Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

mad respect to the hardcore barefoot hobbit feet crowd but that ain’t no way to live my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
would Goku have had enough energy to kill every lifeform on that planet if he were vegan

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

wynott dunn posted:

would Goku have had enough energy to kill every lifeform on that planet if he were vegan

Less animal fats, less atherosclerosis, and better blood flow. He would have been stronger!

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
Bump

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

goku would have been vegan had the path been open to him

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
Kamehameha the carnists.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Goku connected with every living being on the planet with the spirit bomb. If Impossible or Beyond or Capsule Corp brand alternate meat products had existed, or a solid precedent had been set by society on vegan cooking and nutrition, he sure as gently caress wouldn't have been eating animal meat and dairy. He knew what pain and strength meant, and he had kids to set an example to. Impossible to, in light of the moral framework provided by a strong vegan movement, tell them to fight for the innocent and butcher living beings for their flesh.

Besides, one look at the success of vegan athletes and he would have seeking out health benefits.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Optimus Prime was a carnist, chugging dead dino juice

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

yea but could T. Colin Campbell take Carnivore MD in a fight

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Wheeee posted:

yea but could T. Colin Campbell take Carnivore MD in a fight

Maybe after Saladino's inevitable heart attack.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Saladino’s LDL is like 550 lmao

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

i miss that low carb guy

https://youtube.com/watch?v=95fpzu38r44

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009
When Paul’s heart explodes I wonder how he will spin it. He already had to walk back on carbs and admit eating fruit is good for you (but only seasonally!!!).

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Nice there's a vegan thread.
Oh no the vegan thread is bad.

edit: the wikipedia article on intelligence in fish is worth reading and has some surprising observations. This one stands out:

quote:

Cleaner fish

Bluestreak cleaner wrasse (bottom) with a client fish
The bluestreak cleaner wrasse (Labroides dimidiatus) performs a service for “client” fishes (belonging to other species) by removing and eating their ectoparasites. Clients can invite a cleaning session by adopting a typical posture or simply by remaining immobile near a wrasse's cleaning station. They can even form queues while doing so. But cleaning sessions do not always end up well, because wrasses (or wrasse-mimicking parasitic sabre-toothed blennies) may cheat and eat the nutritious body mucus of their clients, rather than just the ectoparasites, something that makes the client jolt and sometimes flee. This system has been the subject of extensive observations which have suggested cognitive abilities on the part of the cleaner wrasses and their clients. For example, clients refrain from soliciting a cleaning session if they have witnessed the cleaning session of the previous client ending badly.[95][96] Cleaners give the impression of trying to maintain a good reputation, because they cheat less when they see a big audience (a long queue of clients) watching.[97] Cleaners sometimes work as male-female teams, and when the smaller female cheats and bites the client, the larger male chases her off, as if to punish her for having tarnished their reputation.[98]
Learning that these guys might be running confidence tricks on their fellow fish helped convince me that we really shouldn't be eating them.

Nocturtle has issued a correction as of 15:46 on Mar 27, 2023

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

BONGHITZ posted:

goku would have been vegan had the path been open to him

The heart virus wouldn't have been enough to kill him if he wasn't all clogged up with cholesterol.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

the only foe too powerful for Goku to defeat was atherosclerosis

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Nocturtle posted:

There is a more serious thread outside of c-spam.

It's crazy how hard it is to get people to accept that fish aren't just scaly robots or swimming vegetables. They aren't as emotive and so harder to empathize with I guess.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

DrBox posted:

There is a more serious thread outside of c-spam.

It's crazy how hard it is to get people to accept that fish aren't just scaly robots or swimming vegetables. They aren't as emotive and so harder to empathize with I guess.

I've known some pescatarians who call themselves vegetarian and frankly, they must be destroyed for their lies.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

all vegetarians should be destroyed

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009
according to that thread working class people can't survive on a vegan diet lol. why can't people just admit they're addicted to meat and cheese. why do they need to lie in the most shameless way possible.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

its really funny seeing westerners grapple with their consumption habits, on a per person basis the west consumes far more meat than any of their nonwestern brethren

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

anyways this thread is aids because every few posts someone goes LOL I love beyond/impossible/etc

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

FacelessVoid posted:

according to that thread working class people can't survive on a vegan diet lol. why can't people just admit they're addicted to meat and cheese. why do they need to lie in the most shameless way possible.

honestly I think one reason is also that food education is hosed on some pretty fundamental levels. I get all sorts of questions from well-meaning friends/family worrying I don't get enough protein or w/e.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Srice posted:

honestly I think one reason is also that food education is hosed on some pretty fundamental levels. I get all sorts of questions from well-meaning friends/family worrying I don't get enough protein or w/e.

iirc the food pyramid most americans grew up with was basically created by corporations for the usda

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

american eating habits are really bad, unless you are a bodybuilder or something you should focus more on just eating right rather than hitting your macro's/micro's

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

iirc the food pyramid most americans grew up with was basically created by corporations for the usda

yea. and a lot of corporate marketing stuff that eventually transformed into accepted "knowledge" like how you NEED milk to get enough calcium.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

this might seem like a shitpost but I'm genuinely curious where people draw the line in terms of what constitutes a breach of ethics for people who are vegan for secular moral reasons. Are there non-plant organisms that would have the same moral value for killing and eating that a plant would? I'm thinking about stuff like eg. mussels, the life of which is difficult for me to meaningfully value over say, a bean plant or something.

must stress that I'm not trying to own anyone here. I had an existential rack focus moment in the grocery store yesterday while staring at a live shellfish display.

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009
I don’t have a moral issue with eating non-sentient animals like jellyfish or some mollusks. If it doesn’t have a central nervous system it can’t suffer.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Really if you think about it the most ethical food is the most intelligent as they are typically more capable of loving things up for everyone else. Aint never been an oyster that introduced invasive species to some place or just shot all the buffalo for genocide

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Nocturtle posted:

edit: the wikipedia article on intelligence in fish is worth reading and has some surprising observations. This one stands out...

yeah this is one of the strongest arguments for eliminating meat intake imho. every time we look into animal intelligence we're like whoops! it's probably safe to assume that most animals are smarter & more conscious than we imagine

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

I had an existential rack focus moment in the grocery store yesterday while staring at a live shellfish display.

nobody can provide a factual answer on "how conscious" some animals are, so if you feel bad eating something just don't eat it (provided you have the means to eat other things)

Polo-Rican has issued a correction as of 21:38 on Mar 27, 2023

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
the pricing and packaging of vegan stuff pisses me off so bad. vegan breakfast sausages are sold in a box the size of a ps5 and priced at $6.00 for 6 miniscule sausages. veggie sausages are stupidly tasty now, and i could imagine lots of people who don't care about veganism switching over, but this stuff is never gonna take off as long as its priced for and marketed towards rich libs

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Nocturtle posted:

edit: the wikipedia article on intelligence in fish is worth reading and has some surprising observations. This one stands out:

Learning that these guys might be running confidence tricks on their fellow fish helped convince me that we really shouldn't be eating them.

hell yeah fish own

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Polo-Rican posted:

the pricing and packaging of vegan stuff pisses me off so bad. vegan breakfast sausages are sold in a box the size of a ps5 and priced at $6.00 for 6 miniscule sausages. veggie sausages are stupidly tasty now, and i could imagine lots of people who don't care about veganism switching over, but this stuff is never gonna take off as long as its priced for and marketed towards rich libs

so don’t eat that garbage

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Polo-Rican posted:

People trying to replicate their old meat-eating diet as a vegan is a pet peeve of mine

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Wheeee posted:

so don’t eat that garbage

Yup. You can get a big bag of vital wheat gluten and recreate a lot of those foods yourself. Homemade black bean burgers are also delicious.

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Reading Fast Food Nation in middle school was probably the first time I really started thinking about the disgusting conditions both animals and people are put through on a massive scale for cheap and unhealthy food. Took me a lot longer for to fully act on those thoughts as I gradually cut out specific meats out of my diet over the years (first pork, then beef and other red meats, then finally fish and chicken). Seeing a couple videos along the way definitely speed up that process

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN posted:

People trying to replicate their old meat-eating diet as a vegan is a pet peeve of mine

its such a weird way of thinking, and you limit yourself so much

like this dumbass lol

Epic High Five posted:

Chickpeas are just incredibly versatile and always good, right up there with lentils in terms of bang for your buck

I tend to avoid tofu if I'm not cubing it and pressing the poo poo out of it, I like the stuff but not outside of filling the role of meat or snacking and the smooth or silky stuff I find offputting. Nine times out of ten the best replacement for meat is some kind of bean. Seitan is good but I'm too lazy to make it and nobody carries it around here.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

This is the worst state this thread has been in since it was 80% cspam regulars drifting in to post "mMm bacon yummy yummy" and other epic poo poo

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

the people crave food that looks like sausage, therefore vegan sausage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN posted:

yea. the good store-bought vegan burgers are the ones that don't try to replicate the taste of meat, not to mention those ones tend to be sanely priced + they have packaging that's not incredibly stupid

but really they just gotta learn to make their own. cheap and delicious!