Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I don't want to be a Negative Nelly but I thought it was pretty awful. For being a first RPG it sure does have a lot of dumb insta-death attacks and whiffs. And that map design, sheesh. I remember it being bad but I thought maybe I was just misremembering it from when I was a kid.

Oh! I do like that ending screen though, top stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

:ssh: https://www.patreon.com/posts/monthly-events-59843731

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/1478616607299862528

And next month will be FFVI I believe. I've actually never beat FFVII is this a good idea?

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

Doom Goon posted:

And next month will be FFVI I believe. I've actually never beat FFVII is this a good idea?

Well even if it's a bad idea I'm going for it personally. Haven't played this one in literally 20 years at this point, and it looks like there's only one materia I'll be able to use on the whole 1st disc :eyepop:

Anybody able to tell me whether you can find Chocobos without the Chocobo Lure materia? I don't have access to that one with my 'jobs', so if not, I'm potentially locked out of some of the few materia I have access to.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

free Trapt CD posted:

Anybody able to tell me whether you can find Chocobos without the Chocobo Lure materia? I don't have access to that one with my 'jobs', so if not, I'm potentially locked out of some of the few materia I have access to.

Rule #3 specifies that any job can use Chocobo Lure.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

ultrafilter posted:

Rule #3 specifies that any job can use Chocobo Lure.

Ohh thank heavens I must have skipped over that in my rush to get it all started. Thanks, that's a relief. I'll reread the rules more carefully...

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Doom Goon posted:

Final Fantasy VII isn't that hard of a game so I'd say go for it! It's hella good. I've been meaning to replay this for years so I'm excited.

Same advice applies here to people playing FF5Fiesta for the first time, ask questions and you'll be fine

Edit: On second thought, the materia system is rad and locking yourself out of most of it might not be the best way to play it the first time. FF5 probably works better for this since it can otherwise be a bit overwhelming whereas in this case, in my run, the main character will only be able to attack and use items for the first several hours of game which might not be very fun for a first time.

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 5, 2022

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

I got some of the most unfitting classes in a really weird order;
Cloud: WHM
Barret: NIN
Tifa: BLU
Red: TIM
Cait Sith: THF
Cid: BLM
Yuffie: MIM
Vincent: SUM

It's not as totally un-usable disc 1 as a lot of the rolls look to be but I'm not sure who I'll end up using post-Midgar. I guess Tifa with two enemy skills stapled on and then swap her for Yuffie later as Mime's loadout is a flat upgrade to BLU here. Kind of a pain getting SUM and BLM so late as they'll both be lagging AP-wise when I can't use any of their materia early unless I load Aeris out with everything.

EDIT: Wait, why does Thief get Steal-as-Well (Other than purely thematic reasons)? It's not compatible with any of the other Thief materia!

Complete_Cynic fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 5, 2022

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Don't forget that Aerith is set up as a Freelancer; so she can pop on anything you need to get through anything.

I ended up with Cloud/Barret/Tifa as RNG/SUM/MIM, so Aerith is my only person with materia until I get Red XIII (a Black Mage thankfully) at around the same time I pick up Enemy Skill for Tifa and Poison for Cloud (a nice get the Rufus fight!)

*Other notes:
A Mime who get their hands on a Master Command Materia is essentially a better Blue Mage, though that's admittedly fairly late game.

A Ninja gets three support materia (Added Cut, Sneak Attack, and Steal as Well) that can all only be added to a single command: Throw. Throw being an edge-case use at best (at least until Coin is unlocked, I guess). As consolation they also get Double Cut, so there's that.

A Knight gets HP-Absorb, which they can only connect to Morph, which apart from Conformer-equipped Yuffie is not going to get you much HP back.

As noted above, Thief can't actually use Steal-as-Well at all.

Ace Transmuter fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 5, 2022

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
I'm kind of looking forward to using more items than I'm used to.

Stole a bunch of ethers from the train graveyard, and of course the Power Staff, to fund a lot of grenades and potions.

Most people probably know all the following but a few neat things to note for new players below:

In case you're unfamiliar, you'll end up in a train graveyard at one point early in the game where there's this barrel on the west side of the northern screen

Around that barrel there's a rare encounter that looks like this

From whom you can rare steal this weapon for Aeris

The other people in the party at this point have 18 attack weapons, 32 is quite high for quite some time. Also 4 Materia slots is good when she's the only one who's allowed to use materia. There are a few great weapons you can get early from stealing from regular enemies in FFVII. Almost nothing important to steal from bosses as far as I remember but it's been a long time.

You might also notice that she's inflicted with the Fury status. Aeris is actually really good up front attacking and taking a beating. Fury is a status you get from an item called Hyper which lowers your accuracy but doubles the rate in which you get Limit Breaks. Level 1 limit breaks usually require you to take two thirds of your max health fo fill up but with Fury status that turns into one third and her first limit break heals the entire party for half of their max HP, making you basically immortal against weaker enemies. So counter intuitive as it is to stick cover on your healer and have her in the first row in a Final Fantasy game here it works out splendidly.

There are also dragon things all over the graveyard from which you can steal Ethers and just like in FF5 Ether is just another word for 750 gil.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
Btw if you got the steam version for half off like I did here's a mod that removes the stupid rear end looking mouths: https://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14425.msg201973#msg201973

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
In case anyone happens to want to try to make Throw worthwhile, Partisans are the strongest purchasble throwable weapons (78 ATK, 18000 gil); but Nail Bats can be bought from the Lower Junon joke weapon shop after you get the Highwind, and which are way more economical in exchange for only slightly lower attack power (70 ATK, 2800 gil).

Jury's still out if it's just better to throw the money directly instead.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

hell yeah let's go

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Using the same job system, what would the actual classes of each PC in FF7 be?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Ace Transmuter posted:

Jury's still out if it's just better to throw the money directly instead.

Coin does gil tossed / 10 / number of targets, so you just need to do more than 1800 damage with the Partisan to make buying it more, or more than 240 damage to make the Nail Bat more. These are very easily achievable numbers.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Rosalie_A posted:

Coin does gil tossed / 10 / number of targets, so you just need to do more than 1800 damage with the Partisan to make buying it more, or more than 240 damage to make the Nail Bat more. These are very easily achievable numbers.

Sounds good to me

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Grevlek posted:

Using the same job system, what would the actual classes of each PC in FF7 be?

Cloud - Freelancer
Barret - Knight
Tifa - Monk
Aerith - White Mage
Red XIII - Sage
Yuffie - Ninja
Cait Sith - Blue Mage
Cid - Ranger
Vincent - Summoner

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
Hell yeah!

Cloud is Blue mage and Tifa is Mimic so they'll be the ones using this but I needed elemental-fire to survive it so Aeris got to learn

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
For additional fun times, use RNG for the RGB colors of your menus!

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

That is the most important part of any fiesta imo.

So I have no idea what any of these last handful of posts fancy words mean but a bad idea has never stopped me so I'm going to try FFVII I guess!

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
Triple crown :toot:
https://twitter.com/mickrov/status/1485643334571986948
https://twitter.com/mickrov/status/1485706771557761028
https://twitter.com/mickrov/status/1485747773014224897

That Emerald fight was hella fun to figure out. Took me ages and I had to take a trip into the crater to get some cool poo poo to do it without underwater materia. It had to attack Barrett first for example because he was the only one allowed to use HP Plus Materia. He was also allowed to use Mega-All which is why I made the trip into the crater. This gave him Slash-All which helped a lot with the eyes and the eyes shoot a lot wasting a lot of time in a timed battle which obviously isn't great.

Ruby was just a slog.

I used the W-Item glitch to get myself a shitload of sources so Yuffie took 12 damage from Ruby's big attack that isn't precentage based after 4 hero drinks (this doubles your stats so she would have had 510 defense and magic defense, plus armor). The problem was she only did about 3400 per hit through the stupid armor and that fucker has 800 000 HP.

At that point Sepiroth isn't much of a threat.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Ace Transmuter posted:

As noted above, Thief can't actually use Steal-as-Well at all.
Steal as Well does work with Throw (I made sure to get Thief Tifa back quickly because of this). Knight's HP Absorb is bad unless you get Yuffie as a Knight apparently as her ultimate weapon Conformer does damage based on the enemy's level and doesn't 1/8th the damage of Morph. Actually I was getting 1k HP off of it at the very, very end with Knight Cloud but at that rate you're not worrying about HP when you can 9999 lol.

Edit: Real post coming soon but I only had Mime as a super class (no Sage, no Summoner, and no White Mage. Also no Thief) which was a lot of fun actually.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 27, 2022

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

Doom Goon posted:

Steal as Well does work with Throw (I made sure to get Thief Tifa back quickly because of this). Knight's HP Absorb is bad unless you get Yuffie as a Knight apparently as her ultimate weapon Conformer does damage based on the enemy's level and doesn't 1/8th the damage of Morph. Actually I was getting 1k HP off of it at the very, very end with Knight Cloud but at that rate you're not worrying about HP when you can 9999 lol.

Edit: Real post coming soon but I only had Mime as a super class (no Sage, no Summoner, and no White Mage. Also no Thief) which was a lot of fun actually.

Unless something changed Thief doesn't have Throw in the ruleset?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Complete_Cynic posted:

Unless something changed Thief doesn't have Throw in the ruleset?

It got added later on.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Mega64 posted:

It got added later on.
i feel like I'm missing something. That tweet just says Exit and Morph

I checked the rule page, exit and morph are there, throw is not

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Oh you're right, I'm sorry, crossed wires, I meant I rushed to regain Ninja Tifa because Ninja gets Throw+Steal as Well which makes stealing possible. Thief had Morph added which enables Steal as Well.

So, what did I think of Final Fantasy VII as a first time player? Well, this might be a surprise but... I actually kind of, you know, liked it! I think it's my third favorite Final Fantasy so far that I've played. I haven't shied here from my criticisms of other Final Fantasies so that was unexpected. We'll soon see if VI is still up there I suppose!

I will say there were some negatives with it, there's a lot of cringey 90s anime stuff particularly at the beginning (and the localization is very rough). I liked the prerendered backgrounds visually but actually navigating them was a nightmare at times (and in general the map design was weak which I'm guessing prebaking didn't help). I thought those mini-games were... just absolutely awful and outside of Chocobo Racing and both Arenas I didn't touch them after a few earnest tries. After the rollercoaster I became okay with not really getting everything in the game. Oh, and the modified ATB system could be a bit... mushy especially during the end, it's pretty ridiculous how long it takes inputted attacks to pop up sometime without any feedback (because of the change in how the active battle system has less pauses along with interrupts). Ah, and especially for this event, even though he's a beast, I really wish you weren't locked into bringing Cloud with you. There's a Chrono Trigger-like part and then they still lock him to you afterwards which felt like a shame to me. Maybe they should've forced you to pick him during and after the 3-team part but there was no reason for that before. Oh, and I thought Sephiroth as a character was pretty weak, I think earnestly they should've probably made him more of a tragic villain than just so mindlessly edgy (maybe if Hojo was more believable?).

But pretty much everything else I 100%ed, no escaping (though somehow I got 3 flees according to the sleeping man in the cave, maybe pushing outside of battle or Cait Sith's Tranform Slot counts? I could've just forgot to soft reset when doing something). Perhaps the reason for this was that Blue Mage and Mimic were really fun (which I had with my Knight Cloud), enemies often had real weaknesses (even, shockingly, gravity and poison at times) and there were good buffs, and White Wind was its glorious thing (although as a negative to its remedy-like effect it can remove some beneficial Statuses). Slight negative, except for special cases on L4 Suicide Level skills suck without a way to manipulate levels (and who's going to try Ruby Weapon at 59 to use Goblin Punch? At least Emerald is 99 but you have Laser anyway). I mentioned it before but I didn't have White Mage, Sage, Thief, or Summoner (3 of these are like the best) so I had to be creative at times. I was a little surprised because how much over the years that I've heard I how tough the superbosses are, so I thought they'd be impossible with a gimmick team, but in reality I can't imagine how easy they are if you don't have limitations on yourself.

Okay, enough about that, here's the important thing and that's the RNG colors on my menus:

And here's my wins!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqvUZ_YJlec
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHyPlCbEn3c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-whuMpaSBCA

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jan 28, 2022

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Edit: The last time I updated the page it said 57/229 runs with 24 of those being triple crowns. Weirdly enough I didn't see any that did one but not both of the superbosses.

Also, here's an update on further events this month:
https://twitter.com/revenantkioku/status/1488289229675249667

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Feb 2, 2022

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

Doom Goon posted:

[...] So, what did I think of Final Fantasy VII as a first time player? Well, this might be a surprise but... I actually kind of, you know, liked it! [...]

Glad to hear somebody else also enjoyed their first runthrough like this, as it turns out I had misremembered entirely and never even got to Junon as a dumb kid. Was a bit of a wild ride, especially with the PC field texture pack making it impossible to know when to pass through the Northern Crater barriers!! Really thought I was missing something for about 15 minutes there before thinking to disable visual mods. (Would be a useful note for future runs if this ever happens again.)

Monk Cloud really had nothing going on until well through the 2nd disk, which kind of made this a boring playthrough for long stretches. As mentioned above Freelancer Aerith pulled heavy duty, and the Striking Stick tip mentioned above was very helpful; getting Yuffie with Blue Mage made most things after Midgar trivial. I'm not sure that it's possible to get a truly bad selection of jobs, at least when you've got 7 characters to choose from for 2 slots for most of the game and Aerith freelancer for the beginning where you're low on materia and job flexibility.

Definitely interested to see which job selections were more likely to not complete the run. Shame the data seems to be down now?

Carry Armor sucked, but other than that it was a low-friction experience and I was pretty happy being able to get through the game with levels in the low 40s. What a fascinating game.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I really should've looked into the PC versions (I even heard about the mods lately), I was just afraid without a fastforward button I would go crazy from what I had heard about summon animations and Chocobo Racing lol. I hear you on the Monk Cloud, when I was stuck with him as Knight and Tifa (Ninja, much better late game although actually Throw seemed pretty decent when I used it but that's when you get Yuffie) and Barret (Ranger, ugh. And he already has early good long-range weapons! Poison didn't seem useful at the time w/o status effects or healing) it wasn't the most eventful! Then I got Cait Sith and everything was great lol.

I also didn't know a bunch of stuff until I learned it randomly or looked it up, like getting the Fury/Sadness status from items and what they actually did. And boy was I in for a surprise when my Tent didn't rejuvenate KOed characters!

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/1493380655912452096
I got Locke, Edgar, Celes, and Strago. I actually wanted Strago believe it or not so that's good.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Cyan, Celes, Mog, Gogo

oof

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Terra, Locke, Edgar, Celes

Feels like a pretty bog standard party. Honestly I was kind of hoping for Umaro, he can wreck shop in no magic runs.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Also when you aren't casting spells yourself it's a bit of a wonder how often Runic can save your rear end

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Locke/Cyan/Setzer/Relm

I think I'll pass on this one.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Locke/Cyan/Relm/Gogo. No thank you.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Seems to me like Gogo would be a fantastic character, unless the "spirit" of the challenge limits him to only using actions from your current group.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
I've never beaten FF6, how bad of an idea would this be?

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Man with Hat posted:

This ruleset is less "Four Job Fiesta" and more "Freelancer-Only Run".
"Each character gets exactly one esper they can use" is a much better Fiesta equivalent for FF6 imo.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Schwartzcough posted:

Seems to me like Gogo would be a fantastic character, unless the "spirit" of the challenge limits him to only using actions from your current group.

I think the bigger issue is that you can't actually get him until very late in the game.

Man with Hat posted:

Terrible, tbh. If you want to play a good and fun FF6 challenge, play Brave New World normally instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

zzMisc posted:

I think the bigger issue is that you can't actually get him until very late in the game..

You can recruit him as soon as the airship is gotten, so I guess it depends on if you consider that very late or not.