Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Blood Boils posted:

And am generally tired of zombie stuff

Same, which is why I hope the movie goes in an I Am Legend direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
You know, after the last ten days "blockaded city is invaded and hit by airstrikes, puts up perfunctory resistance to armed military force" is hitting different.

Still looking forward to it though, some of these spoilers have it sounding a lot kookier than I expected.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1395773057042567171?s=20

Cant say I agree with "no metaphor for society" but I'm glad he liked it

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Did anyone who saw this theatrically see any dead pixels?

https://twitter.com/Sgtzima/status/1395891264818663431?s=20

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Huh 60+ posts, wonder if the ratings are out or an inflammatory review or maybe the RLM video is out or

Oh it's about zombie horse vs helicopter. You already need some suspension to accept a zombie horse (fragile idiot beasts that fall apart on a dime) is galloping around in undeath, idk why you cant deal w/ it racing a damaged helicopter

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKQiJuXN07E

TLDR: Stoklasa hated it, Bauman didn't mind it but thought it was very derivative of Aliens. Neither liked the DoF (they likened it to a very high quality fan-film, where all the flaws & limitations are blurred out). If you missed the dead pixels they go into that.

Things in particular they liked; the opening Las Vegas catastrophe sequence, and the zombie triggering the booby traps. Bauman thinks the movie would have been better if Tig Notaro was the lead.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

[modern lamentation bellows]

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I mean, there is some merit in the idea that different actors will bring different performances, /energy/charisma/etc, and some actors might not gel with the script & initial directorial vision.

I cant imagine seeing Chris D'Elia as the lynchpin holding Army of the Dead together though. If anything Tig Notaro is pointed out as one of the highlights of the film, even by people critical of the film.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Could have been better, good on Snyder for wanting to experiment but clear gorgeous shots are what gets me through even the movies of his I dont particularly like, and ancient blurry lenses detract from that, personally.

As for the movie itself, IDK how fair I can be on it because it throws so many plot hooks and ideas and I'd have rather watched any of those than what we got, and "dont poo poo on a movie for not being a different movie that you wanted" is A Thing in CineD.

Government using robot drones to observe a burgeoning Zombie culture from afar? Aliens cooperating with the US government, unaware that they're making a bioweapon? A group of mercenaries discover that they've trapped themselves in a hellish time loop of death? Journey through a garish Vegas, recently vacated by a zombie invasion? I'd have been all the way onboard with all of those. As-is, it's a fairly standard Zombie movie with a fun beginning.

I'l be interested in the cartoon, I can lose the safecracker movie.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 26, 2021

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Snyder was on The Colbert Report yesterday, I dont think releasing an eh zombie movie has zapped his GP (goodwill points)

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Its Chocolate posted:

what was that like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqbgKQg915I

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Zack Snyder’s ‘Army Of The Dead’ Marching Toward Netflix’s 10 Most-Watched Movies List With 72M Households

Looks like Netflix has an audience for their cartoon & wacky german thief movie

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
FWIW, the kurosawa stuff AFAIK was a reverse backlash, where some critic tried to point to him as the progenitor of every director who dared exceed 100 minutes runtime with their films, it blew up in her face immediately.

Unless there was a second Kurosawa-related meltdown this week?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The Xenomorph is very blatantly a monster based around sexual violence. Its first film kill is via unwanted pregnancy! In a cut scene it forces the rest of the crew into child carriers! It's not exactly a coincidence that it was designed by H.R Giger, nor that a woman beats them in each of the main films.

I can absolutely buy that the captive ladies & Coyote scenes were intended to be sexually charged in the script; it saw 9 years of pre/production and the prior director was very upfront about them being 'rapey'. You don't have to read them that way but it's entirely valid, I feel.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 8, 2021