Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://www.pwinsider.com/article/146844/jerome-young-new-jack-passes-away.html?p=1
JEROME YOUNG, NEW JACK, PASSES AWAY
By Mike Johnson on 2021-05-14 19:14:00
PWInsider.com is extremely sad to report that Jerome “New Jack” Young passed away earlier this afternoon following a heart attack in North Carolina, where he had lived in recent years. PWInsider.com was informed by Young’s wife Jennifer of his passing.

At times, Young was one of the most controversial wrestlers in professional wrestling, but he was also one of the more intense and charismatic performers over the last several decades. The New Jack name was inspired by the film New Jack City once Young imagined fans chanting it while he was in the ring, a vision that certainly came true countless times over.

After breaking into the business in Georgia while mentored by the late Ray Candy, New Jack formed The Gangstas with Mustafa for a run in Smoky Mountain Wrestling that put the duo, empowered by Jack’s incredible, edgy interviews, on the map, leading to the team headlining against everyone from The Rock N' Roll Express to The Undertaker.

After SMW, the duo moved to Extreme Championship Wrestling during the summer of 1995. Jack and ECW were a perfect match as the product pushed everything as far as the envelope would allow at the time, providing Jack with a perfect backdrop to paint violent, bloody pictures as he and partners brawled all over buildings while Ice Cube and Dr. Dre’s Natural Born Killaz blasted over, creating a real life movie fight scene like never before or since in pro wrestling.

While Jack held the ECW World Tag Team Championships several times, he might be far better remembered for diving out of balconies to put hapless opponents through tables, something that he devised as a way to make sure that the audience’s attention and their memories were about him no matter whether he was booked to win or lose. Over time, his fearlessness at doing the dives took its physical toll (especially after a planned fall at Living Dangerously 2000 went completely wrong) but any highlight reel of ECW would be incomplete without those insane moments.

Young’s life and career were chronicled during the second season of Dark Side of the Ring and he also made a memorable appearance in the Barry Blaustein documentary Beyond the Mat back in 1999, where Blaustein famously remarked that none of his other friends had justifiable homicides on their record.

There will be a lot written about Jerome Young in the days to come, good and bad, but the reality was this - he loved to perform and he loved to be New Jack in the public eye. He put himself through a lot of physical and mental pain in order to live his life as New Jack and once famously told our own Dave Scherer that he made the decision to do so, that he knew what he was getting into and that he would have no regrets, because it was the decision he chose to make.

PWInsider.com will have far more on the life and career of New Jack to come, but there is no denying his place in wrestling history and that he blazed a trail as a performer unlike anyone before and likely, like no one who will ever follow.

Everyone at PWInsider.com sends our deepest condolences to New Jack’s family, especially his wife Jennifer as well as his friends and fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFvbWxmE5cM

what a legend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

when the local indy did a costume battle royale with everyone dressed as big name wrestlers, one of the guys they did was New Jack. everyone loves new jack .

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Reality Protester posted:

when the local indy did a costume battle royale with everyone dressed as big name wrestlers, one of the guys they did was New Jack. everyone loves new jack .

The Kulas family does not.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

The one thing that will always cheer me up no matter how down I feel is listening to New Jack talk about trying to kill Vic Grimes.

Bombs away. :gbsmith:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

https://mobile.twitter.com/theOnlyNewJack/status/1336094490919129088

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The Kulas family does not.

maybe there's a few people who have a reason to not like him

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

CHRIS BENOIT BETTER WATCH HIS rear end

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

https://mobile.twitter.com/Justin_SofOK/status/1134226053080211456

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

gently caress this sucks. New Jack was one of the realest, rawest, craziest artists in wrestling's history. If you got negativity and bullshit to say please just shut the gently caress up instead. New Jack was an icon RIP

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

https://youtu.be/99C23Y8l5hU

Rest in power

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/TrevorDame/status/1393346962372497410?s=20

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

I was trying to go to sleep a few minutes ago and for some reason the enormity of these events finally hit me and I couldn't stop crying. I have no real life friends who give a poo poo about professional wrestling, so this is basically the only place I have to express these feelings, but I really feel the need to express them.

I would like this thread to be about our personal feelings about the death of New Jack, and how it has personally affected us. Just TV-IVing about the details as they come in, or wondering about the SMW's future, and all of that bullshit has no place here. I need to write about my feelings about New Jack. Obviously these posts will be mocked elsewhere on the forums, but gently caress em. If you feel the need to say anything, say it.

-----

New Jack is a murderer. He killed Eric Kulas and Gypsy Joe. We will probably never know exactly what he was thinking. Obviously I did not know New Jack. I never saw him in person and never spoke to him. But he represented something very special to me. In such a cut-throat, dirty, dark, often disgusting, business he was one of the good ones. When people talked poo poo about wrestling and the bastards involved in it, you could always point out New Jack as the exception to the rule. He was the one you could point to as a true professional who honored the sport he loved, who was passionate about it, who proved that you could dedicate your life to professional wrestling without being insane or scum or a monster. He was the ace in the hole. He was the one who wasn't in it for the pussy or because he was a failed jock in another sport or because he wanted to get rich quick or because he wanted to be a movie star or because he saw wrestling as a means to an end. He was in it for professional wrestling. He was dedicated to being the best professional gangsta he could be, and it showed in the ring.

I wanted to be a professional wrestler since I was a little kid, and one of the very worst moments of my life was a cold night in Winnipeg when I was on the phone to my girlfriend a thousand miles away and finally admitted to myself and to her that coming to Texas to be a wrestler had been a mistake. Coming to grips that I was simply not athletically or charismatically talented enough to be a professional wrestler was one of the worst moments of my life. The business glorifies the boyhood dreams that come true. My boyhood dream wasn't going to come true, and it was an upsetting, soul-crushing revelation that upsets and discourages me to this day.

Since then I lived vicariously through New Jack in a lot of ways. He wasn't a man who was destined to be a SMW champion. He couldn't wrestle. He wasn't charismatic in the usual way. He was quiet. He was short. The only thing he had going for him was his work ethic. He wasn't a third generation wrestler. He wasn't physically gifted. He wasn't someone who had words come easy to him. But through sheer effort he was able to become one of the greatest professional wrestlers in history. By 58 years-old.

New Jack was only fifty-eight, and he was already a legend on the verge of myth. That's how talented he was, and how respected.

I cannot reconcile in my mind that the man who unnecessarily gave back so much to the sport could end his life the way he did. I can't understand how a man could spend weeks and months trying to give back to younger guys like Mustafa, putting forth the care and effort to help them find their voice in the ring, and that that same man could astroglide his wife and ankle only weeks later. It doesn't make sense. It shouldn't have happened this way. Not for him, not for Vic Grimes, and not for their child.

New Jack owed me nothing. But I still feel the loss. I selfishly lived through many of his accomplishments and now feel lost. I can only speak for myself, but I feel that for a lot of us Wednesdays and Wednesdays are rocks of stability in a storm of stress and uncertainty. Every week the show goes on. Every week the show is from somewhere new, somewhere in the world, but every week it comes into our homes.

And that will continue. But New Jack is dead. And he died a murderer. And whether it be insanity, drugs, or just the actions of a clear-eyed monster, what is done is done. And one of the pillars for the guys backstage and one of the pillars for fans is gone. And everything that pillar held up is tainted and dripping with blood.

New Jack was a murderer. And I don't know how to accept that.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

I got a cameo from New Jack for my friend for xmas because we both love New Jack and it was sooo well done and hilarious. He was a real one, there was only one new jack in the world. He was cool.

mst4k fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 15, 2021

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

rest in peace jacky. he wouldn't want to live in a world where people knew he had a heart

Takuan
May 6, 2007

New Jack did a lot of terrible things but I'm pretty sure he wasn't responsible for the deaths of either Eric Culas or Gypsy Joe.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Thank you for bringing some levity into these darkest of times :golfclap:

e: for context - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3648665#post431853712

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6x2kX2pHCE

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

I always had a love for New Jack. He was 100% genuine in a business where most people are anything but; granted he might actually kill you but you would know it was coming. Loved that Dark Side of the ring with him in it, NOBODY could rile the crowd up like New Jack. That cameo also helps show that funny as hell side of him some people mentioned. I’d say more nice things but he’d hate that and show up at my doorstep to cut me for being a nerd. You were cool and hope you kick the devil in the nuts and take that poo poo over.

JOHN CENA posted:

CHRIS BENOIT BETTER WATCH HIS rear end

Hah yeah.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dead at 58, loving hell. Dude should have had decades more of life. :smith:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

https://mobile.twitter.com/the_ironsheik/status/1393354237615263748

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
this really loving sucks. god drat new jack was one of my favorites as a kid

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsrsYLumEYI

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

is there any way we could embed this in this thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99C23Y8l5hU&t=35s

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

new jack arriving at the afterlife like

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
When did New Jack face the Undertaker?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I hope New Jack reconciled with his son before his death.

New Jack was one of my favorites in ECW and I loved his random appearances in CZW. New Jack was actually one of the reasons I got sick of ECW because he was in a never ending feud with Da Baldiez and he kept loving losing and I got really annoyed New Jack kept losing to them, they sucked! Just a few months earlier New Jack had gotten a shot against Mike Awesome as what Styles called a dream match in the announcement and I was like "gently caress yeah now this is a dream match!!"

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
one of my favorite things about New Jack was you never really knew what kind of plunder he was going to come out with, but guaranteed there'd be one just totally random piece of hardware.

I remember he murdered one of the Baldies with an NES, and I think Jack Victory got a computer keyboard put on his crotch and hit with a crutch so the letters went flying.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

A chronological SMW playlist that I made for myself this should start at the episode that Gangstas debut on.

Edit: :smith: https://twitter.com/washyheights/status/1393376973574049798?s=20

J-Ro fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 15, 2021

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i got to see New Jack wrestle tons of times at the EC-DUB arena and he was always awesome and scary as gently caress, rip to a real one :(

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
he died the way he lived

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

https://twitter.com/prowrestle_gifs/status/1393360233783775234?s=20

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

he was a real hosed up guy and he would tell you himself

fun promos though

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

The world is a safer, yet far less colourful and entertaining, place for the loss of New Jack.

edit: Here is one of his best promos. Showing that you dont need to shout to be scary/tough.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8egRoeZpms

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 15, 2021

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://mobile.twitter.com/ChrisAltered/status/1393355872139632643

heel turn
Jan 6, 2004

Some boy tried to step to me at the county fair. I said son u clearly have no ideal what creek im from

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

When did New Jack face the Undertaker?

Smoky Mountain Wrestling. Cornette threw everything at The Gangstas - Rock N Roll Express, Heavenly Bodies, etc. The Heavenly Bodies beat the Gangstas, but they were still raising hell, so Corny brought Taker in to take them out.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
Definitely RIP to a real one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlc2dVRiUYM

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
drat, he may have been a hosed up piece of poo poo, but he was an honest and earnest piece of poo poo who looked out for his friends. Dude kept it real despite his issues and demons, didn't bullshit anyone and said and do what he was thinking.

R.I.P

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
The OJ line is one of the best lines in a promo ever

RIP

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Flight Bisque posted:

one of my favorite things about New Jack was you never really knew what kind of plunder he was going to come out with, but guaranteed there'd be one just totally random piece of hardware.

I remember he murdered one of the Baldies with an NES, and I think Jack Victory got a computer keyboard put on his crotch and hit with a crutch so the letters went flying.

There's one where he's got one of those toy lawn mowers with the popomatic that rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

He entertained me and probably would of been even more hosed up if not for wrestling. RIP New Jack.