Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
This movie owns. Snyder is now the GOAT zombie movie director. So much good action in this. The intro scene with Viva Las Vegas was awesome and felt like a mini movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

McCloud posted:

Some thoughts

I liked that the president wanted to nuke Vegas on the 4th of july because "It would be really cool", and "totally american if you think about it". Not exactly subtle there. Also the way the "zombie camps" basically turned into concentration camps for immigrants and political dissidents was about as subtle as a sledgehammer, Polticising a plague would have felt way more satirical pre-covid than it does today though, that's for sure.

It's also funny how greed and selfishness hosed so many people over. The PMC guy hosed over everyone when he stole the Queens head, the german and the saw guy got hosed over when they went back for the money, the daughter hosed over her dad and the pilot by obssessively hunting for the mom who ended up dying anyway, the twitch dude got hosed over because he was carrying his weight in money, like they constantly overreach and end up getting karmically hosed for it.

The Zombies are minding their own business when these yahoos come in, break their rules and murder their pregnant queen. The zombies just wanna be left alone man. There's probably some interesting parallels there with how they're arguably coded as minorities and outcasts trying to carve out a space of their own only to be cruelly violated because an imperialistic force wants something they have.

It's also not afraid to get weird. The time loop discussion was out of the left field, and apparently there were some robot zombies there too, which is really funny. Some of the deaths were actually pretty shocking. Daves love interest getting Zod'd right in front of him was actually gruesome and a shocking twist :v:

Don't forget the UFOs at the start of the film

edit:
Under these spoilers are two screenshots of weird things people have mentioned. Don't look unless you've seen the movie.

The UFOs from the start of the movie. It is more obvious in motion.
A robot zombie

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 21, 2021

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

moths posted:

Thanks! Just rewatched those scenes and that was fun! It adds to the sense that there's a lot more going on. I read that there's a flying UFO too?

Rewatch the very first scene and focus on the sky area in the right side of the frame. It is easy to miss.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

If this is actually an alien nanobot story and not zombies, it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that Zeus is faster bc alien stuff

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Comrade Fakename posted:

So that’s two competent but workmanlike movies I’ve seen from Snyder in a row, this and the Snyder Cut Justice League. Frankly, if Disney would like a PR coup, they should hire him to make an MCU film, seems like it would be about his wheelhouse.

I wish Disney would replace the in-house MCU action scene directors with Snyder.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

josh04 posted:

Time loop theories aside, I took it that the business guy had used the vault money as bait for a number of different expeditions and they were expected to probably fail at getting to it, while providing cover for other goals.

Same, I feel like I must have missed something with how people have theorized on time loops.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Violator posted:

The safe cracker and concrete saw guy discuss time loops when they find the assault team's bodies that look like them.

I know that, I guess I just didn't get a good look at the bodies because I assumed they were just kind of nervously shooting the poo poo.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

teagone posted:

The movie straight up cuts to a shot of each character and back to a decomposing body wearing the same clothing lol.

STAC Goat posted:

The bodies are dressed and framed to hint that he might be onto something. But like, clearly its just a silly little easter egg like the "cyborgs" to get reactions and imaginations running. Or just for a laugh. If there's any seriousness to it it clearly wasn't presented as a meaningful part of the story at hand.

I must have been distracted for that shot, makes more sense now. Thank you.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

the point of not telling the truth is that the rest of the crew is bait to keep the zombies occupied while Martin gets the gently caress out with the helicopter. Presumably they’ve tried sending in a team of stone cold operators before, and they got loving eaten because they tried to just do a head on assault instead of sneaking in the side with assistance from a coyote who knows the rules. Furthermore: if they’d told the truth, then all it takes is one person jumping ship and posting poo poo to Facebook and suddenly the whole world knows that weaponizing zombies is an option on the table.

Couldn't the entire real plan be done with drones/remote controlled vehicles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I watched this again with a friend that hadn't seen it. In the scene where Martin is killed by the tiger. There is a very brief moment when the tiger's head turns that you can see a fainter version of the blue glow from the tiger eye that some of the other zombies have.