically just mix some mayo with whatever seems good. In the example I got the idea from it’s hot sauce and cumin seeds, though I’ve yet to follow that recipe to the letter.

I’m no food scientist, so take this with a grain of salt: mayo is a bit more acidic than you might think, and it obviously has fats, so it’s most of the way towards being a marinade already. It’s pretty much just missing fat-soluble seasonings. Most importantly, the extra fat keeps things nice and juicy as it cooks. It’s obviously gonna add a few extra calories but I think they’re worth it.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Sausage egg and cheese biscuits

runchild
May 26, 2010

I had fast food Chinese, it was fine. But before that, I had a shower beer after a hard bike ride and that was wonderful.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Jalapeño poppers, but in burger form. Fried jalapeños, bacon jam, cream cheese schmear.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Potato, red pepper, zucchini, and sausage skillet

runchild
May 26, 2010

Chicken spiedies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runchild
May 26, 2010

Chicken panini with pepperoni, onions, banana peppers, white sauce, and gouda. I usually have the wings at that restaurant (they have an amazing house dry rub) but I was feeling something different.