Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Are movies still primarily shot on film these days? Is it like 60/40? Or is it like barely anything any more?

Very few films are shot on film:

https://www.kodak.com/en/motion/page/shot-on-film

Kodak is the sole producer of color motion picture film left in the world. ORWO is the only other producer of motion picture film, dealing exclusively in B&W (B&W film is an order of magnitude easier to produce than color film).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

The worst is when the broadcaster fucks up the aspect ratio between the source material and what they're sending out so the picture is hosed up no matter what you do.

https://twitter.com/BeerStix/status/1110066298044801024?s=19

https://twitter.com/BeerStix/status/1110067129590734851?s=19

https://twitter.com/BeerStix/status/1110067546844262400?s=19

https://twitter.com/BeerStix/status/1110070943811018752?s=19

https://twitter.com/BeerStix/status/1110073955786936320?s=19

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
My favorite is when Buffy is looking around for her unseen enemy but in HD he’s standing RIGHT THERE

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

That loving Sned posted:

Disney plus cropped all the Simpsons episodes to 16:9 so you couldn’t see that Duff, Duff lite and Duff dry all came from the same pipe

you can fix this btw, i can't remember offhand but it's a setting in disney+ somewhere to display it in 4:3

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Mozi posted:

you can fix this btw, i can't remember offhand but it's a setting in disney+ somewhere to display it in 4:3

They recently added it only after fan outcry.

I have a Plex server for most of my TV show watching and a while back I tried to download all the Simpsons episodes (from the good seasons, 3-11) and every single one looked like dog poo poo. They were well over a gig per episode which is nuts for a 480p 4:3 cartoon, and yet they still looked like poo poo. I think they were ripped from FX or whatever app at the time had them. I can't explain it but they all had this hideous fake 1080p upscaling thing on them.

I decided to stop being lazy and just rip the DVD box sets I had in my garage and oh God I was so glad I did that. Not only to they look a million times better and have all the commentary tracks but they took up like a third of the space.

Keep your physical media, folks.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah it was actually FX that did that horrible upscalling to The Simpsons. When the SimpsonsWorld site could be used to watch any episode, you either could watch in 16x9 1080p with the weird cropping and upscaling or untouched 4:3 480p and the video quality had visible generation loss. Disney not only gave the fans what they want but digitally cleaned up the original 4:3 versions, so what you're getting is a 4:3 image upscaled to HD, not 480p.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I decided to stop being lazy and just rip the DVD box sets I had in my garage and oh God I was so glad I did that. Not only to they look a million times better and have all the commentary tracks but they took up like a third of the space.

Keep your physical media, folks.

:hfive:

Ripping the DVDs also means you get all the bonus content. Do streaming services ever give you all of this stuff?

I mean, who hasn't recovered from a hangover watching the making of The Lord of the Rings.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

One important distinction that we've been skipping around:

- 24 to 60 fps interpolation done in the TV: Probably always bad.
- Filmed and then viewed in 60 fps: Feels weird for fiction, but good (even great) for some things.

I can imagine a 60fps found video style movie working, though it would be hard - it walks a knife edge between "feels like genuine amateur footage of the plot happening" and "feels like amateur footage of actors performing". I can not imagine the same movie filmed in 24 fps and interpolated to 60 being a good idea.

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
I watch tv with frame smoothing on. Makes me feel like I'm a part of the production. Sometimes I'll sit there holding a big pole up in the air and pretend I'm the boom mic operator

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Computer viking posted:

One important distinction that we've been skipping around:

- 24 to 60 fps interpolation done in the TV: Probably always bad.
- Filmed and then viewed in 60 fps: Feels weird for fiction, but good (even great) for some things.

I can imagine a 60fps found video style movie working, though it would be hard - it walks a knife edge between "feels like genuine amateur footage of the plot happening" and "feels like amateur footage of actors performing". I can not imagine the same movie filmed in 24 fps and interpolated to 60 being a good idea.

Are there any major motion pictures that were filmed in 60 fps that remained 60 fps on the blu ray release? I'd love to check one out to see what it looks like.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
I like to lower the fps in movies to single digits so I have more time to study and ponder deeply on each frame so that I can make long nonsense takes on the internet.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
It turns out the reason we got so few movies over the last year is that all the frame factories in China were COVID hotspots for months, and they couldn’t produce enough frames for global consumption

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Not to sound like a drama queen but I legit get almost outright dizzy when that motion thing is turned on during movies on newer TVs. Like I can go on the Scrambler ride, I've been on tiny boats in the middle of the ocean, and neither bother me, but I feel like I'm drunk when that poo poo is turned on on tvs.

Unfortunately before buying my very expensive oled I didn't know about oleds and their judder issues. If the motion blurring thing is turned off, you see a poo poo load of judder. Basically it looks like a huge jerky motion and like tons of frames are missing, particularly in scenes where the camera pans horizontally. The only way to get rid of it on an oled is to turn on dejudder and deblur which is that soap opera bullshit.

My 2008 featureless plasma doesn't have this issue (I just checked) so I guess plasma is still better than oled? At least for movies.

Panasonic Plasma TVs were the height of TV technology. Worth theirs (heavy) weight in gold these days!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Pawn 17 posted:

Panasonic Plasma TVs were the height of TV technology. Worth theirs (heavy) weight in gold these days!

Oh I know! In my living room I still have a Pioneer plasma from 2006(!) and it's still running great. Still beats the piss out of any LCD TV released even today. In the bedroom I have a 50" Panasonic plasma that legit makes me stare at it in awe every time I turn it on.

I have two 42" Panasonic plasmas that I have no idea what to do with. I store them in my garage but I refuse to get rid of them, even though I literally have no where to put them any more.