Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

This is peak videogame movie and I kind of love it for that. I've got a fair amount of zombie fatigue and still ended up enjoying it a fair bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I thought I was going crazy when I noticed the fucken robot zombies. Netflix makes it hard to screenshot, but there was a fairly clear image of one at 1:55:20.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
this is the best RE movie
specifically RE5 mercenaries mode

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 21, 2021

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

This is basically Zack Snyder's Suicide Squad in the Resident Evil universe.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Great film. Not entirely convinced at the depth of field tinkering here, it got to the point that I was focusing on it too much (pun intended).

I loved the use of Wagner: it made me think of Excalibur, which is always a good thing.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

There's a lot of weird, awesome poo poo going on in this movie. Couple of random comments :

Down in the vault, around the same time as the time loop bit we get a booby-trapped hallway with treasure at the end of it, which recalls Raiders of the Lost Ark, but is there anything more to that than just a good gag with the (ridiculous) non-lethal, lethal, and very, very lethal traps?

Also there's kind of a Chekov's Gun with the saw, but it never actually gets used to slice up zombies in the third act. I guess you see it in action in the opening montage though, so maybe that counts?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Started watching, seems ok.
Haven't gotten to the actual big Vegas zombie action yet. Bautista is so cool, and surprise oldie song from Control Machete. Loved them when I was younger.

Snyder caught my interest.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
You know, after the last ten days "blockaded city is invaded and hit by airstrikes, puts up perfunctory resistance to armed military force" is hitting different.

Still looking forward to it though, some of these spoilers have it sounding a lot kookier than I expected.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

:siren:Reminder:siren:

I'm hosting a Dawn of the Dead/Army of the Dead double feature stream tonight in the CineD Discord:

Come experience Snyder's brand of zombie mayhem at 9PM central! For Army of the Dead, I will also be hosting a Scener room for those with Netflix. If you plan on joining the Discord stream, please remember to mute your mics :)

:getin:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Neurolimal posted:

Still looking forward to it though, some of these spoilers have it sounding a lot kookier than I expected.

It is honestly an extremely goofy movie most of the time.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It is honestly an extremely goofy movie most of the time.

I think it was a pretty good joke to have the black character almost be the only mercenary to survive the horror (The same person who earlier pontificates about the endless cycle of things).

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1395771374388531200?s=19

Heh

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

KVeezy3 posted:

I think it was a pretty good joke to have the black character almost be the only mercenary to survive the horror (The same person who earlier pontificates about the endless cycle of things).

That's zombie movie tradition.

Snyder really loves zombie babies for some reason. And elevator music gags in zombie movies.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Darko posted:

That's zombie movie tradition.
Thanks for highlighting my lack of zombie film knowledge! :|

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1395773057042567171?s=20

Cant say I agree with "no metaphor for society" but I'm glad he liked it

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Movie good.

Kazzah posted:

I thought I was going crazy when I noticed the fucken robot zombies. Netflix makes it hard to screenshot, but there was a fairly clear image of one at 1:55:20.

I am pretty sure that's the zombie from the opening scene that the military guys were transporting. Cyborg zombie soldier! Also the hints at aliens and the time loop.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Army of the Dead: painful, entertaining, snydering, zombie

Bears Guy
Aug 22, 2003

Yes, I actually do have stairs in my house.
Only been able to sneak peek into the first 5 minutes and am blown away. Need to wait for my family to fall asleep before I can continue. Any advice? Been thinking about Amobarbital.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Still watching but the Larry Fong billboard was really funny.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

This confirmed my suspicions: aside from ZSJL the only Snyder I even remotely like is Snyder doing zombie films

And that's okay because I loving love them both

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Darko posted:

This is basically Zack Snyder's Suicide Squad in the Resident Evil universe.

just realized the setup is very john carpenter too, specifically escape from series

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Nah nah this film is Aliens through and through.

They even repeat Ripley's line that these things don't gently caress each other over for money

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
This movie owns. Snyder is now the GOAT zombie movie director. So much good action in this. The intro scene with Viva Las Vegas was awesome and felt like a mini movie.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

KVeezy3 posted:

Thanks for highlighting my lack of zombie film knowledge! :|

Start with the original Night of the Living Dead, it's free to watch everywhere. You'll get it then. I'll spoil it and this below, but I'd rather you watch it.

Black guy coming out of the "cellar" at the end only to die was how this, Night and the Night remake all ended. Only he ended up being a zombie in the remake, heh.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Kojima of all people not getting some very obvious social commentary was not something I expected to see today.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Yeah this was fun

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

DrVenkman posted:

Kojima of all people not getting some very obvious social commentary was not something I expected to see today.

Common thread from critics is that it's just a dumb fun movie that isn't saying anything which is really weird since the zombies literally form a society.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Some thoughts

I liked that the president wanted to nuke Vegas on the 4th of july because "It would be really cool", and "totally american if you think about it". Not exactly subtle there. Also the way the "zombie camps" basically turned into concentration camps for immigrants and political dissidents was about as subtle as a sledgehammer, Polticising a plague would have felt way more satirical pre-covid than it does today though, that's for sure.

It's also funny how greed and selfishness hosed so many people over. The PMC guy hosed over everyone when he stole the Queens head, the german and the saw guy got hosed over when they went back for the money, the daughter hosed over her dad and the pilot by obssessively hunting for the mom who ended up dying anyway, the twitch dude got hosed over because he was carrying his weight in money, like they constantly overreach and end up getting karmically hosed for it.

The Zombies are minding their own business when these yahoos come in, break their rules and murder their pregnant queen. The zombies just wanna be left alone man. There's probably some interesting parallels there with how they're arguably coded as minorities and outcasts trying to carve out a space of their own only to be cruelly violated because an imperialistic force wants something they have.

It's also not afraid to get weird. The time loop discussion was out of the left field, and apparently there were some robot zombies there too, which is really funny. Some of the deaths were actually pretty shocking. Daves love interest getting Zod'd right in front of him was actually gruesome and a shocking twist :v:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

McCloud posted:

Some thoughts

I liked that the president wanted to nuke Vegas on the 4th of july because "It would be really cool", and "totally american if you think about it". Not exactly subtle there. Also the way the "zombie camps" basically turned into concentration camps for immigrants and political dissidents was about as subtle as a sledgehammer, Polticising a plague would have felt way more satirical pre-covid than it does today though, that's for sure.

It's also funny how greed and selfishness hosed so many people over. The PMC guy hosed over everyone when he stole the Queens head, the german and the saw guy got hosed over when they went back for the money, the daughter hosed over her dad and the pilot by obssessively hunting for the mom who ended up dying anyway, the twitch dude got hosed over because he was carrying his weight in money, like they constantly overreach and end up getting karmically hosed for it.

The Zombies are minding their own business when these yahoos come in, break their rules and murder their pregnant queen. The zombies just wanna be left alone man. There's probably some interesting parallels there with how they're arguably coded as minorities and outcasts trying to carve out a space of their own only to be cruelly violated because an imperialistic force wants something they have.

It's also not afraid to get weird. The time loop discussion was out of the left field, and apparently there were some robot zombies there too, which is really funny. Some of the deaths were actually pretty shocking. Daves love interest getting Zod'd right in front of him was actually gruesome and a shocking twist :v:

Don't forget the UFOs at the start of the film

edit:
Under these spoilers are two screenshots of weird things people have mentioned. Don't look unless you've seen the movie.

The UFOs from the start of the movie. It is more obvious in motion.
A robot zombie

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 21, 2021

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
Many years ago , when a game Called " Duke Nukem Forever " was resurrected from vaporware status and about to be released , there were hardcore DNF evanglists who swore this thing gonna be awesome and show everyone how a REAL MAN shooter looks and feel like . Then it came out, and the goal post moved from " its gonna be a masterpiece " to " it was always gonna be a basic oldschool meat and potatoes shooter " . Then, even the most hardcore admitted that it sucks .

My metaphors are as subtle as Snyder's , and Army of the Dead didnt even had the decency to be hilariously bad, instead settled into a long middling slog of by the number zombie tropes and cliched .
For all the hype... this is what we end up with ? And maybe snyder needs a strong studio to boss him around and force him to tight things up, because if Army Of was 40 minutes shorter it might have been decent . As it is its a long boring road to get to the somewhate entertaining but all too brief last 30 minutes .

Occasionally , Rarely , this movie gets as stupid and over the top as it needs to be, like when buff zombie go full Night King on his horse, but these moments are few and fleeting .

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

admataY posted:

Occasionally , Rarely , this movie gets as stupid and over the top as it needs to be, like when buff zombie go full Night King on his horse, but these moments are few and fleeting .

Loved that bit as well.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

admataY posted:

And maybe snyder needs a strong studio to boss him around and force him to tight things up, because if Army Of was 40 minutes shorter it might have been decent . As it is its a long boring road to get to the somewhate entertaining but all too brief last 30 minutes .

We don't have to keep it theoretical - there's a ton of theatrical vs director's cut of Zack Snyder films to wade through and assess.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I enjoyed this quite a bit. This is the zombie movie for the current moment just as Dawn 04 was the zombie movie for the immediate post 9/11 era.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Am I the only one who sees Zeus as The Nameless One

I'm not thinking it's a reference but... they just look very similar to me

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The title sequence was the best bit, certainly the only bit that felt it was in Las Vegas. The rest is a dull slog of clunking twists that are telegraphed in BIG LETTERS from miles away, a couple of painfully awkward character development scenes, nonsensical decisions on the part of both humans and zombies, all finished off with a nice tribute to the worst scene in the Indiana Jones movies

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when I read this thread. This movie was excruciatingly boring and predictable. It wasn't even that nice to look at!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

It's a bit poo poo that Sean Spicer picked up a cheque from this movie.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

SlimGoodbody posted:

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when I read this thread. This movie was excruciatingly boring and predictable. It wasn't even that nice to look at!

And the action scenes were incredibly pedestrian and boringly directed

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Necrothatcher posted:

It's a bit poo poo that Sean Spicer picked up a cheque from this movie.

https://twitter.com/VyceVictus/status/1395838544225112070?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

pfft, just cast someone that looks like him

what's the point of paying scum like him and helping him raise his media profile?