Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I suspect it's less about Emi being a jock and more about her being super upbeat and easygoing. She's an easy person to like, and to want to spend time with.

I'm definitely looking forward to this LP; I did play the game way back when and enjoyed it a bunch, but I've forgotten enough of it that it's going to be mostly new to me. The best of both worlds!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Foxfire_ posted:

"Why aren't you done with this paperwork a day before it's due? Must be because you suck, huh?" isn't being blunt, it's being a jackass

That's ... a little off. The budget was already extended once, it's due that day, and turns out, Lilly handed it off to subordinates. And it's the budget for the school festival, which is in three days. They kinda need it ASAP. And Lilly's defense was "it's hard to do it all in a week" except that apparently everyone else managed it.

So, yeah, Shizune's coming off pretty strong, but on the other hand, she does have valid reasons to be irritated.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, people are being a bit harsh on both Shizune and Misha here, IMO.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

A reminder that Shizune has a legitimate reason to be upset with Lilly (even more now that we find out that absolutely no one is willing to help with the physical part of setting up this festival). Also, while Misha's "delinquent" line is definitely way too much, they were both very concerned and helpful when Hanako had her anxiety attack in Hanako's route.

I continue to read her interactions with Hisao as teasing. Definitely on the overbearing end, but we already know that she backs way off as soon as Hisao finds anything legitimate to do with his time. Right now, she's seeing a cute boy who's willing to stand up to her with nothing to do with his time, and is making her interest known. Again, yes, overbearing, but, uh, have you ever been around a teenage girl with a type-A personality?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

OK, got it, I won't post again since I don't have the background for it.

EDIT: Seriously. I was using it as a shorthand for "very extroverted and charismatic with a propensity for sweeping bystanders up in their activities". I guess that's on me. I certainly wasn't "trying to put a positive spin" on it, just point out that young people with personalities like that are very much like Shizune, especially if they have another strong extrovert like Misha to bounce off of. (My experience as a pretty strong introvert is that extroverts tend to have an exponentially exhausting effect. Being around two extroverts at the same time is way more than twice as bad) Shizune has already shown through the other two routes that she's more attentive than 99.9% of teenagers with this kind of personality by backing the gently caress off when Hisao found other people to hang out with/other things to do.

My read—and while I played every route when the game came out, I remember basically nothing of Shizune's—is that she's a bit lonely and definitely interested in Hisao. She's not handling either of those in the best way, but she's a teenager in primary school. People are treating her like she's a 30-year-old or a mental health professional. She's not. She's a kid. Further, she's a kid with way too much responsibility on her shoulders as apparently the only Student Council member for the entire school. Yeah, she's probably pushing people away with her forcefulness, and that's a negative feedback loop, but that happens every single day to probably literally billions of people in real life.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 30, 2021

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Children often act out to gain attention. Expecting perfection from children is really, really bad and leads to all kinds of problems both immediate and long-term.

Falconier111 posted:

Also, Zurai, you were supposed to be on that list but I missed you, so there you go.

Not sure what I posted that's worth reposting, but you have my blanket permission to do so.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 11, 2021

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Who is Shizune supposed to be setting an example for here? In the first part, the only other student present is Hisao and they're both outside of school. In the second part, she doesn't even do anything that would set a bad example. What responsibilities are being abandoned? The first part of the chapter takes place before school starts. Do you mean later on when they're playing games in the Student Council room? They're on their lunch break.

Further, when Hisao said "No" and made a serious protest, she backed off about opening the box. Everything after that was about carrying it. Nothing wrong with that. Yeah, she made a game out of it. Why is that bad, again? Even Hisao points out that it's not a competition. And in the Student Council room, honestly, engaging Hanako in a game of chess is both shrewd and responsible of Shizune. It's a way to get Hanako a little more comfortable, and she didn't try to force it. She just offered, made her case, and let Hanako decide.

I understand not liking Shizune's personality, but I do not get the demonization of her.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 11, 2021

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Personally, I think one of the problems here is that different people have different boundaries. Shizune's behavior is unacceptable to Nidoking because it blows past their boundaries. Meanwhile, in general, her behavior would definitely toe the line of my personal boundaries, but the only time she's been well over the line for me is when she/Misha called Hanako a delinquent out of the blue. Especially the stuff specific to Shizune's route has been, to my perception, teasing but relatively respectful. When Hisao tells her "No!" about the box, she looks mulish for a bit, sure, but she doesn't go after it anymore. That's not a sign of boundaries being pushed, to me, that's a sign of boundaries being respected. She clearly wants to keep going, but she respects that Hisao told her no and stops. That increases my trust in her because it shows that she's willing to put Hisao's preferences above her own.

To be clear, Shizune wouldn't be the character I would either pick or end up with in this story (if indeed I picked or ended up with any at all). She's definitely too pushy and energetic and outgoing for me, I can't handle that much energy all the time.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Nidoking posted:

What update are you people reading? Because the one I read says this, and since nobody seems to notice it, I'll add a bit of emphasis:

The sequence of events described here has Hisao saying "No!", and then in the following narrative, Shizune is still making moves as if to grab the box until Hisao nearly has to physically interpose himself between her and the box. In what way is this "when Hisao says no" that she's stopping? That is not a definition of "when" that I'm familiar with. In the English I know, it implies immediacy or concurrence. It does not mean "some time afterward, with further related events taking place between". As far as I'm concerned, posts like yours have no validity because you're not using the actual story to make your judgments.

No, we're very clearly not reading the same text, because once Hisao said "No," Shizune did not "mak[e] moves as if to grab the box." Let's re-read the sentence.

quote:

Eyes filled with excitement, she looks ready to fight me over this stupid package and I realize just how fast this could turn into a game of tug-of-war.

Looks ready to. Looks ready. Not "is doing."

Okay, maybe there's some action from her in the next sentence?

quote:

I am almost out of my seat now and waving my arms like an air traffic controller, before she finally settles down. Shizune pouts, not pleased with having her curiosity checked, and gets up to leave.

Nope. The only action described is on Hisao's end.

Nowhere did Shizune make any move on the box after Hisao told her "No."

Also remember that Hisao isn't the best at judging motivations and is a proven unreliable narrator.

Something something no validity because you're not using the actual story to make your judgements.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 13, 2021

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Moving on from the previous discussion, I definitely don't like how Shizune handled Hanako in this update. At the end of the previous update, I felt she did a good job of (relatively) gently luring Hanako in and engaging with her interests. In this one, though, she throws that out the window for ... no real narrative reason I can comprehend. It just comes off as, at best, extreme insensitivity, and at worst, malicious bullying. It doesn't really fit in with most of the rest of her characterization.

Actually, now that I think about it...

Hanako is associated with Lily pretty strongly. I wonder if this is some collateral damage from that feud? Not proposing this to excuse her actions here (or previously with the delinquent comment, which was and always has been uncalled for and hurtful), just wondering if that's meant to be her motivation.

EDIT:

Also, now that Hisao is able to somewhat understand Shizune without Misha's help, we see that she's a pretty unreliable translator, confirming what others said earlier in the thread. There's multiple instances here where Misha said something completely different from what Shizune signed. She is aware that Hisao knows some sign language now, so it's possible she's being less faithful because of it, but there's no way to tell for sure unless she admits it at some point.

Also also, Hisao's blowup at the end is completely unwarranted. IMO, he's the one being an rear end in a top hat there. That's not the kind of secret you hold over someone who's supposed to be your friend.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I waited a while before responding to make sure this wasn't depression talking (BTW, hi, depression and ADHD here), but even having to ask that question is its own answer. So, I think it's for the best for myself and the thread in general. I'm checking out here. Sorry for stinking up the place. For whatever it's worth, I'd say to keep going with Shizune's route. Hopefully without me around it'll be less volatile.