Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
op how do you deal with movies that are 24 fps but assume there will be motion blur & look choppy when there's no motion blur

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Maybe the cgi was done at a different framerate or something

One scene that stuck out particularly was when the t-rex was sniffing on the car and turning its head and stuff. There was a super obvious spring-back when it stopped like it was just a big weight on a hydraulic lift (which it was). I guess it was just a frame in the original but when interpolated it got really noticeable. The CG stuff would have been animated more smoothly.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

The Bloop posted:

These are the same people that watch shows at the wrong aspect ratio and seem genuinely not to notice that everyone looks like they're in a funhouse mirror

you're wrong

I've never noticed this framerate smoothing thing but I absolutely do notice when things are in the wrong aspect ratio, because uh... it's obvious? whereas having more frames just means it is less stuttery i guess. can't see why i would notice the absence of stuttering, much less notice it and think "this is an OUTRAGE"

the last time there was a thread like this in GBS i posted the same thing and some guy got on my case like "lol i bet you watch the fullscreen versions of movies grandpa" or w/e

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i remember seeing the hobbit in theaters in 3d at 60 fps and it gave me a headache and then i fell asleep because it was so boring

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I only tolerate slide shows and planetariums.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Hammerite posted:

lol i bet you watch the fullscreen versions of movies grandpa

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Mooey Cow posted:

One scene that stuck out particularly was when the t-rex was sniffing on the car and turning its head and stuff. There was a super obvious spring-back when it stopped like it was just a big weight on a hydraulic lift (which it was). I guess it was just a frame in the original but when interpolated it got really noticeable. The CG stuff would have been animated more smoothly.

The part where the TREX finally catches up the Big rear end Latina Teen hasn’t aged well either. You can totally tell the hoverboard is fake.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

i saw the remastered imax version of 2001 and it was the wrong aspect ratio <:mad:>

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

The Bloop posted:

These are the same people that watch shows at the wrong aspect ratio and seem genuinely not to notice that everyone looks like they're in a funhouse mirror

My wife is one of those people it drives me insane.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
why doesn't anybody make a 4:3 4k tv wtf

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hammerite posted:

you're wrong

I've never noticed this framerate smoothing thing but I absolutely do notice when things are in the wrong aspect ratio, because uh... it's obvious? whereas having more frames just means it is less stuttery i guess. can't see why i would notice the absence of stuttering, much less notice it and think "this is an OUTRAGE"

the last time there was a thread like this in GBS i posted the same thing and some guy got on my case like "lol i bet you watch the fullscreen versions of movies grandpa" or w/e

[obvious thing] is obvious and you're a moron if you don't see it

I've never noticed [other obvious thing] though so only morons must complain about it

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I watch all of my movies at double speed so I get 48fps.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

chaosbreather posted:

I agree, OP. the whole thing is actually super interesting. There is almost nothing identical to cinema tech 80 years ago: new projectors, new mediums, new sound systems, way more colours, way more clarity but 24fps seems somehow more central to calling something 'film' than actually being shot or projected using film

lol, my man, no one invented new colors in the last 80 years

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Dignity Van Houten posted:

Remember when "all the colors of the rainbow" was a saying?

LMAO you ever LOOKED at a rainbow? It hardly even has any! Think about what a poo poo world it was before we got all these new ones and you were stuck with those garbage rear end basic hues

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

GIF is the one true format.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Videos are dumb i cant wait to go blind

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Dignity Van Houten posted:

Different display tech results in different colour spaces. Different types of film are included in that - that’s why Polaroids and Kodak photos have a signature ‘look’ to the colour. Modern cameras can capture HDR over a massive gamut. Modern film editing allows colour grading, allowing editors to pick that signature look on a shot by shot basis. Modern display and projection technology can accurately reproduce a much wider colour spaces at higher and more nuanced brightnesses.

The end result is you can see colours in a modern cinema that you could never see 80 years ago, from both a technical and perceptual standpoint. Colour grading has changed the visual language of filmmaking irrevocably, too, just look at superhero orange and teal.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Wait until you discover 144fps OP

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I've always wondered why the plant signing in Little Shop of Horrors always looked so fluid when apparently it was filmed at 12 fps

Basically the thing weighed like three tons and it was impossible for the puppeteers to move it fast enough to lip sync to Levi Stubbs' music so they had to film it in slow motion and then speed it up later.

But why doesn't it look like poo poo? I'd think 12 fps would look terrible but since my kids watch the movie 50 times a day I have to say it looks flawless. What kinda fuckery is going on?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

your ears can't hear higher than 30 Hz anyway so why bother

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
itt: husband prepares argument for wife on justification for 100000 pixels, doesn't get sex afterwards

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

So is a 60+fps film guaranteed to look like poo poo? I mean I definitely agree with how lovely and non-filmic it can look in some examples, but is there anything you could to to make it better than traditional film?

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Probably not since your brain is accustomed to seeing 24fps films for 20/30/40+ years and a difference in framerate with a new amount of blur per frame for the same "movement speed" will be noticeable.

Maybe a fully CG movie or something could work.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

anything under 480fps looks like dogshit, to me

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Roumba posted:

Probably not since your brain is accustomed to seeing 24fps films for 20/30/40+ years and a difference in framerate with a new amount of blur per frame for the same "movement speed" will be noticeable.

Maybe a fully CG movie or something could work.

Spoiler alert it doesn't work. In 60fps live-action superheroes look like cosplayers and CGI looks like a lovely game cutscene.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Are movies still primarily shot on film these days? Is it like 60/40? Or is it like barely anything any more?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

other people posted:

why doesn't anybody make a 4:3 4k tv wtf

240p is all you need

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I just sawed the edges of my tv off

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Are movies still primarily shot on film these days? Is it like 60/40? Or is it like barely anything any more?

I think Tarantino still does. Something about how using the same type of lens and film stock in different cameras will give you the same result, while digital camera sensors will be inconsistent.

Why does CGI in movies always look so bad? Instead of recasting a dead actor they have an army of animators make a human body double that looks like a botched taxidermy.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I watched a VHS of City of Angels in 120hz and it was really jarring how it made everything look like it was shot on a lovely 90s consumer camcorder.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

The Bloop posted:

The worst is when the broadcaster fucks up the aspect ratio between the source material and what they're sending out so the picture is hosed up no matter what you do.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

The Bloop posted:

[obvious thing] is obvious and you're a moron if you don't see it

I've never noticed [other obvious thing] though so only morons must complain about it

i didn't call anyone a moron though? i mean I can do, if you want.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

The worst is when the broadcaster fucks up the aspect ratio between the source material and what they're sending out so the picture is hosed up no matter what you do.

Disney plus cropped all the Simpsons episodes to 16:9 so you couldn’t see that Duff, Duff lite and Duff dry all came from the same pipe

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

That loving Sned posted:

Disney plus cropped all the Simpsons episodes to 16:9 so you couldn’t see that Duff, Duff lite and Duff dry all came from the same pipe

The gently caress is this.

Just burn it all down.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

you haven't really experienced short fat people until you've lived with a 21:9 ultrawide tv

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Just lol if you haven’t evolved beyond screens yet

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

r u ready to WALK posted:

you haven't really experienced short fat people until you've lived with a 21:9 ultrawide tv

oh no the most aryan man in the world got squashed

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Boomers watching Friends in 21:9, looks right to them. People are supposed to be that wide and enormous New York flats are affordable

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Lol that woman in the back is built to swing a mining pick at some kind of orcs possibly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

If there's just one person on screen at first it's like wait what if they really look like that am I being a bigot

Then it's like no everything is like that ugh

What I'm saying is that some real people are in a different aspect ratio and that's ok