Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Garlic braised short ribs. Braising doesn't make for the most photogenic cooking, but this was real good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Made some heirloom chicken stock yesterday. Slow simmered with fresh herbs and alliums.

Today, separated the fat from the stock and used when roasting these potatoes...

This is just out of the oven at the end of the cook, yum

https://i.imgur.com/IrOwHn4.gifv

(has sound)

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Heirloom chicken refers to breeds of chicken that live outdoors, are slow growing, and are often smaller than conventionally sold chicken.Jul 21, 2020

Yeah, its that. I guess its kinda fancy, but a 4 lb whole chicken was only $15, so that's not so bad in 2022. I got stock, meat, and cooking fat out of it.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
I think there is a big difference in flavor. I started making my own stock as a way to make use of whole chickens which are way cheaper than precut pieces (like, an entire chicken can be the same price as just the two breasts). You can buy a whole chicken, cut off the legs and breasts for whatever and freeze the rest until you have enough bits to make stock. I'm crap at cutting up chickens but for a lot of recipes, who cares if your cuts are slightly off?

Homemade stock really extracts a lot of protein and other nutrients from what might otherwise be thrown away. Good stock will be semi solid at fridge temperature - thats all healthy protein that adds a lot of body to many dishes.

Stock in the fridge lasts 2-10 days depending on who you ask, and 6-12 months in the freezer.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Made some coconut chicken curry

garnished with this very cute confetti cilantro I am growing

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Made a very nice vegan curry from scratch this afternoon

drk
Jan 16, 2005
rip: my balls

(making some hot sauce this evening)

drk
Jan 16, 2005

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Hot sauce for dinner?

Unconventional but I’ll allow it.

its for dinner, in like 3 weeks

drk
Jan 16, 2005
fancy pic of unfancy meal: teriyaki chicken and brocolli on short grain brown rice

also, jambalaya is great and easy

drk
Jan 16, 2005
i've got a japanese grocery nearby, so why not make sukiyaki?

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Beef and gai lan stir fried with garlic, ginger, chili and two kinds of soy sauce

drk
Jan 16, 2005
made beef stew over the weekend, got nice pic

drk
Jan 16, 2005
braised pork shoulder all'arrabbiata

into the oven

out of the oven

pork rested and shredded

served with some penne

drk
Jan 16, 2005
made a big messy pile of chicken tinga

the picture undersells it, it was real good served in a hot tortilla

drk
Jan 16, 2005
the sunday afternoon tingler with some radishes i had

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I understand that which is why I drew the comparison. But I never really heard anyone specify the seeds. It's always the cilantro. :shrug:

Really? Ground coriander seed is pretty common in Mexican food, Indian food, lots of other stuff where cilantro-y flavor is desired, but the actual leaves would just turn to goo during cooking.

Pro tip for gardeners, Cilantro often bolts frustratingly quickly but after it starts to flower it will set (coriander) seeds. Once the seeds are fully formed, cut down the plant, hang it to dry, and harvest the seeds. Fresh ground coriander seed like this is really, really good.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

nexous posted:

Gout isn’t (just) caused by organ meat. Any meat, especially fish, many veggies,alcohol, carbonation, genetics, being a man, and elevation changes will cause. Luckily there’s a medication that mostly makes it go away.

You forget the risk factor of being Filipino

Also what's that medication, cuz I literally do know a bunch of Filipino people with gout problems

drk
Jan 16, 2005
carnitas and homemade greensauce

drk
Jan 16, 2005
selfposting from the vegan thread

drk posted:

Made an almost* vegan version of this chinese-japanese dish: https://www.justonecookbook.com/beef-green-pepper-stir-fry/

Only major change made to the recipe was using shimeji mushrooms instead of beef and shishito peppers instead of bell peppers

*i also used water instead of chicken broth and there is a tiny amount of oyster sauce in this, but there are vegan versions

Very good, would eat again

the original beef version is also good, but the mushroom version is 🤌

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Shishito

drk
Jan 16, 2005
i made some wild salmon green curry with fresh spinach, very tasty

recipe here: https://theviewfromgreatisland.com/salmon-coconut-curry-recipe/comment-page-1/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drk
Jan 16, 2005
spicy beans and rice with half an avocado

cost less than $2 for a big plate and nearly zero effort