Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I haven't had Netflix in years, any good deals? I see their 4k plan is almost $20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

I loved how everyone on the team was competent. Even the "losers" ended up heroic and were able to hold their own until they were overwhelmed and couldn't.

Very much reminds me of early Carpenter and I caught a lot of references to his work, and the obvious homages to Cameron, etc. If you're a fan of Assault of Precinct 13 you'll like this.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Kind of wishing there were Predator-like smiling team member portraits during the end credits.

Feels like a couple superficial references to JL trilogy?

- Caped alien resurrected being with super speed and strength is protecting his kingdom and has his unborn baby killed, sending him into a rage
- Nerdy awkward white guy with unique skills needed to complete the story befriends stoic black guy who uses machinery as his weapon; he’s icy to him at start but they become besties and are willing to sacrifice themselves for each other by the end

Anything else? If he thought JL wasn’t ever coming out when he started production I could see him wanting to implement some of the ideas he thought were lost in that project.

Violator
May 15, 2003

It's always interesting to see what folks put of themselves in their movies. Like for The Rock, he basically inserted his Instagram feed as Hobbs in Hobbs & Shaw. For Snyder, I've noticed little things here and there: Bautista wears his glasses around his neck like Snyder does, Bruce Wayne drives Snyder's old fancy car in BvS that I can't remember the name of, etc. I'm sure there's a lot more little touches here and there.

In the opening montage, it was interesting that the military commander guy jumps on top of the tank and shoots the gunner as he begs for his life and then takes over the gun before opening his purple smoke marker. He couldn't just tell the gunner "shoot over there!" instead of killing him?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Spacebump posted:

Same, I feel like I must have missed something with how people have theorized on time loops.

The safe cracker and concrete saw guy discuss time loops when they find the assault team's bodies that look like them.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The gunner is not begging for his life, he's turned. He's doing the "reaching for your braaaaains" zombie arms.

:colbert:

On my second and third watch I paid close attention to make sure. Honestly, it doesn't really matter and just shows how desperate the situation was and how important the military guy thought it was for himself to survive to use the location marker.

Edit: Or the dude looks like 2004 era JBL and is a huge rear end in a top hat.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Snowman_McK posted:

though the absolutely spectacular destruction of the zombie by 50 cal rounds was a close second.

That was a super good shot and I do wish there was more violence like that just for the brutal grotesque visual of it. Same with the concrete saw.

Yeah, I would have thought the whole movie taking place during the Trump admin, Spicer talking about the people in border encampments being untrustworthy, and the nuke going off on the 4th of July because it would be patriotic would have gotten more of a conversation. :| Although I guess it's a grim reminder of the past four years and people just aren't up for digging into it, which I understand.

Violator
May 15, 2003

“My guy will go in with them, accomplish his mission, double cross and kill them all and walk out and present me with the head of my enemy so I can get richer” is a total Trump sending Jared in with the team of mercs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

Also LOL just realized “shadowy guy with government connections hires the best of the best extraction team to get something out of a danger zone but it turns out it’s a double cross for secret information instead and they were all expendable” is taken from Predator.