Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

AccountSupervisor posted:

Its a brand Omari got in a frat and has nothing to do with Snyder. Its just a coincidence.

Coincidence or serendipity? It’s in the film, and fairly prominent. Snyder has always been very strong on casting as characterization

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

TychoCelchuuu posted:

And the movie doesn't then have the alien leave Ripley alone, alive and unbitten, despite having killed or bitten every other human it has met, whereas that's what Zeus did.

Wait isn’t that exactly what it does in that scene

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Again, it’s good not to get caught up in franchise thinking. You don’t need to show the dried zombies getting rehydrated, when it’s just a lead-up to the hibernating zombies that appear shortly afterwards.

The overall point is that the ‘traditional zombies’ are no longer an issue because they don’t have, like, goals. After the last humans left, they literally just stood outside, baking in the sun, for like five years.

“ He's telling me he'll never bake bread, farm crops, raise livestock. He's telling me he's futureless. And eventually he'll tell me how long the infected take to starve to death.”

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Judakel posted:

Then don't omit counterpoints. I am not surprised you think it "only benefits me", because I am certain you have no real point to make beyond ad hominems. And yes, we're doing this. Tribe has an anthropological meaning and it isn't my fault that you're too much of a dunce to know that. Now, anthropology certainly has ethical issues to contend with, but one of them is not the fact they use the word "tribe" to describe a certain societal structure.

No we really don’t, the term “tribe” is broadly considered both analytically vague and terminologically outdated, in large part because of its colonialist connotations and its use in legal settings to refer to something totally different than the cultural evolution concept. I don’t see anything in the film to indicate the zombies have a social structure that would correspond to a traditional elman service esque tribal concept anyway

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Judakel posted:

The term tribe is still used in anthropology and taught in anthropology classes to this day.

I did a quick and informal check of some of my colleagues who teach anth101 or similar courses (I asked in a group chat). None of them teach this term except in an historiographic sense, explaining the changes in thought on cultural evolution. I’d be interested in when/where you’re seeing classes that are still teaching band/tribe/chiefdom/state as a model

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Judakel posted:

A quick google search reveals multiple links to multiple universities using it on their course sites and excerpts from slides used in courses.

Lmao ok. I got this whole drat doctorate and I can’t even big boy a know it all on the internet, what was it all for

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Ghosthotel posted:

Lmao idiot you got a doctorate when you could’ve just done a quick google search

Could have saved myself a lot of time, huge mistake in retrospect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

josh04 posted:

This is a very commonly held opinion among PhDs, don't worry.

Oh I know. Fortunately I’m also a masochist