Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
are the US male gymnasts as dominant as the ladies? I never hear about them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 14 hours!)

indigi posted:

men play softball??

not at the olympics. softball is the designated replacement for baseball because girls can't play baseball apparently

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Peanut President posted:

not at the olympics. softball is the designated replacement for baseball because girls can't play baseball apparently

Isn't softball a thing because people decided that girls throwing overhand was bad for them somehow?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Isn't softball a thing because people decided that girls throwing overhand was bad for them somehow?

gently caress if i know. all i know is that women played baseball in a pro league during ww2 but then at some point everyone decided 90 feet is too far for a girl to run or whatever :biotruths: poo poo they came up with

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Peanut President posted:

gently caress if i know. all i know is that women played baseball in a pro league during ww2 but then at some point everyone decided 90 feet is too far for a girl to run or whatever :biotruths: poo poo they came up with

Yeah they made a move about the team Madonna and Rosie O'Donnell played for

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Peanut President posted:

until 1993, girls in iowa played six-on-six basketball. the game kept players on one half of the court based on position, which minimized running. it was fuckin weird

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six-on-six_basketball

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

What the gently caress, that's basically netball.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Peanut President posted:

i asked a search engine and

quote:

The distance between the pitching mound and home plate is smaller, too. So not only do women work with a smaller field, they use the oversized ball as well. The reasoning behind both items is that women have smaller hands and don't have the power necessary to throw the ball as efficiently on a baseball-sized field.

thats really dumb who the gently caress cares how efficiently anyone throws a baseball

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

I'm so glad that women's hockey is in the winter olympics instead of some dumb bullshit like ringette.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/ralphDrussoAP/status/1417965273844432900

i stopped following college football a decade ago when this ridiculous trend started

it remains unclear to me how its actually to anyones advantage to jump to a different conference

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/rodger/status/1417887948893216774

so if im understanding this correctly literally no one in the entire country could be watching football and it would be no big deal that fans shouldnt worry about because tv contracts are signed years in advance

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Peanut President posted:

they thought their vaginas would fall our or something

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

how were they measuring any of this were they taking sweaty jerseys and weighing them to see which sports produced the most perspiration

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Some Guy TT posted:

i asked a search engine and

thats really dumb who the gently caress cares how efficiently anyone throws a baseball

baseball teams, generally

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

actually anything wed describe as efficiency in regards to modern baseball is a fairly recent development moneyball completely revolutionized the sport and improved speed detection technology only really became a thing in the eighties before then no one really paid that much attention the exact numbers attached to baseball actions just their outcomes

the whole softball is baseball for girls thing seems to date from the seventies entirely as a response to title ix and schools just arbitrarily deciding that girls cant play baseball because its too manly so they have to play a similar sport instead

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/CrossFitGames/status/1417579852752957442

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

god crossfit is so stupid lol

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

they thought their vaginas would fall our or something

Women's marathon was only added to the olympics in 1984, and up to 1980 the longest track and field race for women was the 1500 meters. For reasons not too distant from what you jokingly say here.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

https://twitter.com/ralphDrussoAP/status/1417965273844432900

i stopped following college football a decade ago when this ridiculous trend started

it remains unclear to me how its actually to anyones advantage to jump to a different conference

thats good actually if they leave gently caress the Big12

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Peanut President posted:

There's a dollop episode where they look at a lady baseball pitcher who struck out Babe Ruth, who would go on to deny that it happened up to his dying day.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Forceholy posted:

There's a dollop episode where they look at a lady baseball pitcher who struck out Babe Ruth, who would go on to deny that it happened up to his dying day.

thats loving hilarious.

in my searches I actually found that the WBSC, who organizes baseball and softball for the olympics, HAS A WOMEN'S BASEBALL WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

there should probably be some lady delivers by this point but idk if they could hold up as a starter for a whole season, at least not until theres some institutional changes to develop women pitchers from a young age. maybe they could be like Jamie Moyer, my favorite pitcher. can women throw heat?

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

joepinetree posted:

Women's marathon was only added to the olympics in 1984, and up to 1980 the longest track and field race for women was the 1500 meters. For reasons not too distant from what you jokingly say here.

this will be the first Olympics where the men's 800m freestyle and women's 1500m freestyle will be contested in swimming. the women weren't allowed to swim the 1500m freestyle because it was "too long for them". then they added in the open water 5K and 10K for both and the difference between genders made zero sense to keep up. still took the Olympics a while to adjust accordingly.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/TheAthletic/status/1418306297863163906

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEg3uNqsTYQ

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/JonLemire/status/1418567909643804674

what are they guarding

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Some Guy TT posted:

what are they guarding
Traffic

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
to steal a joke from SAS: definitely not the basepaths

https://twitter.com/RaysBaseball/status/1418717484971134982

A Gin Palace
Feb 12, 2013
hi so i do a sport. its called fencing and its really fun and cool and oh would u look at that its on tv for the olympics right now!!! wow!!!!!!!11111

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I had a friend who did fencing at the olympics as part of the Modern Pentathlon

A Gin Palace
Feb 12, 2013

indigi posted:

I had a friend who did fencing at the olympics as part of the Modern Pentathlon

oh neat! modern pentathlon is really interesting to me as a fencer

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

didn't some fencer get screwed out of the gold at the olympics because the timekeeper (who turned out to be a highschooler) forgot to start the clock?

A Gin Palace
Feb 12, 2013

is pepsi ok posted:

didn't some fencer get screwed out of the gold at the olympics because the timekeeper (who turned out to be a highschooler) forgot to start the clock?

i don't know about this but it's a good reason to fence sabre, we don't have timekeepers lol

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

is pepsi ok posted:

youre referring to shim a lam and the issue wasnt that the timekeeper forgot to restart the clock it was that she restarted the clock wrong and also the clocks used in international fencing at the time were very stupid because they couldnt display fractions of a second this was also in the semifinals not the finals for her event

i have no idea if they ever fixed the clocks apparently the reason why the international fencing federation required the use of lovely clocks was because not everyone could afford good ones

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

A Gin Palace posted:

oh neat! modern pentathlon is really interesting to me as a fencer

I think the laser guns are really cool

A Gin Palace
Feb 12, 2013

Some Guy TT posted:

apparently the reason why the international fencing federation required the use of lovely clocks was because not everyone could afford good ones

As someone involved in running a college fencing club this is not as stupid a move as it sounds, fencing equipment is ridiculously overpriced and there's a very large amount of background maintenance you have to do -- which can run up costs quickly. Blades break, lames go dead, even strips stop working. At lower levels, lots of club equipment is jury-rigged and homemade. Of course, fencing isn't very popular in my area -- maybe things are a little better if you live in Italy or Hungary. At a super high-level event, though, lovely clocks would be apocalyptic for epee fencers, who often try to win off of time remaining rather than getting to 15 points.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

do they have dual wield fencing events

A Gin Palace
Feb 12, 2013

indigi posted:

do they have dual wield fencing events

one time a guy walked into my club with two kopeshes (ancient egyptian sword, no one knows how they were actually used which is extra funny considering this guy claimed to be a historical fencing expert) and demanded to duel our best fencers using them. he said if he won then all our freshmen would have to leave and join him in making a historical fencing club. (historical fencing people are notoriously elitist and poo poo all over olympic fencing bc it's not "real swordfighting". i think they're a bunch of idiot loving nerds lol) our then-club president, in a move which shocked everyone (lol) said "no gently caress off"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

which subforum does he moderate?