Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Some deboned salmon pieces fried skin-on in a pan with lemon juice and a bit of pepper, rice made with coconut cream, and mixed vegetables (steamed, then quickly fried with a dash of bottled mashed garlic).

Not bad, but I should have used more lemon and more garlic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Speaking of pilaf, I've made the Uzbek cousin, plov, a few times. Roughly speaking, you fry meat (e.g. lamb) and onion in oil or fat, then add rather a lot of diced carrot. Fry those for a bit, add a bit of water, cumin, salt, paprika, perhaps some barberry berries if you have. Boil that, then lay washed long-grained rice on top; don't mix them. Poke a hole in the rice layer to add more water: You want the water to stand just a little bit above the rice, one finger joint seems to be the traditional amount.
Cut the bottom off a whole head of garlic, and push it down into the rice.

Simmer for a while, adding more water if needed; you want rice that has absorbed a lot of broth, but with enough water boiled off towards the end that you're left with steamy rice over damp but not soupy meat and carrot. Discard the garlic, pile up rice on plates, add meat and carrots.

I'm sure there are all sorts of subtleties I'm missing out on here, but it's basically rice with meat and carrots, and there are limits to how bad that can go - unless you burn it, which is a real risk.

I'll take a picture next time.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 11, 2021

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Pack of ground beef, half a leek and half a bell pepper I had lying around, fried in a pan with random spices. Add in some chicken stock, water, and potato flour , plus a dash of ketchup since that was the only tomato paste I found, and it made for a reasonable sauce.

I put that in a dish, then made mashed potatoes from powder and mixed in some cheese, and used that as a Shepherd's pie style lid. Came out ok, the potato cheese lid browned up nicely - but I need to refine the spice mix. Less cinnamon next time.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I dont like HP sauce that much for steak but I gotta say, in shepherd's or cottage pie it is so goddamn good.

It's great, but it's also hard to find gluten-free (the rye is apparently an important part of the tang?). Not a problem for me, but the BF is celiac and would, uh, violently disagree with it.

In hindsight, some soy sauce may have been nice.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I had a bag of preshredded salad and added some ham, feta, and cheddar. With the pesto/olive oil from the feta and a healthy drenching of Kraft creme fraiche/leek dressing it was ... fine? Adjusted for the time it took to make it was excellent.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I made very mediocre gluten free pasta, rolled it out with a rolling pin, stamped out circles, and made tortellini with a cheddar/ham/basil filling. The filling came out well, but the pasta needed to be a third the thickness.

Also, peanut meringue with chocolate ganache as a dessert, to use the leftover egg whites. Much better than the pasta. :)

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

In one sense it's really easy. The minimal recipe for egg pasta is wheat flour and enough eggs to make a stretchy dough, tuned with some water for consistency, and then you shape it somehow. A rolling pin and a flour-dusted surface plus a pizza cutter makes entirely edible, though rustic, fettuccine.

For some fine tuning, add salt, use extra egg yolk instead of just whole eggs, and perhaps a spoonful of olive oil.

The hard part is in the shaping - getting it thin and even is presumably a lot easier with pasta maker. Either way, you have to tune the liquid content to make it soft enough to shape but not too sticky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Leftover rutabaga/carrot/parsley root mash from yesterday, with some bacon and sausage fried in the bacon fat on the side. It was... well, it was fast, and not bad.