Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
This ruled. It is the best Aliens re-make of all time too.

Some might find the depth of field stuff Snyder is doing now annoying (it's also in the Joker scene in the SnyderCut), but I like it.

It's not exactly a shock, but I loved that basically everybody got hosed. Going to Vegas to make a big score is a bad idea even without the zombies. Of course the only person who made it out alive was the one who went in for non-selfish reasons. But it was a bit of a kick in the guts that Van got infected. Real Night of the Living Dead stuff there.

It is a very goofy movie, what with the hilarious presidential quotes, the robit zombies, aliens, time loop (those corpses did have their clothes/jewellery and Burke, uh I mean Martin, did say he had no idea about previous teams. Maybe he was lying, but it doesn't come up again so maybe he wasn't and they are the only team, doomed to repeat their failures over and over...) zombie king. zombie horse, zombaby but it was also very sincere and everybody plays it straight. There's no winking at the camera. I love it.

It meant that the end of the film actually hit me a bit hard, even though it is a very goofy movie. Snyder takes the most ridiculous things seriously and his movies are better for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Comrade Fakename posted:

So the story is classic Heart of Darkness. A group of people go on a quest of dubious virtue deep into foreign territory (it’s literally not America any more) and encounter a soldier who’s “gone native”. It’s a decent conceit, but Snyder doesn’t really do anything with it. The fact that the zombies are smart isn’t a discovery or twist, it’s just bluntly explained once the team enter Zombie Vegas (information that no one bothered mentioning until they were already surrounded). There’s no real zombie culture explored - all we know about the zombies is that they stand around an old swimming pool and are sad when their pregnant girlfriend gets killed. Someone earlier in the thread said they were intrigued because they didn’t know what the zombies were up to - well, it turned out their plan was to run at the humans and try to eat them. What a mould-breaker.

While it has superficial Heart of Darkness stuff, the movie is much more Aliens. They copy the story structure to a T, subbing in zombies for the xenos, Martin for Burke, mercs for marines. The coyote quotes Ripley, the mexican stand off she has is like Ripley's stand off with the queen, visually Chambers is Vasquez, both Geeta and Kate are Newt etc.

It's not really Heart of Darkness, because Batista doesn't really follow the same character arc. But he is like Ripley.

About the time loop stuff, I thought it was a metaphor for people rewatching the film on streaming. No matter what, the events will be same. They are doomed to their fates.

And as a Snyder stan, I would also put this roughly in the middle of his works, around where I think Dawn of the Dead and Sucker Punch lie. I put Man of Steel as his best actually.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
People should feel about Batista the way Xavier Woods feels about his theme music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1B-DlTRgBM

Bit of a pity the Animal didn't powerbomb any zombies in this one, maybe next time.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The thing Coyote mentioned about the shamblers coming back to life when it rained was interesting and I was disappointed nothing was done with it. It seemed like the most obvious and potentially entertaining manner to have a horde (or army if you will) gently caress up any survivors.

This was the biggest missed opportunity.

About the heli carrying the money, assuming the money was all $100 bills, which weigh 1 gram, $200,000,000 weighs 2000 kgs, or 4400 pounds roughly, not counting the bands on them, the bags they are in or the people on the heli.

According to google, light utility helis can lift up to 4000 pounds, depending on make etc.

Given the weight of the people and equipment etc, they couldn't have carried all the money, assuming the heli wasn't some special cargo type, but they could have gotten a fair chunk of it.

$150,000,000 maybe if enough people are dead by the time they board.

Why am I doing realism checks on the ufo zombie tiger baby movie?