Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E

EclecticTastes posted:

This is also, I assume, why the original title was kept. It seems clear to me that one of the design goals (though not necessarily explicit) was including as much as they could from the original image in some way. Also I just looked it up and apparently the team actually got in touch with Raita and he was apparently pleased with the result.

He said as much. WARNING: the rest of the page is full of boobs.

E: what a way to begin the second page :negative:

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Really interested in this so far. I read this during the last couple of months of my senior year of high school, and was a poo poo head right-wing 4chan type who was planning on going and majoring in economics. This vn(the first I read, seems like a common trend) really made me think about a lot of stuff I'd never considered before, like how able ism was just a normal thing for me and the people at my school.

As goofy as it sounds I do credit it with helping me be a better person.

Anyways long story so I'll skip the rest but I ended up majoring in social work instead lol

Emi was I think the second route I did, and I still remember most of it 9 years later. Thanks for doing this LP

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Going to keep my eye on this. I recall reading about this game when it came out, but was never interested in playing because visual novels just aren't for me. Also interested to see where the game takes the perspective on disabilities. I'm autistic, and what the protagonist thinks in the first post is pretty much how I thought about autism at first (and still kind of do, but I'm not delving into that now)

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Update 3: In the Nursery

(Silence)

Without knowing what else to do, I follow Misha, who is beckoning me into the hallway and down the stairs. We descend even below the lobby where I met Mutou, down to the bottom floor.

(Sounds of conversation)

Just like everything in this school, the cafeteria seems too spacious and oddly modern in contrast to the classic exterior. Its big windows open to the courtyard, towards the main gate.

Katawa Shoujo OST – Ease (sounds of conversation continue)

MISHA: “It’s the cafeteria~!”

Her enthusiastic statement of the obvious makes people around us stare, but Misha doesn't seem to care so we proceed to the line. There is a rather long list of menu options, which seems great until I realize that many of them are to accommodate students who need special diets. How nice. It almost feels like I'm back at the hospital, eating portions measured with scientific precision to meet the needs of the patients. I pick something at random and follow Shizune to a table, sitting opposite of her. As I nibble indifferently at the food I'd rather not eat, Misha pokes me in the side to get my attention and points to Shizune.

SHIZUNE: "..."

I don't understand sign, so the point escapes me. Maybe looking at a person who 'talks' to you is proper and polite?

MISHA: "Do you want to know something?"

HISAO: "What?"

MISHA: "About anything! We're your guides so you should ask if there is something~!"

HISAO: "Hmm, I wonder..."

HISAO: "Hmm, I wonder..."
>I think I got everything I need to know.
>Ask about the library.
>Ask about Shizune’s deafness.

:eng101: Anyone who’s spent time with visual novels is probably familiar with the concept of flags: as you progress through the game, it records and quantifies the various choices you make to determine which route to send you down. In KS, almost every choice gives you the opportunity to gain or lose flags in one or more routes, but which choices manipulate which flags is rarely obvious; even the people who put together walkthroughs for this game sometimes fill in their plot diagrams with question marks. I won’t be going too deep into the mechanics behind various choices unless I’m demonstrating something. :eng101:

=>Ask about the library.

HISAO: "Oh, yeah. Is there a library in the school? Lately I've gotten into reading a lot so I'd like to check it out."

Misha gives the kind of frown that makes it clear she doesn't consider reading a healthy hobby, but then picks up her smile again.

MISHA: "There is~! It's in the second floor, we can show it to you sometime!"

HISAO: "Thanks."

I return to my food while the girls talk between themselves.

>Ask about Shizune’s deafness.

Shizune intrigues me, and I kind of want to ask something about her. But I can't really ask about something that personal, can I? Hmm... I can't come up with anything else to ask so I just focus on my food while the girls talk between themselves.

:eng101: … Asking about a person’s disabilities is always a complicated subject. All options have checkboxes next to them to tell you if you selected them previously; the third option didn’t have a check because I’ve never clicked it before, in all my playthroughs. Some people are ashamed of them, some people embrace them, some people take a casual approach, some people really wish strangers would acknowledge them so they don’t have to dance around them in conversation, you really don’t know unless you already know the person. I find a lot of us are pretty open about them if inquirers are respectful and listen to us, but that’s hardly universal. I can’t blame him for freezing up. :eng101:

Misha and Shizune sign back and forth very animatedly, throwing sideway glances at me but Misha refrains from translating. Maybe they are talking about secret girl stuff or something.

... I quickly notice a conversation in sign is not enough to fill a silence.

:eng101: The only option that doesn’t lead to you exiting the loop here is the library one.

(Sounds of conversation stop)

Katawa Shoujo OST – Daylight

We arrive in the classroom early, but we're not the first.

The dark-haired girl I noticed before is slumped over her desk at the last row.

She jumps a little when Misha crashes into the room with the elegance of a rhino. She shrinks deeper into her seat. I can feel her tension all the way from here, as if she were slowly turning into stone just from our presence. Misha and Shizune either don't notice or don't mind it, as they walk directly past her to their seats and begin to converse. I'm left wondering about her, even when the classroom slowly fills with other students and finally, the teacher.

Getting into the rhythm of school feels strange; it's as if my brain remembers how this is done, but my body doesn't. Towards the end of the class I start yawning and counting the minutes left. I shouldn't be this tired on my first day of school. Maybe it's the long time spent in the hospital that made me like this. I'm even feeling physically weak and lifeless.

Before long, the final bell rings. School is finally over for the day. Beside me, Misha and Shizune are having a short conversation. After a bit of deliberation, Misha turns to me.

MISHA: "Unfortunately we can't stay and show you around today, Hicchan. We've got to hurry already, since there is a lot of work for us to do."

SHIZUNE: "…"

MISHA: "You'll find your way around here, I'm sure of it."

HISAO: "Ah, wait! The teacher said I'd have to see the nurse. Where do I have to go?"

MISHA: "Is that so? We can at least show you that much~! Come on, the nurses have their own building, so we have to go outside."

We join the flow of students making their way down the stairwell and outside, with the girls pointing out other senior classrooms in the same hallway as ours. When we get outside, the girls make their way to the smaller building right next to the school. It's built in the same style, so it looks like it's actually a part of the main building.

SHIZUNE: "…"

MISHA: "This is the auxiliary building here. There's a lot of official and important stuff inside, like the Yamaku Foundation office and all the nurses' offices. They even have a swimming pool!"

HISAO: "How is that official?"

MISHA: "Don't be silly, Hicchan! It's for physical therapy of course. Anyway, all the nursing staff facilities are in there too. The head nurse's office is on the first floor. You'll be fine from here, right~? We'll be going, then! See you tomorrow!"

HISAO: "Yeah, thanks. Bye."

(SILENCE)

A whole building for stuff that has nothing to do with the actual education? I guess it's necessary for a place like this.

I walk in, hoping that this really will be only a quick visit like the teacher said. On a white door on the left is a green cross with the text 'Head Nurse' and a nameplate. A voice from the inside responds to my knock almost immediately, but I can't quite make it out. It sounded a bit like an invitation to open the door, so I invite myself further in.

The room is not large and it smells strange. A friendly-looking man turns around on his office chair to face me as I enter. His desk is neat and tidy, but the bin under the table is overflowing with used medical utensils and there are at least a dozen coffee-cup rings lingering on the desk.

Katawa Shoujo OST - Ah Eh I Oh You :sax:

NURSE: “Hello there. What can I do for you today?”

He is young-looking and sort of rugged, but the dimples in his cheeks wash that impression away when he smiles.

HISAO: "Erm, are you the nurse?"

He smiles like a person who has heard this very same question hundreds of times.

NURSE: "Why yes, I am. It says so on the door, no? You can call me by my name or just 'the nurse' like everyone else."

Of course. I shake off my confusion, realizing I probably should grab his extended hand. His handshake is rather firm and friendly.

HISAO: "Right... err, I'm a new student and my homeroom teacher told me to come and meet you. My name is Hisao Nakai."

His eyes light up with revelation and he snaps his fingers.

NURSE: "Oh you're THAT Nakai. I was just reading your file in the morning. Some kind of chronic arrhythmia and related congenital heart muscle deficiency, right?"

He gestures me to sit down in a vacant armchair in front of his desk.

HISAO: "Eh, yes."

NURSE: "Good. Well, you've probably been briefed about the school enough, so I'll just go over this quickly. We have all kinds of facilities available, mostly physical therapy and such. There's always someone from my staff around, even at night, so never hesitate to call us if there is a problem."

The famous twenty-four-hour nursing staff.

HISAO: "Wow, this is like a hospital."

NURSE: "Well, not exactly. For instance, we don't do brain surgery here."

His joke feels so out of place I’m left thinking why he even said it.

HISAO: "Yeah... just that it's really weird to have so many medical people at a school."

NURSE: "You'll get used to it."

I'm not so sure of that myself but I don't let the nurse know it.

NURSE: "Now, let me just find your file again..."

While he searches for something from his computer and shuffles stacks of papers around, I let my gaze wander around the room. It's the epitome of generic, I'd like to say. Beige walls and ceiling, dark gray laminate flooring, and all the equipment you'd expect from a school nurse's office. Even the ridiculous educational posters are hanging on all four walls, reminding me to eat properly - three times a day and from all the food groups. Smiling, the nurse draws a thick file from a stack of similarly thick files and opens it.

NURSE: "So, you already have medication for the arrhythmia, just remember to take your pills every morning and evening or it won't be much help. Apart from that... do you do any sports? Rash stuff like... I don't know, boxing?"

He grins to his own joke but I don't.

HISAO: "Eh, well. I played soccer occasionally with some classmates."

NURSE: "All right, I'm afraid I'm going to have to recommend you refrain from doing that. At least, for the time being."

HISAO: "Oh."

My lack of reaction makes him raise an eyebrow, but really, I'm not too bothered by him forbidding me to kick a ball around. I guess I never did it out of burning passion for the sport. Just to have something to do.

NURSE: "Any kind of concussion might be very dangerous to your heart and risking another attack is not a good idea. Was the previous one caused by a sudden concussion to the chest area? There is no mention of the cause in your papers."

HISAO: "Err... not exactly."

I sidestep the question acceptably, and he glances at me over his papers, with a more serious expression on his face.

NURSE: "Still, you need to keep your body healthy so some exercise would do you good. We have physical therapy and such available as I said, but I don't think you really need such heavy measures.”

NURSE: “Just some light exercise regularly. Swimming, maybe? There's a pool here."

HISAO: "So I was told."

NURSE: "You were? Very good. At any rate, and I'm sure you've been told this before, you just need to take care not to overexert yourself."

He wags his finger to emphasize the point. No need really, I've heard this a thousand times already.

NURSE: "Absolutely no unnecessary risks. Take care of yourself."

HISAO: "Okay."

He goes over my papers one more time and sets them on the desk, obviously content.

NURSE: "Good. That's it, then. Come meet me if you ever need something."

I'm ushered out before I even realize it. A quick visit, indeed.

:eng101: A quick note about format: visual novels being visual novels, it’s pretty easy for me to change up how frequently I use screenshots instead of raw text. Sometimes I feel more screenshots break up the text, making it easier to read; sometimes I feel they just break the flow and cause eyestrain as you switch between differently sized and colored fonts. How many pictures would you prefer? :eng101:

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 16, 2021

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Screenshots, in this sort of LP, are good for showing off important expression changes, lines of dialogue. or changes in location. I personally don't mind some more, but this seems like a good level so far?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Falconier111 posted:

"Oh you're THAT Nakai. I was just reading your file in the morning. Some kind of chronic arrhythmia and related congenital heart muscle deficiency, right?"
Oh hey my nurse training was worth it

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
The more text the better, at least for me reading on mobile. Or anyone with a screenreader!

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Decoy Badger posted:

The more text the better, at least for me reading on mobile. Or anyone with a screenreader!

How many people here are using screenreaders? I should be captioning these images for accessibility purposes, but, since I’d have to type the lines manually and that would play havok with my arms, I’ve been avoiding it. If there’re people who’d prefer that (or just me restating the text in the images below them) then I can work something out.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
The whole script/game assets are on the wiki, aren't they? I thought you were copy pasting all the scene text from that. If you're transcribing everything I could see how onerous that would be.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

curiousCat posted:

Screenshots, in this sort of LP, are good for showing off important expression changes, lines of dialogue. or changes in location. I personally don't mind some more, but this seems like a good level so far?
I agree, the current balance seems good to me.

There's a bit of a strange disconnect between text and graphics in how Hisao doesn't seem to notice Hanako's burn scars when they're so plainly obvious in the character art.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Decoy Badger posted:

The whole script/game assets are on the wiki, aren't they? I thought you were copy pasting all the scene text from that. If you're transcribing everything I could see how onerous that would be.

Nope, copying and pasting. I had to transcribe everything for my last LP which was :negative:, but this time I’m prepared. That’s why I suggested including the text in the images under them as an accessibility measure; that’s just another couple lines to copy.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Update 4: Nobody’s Room

:eng101: Looking back, it’s kind of embarrassing I didn’t include anything to accommodate screenreaders up to this point in an LP about disability :negative:. From now on, I’ll follow every picture with the text it contains to alleviate that; please let me know if that improves the experience. :eng101:

Katawa Shoujo OST – Stride

I end up standing in front of the main building and the auxiliary building, although to my eyes, they still look one and the same. It's the first real look I get at the other students, so I watch people coming out of the school, going towards the gate or the dorms. Everyone seems to know where they are going. And I still keep thinking that most of them don't look too special for being students at a special school. Then again, neither do I. Does that make me one of them? One of us?

I should go somewhere too, to prevent me from getting lost. It's around dinnertime, but I feel tired instead of hungry. The weariness in me only grows as I trudge towards the dorms, set a little way apart from the main building complex.

There is a garden of sorts between the school and the dorms; shrubbery, flowers and that overbearing smell of fresh cut grass that fills the atmosphere. It dawns on my tired mind that the smell feels novel because I haven't been outside at all for so long.

The dorm building is big and made of red brick. Like the others, it feels way too pompous for what it is, so I push forward, going inside. It takes more time than necessary to fish out the key I was given from my pocket.

HISAO: "Room one-one-nine..."

Despite the ornate exterior, the inside of the dorm is fairly new, functional, and boring. Just like in the main building, the halls and doors are wide to accommodate wheelchairs. The same goes for the elevators at the ends of the hallways. I poke my head around the corner of the common room door. Inside a few students are watching the television. One nods and gives a quick 'hello' before turning back to the TV. Seems that only the girls around here are sociable. I suppose that's perfectly fine with me. I climb the stairs to the upper floor.

Here, small corridors branch off from the main hallway. Each of these minor halls seems to have a toilet and shower, as well as four rooms. About halfway down the hall, I spy room 119. The name plates on the rooms adjacent to mine are blank. I guess there are just two of us here. Light shines from below the door of room 117, so I knock lightly.

HISAO: "Hello, is anyone home?"

From inside, I hear a few movements, then the clicking of way more locks than I thought these doors had. After a moment the door squeaks open.

Katawa Shoujo OST - Out of the Loop (Kenji's Theme)

A bespectacled boy is standing in the doorway. He is looking at me very intently through his extremely thick eyeglasses.

KENJI: "Who is it?"

Blind? No, at least not completely, why would he have eyeglasses if he was?

He leans closer to me until our noses are almost touching. His breath stinks of garlic.

HISAO: "Hisao Nakai... I'm moving into the next room. I thought I should introduce my..."

His face suddenly brightens in realization, and he stands back upright, thrusting his hand out in a smiling greeting, almost straight to my diaphragm.

KENJI: "Oh, 'sup dude? The name's Kenji."

HISAO: "Ah, hi."

I take Kenji's sweaty hand and shake it, still a little rattled by the sudden change of attitude and vehement welcome.

KENJI: "There were some suspicious-looking people going in and out of your room earlier."

HISAO: "It was probably my parents."

KENJI: "Your parents? You sure? 'Cause they could've been some other people, too. You can't judge a book by its cover."

His out-of-place proverb is left hanging between us awkwardly as I try to think of some way to respond.

HISAO: "I'd say the chances are high enough."

He shudders and makes some exaggerated hand gestures.

KENJI: "You're a brave man, Hisao. Me, I don't think I could trust the chances. The only one I trust is myself."

HISAO: "Does that mean I shouldn't get to know you, either?"

He thinks about this for a while.

KENJI: "A wise decision.”

KENJI: "drat, you are smarter than you look. Probably. What do you look like? I hope not smart."

He squints his eyes and leans closer again, but I lean backwards to dodge it.

KENJI: "Never mind, it doesn't matter."

With that, he turns, fumbles around for a moment in search of the door handle and shuts the door behind him. I slide the key into the lock of the door marked 119.

:eng101: Talk about characters that hit differently now. We don’t have any insight into Kenji’s particular thought processes yet, so we can’t really talk about what his deal is, but… Let’s just say contexts change over time. :eng101:

Katawa Shoujo OST – Nocturne

Bleak beige walls, white linen, a desk made of some type of light wood. Ugly curtains. It's no one's room; impersonal, like my hospital room was. My bags are sitting at the foot of my bed, looking a lot emptier than they did this morning. The closet is sitting open, stocked with my clothes. Also, it seems that there are a number of school uniforms hanging there as well. A note is pinned to the sleeve of one of the shirts.

note posted:

Hi Hicchan. We've unpacked your things and made your bed. They said that if these don't fit then you should go to the office tomorrow. If you have any problems, you can always call us.
Love, Mom and Dad

Well, at least I don't have to worry about unpacking. I kind of hoped I would have, then there would be something to do. It's still too early. I put the note down on the desktop and lie down on the bed, feeling drained. Lying there makes me want to read something, but I have nothing with me. I wonder if the hospital conditioned me for wanting to read whenever I have nothing to do. The restless urge just keeps growing until I have to stand up. Maybe it's stress or something. I was pretty nervous about it before coming and for the entire day today too. I still am, I think. drat, I have to distract myself somehow, so I won't be this unnatural all the time. Tomorrow, I'll go borrow some books from the library. Yeah, I'll do that. But for now... The bottles of medications neatly arranged on my night table catch my eye. I pick up one and shake it just to hear the contents rattle inside, and then read the glued-on pharmacy label.

prescription posted:

Hisao Nakai

Two tablets daily to stay alive

It doesn't really say that, but it could just as well. It's kinda twisted, having your life depend on chemicals like this. I resent it a little, but what choice do I have? With a sigh, I begin my new daily ritual of taking the right number of pills from each bottle, being careful to check the correct dosages.

I lie down again, feeling hollow and uncertain, and after that I keep staring at the blank, unfamiliar ceiling for a long time. It doesn't start looking any more familiar, not even after darkness falls and long shadows draw across my room like fingers. The sheets feel slightly more comfortable, warm and nest-like against the chill that passes for room temperature here. Soon the lighter shade of darkness that is the ceiling looks like every ceiling does at night, and it becomes the only thing I recognize any more. The night beckons me to sleep, and I feel the coldness of unfamiliarity and fear creeping up my spine once again. I keep drifting further away from the world I knew.

Katawa Shoujo OST - Raindrops and Puddles

I wake up in a strange room. Solid morning light shimmers against the light gray ceiling. I had forgotten to draw the curtains closed last night. I? This is my room, isn't it? My room... This is the third room this year that I'm supposed to call 'mine.' Various things around here remind me that indeed, it's me who is supposed to be the one living here. My bags on the floor, my new school books on the desk. My numerous medications on the night table. I stare at the bottles for a moment, deliberating, until I open a bottle, shake out a pill and pop out a tablet from a foil sheet. I down them with a chaser of water without thinking about the chemistry.

My uniforms are in the closet. I slink out from under the sheets and stretch my back before dressing up. Putting on a new school uniform feels like dressing in someone else's clothes. The artificial smell of generic detergent invades my nose, but the feeling of fresh cloth against my back is a good one, a natural one. It feels like a school uniform, as it should. It's not much different from what I used to wear before. That goes for other things too. So far, this place seems more or less like a normal school. Except for the people.

I think back to my talk with Kenji yesterday, Misha's constant laughter, and Shizune's sweeping sign language gestures. Well, I've only met three students so far. Maybe they aren't that normal, but I'm sure others are. Or, perhaps, people like them are what passes for normal around here? Yeah, what does pass for normal around here? What do people do? I didn't see a lot of kids hanging around after classes yesterday, so maybe there are clubs. If so, I wonder if I should join one.

All through class, the question remains on my mind, so I decide to ask Shizune about it when we split into groups. After all, she did say if I had anything I wanted to know, I should ask her.

:eng101: Her sprite moves side to side, implying that she’s pacing. :eng101:

:eng101: I really do like the art in this game :allears: :eng101:

She crosses her arms and shifts her gaze slowly to Misha, who looks more preoccupied with trying to grind the eraser of her pencil down so that the top is perfect and evenly flat.

Katawa Shoujo OST – Fripperies

MISHA: "Ahaha~! Sorry, sorry, Shicchan~! Is there something you wanted from me? Oh~... I see! Hm... That's a good question, Hicchan.”

My first thought is that means she doesn't know, which is worrying. Maybe I'm being too negative. Well, anyway, Misha, please don't prove me right.

MISHA: "Oh, that's right! Everyone is encouraged to join a club. A lot of people do so because there isn't really anything else to do. There are also school events, like the festival coming up in a few days. Almost every student in the school tends to help out with it, doing whatever. So~! You actually transferred in at a busy time... maybe you can help out, too~!"

HISAO: "Sure. What's the festival about?"

Misha freezes.

MISHA: "...Wahahaha~! I don't know, Hicchan, the truth is it's a local event, and I'm not from this area, so..."

She starts signing desperately to Shizune, asking her to bail her out. Shizune adjusts her glasses at the end of an oddly grandiose flourish and starts signing hard and heavy.

:eng101: Their expressions flip repeatedly as they sign: Misha’s between neutral and dismayed, Shizune’s between neutral and smug. :eng101:

MISHA: "Huh? Oh.”

MISHA: "Who cares?”

Misha puffs out her chest as she shouts Shizune's words out at me with a disproportionate amount of pride. Too loud. I can see heads turning to look in our direction.

HISAO: "Not so loud..."

MISHA: "Human beings evolve with each new generation! The ideals and beliefs behind a festival will inevitably change with time!"

SHIZUNE: "...!"

MISHA: "Now, it's about delicious fried food and amusing little games that you play to win prizes~! Hahahaha~!"

The teacher clears his throat very loudly, batting his long wooden pointer against his other palm like a baton. He shoots a pointed gaze at us. Finally noticing where we are, Misha stifles a yelp and quickly quiets down. Shizune doesn't seem embarrassed at all, though, brushing it off without a care.

MISHA: "We are in the middle of class, and should start working. That's right, Shicchan~! What? That's right~! Hicchan, are you asking because you're interested in joining a club?"

It could have been my eyes playing tricks on me, but I think I saw a suspicious glance exchanged between them. Misha's tone has also changed, although it does that every other word, anyway.

HISAO: "Yeah, I was thinking about it."

(Silence)

Misha and Shizune look at each other again. I'm about to ask what they have in mind when something dark flutters in my peripheral vision, catching my attention.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see the girl with long, dark hair get up from her desk and slip silently towards the door. It doesn't seem like she was working in any group, and no one seems to notice her but me. I glance at the teacher, who's also looking at the dark-haired girl go. Why doesn't he say anything?"

MISHA: "Hicchan? Is something wrong?"

Do I look as uneasy as I feel? Or was Misha just looking at me looking after the girl who left?

HISAO: "No, nothing."

MISHA: "Okay~! Well, like we were asking, you don't have any plans for lunch today, do you?"

I thought I would go to the library and pick up some books.

HISAO: "...Not really."

MISHA: "Do you want to have lunch together then?"

HISAO: "Sure."

MISHA: "Yay~! Wahahaha~! Okay, Hicchan~! Perfect!"

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 17, 2021

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Disability Corner: Naming

As far as aspects of civil rights go, disability rights as advocated for by disabled people is relatively new. I really don’t want to dig too deep into the history of the disability rights movement and its relationships to similar movements because that poo poo is convoluted and depressing, but right now we’re still hammering down exactly what we want to be called, where, when, and why. As you might expect, there are dozens of different positions and subpositions with advocates that all hate each other, but in my experience you can boil it down to three ways people talk about us: differently abled people, disabled people, and people with disabilities.

“Differently abled” (and its cousin, “diverse abilities”) is particularly popular among people who really want to help. Their arguments sound pretty good on paper: the word “disabled” specifically defines a person by the way in which they fail to measure up to societal standards. So, by changing the term to something that emphasizes how much value they have and how capable they can be, you turn it into something supportive and complementary, right? Not so much, given how it downplays the very real problems many of us have. Like, my condition and life experience give me capabilities very few other people can match, but I also cannot type for any period of time without experiencing extreme pain. Pain preventing typing isn’t a different ability, you know? It smacks of selling our value to society at large instead of finding ways to make it work with us. Plus, it doesn’t help that the driving force comes from groups organized by abled people for disabled people without our knowledge or input. I’ll get into how big a bugbear that kind of paternalism is in another post, but the disabled community has a long, long history of people speaking straight over it on the assumption that we can’t speak for ourselves. Using the whole “differently abled” thing doesn’t make someone a bad person or anything – hell, a few of us actually like and use the term – and there are tons of people who use it because they don’t know enough of the context to figure out what’s really going on and can be brought around relatively easily. But it’s something the activist community as a whole does not approve of.

The other two terms, which go by the names person-first and identity-first language, see a lot more debate. Person-first language describes the formation [name or basic description]-[conjoining phrase]-[condition]: person with disabilities, women with deafness, people who have autism. The argument goes that this phraseology separates a person, forcing the speaker and listener to acknowledge their personhood first before attaching any qualifiers. Mainstream disability activism really takes issue with the “qualifier” part of that sentence – see, the thing about our disabilities is that they’re a part of us. We can’t extract them from our lives and look at them separately because they shape our lives, for better or for worse. The very concept grates on those of us who consider them a part of our identities, since it severs part of our identity, identifies it as lesser, and quarantines it at the end of the phrase. Can you imagine if they did that for other groups? My personal favorite take is “person with womanhood”. Plus, one of the biggest sponsors of person-first language is Autism Speaks, and considering that organization historically promoted anti-vaxx, spends ~20 times as much money on lobbying for autism as they spend on supporting those who have it, lobbies against groups run by said people when they’re not telling them to their faces they shouldn’t breed, and is partly funded by neo-Nazis, so :v:

Its primary competitor is identity-first language: [condition]-[name or basic description], like blind person or autistic women. In part, the argument goes that person-first language may sound better, there’s little evidence it does anything to shift opinions . What it does do is make talking about disability a little less painful for family members and professionals, many of whom either view disability as something purely negative, consciously or unconsciously think they’re better equipped to talk about our lives than we are, or both. It sidelines us. Identity-first language, on the other hand, brings our disability front and center. Instead of segregating it from the rest of us, identity-first language fits our identity back into standard English word order like any other adjective. Being disabled is not inherently positive, but it’s not inherently negative, either; it's a part of us, something inherent with good and bad aspects, and passing moral judgment on it makes no more sense than passing moral judgment on any other fundamental aspect of a person. It lets us take it as it is, without hiding it to protect the sensibilities of others.

And I took that stance without reservation until I started working with people in their 40s and 50s and 60s who identified as people with disabilities. We think of person-first language as old and outdated today, but the way they tell it, it actually only dates back a few decades, not that long past when the concept of identity-first language was being formulated in the 90s. Before then, the question of where to put the adjective in the phrase was irrelevant because there was no phrase, just adjectival nouns: handicapped, disabled, words considered insults and slurs today. “Person with” was a roadblock designed to interrupt thought patterns, intended less to separate people from their disabilities and more to point out that people are not defined by their disabilities alone, at a time when that was the working assumption. To them, identity-first language smacks uncomfortably of the brutality they had to push back against and again prioritizes those all-encompassing definitions they tried to break free of.

Of course, the other side’s arguments still hold true, so :shrug:. We settled on identity-first language in official communications while acknowledging person-first language as legitimate because of that. And not only do plenty of people identify as people with disabilities, but some identify as having diverse abilities or any number of other alternatives, and I’m not inclined to tell them that they’re wrong. Plus, a lot of this debate focuses on neurodiversity (especially autism) and ignores other fields of disability where this debate is nonexistent. There is no clear answer I’m driving towards here. But the Disability Corner exist to show you a little about what’s happening behind the scenes in disability advocacy, and I hope this did exactly that!

Let me know if there’s anything you’re interested in and would like me to cover; unless something else comes up, I can look into it and get back to you with my discoveries next time.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
You know, this isn't something I talk about much, but given the premise of KS, it may be worth comparing how real schools handle kids with special needs (I'll ask for forgiveness in advance if my use of terminology isn't especially adroit, also CW: ableist language). So, in the first grade, I was your typical gifted child, acting out when I got bored in class, and this led to the school "psychologist" informally diagnosing me with Asperger's Syndrome at the end of the year, so up through the fifth grade, I was placed in the special education classroom. Now, I personally don't agree with the original diagnosis, given that in the nineties, stuff like ADHD and autism spectrum disorders (especially Asperger's Syndrome) were notoriously overdiagnosed for any child that showed more than the acceptable amount of rambunctiousness, and I was never given an official goes-in-the-medical-records diagnosis, but regardless, I got firsthand experience for how this sort of thing was handled by the American public school system.

First of all, there was no distinction made between what kind of neurodivergence the students had; my class was a mix of children with learning disorders, those with ADHD, those with autism, and those with other emotional/psychological disorders, though disorders that required any sort of physical assistance or accessibility measures were handled at a different school (the district essentially designated a single school to handle all children with given "type" of special need, grouped somewhat arbitrarily, and every kid in the district assigned there would be bussed in; my school used a van rather than the infamous "short bus"). This made it impossible to have a single lesson plan that fit everyone, so the special education classroom employed both a teacher as well as up to two assistants, both to break the class up into groups based on their requirements, and to handle particularly violent tantrums (ask me about the time I got a desk slammed against me by an incensed classmate). Additionally, some students were "mainstreamed" (their word) into the regular classrooms for much of the day, based on how well they could integrate with the neurotypical students and which subjects they had difficulty with, as the special needs class wasn't really equipped to teach most grade-appropriate topics. Mostly, it was just me getting sent out, because my only "problem" (for lack of a better word) was a tendency towards non-violent disruptive behavior.

That's how I learned the preferred term for my class among the rest of the student body. We were called "sped monkeys", as the special education classroom was often just shortened to "sped class". It was too stupid to be genuinely hurtful on its own, but it underscored how many of the students, as well as one particular teacher in fifth grade, resented being "forced" to deal with my presence, though it was at least slightly better than when they'd just outright refer to us as r****ds, I guess. So, the idea of a school where all the kids with special needs get shuffled off to is at once both idealistic ("Gee sure would be nice not having to deal with being othered every day") and kinda irritating ("Yeah, I bet all the quote-unquote 'normal' people would love to just sweep us under the rug"). Sorry if this was kinda rambling/pointless, but I thought it might interesting to compare how this stuff tends to go in real life, and reflecting on how, sometimes, people only notice the patronizing reactions and fail to take note of the outright hostility that can be directed at special needs children.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Falconier111 posted:

Let me know if there’s anything you’re interested in and would like me to cover; unless something else comes up, I can look into it and get back to you with my discoveries next time.
I'd be interested in your thoughts on derogatory words with mostly-forgotten ableist roots, such as 'dumb'. It's a discussion I've encountered a few times, and I think it's kind of intriguing (and extremely sad to realize how many common terms have their roots in calling people mentally disabled as an insult).

Falconier111 posted:

"Who cares?”

Misha puffs out her chest as she shouts Shizune's words out at me with a disproportionate amount of pride. Too loud. I can see heads turning to look in our direction.

"Not so loud..."

"..."

"Human beings evolve with each new generation! The ideals and beliefs behind a festival will inevitably change with time!"

"...!"

"Now, it's about delicious fried food and amusing little games that you play to win prizes~! Hahahaha~!"

The teacher clears his throat very loudly, batting his long wooden pointer against his other palm like a baton. He shoots a pointed gaze at us. Finally noticing where we are, Misha stifles a yelp and quickly quiets down. Shizune doesn't seem embarrassed at all, though, brushing it off without a care.
:allears: Can I already vote for Shizune as second route?

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
As an autistic person, I can confirm that Autism Speaks is an utter cancer. Why or how they still continue to be funded is beyond me, other than as a platform to not-so-covertly promote eugenics for autistic people.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009

Carpator Diei posted:

I'd be interested in your thoughts on derogatory words with mostly-forgotten ableist roots, such as 'dumb'.

There's a very weird modern twist on this where people were briefly co-opting "color blind" into a political thing completely unrelated to color vision deficiency. Lots to unpack there.

Thanks for including the captions, OP!

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Happened to find this list of philosophical texts on disability and on ableism in academia:
https://twitter.com/a_h_reaume/status/1394675784875339776

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Falconier111 posted:

Disability Corner: Naming
Can you imagine if they did that for other groups? My personal favorite take is “person with womanhood”.

I was once sent a meeting invitation for a nonprofit event (not related to people with disabilities), where the invitation included a list of "persons of contact" to reach out to with questions.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Carpator Diei posted:

I'd be interested in your thoughts on derogatory words with mostly-forgotten ableist roots, such as 'dumb'. It's a discussion I've encountered a few times, and I think it's kind of intriguing (and extremely sad to realize how many common terms have their roots in calling people mentally disabled as an insult).

:allears: Can I already vote for Shizune as second route?

I’ve teed up paternalistic ableism for next time because it’s so fundamental for understanding disability activism, but I can tackle that next. Just drop a post reminding me after it goes up. Also, Shizune’s is one of my two favorite routes :ssh:

Decoy Badger posted:

There's a very weird modern twist on this where people were briefly co-opting "color blind" into a political thing completely unrelated to color vision deficiency. Lots to unpack there.

Thanks for including the captions, OP!

:tipshat:

Let me know if there’s anything else I can do to make this accessible.

... You know, I’m considering setting aside a space in the OP for the experiences of people in the thread with ableism and disability. Would you mind me linking to this post in the second post? I can also drop a link to the post that links the Twitter further reading thread if Carpator Diei doesn’t mind.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Falconier111 posted:

I can also drop a link to the post that links the Twitter further reading thread if Carpator Diei doesn’t mind.
Sure :) Just to avoid any misunderstanding, that thread was not made by me, I just saw it linked somewhere.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Falconier111 posted:

... You know, I’m considering setting aside a space in the OP for the experiences of people in the thread with ableism and disability. Would you mind me linking to this post in the second post? I can also drop a link to the post that links the Twitter further reading thread if Carpator Diei doesn’t mind.

Be my guest, I wouldn't have posted it if I didn't want people to read it. :thumbsup:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Dance Officer posted:

As an autistic person, I can confirm that Autism Speaks is an utter cancer. Why or how they still continue to be funded is beyond me, other than as a platform to not-so-covertly promote eugenics for autistic people.
Unless you're extremely online, involved in legit autism advocacy(as an autistic person or as an ally), or both, you're probably not aware of all the issues they have and assume they're just The Autistic Charity. Same way, say, Goodwill hasn't gone under despite them also being super lovely to the people they're supposedly helping.

(also hi, I'm autistic too. I probably won't have much to say in regards to the themes in the VN because it's focusing on physical disabilities and not neurodiversity, although I guess "here's how people tend to be lovely to autistic people and how your life is made easier, fairly or not, if you can pass as NT" wouldn't be completely off topic either)

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Haifisch posted:

Unless you're extremely online, involved in legit autism advocacy(as an autistic person or as an ally), or both, you're probably not aware of all the issues they have and assume they're just The Autistic Charity. Same way, say, Goodwill hasn't gone under despite them also being super lovely to the people they're supposedly helping.

(also hi, I'm autistic too. I probably won't have much to say in regards to the themes in the VN because it's focusing on physical disabilities and not neurodiversity, although I guess "here's how people tend to be lovely to autistic people and how your life is made easier, fairly or not, if you can pass as NT" wouldn't be completely off topic either)

Autism Speaks THRIVES on paternalistic ableism. They know that if they don’t let themselves get pulled into debates, no one will bother looking any further in because that attitude is so ingrained it discourages treating autistic people as another minority group. It’s why Autism Speaks never directly acknowledges critism. Like, with the neo-nazi thing, they stopped taking their money but never apologized or said anything about it, and whenever something in their materials catches so much flak they have to change it they never acknowledge they changed anything. Even if they do respond to critics, they never reference their criticism; they just set up strawmen and attack their positions. rear end knows most people will look at it, see “they’re parents helping the disabled”, and decide they must be doing because it never occurs to them that autistic people might be equipped to talk about their needs for themselves.

Also, those with physical and mental disabilities are their own people with very different wants and needs, but we’re all kin; we both get hit with ableism and are covered by the same legislation.

E: also KS DOES touch on neurodiversity later, though not under that term :ssh:

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Update 5: Risk vs. Reward

:eng101: Apologies for the obscenely long update; I couldn’t figure out where to break it up and eventually threw up my hands wanted to give you guys a little something extra for the weekend. :eng101:

(Silence)

The rest of class passes uneventfully. The girl with the long hair never came back. Before I have the time to put any more thought into where she could have gone, the teacher informs us that it's time to stop working. Shizune looks more than a little annoyed that we only just barely managed to finish all our work on time. I'm just glad we finished it at all; it's not a contest or anything.

Katawa Shoujo OST - Generic Happy Music

MISHA: "Yes it is, Hicchan!"

HISAO: "Impossible."

MISHA: "Really?"

HISAO: "Really."

I've noticed this before, but it's kind of funny how Misha is always moving her hands and signing not only everything she says, but what anyone else is saying at any given time. Obviously, it must be so Shizune can understand it. Her eyes dart back and forth between Misha's hands and me. I don't know who I'm supposed to be looking at. I'm talking to Misha, but that might be wrong; maybe I should face Shizune. I'm used to looking in the direction of the person whose voice I'm hearing, but really... Shizune can't hear me, but it would be disrespectful to talk to her only through Misha. Then again, isn't that what she's doing? No, she's at least looking at me. This is all very confusing and will take some time to get used to.

HISAO: "It's not a contest, because contests are competitions over a prize. If there's no prize on the line, it's not really a contest."

Shizune's eyes flash dangerously with a competitive glare. She stares at me, as if surprised that I'm challenging her. I think maybe this is a contest to her. I never noticed before how dark and blue her eyes are; it's truly an alluring gaze.

MISHA: "Are you sure, Hicchan?"

HISAO: "Very sure."

MISHA: "Hahaha! You're wrong, Hicchan. Because~!, I don't want to be the slowest one in the class. Therefore, what's on the line is my confidence in my abilities, and the prize is the satisfaction of proving them. Wahahahaha~!"

Shizune pushes her glasses up the bridge of her nose in a very matter-of-fact way. I'd argue more, but the bell rings, and she quickly gets up and picks up her bag, looking at me expectantly. I had almost forgotten that I was supposed to have lunch with them.

MISHA: "Where do you want to eat?"

HISAO: "The cafeteria?"

MISHA: "Hahaha~! That's so plain... Okay~! Let's go!"

Plain? Well I guess... At my old school, I liked to eat outside, near the back of the building. It was a good spot, but I didn't find it until near the end of my freshman year. I wonder if there is a similar place to eat here. Misha seems to imply as much.

Shizune and Misha pull me towards the cafeteria, which is surprisingly not packed. Maybe some students favor eating in classroom or outdoors. I saw some of my classmates had boxed lunches. After we finish eating, Misha picks up where we left off earlier.

Katawa Shoujo OST - The Student Council (Shizune's Theme)

MISHA: "So, Hicchan, you wanted to know about clubs and stuff, right?, right~?"

MISHA: "Right, Shicchan! Okay, I guess it makes sense to ask first."

Exchanging little nods of confirmation, they turn to face me again and Misha straightens her posture as if she is about to deliver a speech.

MISHA: "Hicchan, do you have anything you're really interested in?"

HISAO: "I used to play soccer, but I'm not really into it. I don't follow the teams and players or anything like that. As of late, I usually just read a lot."

MISHA: "Hm... There is a book club, right, Shicchan? Right! But~! It seems like they have all the members they can possibly have right now. Sorry, Hicchan... It's a really popular club."

MISHA: "Ah, okay! But, more to the point, Hicchan, does this mean that you don't have anything already in mind?"

HISAO: "Not really."

MISHA: "Good! Great~! That's great, Hicchan! Really great! Hahaha~! Wahahahaha~!"

HISAO: "Why's it so great?"

MISHA: "No reason. Well, Hicchan, other than clubs and the upcoming festival, there is one other thing... Student Council!"

I see. I didn't know this school had a Student Council. That was a very melodramatic setup, though, just to tell me that.

I'm pretty sure the two of them know this, because Shizune looks a little embarrassed about it, and Misha is laughing. Shizune quickly retakes control of the discussion, in a manner of speaking. After all, it's still Misha who has to voice whatever she says.

MISHA: "Hahaha~! Hm? Right, right... Hicchan, maybe you should join the Student Council! They could use more people~. Yes! Definitely! You should definitely join!"

HISAO: "Why?"

MISHA: “Well, for one, we could hang out every day, Hicchan~! Shicchan and I are both in the Student Council. Actually, Shicchan is the president."

Hm... I'm starting to get the suspicion that Shizune and Misha might not exactly be the most unbiased people to talk about this with. As if reading my mind, Shizune quickly adjusts her glasses and signs something to Misha.

MISHA: "Hahaha~! Of course, we're not trying to get you to join just because we would obviously benefit from you joining the Student Council and therefore have an incentive to try and get you to—"

HISAO: "So, you're admitting that—"

MISHA: "Ahaha~! No! We admit nothing~! I mean, Hicchan, of course it would be nice if you joined, and we'd appreciate it. But even without all that, joining the Student Council shows a healthy interest in the workings of one's school. Yup~! It's true, Hicchan. Besides, don't you want to spend time with us after school, Hicchan?"

I can't tell if she is being genuine or if this is just really good acting. Both of them seem to be trying hard to look their cutest, although they are already pretty cute to begin with.

HISAO: "Well..."

MISHA: "So it's settled, then. Welcome to the Student Council, Hicchan~!"

HISAO: "What? No. No!"

MISHA: "Awww... See, Shicchan? Of course it wouldn't go so easily."

MISHA: "Yup! That's right, though, it would be boring if it went that smoothly. Oh well~! Shicchan owes me candy now!"

HISAO: "You were betting on it? Hey, my life is not a game here!"

Shizune seems very intrigued by this when Misha signs it to her. The aggressive glint returns to her eyes.

MISHA: "Wahaha~! That's interesting, Hicchan. Let's play a game!"

HISAO: "That's not what I said."

MISHA: "How about Rich Man, Poor Man, Hicchan? If you lose, you have to join the Student Council~!"

HISAO: "No, absolutely not."

MISHA: "Aw~, why not?"

HISAO: "Well, because you two both have the same incentive, and therefore the same goal, which is to get me to join the Student Council, right?"

MISHA: "Yup!"

HISAO: "Yeah, that isn't my goal. But what this means is that both of you can team up and I'll be at a clear disadvantage. So, I will have to decline."

MISHA: "Hicchan! I'm very offended! Are you saying you don't trust us, and that we would pull something so d—dis—in—gen—u—ous...? That makes me sad..."

HISAO: "Sorry?"

It's hard to tell where Shizune's influence ends and Misha's thoughts begin.

MISHA: "In order to atone for hurting a young girl's feelings, you should definitely join the Student Council!"

HISAO: "No!"

MISHA: "How about a game of paper football, instead of Rich Man, Poor Man?"

HISAO: "Paper football?"

MISHA: "Yeah~! It's a game they play in America~! You make a paper triangle, and then you try to shoot it past goalposts that the other player makes with their fingers! Isn't it cool~? It's the ultimate form of competition between two people, Hicchan~!"

MISHA: "...And it's also played by elementary and middle school children, Shicchan? Wahaha! That means it's a game that really separates the boys from the men!"

HISAO: "More like the boys from the slightly older boys. Anyway, I'm not going to play that either. Just the fact that you know about it means you're probably surprisingly good at it."

MISHA: "Hahaha~! Yeah yeah~, that's true! How did you know, Hicchan?"

Shizune frowns at Misha, telling me that she probably wasn't supposed to admit that so readily. I wouldn't say that I'm happy with their attempts to get me into the Student Council, but I'm a little curious about what the Student Council does here. I've never been on one before, or even known anybody who was a member, so it interests me. I also kind of like Shizune and Misha, so maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

MISHA: "Okay, Hicchan, how about Risk? The game of world domination!"

:eng101: No copyright issues in a non-profit production :v: :eng101:

HISAO: "I don't know what that is."

MISHA: "It's really fun, Hicchan. You fight for control of the world, with armies and everything."

NARRATOR: "Sounds like Shizune would be good at it."

MISHA: "If you want to play, we can after school."

MISHA: "Ah, really, Shicchan? We can play just for fun, Hicchan. Shicchan hasn't played in a long time, so if you want to, there are no strings attached~!"

HISAO: "Well, okay..."

MISHA: "Okay! Okay, okay~! Perfect~! We'll see you after school in the student council room, then, Hicchan!"

HISAO: "Wait, why there?"

MISHA: "Because~! That's where we keep the game. Wahahahaha~!"

I grimace to tell them how much I do not like this, but it's more for show than anything. So in the end I agree, but only after getting Shizune to acknowledge that I don't mean anything concrete just by accepting to take a look around and play a game with her. Lunch ends, and we go back to class.

(Silence)

During afternoon classes, the long haired girl comes back and sits down in her seat without a word. Again, no one seems to notice, or if they do, no one says anything. I want to ask Misha about it, but I don't want to be nosy.

Katawa Shoujo OST - Ease

After school, Shizune and Misha quickly find me by the first floor lobby and latch onto me, covering each flank in case I might try to escape. I feel a little offended, but I'd been considering it. Nevertheless, I'm a bit disturbed that enough people have made a break for it in the past that they're on their guard.

HISAO: "What's with the escort? This doesn't make me feel very comfortable."

In fact, it makes me feel like a dangerous prisoner being transported to his cell.

MISHA: "Wahahaha! What's wrong, Hicchan?"

MISHA: "That's right, we're just going to go play a game of Risk, remember?"

I don't know, Misha, this all seems a little sinister to me. I start thinking that when we sit down to play the game, they'll tie me down and torture me until I agree to join the Student Council. Well, that's highly unlikely, but still... For some reason, it just seems like it would be so plausible... Getting to the student council room is as simple as turning two corners from where we started.

HISAO: "What? That's it? This makes you guys being so on top of me seem a little silly."

MISHA: "That's not true, Hicchan, Shicchan says that when their life is threatened, people have shown the capability to pull off superhuman bursts of speed."

HISAO: "'Life is threatened'?"

Her expression unchanging, Misha signs something amusedly to Shizune, who makes a baffling face and puts her hands behind her back, looking pleased with herself.

MISHA: "Mm~ hm hm hm~..."

Misha feigns deafness and hums cheerily. Stop that, I know you heard me; you have no excuse, unlike Shizune.

(Silence)

Shizune opens the door to the student council room. It's a very plain, sparsely decorated room, although it is quite large, maybe even a little larger than a classroom. There's a big table in the center surrounded by chairs, and a smaller desk prominently placed in the back that I assume is Shizune's. There are a few regular desks and chairs stacked to one side, as well. Extras, perhaps? Aside from the tables and chairs, the room doesn't have much else to offer. Just a couple of filing cabinets and bookshelves stacked with old school records and documents. Not much else. In fact, nothing else. This is... a pretty bleak room. They could at least put a potted plant in here, or something. But the most noticeable thing that this room doesn't have is other people.

HISAO: "Are we early?"

MISHA: "No~."

HISAO: "What do you mean “no”? Does it mean nobody else is coming today?"

MISHA: "Yeah, that's right~."

Before I manage to ask why that's the case, Shizune claps her hands together very energetically.

:eng101: Complete with sound effect. :eng101:

MISHA: "Hicchan, let's play Risk! Come on, you promised, didn't you? You have to~! Hahaha~! Okay okay okay~! Do you want to know the rules? We can explain to you while we set everything up!"

While Misha is talking, Shizune takes out what looks like a board game from behind one of the filing cabinets and throws it on the table. Actually, this looks kind of interesting. After Misha spends a little too long for her liking running through the basics with a somewhat vague and confusing tutorial, Shizune cuts in and declares the game has started with a decisive motion, slicing her arm through the air. Shizune's aggressiveness is rubbing off onto me. I start feeling more competitive than I intended to be when I agreed to this.

Katawa Shoujo OST – Hokabi

MISHA: "Hicchan, Shicchan wants you to know that you are taking too long to make a move.

Halfway into the game, while I try to ponder how to defend against Shizune's assault from two fronts, she breaks my concentration by drumming her fingers on the table to get my attention.

MISHA: "Hicchan, Shicchan wants you to know that you are taking too long to make a move.”

MISHA: “Shicchan also says that she will let you keep Australia if you agree to join the Student Council~!"

HISAO: "I thought this was a game with no strings attached."

Just the fact that she would dangle that over my head as an offer means that she knows I care about the outcome of this game.

HISAO: "And anyway: No!"

MISHA: "Shicchan admires your fighting spirit and would be a benevolent dictator who will spare your people if you agree to join the Student Council~! Hahahaha~!"

HISAO: "You're so competitive, Shizune."

She seems to take this as a compliment.

HISAO: "I would expect the Student Council president to be a little more magnanimous."

MISHA: "Mag—nan—i—mous...?"

She doesn't seem to know what the word means or how it's signed, so she pulls out a piece of paper and writes it for Shizune, who in return signs it back to Misha. Misha presses her index fingers against her temples, as if trying to physically imprint the word into her memory.

Suddenly, Shizune bursts into a flurry of gestures. Misha looks daunted by the pace of her heated signing.

MISHA: "Ah, wait, please slow down, Shicchan... Um, Hicchan~! Shicchan says you're going to lose!"

HISAO: "Tell her I will crush her world empire with my rebellion."

MISHA: "Ah... Okay..."

Those eyes of hers shine with childlike mischief.

MISHA: "She says you have no chance if you keep playing like this, no you won't~!"
>She has a point. Attack aggressively!
>It’s a trap, it’s smarter to play defensively here.

:eng101: As you can probably guess, this is one of the primary departure points for Shizunes’s route. Do you know which option we should pick? :eng101:

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 18, 2021

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

My youngest sister has profound autism, (she has moderate cognitive disability and can’t speak) and my family had done a lot of activism and service for the local neurodivergent charities while I was growing up (and we still do) to help out and give back to our community. But I remember being a naive kid like 15 years ago and doing work to raise awareness of Autism and I championed Autism Speaks because, well, it was a charity with Autism in the title and I hadn’t done much research. It wasn’t until later when I got more actually involved that I realized how bad they were. So now I just focus on the local charities I know that use their funding appropriately and, you know, aren’t nazis.

Also, loving the LP so far! I haven’t played or seen this before except small snippets years ago so I’m very interested in seeing where it goes

sandnavyguy fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 21, 2021

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
It feels a bit strange that there are blind and deaf people in the same class despite their utterly different accessibility needs. But, I have no idea how this is organized irl these days and it is almost certainly something with massive regional differences.
A friend of mine ended up transferring to a school for the deaf, because despite him being not deaf they reportedly were also great at attention-deficit pupils. But I don't think they had students with other disabilities, and made the less physically disabled pupils pay through the nose.
And later I went to gym next to a home for the blind, and sometimes chatted and worked out with the people from there, tho most of them were much older then me. They lived in a home for the blind, worked in a factory for the blind all their lives until after retirement, basically they were their own separate community. I think that is considered an outdated approach, especially with an essentially foreign ruled community. The home ended up getting converted into a student home through the years as the old blind people died off and the nearby university grew larger.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

We play to win defense!

Psycho Lawnmower
Apr 1, 2011

For the cow-borrowing glory and infinite wisdom of Elmal! Cheese for everyone!
As not only an autistic adult, but someone who works as a Direct Support Professional in the field of developmentally-able individuals, AND that four of my cousins also have ASD, I'm very curious about this LP. You're doing a great job so far! It seems like it has a good sense of characterization with their disability included, but not tacked...How did 4chan make this with such care? I'm kinda shocked by that...though that last scene, you could have told Shizune straight, Hisao. I'm sure Misha won't mind, just saying...

Though to be fair, I'm not sure how much I trust Kenji...especially if what I'm reading from him so far is true.

Also, in terms of Autism Speaks, do we also wanna talk about how they support a style of teaching (cw: problematic techniques) autistic children that is essentially Pavlovian? and ignores the emotional context of those it is used on?

News flash: Autistic kids are not dogs.

Play Defense!

Psycho Lawnmower fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 22, 2021

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

If anyone is curious, yes in fact you do look at the Deaf person, and talk directly to them.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

VictualSquid posted:

It feels a bit strange that there are blind and deaf people in the same class despite their utterly different accessibility needs. But, I have no idea how this is organized irl these days and it is almost certainly something with massive regional differences.
This is addressed, actually; Hisao et al are in Class 3-3, while Lilly and Kenji are in 3-2, which exclusively has blind students.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Psycho Lawnmower posted:

As not only an autistic adult, but someone who works as a Direct Support Professional in the field of developmentally-able individuals, AND that four of my cousins also have ASD, I'm very curious about this LP. You're doing a great job so far! It seems like it has a good sense of characterization with their disability included, but not tacked...How did 4chan make this with such care?

As mentioned earlier in the thread, actual 4chan posters had very little to do with the game's development outside sharing the image that served as inspiration. Although, during the game's development, I'd check the KS forums every now and then to keep up with their progress, and there were definitely some posts that reminded one of the project's origins on 4chan. I'm not gonna act like there's something inherently wrong in wanting porn or being excited for a game with adult content because of that adult content, but there was some absolutely problematic fetishization going on, particularly aimed towards Rin, in exactly the way you'd expect, given her disability (and, hopefully this doesn't fall afoul of the spoiler policy, but the devs were wise enough to not include the scene those posters were clamoring for). It painted a pretty clear picture of what the game would have looked like, had it actually been "made by 4chan".

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Falconier111 posted:

Those eyes of hers shine with childlike mischief.

One of the most powerful sprites.

I played this game about a few months when it first came out and it kicked my rear end by the time I read everything. Picked up more VNs here and there over time and as far as first introductions to a genre go, this is a pretty good one. I'm excited for the LP and for hearing other people's thoughts on this as we work through the routes.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Can't wait for this route. We got a deaf girl who relies on her friend to translate for her. A friend who is her age and is also a very friendly girl. So we're gonna have to date her through her friend. Can't wait for that drama bomb, what can go wrong??

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

One thing that's kinda weird either in the game or the LP presentation is that it's pretty unclear when Misha is talking for herself and when she's translating.
It's also weird that she's there at all, since she's a kid that needs school too, not someone translating as a job. Like what happens if she didn't want to go to the same club as Shizune or pick different electives? And if she's constantly doing simultaneous interpretation, she's not really paying enough attention to teacher's lecturing or taking her own notes.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Foxfire_ posted:

One thing that's kinda weird either in the game or the LP presentation is that it's pretty unclear when Misha is talking for herself and when she's translating.
It's also weird that she's there at all, since she's a kid that needs school too, not someone translating as a job. Like what happens if she didn't want to go to the same club as Shizune or pick different electives? And if she's constantly doing simultaneous interpretation, she's not really paying enough attention to teacher's lecturing or taking her own notes.

TBF I ran into a duo superficially like this in my calc class my first year of college. I got to know them since we shared a few classes and they weren't sisters or anything, just friends from high school with one who ended up translating stuff for people that didn't know sign language.

It was really strange meeting them like two months after I finished KS, one of those things that doesn't feel like a coincidence but is.

Also, I see you've already done defense on a separate run. Go on the OFFENSIVE

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

quote:

I've noticed this before, but it's kind of funny how Misha is always moving her hands and signing not only everything she says, but what anyone else is saying at any given time. Obviously, it must be so Shizune can understand it. Her eyes dart back and forth between Misha's hands and me. I don't know who I'm supposed to be looking at. I'm talking to Misha, but that might be wrong; maybe I should face Shizune. I'm used to looking in the direction of the person whose voice I'm hearing, but really... Shizune can't hear me, but it would be disrespectful to talk to her only through Misha. Then again, isn't that what she's doing? No, she's at least looking at me. This is all very confusing and will take some time to get used to.
I am deaf myself, and how it's supposed to work is that you're supposed to look at the person that does the talking and still keep the interpreter in your vision range - the interpreter would usually sit or stand next to the person. The person talking to you should be looking at you, since they are the ones talking to you, not to the interpreter. The interpreter is there to make sure the communication flows flawlessly, not to partake in conversations unless necessary.

However, it is not commonly known so the person may be talking to the interpreter, or are unaware of the fact that the interpreter needs to be next to them, so it's your job to explain to the person what needs to be done so the communication can be done flawlessly.

In either case, go on the offensive!

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Mechanically, go all Shizune or all Lilly, if you want to set up a save for later; Emi's flag overrides whichever you choose, so it's meaningless this time around.

4chan's response was...interesting. Surprisingly non-cynical, for a board that claims to hate everything. Seeing /v/ actually enjoy something is what convinced me to try it.

1 2 3 (linked for spoilers, and well, being 4chan)

There's still a KS general thread going on /vg/; currently on #3881.

Ghost Car
Sep 14, 2009

EclecticTastes posted:

So, the idea of a school where all the kids with special needs get shuffled off to is at once both idealistic ("Gee sure would be nice not having to deal with being othered every day") and kinda irritating ("Yeah, I bet all the quote-unquote 'normal' people would love to just sweep us under the rug").

I don't know whether the devs did research on this or if the game concept just sort of serendipitously lines up with reality here, but "one school that all the kids with special needs get shuffled off to" actually is the way it works in Japan, or at least a way that it can work. While working as a teacher at a regular high school in Japan, I also did occasional lessons at a special-needs school in the same district. (A public school, though - I don't know whether there are private residential special-needs schools like the one in the game.)

I'm not an expert on education for special-need students, but the model seems to have its pros and cons as compared to the US-style special ed program. On the one hand, it does, as noted, help with bullying, and the kids also benefit from smaller class sizes and more personalized attention (especially considering the local high school in this case was like 35 kids to a class). On the other hand, the issues with throwing a bunch of kids with different special needs into one class were still very much there, and on top of that, the students who might have benefited from mainstreaming didn't have that opportunity. Plus, there's something to be said for being able to tell people where you went to high school without also telling them that you have a disability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

That wasn’t actually a question to be voted on :v:. Mostly I was setting things up to explain something next update. I didn’t know Emi’s flags overrode everyone else’s, though, that actually makes it easier for me to explain something down the line.

For what it’s worth, the game establishes that Misha is a regular student who translates for Shizune because she wants to. They’re just friends. Speaking of which, Sketchie, Ghost Car, permission to add your informative posts to the OP.