Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Don’t talk to me or my son ever again. Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Games where when they had to tutorial, they just casually jumped out of the fourth wall. Like the Pokemon NPCs playing on Game Boys in universe, telling you to press START to open the menu. Or the voiced conversation at the beginning of RE4 where Hunnigan tells Leon she's sending over a playing manual

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

b_d posted:

plugging a game into the game genie into your snes.

It's a bit pointless but you can stack the game genies on top of each other if you had two.

All it did was allow you to double the amount of codes you could input.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

StandardVC10 posted:

Games where when they had to tutorial, they just casually jumped out of the fourth wall. Like the Pokemon NPCs playing on Game Boys in universe, telling you to press START to open the menu. Or the voiced conversation at the beginning of RE4 where Hunnigan tells Leon she's sending over a playing manual

You mean every Metal Gear game?

"Hey Raiden, press the action button to climb that ladder".

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Sham bam bamina! posted:

pandering crap like redout
have to take this back, whatever trailer or footage i saw before made it look like it very specifically wanted to be wipeout hd but i just watched some volcano race on youtube and it's definitely not that and looks badass, if anything it's closest to extreme-g iii and f-zero gx but it's really its own thing. sorry redout you're cool and i don't miss this gaming trend anymore.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

CyberPingu posted:

It's a bit pointless but you can stack the game genies on top of each other if you had two.

All it did was allow you to double the amount of codes you could input.

I remember daisy chaining 2 or 3 together because it took every code available to beat Back to the Future. Even with game genie you get only one shot at the final level.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Not sure if they're disappearing or just uncommon

When you beat a game once and then the main menu screen changes

When the sequel checks for a save file from a previous game and updates stuff if you have one, not stuff like story choices in ME but smaller stuff. In No More heroes I did all the collectibles and it adds a bunch of lucha masks to your apartment. They're in NMH2 and I thought it was surprising they made gathering them all the standard design but turns out it checked for my NMH1 save file and updated it accordingly in 2.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

When the sequel checks for a save file from a previous game and updates stuff if you have one, not stuff like story choices in ME but smaller stuff. In No More heroes I did all the collectibles and it adds a bunch of lucha masks to your apartment. They're in NMH2 and I thought it was surprising they made gathering them all the standard design but turns out it checked for my NMH1 save file and updated it accordingly in 2.

not too many doing the story thing either, although i think that was mostly just mass effect and the witcher. if cdpr ever actually makes witcher 4 i sort of doubt they'll carry it forward.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

Hollow Knight did this and it was cool

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

MGS2 did this, was the first time I ever saw a game do that.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

r-type final 2 has a fun twist on this it lets you change the game's name

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

in that vein i love how when you beat the special world in super mario world it changes the palettes in the whole game and reskins some enemies. it’s cool

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

When you put an original Game Boy game in the GBC you could press the arrow buttons and A/B to change the colour pallete of the game.

That was cool, but ultimately pointless.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Doing nothing in side scrolling platformers and the characters getting bored and doing silly animations.

In the Simpsons Arcade game if you don't move eventually a little finger comes out and flicks you along the screen doing damage to you

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

CyberPingu posted:

When you put an original Game Boy game in the GBC you could press the arrow buttons and A/B to change the colour pallete of the game.

That was cool, but ultimately pointless.
iirc a lot of those colour schemes were intended for specific games and if it recognized that you'd put in that game it'd switch to that colour scheme automatically

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

CyberPingu posted:

Doing nothing in side scrolling platformers and the characters getting bored and doing silly animations.

In the Simpsons Arcade game if you don't move eventually a little finger comes out and flicks you along the screen doing damage to you

In Warcraft if you keep clicking on an orc for no reason he eventually gets frustrated and says, “stop poking me.”

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When was the last time a solid RTS came out? I miss those.

I'm talking c&c/starcraft/warcraft level goodness

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Mekchu posted:

Company of heroes 2 is free on steam right bow

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Mekchu posted:

Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak is really good, that was back in 2016

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

apropos to nothing posted:

I miss more games being set in one place. Some still do it but I liked the long rear end games that are just set on a house like og resident evil. Would be so cool to have more games with modern tech that just simulate a big rear end building like a hospital or something you have to explore but also not just those walking simulators

ohhh like grabbed by the ghoulies

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

lmfoa

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

I miss more games being set in one place. Some still do it but I liked the long rear end games that are just set on a house like og resident evil. Would be so cool to have more games with modern tech that just simulate a big rear end building like a hospital or something you have to explore but also not just those walking simulators

This is why RE7 is the best RE.

I do miss how inscrutable games were. Shoving a cassette into a C64 and just having no loving clue

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Simiain posted:

This is why RE7 is the best RE.

I do miss how inscrutable games were. Shoving a cassette into a C64 and just having no loving clue

Its why 2/3rds of RE 7 is a good game.

Then the boat tanks (heh) the whole thing

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

That boat section is abjectly miserable and I have no idea what they were thinking

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

That boat section is abjectly miserable and I have no idea what they were thinking

I think they ran out of ideas after the Margaurite fight tbh. Lucas' fun house was disappointing because realistically the variation of enemies in RE7 blows and by the time you get to the fun house you are bored of seeing moulded, the 3rd Jack fight was bad and then after that it falls off a loving cliff.

Realistically i would restructure the game with:

House leading to Jack fight in Garage
Rest of house but outside is open. Basement is locked, first section of basement key is in the house somewhere,
Fun house to get part of the basement key
Margaurite section & fight to get part of the basement key,

Jack fight in basement

Straight to the labratory bit, gently caress the boat section

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

EmmyOk posted:

i like this but only when it's once. fire emblem awakening made you beat the game five times on the hardest difficulty full of cheap bullshit to get the full new picture and that just blows

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

save files carrying over into other games

suikoden, baldurs gate, wizardry

its cool to play through a series and see your characters in there the whole time

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

what's the longest life for save files carrying over from game to game? pokemon maybe? with all the right equipment, you could, in theory start a file on the original game boy pokemon and carry stuff over all the way to the current generation, right?

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt
you can't bring gen 1 or 2 into 3 but you can bring 3 to 4 then 5 and so on

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bicyclops posted:

what's the longest life for save files carrying over from game to game? pokemon maybe? with all the right equipment, you could, in theory start a file on the original game boy pokemon and carry stuff over all the way to the current generation, right?

wait what? you could do that?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Mekchu posted:

wait what? you could do that?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sex Tragedy posted:

ah. probably still the longest running, though

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

all the way from gen 1 you say?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
i think you can port stuff from gen 1 & 2 to the 3ds generations via the virtual console releases

Bicyclops posted:

i think the wizardry series lets you theoretically take a party from the first game all the way to the eighth*, covering some twenty years of wrpg nonsense. i think there might be a few stat/inventory wipes along the way though, in the name of some vague form of balance

(* the fourth one has a different protagonist and is mostly just an experiment in torturing people, so you can't import to or from that game)

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

I know it's an older game but Hotel Dusk fits this perfectly

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad

Mekchu posted:

Age of Empires 4 is on the way and it looks p fire. 2 has also gotten like 4 expansions in the past like 5 years out of the blue as well.

InternetOfTwinks fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 31, 2021

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

its cool to play through a series and see your characters in there the whole time

I've only played Wizardry 6-8 but imported a full party across the three and going from generating some DOS losers that frequently lost fights with rats to ascending with them at the end of Wiz 8, dropping off a certain ring along the way, was one of the most memorable gaming experiences ever

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

man I wish my wiz 6 file hadn't corrupted in the final dungeon

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Wizardry kicks rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartlancer
Nov 18, 2003

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

quest for glory