Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

all the stupid fake meats have taken away all the mushroom/bean burgers too @_@

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I just don't like most tofu, not sure where you're getting that other stuff. I've said numerous times that I dislike how meat-focused all the alternatives are! It's not wrong to say it helps convince people to eventually give up meat tho when it's been in most meals for most people since they were born.

Boca burgers are still going strong, and I remember Trader Joe's had some good black bean patties but I haven't lived near one for 10 years now so it's probably way worse and 5x the price now, RIP. My mom used to grill a whole big rear end portabello and eat that on a bun but that's Too Much Mushroom for me. gently caress all else tho you're right there.

imho the fake meats should be made in huge batches in big no-nonsense factories and sold in the meat department for like $1 a pound to flood out the real stuff

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

its really weird to say beans are a meat substitute

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Wheeee posted:

so don’t eat that garbage

they're really good though. I don't like any of the fake hamburgers but veggie sausage is legit great. if they weren't priced insanely they could easily be the most popular meat substitute

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

They can certainly be used to expand it and save money, and there's a lot of people that you've got to frame it that way for them to give a black bean burger off the grill a try. I ain't happy about it either but it is how it is. A meat substitute is ultimately anything somebody eats instead of meat.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

DrBox posted:

There is a more serious thread outside of c-spam.

It's crazy how hard it is to get people to accept that fish aren't just scaly robots or swimming vegetables. They aren't as emotive and so harder to empathize with I guess.
Nice thanks. Apparently some fish might even recognize themselves in selfies. Not so sure about this study but if true it raises uncomfortable questions.

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN posted:

Reading Fast Food Nation in middle school was probably the first time I really started thinking about the disgusting conditions both animals and people are put through on a massive scale for cheap and unhealthy food. Took me a lot longer for to fully act on those thoughts as I gradually cut out specific meats out of my diet over the years (first pork, then beef and other red meats, then finally fish and chicken). Seeing a couple videos along the way definitely speed up that process
Might look this up. More recently the US meat-packing industry is an eager child-labor employer:

quote:

Food Safety Company Employed More Than 100 Children, Labor Officials Say
Packers Sanitation Services Inc. paid a $1.5 million penalty this week for employing children as young as 13 in dangerous jobs at meat-processing plants.

By Michael Levenson
Updated Feb. 20, 2023
One of the largest food sanitation companies in the United States illegally employed at least 102 children in dangerous jobs cleaning meatpacking and slaughtering plants, the Labor Department said on Friday.

The company, Packers Sanitation Services Inc., paid a $1.5 million penalty on Thursday, the department said, after an investigation found that children ages 13 to 17 had worked overnight shifts at 13 meat processing plants in eight states, mostly in the South and the Midwest.

The department said the children had used hazardous chemicals to clean processing equipment, including back saws, brisket saws and head splitters. Its investigators learned that at least three minors had been injured while working for the company, the department said.
The modern factory farm and meat processing industry is a nightmare for the animals and workers.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

BONGHITZ posted:

the people crave food that looks like sausage, therefore vegan sausage

Veganism would be more popular if there were more dick shaped foods imo

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

spacemang_spliff posted:

Veganism would be more popular if there were more dick shaped foods imo

Bananas, eggplant, cucumbers. We have all the dick shapes!

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

fried tofu ftw

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Srice posted:

I've known some pescatarians who call themselves vegetarian and frankly, they must be destroyed for their lies.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I like beans

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

this might seem like a shitpost but I'm genuinely curious where people draw the line in terms of what constitutes a breach of ethics for people who are vegan for secular moral reasons. Are there non-plant organisms that would have the same moral value for killing and eating that a plant would? I'm thinking about stuff like eg. mussels, the life of which is difficult for me to meaningfully value over say, a bean plant or something.

must stress that I'm not trying to own anyone here. I had an existential rack focus moment in the grocery store yesterday while staring at a live shellfish display.

personally i just don't eat things i think are cute. this would include mussels, which are cute, but which frankly i didn't eat even when i did eat seafood because i thought they were gross.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

this might seem like a shitpost but I'm genuinely curious where people draw the line in terms of what constitutes a breach of ethics for people who are vegan for secular moral reasons. Are there non-plant organisms that would have the same moral value for killing and eating that a plant would? I'm thinking about stuff like eg. mussels, the life of which is difficult for me to meaningfully value over say, a bean plant or something.

must stress that I'm not trying to own anyone here. I had an existential rack focus moment in the grocery store yesterday while staring at a live shellfish display.

It comes down to sentience and the capacity to suffer. Plants are not aware so they do not matter morally to me. Something like a sea sponge probably is the same although out of precaution I just leave all animals off the plate.

Edit: Mainly because we do not know how sentience comes to be. It's probably an emergent property some some arrangement of neurons or analogous structures but it's not like I can look at a fly or a mussel and say they are missing the 10 neurons it would take to develop some sort of awareness.

DrBox has issued a correction as of 20:29 on Mar 28, 2023

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009
https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article273127820.html

TL;DR: Psycho ranchers raid someone's house without a warrant to take a 9 year old's pet goat and turn it into BBQ for a senator.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

DrBox posted:

There is a more serious thread outside of c-spam.

Nocturtle posted:

Nice thanks.
Rescinding my thanks for pointing to that thread having read through it. You're very patient at least. My brain melted when people suggested converting natural areas to ethically operated farms as a means to prevent the suffering of wild animals. This topic draws the most deranged opinions.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

FacelessVoid posted:

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article273127820.html

TL;DR: Psycho ranchers raid someone's house without a warrant to take a 9 year old's pet goat and turn it into BBQ for a senator.

This is so hosed up.

Nocturtle posted:

Rescinding my thanks for pointing to that thread having read through it. You're very patient at least. My brain melted when people suggested converting natural areas to ethically operated farms as a means to prevent the suffering of wild animals. This topic draws the most deranged opinions.

I haven't read through the whole thing. The fringe arguments around Veganism get pretty crazy. People aren't just satisfied with it being about our relationship to animals and how we should not exploit them. All the sudden you have to field questions for whether we should exterminate carnivores or how you must be antinatalist. Can't I just be against exploitation and for leaving animals alone?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Nocturtle posted:

incredibly reddit rear end thread

what is the best bean?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wheeee posted:

what is the best bean?

y’all already know it’s the humble black bean

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Wheeee posted:

incredibly reddit rear end thread

what is the best bean?

Chickpeas, since they're so versatile. I love to cook dry chickpeas for a recipe and make enough extra to whip up some hummus too.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

human bean

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

american eating habits are really bad, unless you are a bodybuilder or something you should focus more on just eating right rather than hitting your macro's/micro's

This is from a while back, but this is a really good point. When I decided to stop worrying about macros and getting enough protein it was a relief and I just felt better. Those vegan powders are delicious though, I can't deny that.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Greg Legg posted:

This is from a while back, but this is a really good point. When I decided to stop worrying about macros and getting enough protein it was a relief and I just felt better. Those vegan powders are delicious though, I can't deny that.

People have been programmed to think of food in a very strange way. You do to a restaurant and there's a category labelled "protein" and see meat and beans. This simplistic view combined with the animal ag propaganda has given people a skewed view of how they should eat.

Trying to explain to people that all plants have all the essential amino acids in varying amounts is surprisingly difficult. The idea that, generally, if you're eating a varied diet and getting enough calories, you're getting enough protein is depressingly hard for people to accept. Don't even get me started on the "complete protein" conversation.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Is there any vegan food available to buy? Enslaved bees have pollinated 99.999% of the fruit and veg at the grocery store.

You are eating the work of slave labor.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

flies work for free. fig based diet.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Inside every fig there's a dead wasp :ssh:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Mamma Mia
Italy to ban lab-grown meat to protect heritage - BBC News

www.bbc.com posted:

Italy's right-wing government has backed a bill that would ban laboratory-produced meat and other synthetic foods, highlighting Italian food heritage and health protection.

If the proposals go through, breaking the ban would attract fines of up to €60,000 (£53,000).

Francesco Lollobrigida, who runs the rebranded ministry for agriculture and food sovereignty, spoke of the importance of Italy's food tradition.

The farmers' lobby praised the move.

But it was a blow for some animal welfare groups, which have highlighted lab-made meat as a solution to issues including protecting the environment from carbon emissions and food safety.

Coldiretti and other agriculture lobbies have collected half a million signatures in recent months calling for protection of "natural food vs synthetic food", and Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni is among those who have signed.

"We could only celebrate with our farmers a measure that puts our farmers in the vanguard, not just on the issue of defending excellence... but also in defending consumers," she told a "flash mob" organised by Coldiretti outside her office in Rome.

The proposed bill came hard on the heels of a series of government decrees banning the use of flour derived from insects such as crickets and locusts in pizza or pasta.

Ministers have cited Italy's prized Mediterranean diet as their motivation for both measures.

Mr Lollobrigida, who comes from the same far-right Brothers of Italy party as the prime minister said: "Laboratory products do not guarantee quality, well-being and the protection of the Italian food and wine culture and tradition, to which part of our tradition is linked."

The proposals, approved by ministers on Tuesday, seek to ban synthetic foods produced from animal cells without killing the animal, and would apply to lab-produced fish and synthetic milk too.

Last November, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) cleared cell-cultured chicken for human consumption after "careful evaluation". In 2020 Singapore gave regulatory approval for lab-grown chicken meat to be used in nuggets.
✂️

I am sympathetic to the general notion because it seems like a waste of time and resources to make frankenfood instead of phasing things out

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 22:03 on Apr 1, 2023

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Colonel Cancer posted:

Inside every fig there's a dead wasp :ssh:

the wasp knew what it signed up for

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen
aren't there way more than one

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

mawarannahr posted:

I am sympathetic to the general notion because it seems like a waste of time and resources to make frankenfood instead of phasing things out

That's assuming the phase out would ever happen without an easy substitution. Whole food plant based is available right now but there's no big push towards simply phasing out animal products.

Lab grown meat and precision fermentation will be the thing that stops animal ag, not because of individual conscious choice, but because of market forces. As soon as you can replace all burgers and nuggies with the same thing requiring less inputs and less cost, the food corps will switch and the choice will be made. There will be a vocal subset of people who call it frakenfood or unnatural but eventually they will look as silly as the people arguing against ice made through refrigeration.

I wish we didn't need this to move people away from animal products, but hopefully once they are no longer actively consuming corpses they will be more open to the vegan message.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

there’s a reason most vegan doctors and researchers explicitly do not call themselves vegan and instead talk about “whole food plant based”

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Regarding eating mussels and other bivalves, it always seemed plausible that they're similar to plants in terms of life experience and capacity for suffering. They're filter feeders that don't move anywhere and lack any obvious major neural structures, very plant-like. Based on all that, I wouldn't have thought mussels could make little tethered mucous lumps that resemble fish and flutter them around in the water to trick real fish into taking a bite. But apparently some mussels do exactly this!

That's not a real fish in the left, you can see this in action in this zefrank video starting here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2x8ts5STzY&t=530s
The whole video is interesting.

I'm not claiming bivalves are sentient or can suffer as I really don't know. However until watching that video I also didn't know mussels could these kinds of things that in some cases look like fairly sophisticated behavior. It's wild and IMO makes the comparison to plants a little more tenuous.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

So I'm vegan now and I came in here to post about it but then I saw this post:

Polybius91 posted:

I'm gonna drop something here that I found on another site:

And it touches on a lot of my thoughts going into the change.

In the end what I really needed was to completely lose faith in humanity. What held me back was a need to not feel like the vast majority of humanity just murders and exploits living beings for the lifestyle benefits. That it was just the rich or the powerful or whatever. I was ready to give up my treats no problem. That was never the issue. I just wasn't ready to face what that meant about the rest of humanity. And so I was clinging to the idea that it's not deeply immoral to eat animals in order to preserve my opinion of humanity. But that's gone. For various reasons. And then one day I was just thinking about hierarchies and divisions and the problems they cause and I was just like oh this is exactly the same way we justify eating meat. Human beings are just lovely like that. I kinda knew that before, but I didn't want to know that before.

My posts earlier in this thread are kinda weird looking at them now, but I can kinda see that I'm trying to get someone to deliver me the argument that would bring me across the line. Normally I argue things I genuinely believe in but here I was specifically putting things up for them to get knocked down. You can see in my early posts the notion that I have no problem with going vegan personally but I don't think it's a moral choice. That probably sounded insane or disingenuous to people but it makes sense in light of the specific block I had.

Being a leftist and thinking humanity is poo poo is kinda weird but the two can fit together in strange ways once you get used to it.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen

Nocturtle posted:

Regarding eating mussels and other bivalves, it always seemed plausible that they're similar to plants in terms of life experience and capacity for suffering. They're filter feeders that don't move anywhere and lack any obvious major neural structures, very plant-like. Based on all that, I wouldn't have thought mussels could make little tethered mucous lumps that resemble fish and flutter them around in the water to trick real fish into taking a bite. But apparently some mussels do exactly this!

That's not a real fish in the left, you can see this in action in this zefrank video starting here:

I'm not claiming bivalves are sentient or can suffer as I really don't know. However until watching that video I also didn't know mussels could these kinds of things that in some cases look like fairly sophisticated behavior. It's wild and IMO makes the comparison to plants a little more tenuous.

Plants do the same thing

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
when some bumblebees had a close call with jumping spiders in a recent experiment they showed symptoms of ptsbee

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Nocturtle posted:

this is very cool, the lure thing is wild

I've been trying to think about consciousness or at least the seat of subjectivity and capacity for suffering and how that should direct action. I think mussels, or fruit flies, or fungal ramets, etc. etc. might all have some sort of subjective experience and thus a capacity for suffering, but at some point it is either so attenuated or alien beyond my capacity that it's probably not worth worrying about.

I think it's good, as a guiding principle, to try to not be party to suffering as I understand it, to the extent I can, rather than out of a feeling of sanctity towards consciousness or animal dignity or spiritual accountability. I'll continue to taper off my meat consumption but I think probably at the end of the day going full vegan would only be useful in assuaging my feelings of guilt from participation in the system that supports meat consumption, from which I can't extract myself short of world revolution. No cows, chicken, pigs, (big?) fish seems a pretty reasonable standard in terms of stuff that seems like it has a capacity for suffering analogous to my own. But even that feels like I'm playing games with myself because the process that dictates the breeding and slaughtering of the pig occurs with or without my input, and that my choice to buy a bean over a pork chop is in service of a spiritual hygiene or something.

To bring it around to my very first post in this thread, I think the wall I'm hitting is the disconnect same between individual "political action" and mass class movements, in that the latter is the only one that's real for anything beyond making yourself feel a way. I don't think it's good for me to eat a cow but I can't tell you why in a way that I think makes meaningful sense.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

when some bumblebees had a close call with jumping spiders in a recent experiment they showed symptoms of ptsbee

maybe they should get cognitive beehiveral therapy

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Cuttlefush posted:

Plants do the same thing

Well now I feel bad about eating plants.

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

Nocturtle posted:

Well now I feel bad about eating plants.

they will eat you one day so it evens out

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
rear end in a top hat animal rights activists are doing a Keiko sequel with a geriatric orca they're dumping off in polluted water. gently caress every good intention that isn't good enough to know your poo poo first before you go slow-murdering a habituated whale because you feel so bad about how much we all sucked rear end toward it. Keiko, the whale who played free willy, died weeks after being returned to the ocean and was half the age. Lolita, the one being released for PR soon, has never even been transported before. Filthy loving god drat hippie poo poo head fucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
"well at least she will die free" I wish she had outlived the fuckers who will say this poo poo in a few weeks