Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Silence definitely hangs around; my no750 this time was a solo MK with a Reflect Ring who set it and then AFKed with autobattle on.

It's probably viable with a dual Mage Masher NIN or (scraping the bottom of the barrel) two of anything but MNK or WHM, one each; once you have Silence proc on the initial attack action it would be likely to recast before falling off.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Dee dah dah, nothing to see here, just Exdeath:
https://twitter.com/Ooooiwocha/status/1461301109482409987

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Found some more facts in phoenix tower, most bad.

First the good one. Magic Pots seem to flee after one elixir.
Roulette can bat a dragoon out of the sky dead.
Enemies in the tower might just choose not to die, I've had a couple fights that went WAY too long, one I eventually decided to scan the lamia one and found it was at 0HP

This one is the worst, and its obviously not exclusive to phoenix tower but the lack of save points to top off was where it became obvious.

Casting with the gold hairpin seems to credit you back half your casted MP. This means that while the UI shows that you can cast a spell, if you don't have enough to cast the spell without the hairpin, the spell fails.

e: thinking about this more, it seems like the refusal to die happens when you can't cast due to the gold hairpin. So a single syldra would be enough to kill, but since the game wants you to cast the second and it fails the enemies "live" through it.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 20, 2021

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

• Like the double Chicken Knife bug you can accidentally skip Calofisteri with quickloading.
  • !Iainuki is slower.
  • Something about Odin I wasn't really interested in (how it functions as Summoner).
  • !Throw shurikens now weapon row matters (expect on back row okay weapons) :wtc: . Matters on enemy's row too. Apparently Chicken Knife doesn't suffer its usual penalty? (Side note: Goblin Punch untested)
  • Mid/top (Grand Cross) of NeoExdeath might be Back now?
  • Glitch in pyramid with Aspis where if they touch you after opening a treasure you don't get it and the chest stays open.

If I ever get back to my run I have one common glitch I can test upcoming iirc. I should test it on Advance first which is kinda a pain.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Uh, you can get Magic Lamp before Antlion :confused: I just did that accidentally crossing Torna Canal on Boko, something you definitely weren't able to do. There's even some strong monsters up there in case you messed up prepping Beastmaster and some messed up mountains near Lix.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Nov 23, 2021

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Oh, I also noticed that Reflects only attack the caster (which apparently is good and bad. No more bouncing Hastes on Reflect Ring wearers unless its the caster but at least now you know where it'll hit). I also noticed Lenna isn't knocked out after Melusine. And Surgate Castle only partially changes in World 3, the purple mage doesn't leave which makes it impossible to get the Cabin there lol.

Apparently there's also some funky stuff with the map changing after the Walse Tower sinks, someone posted the island visible from the Black Chocobo and also mentioned the stones/meteors around ExDeath's seal are different than they should be.

I asked on Discord, Roulette when enemies use it in other versions don't target dead characters (you can check by equipping a Bone Mail on somebody dead), unlike Blue Mages where it will trigger on them (leading to the Dead Max HP character, at least in the GBA version I can't remember if that's different). I tried it on Pixel and after an enemy finally hitting 6 times on a downed Bone Mail user it just Missed every time (I tried it more than once because Roulette is 99).

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

New patch!

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Noooo they reduced dash from 8x speed?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Doom Goon posted:

Oh, I also noticed that Reflects only attack the caster (which apparently is good and bad. No more bouncing Hastes on Reflect Ring wearers unless its the caster but at least now you know where it'll hit).

Sound real bad against crystals. Like run ending bad.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Overall it sounds like the GBA version is still the right choice for most Fiesta runs.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

ultrafilter posted:

Overall it sounds like the GBA version is still the right choice for most Fiesta runs.

Depends on how the mod scene ends up.

If someone makes a Project Demi for PR I'll use that for my Fiesta runs every year without fail.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

DalaranJ posted:

Sound real bad against crystals. Like run ending bad.
I'm blanking on this one, how so?

More stuff I found, they fixed like Hermes Sandals and stuff redoing after revive in the second path but Mirage Vest doesn't have the weapon switch reapply glitch (nor does it reapply on revive, but it never did in all fairness). So, glitch fixed.

I also found that Lamia's Tiara doesn't work with Dancing Dagger :(

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Doom Goon posted:

I'm blanking on this one, how so?

I've never been in this situation before in an actual run, but my assumption was that extremely low damage teams could rely on the wind and fire crystals to help them rush down earth and water, which you can't do if the reflect always hits the caster. Plus an extremely low damage team wouldn't be able to out damage fire or wind since they'll heal themselves every cast.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Just beat it. I think that dragon power from mix doesn't work. Scanned and showed level 50 after they were laid out, yet singing does show level ups. Damage didn't show right.

Sword Dance caused a hard lock on killing TED, assuming it was since I was dual wielding and the combat script didn't like to wait til the second stab came in.

Lenna doing mime stuff hosed things up on the second attempt. She decided to mime a magic lamp use from earlier in the fight, then decided to mimic a song? Game didn't lock but slowed to a crawl. I decided to just break the wonder wand to restart the fight.

Break Blade kills Majesti and Magic Lamp Odin kills Wizard Bones. Seems to be no dummy targets to get in the way of rapid fire.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I see, because enemies do the same thing. For that I guess there's still Fire Ring even if it's not full-proof either (since, first of all, you need to remember to buy before World 2. I wonder if the timing is similar for the crystals now that I think about it?).

More little things I found myself:
  • Phoenix Tower doesn't full heal you at the top.
  • Lenna has full health after Melusine instead of requiring a revive.
  • Odin doesn't reset the game on death, you can just get a knocked-down sprite animation and can rechallenge him there. Every other time does what you are thinking of though!
  • Like the purple mage in Castle Surgate, the sailor in Carwen doesn't leave, meaning you can't get the useless non-counted Cabin there.
  • Wendigo is odd. I think I saw it shifted on failed !Dances. Also, it doesn't shift when using Quick (only tested Comets), something it'll do in the original mid-Quick. Gogo doesn't counter when using Quick either (tested Comets and physical, unsure about the HP script later as I couldn't get close to that in time).
  • Goblins in the physical side of Fork Tower, apparently Ricard Mages are in the other side lol.
  • You can save in the ship/sub.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Doom Goon posted:

[*]Goblins in the physical side of Fork Tower, apparently Ricard Mages are in the other side lol.

This isn't new according to the algorithm guide. Every floor of Fork Tower has the 16/256 encounter with really early game enemies.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Ah, that does sound familiar. They're not listed in the guide I follow so oopsies.

Some big ones I found:

• Dancing Dagger will only target the top character when Dance procs on team. At first I thought it was self and then I switch it off Bartz.
  • Confused now will do Time magic as well. I've seen Quick on enemies which, well, see below. Tried it on a Blue Mage (only had White Wind and Lilliputian Lyric) but no go for them.
  • Noticed that using Return on Skull Eater doesn't revert it back to a single monster if it multiplies (seems to be a thing with unhiding enemies).
  • Time Mage using Quick on enemy causes a softlock/freeze when they get their next turn. Whoops.
  • See below.

FeyerbrandX posted:

Just beat it. I think that dragon power from mix doesn't work. Scanned and showed level 50 after they were laid out, yet singing does show level ups. Damage didn't show right.

Sword Dance caused a hard lock on killing TED, assuming it was since I was dual wielding and the combat script didn't like to wait til the second stab came in.

Lenna doing mime stuff hosed things up on the second attempt. She decided to mime a magic lamp use from earlier in the fight, then decided to mimic a song? Game didn't lock but slowed to a crawl. I decided to just break the wonder wand to restart the fight.

Break Blade kills Majesti and Magic Lamp Odin kills Wizard Bones. Seems to be no dummy targets to get in the way of rapid fire.
Dragon Power worked for me on both enemies and characters (well, I didn't try LVL attacks on an enemy, just the other way around). !Scan showed the level change on the enemy and a LVL3 Flare worked on my character after getting +20 to equal divisible by 3 (43 -> 63).

I noticed !Sing stats seemed worse than I remember and I'm wondering if something is up (then again, all I have are Chemists and Time Mages lol). Speed is the obvious one as I just don't see lockouts happening on non-slow enemies.

Oh, another big one:
  • !Sing's Hero's Rime didn't used to change level for attacks against it but I double checked and it does now (FFV Algorithm: "When they are a target of an attack, they are still considered the original level [i.e. Scan shows the original Level, L2 Old, L3 Flare, L4 Qrter, L5 Doom work according to original Level].")!

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Huh, that's the opposite for me. Well sing seemed nerfed in general (seems like speed song doesn't snowball like crazy anymore, since hero rhyme seems to increase at a constant rate), since I was able to use libra to see Level increase from singing, yet when I used dragon power and scan it didn't show any change.

Doom Goon posted:

• Noticed that using Return on Skull Eater doesn't revert it back to a single monster if it multiplies (seems to be a thing with unhiding enemies).

I think I saw someone tweet weeks ago that Return on NED just restarts NED on the crystal backdrop so yeah interactions with unhide seems to be the problem.

...*thinks about casting Return on Meatfort Greg or Boat Greg*

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I wonder if it has something to do with certain enemies or Libra? I went out of my way to boost a Blue Mage w/o normal saves and forgot to check Libra lol.

Just be careful if you're going for the bestiary as it doesn't count the earlier forms if you "skip" them. Oh, and I think they fixed some of that in the last patch?

Somebody in the Discord mentioned they saw a Reset not reset Wonder Rod either, which could be a problem if you're doing something repetitive with Reset. I'll have to check Magic Lamp because I wanted to set something up which would make this a pain. And there's no way to quick reset the game mid-battle a la GBA.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Nov 27, 2021

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Doom Goon posted:

I wonder if it has something to do with certain enemies or Libra? I went out of my way to boost a Blue Mage w/o normal saves and forgot to check Libra lol.

Just be careful if you're going for the bestiary as it doesn't count the earlier forms if you "skip" them. Oh, and I think they fixed some of that in the last patch?

Somebody in the Discord mentioned they saw a Reset not reset Wonder Rod either, which could be a problem if you're doing something repetitive with Reset. I'll have to check Magic Lamp because I wanted to set something up which would make this a pain. And there's no way to quick reset the game mid-battle a la GBA.

Reset returns Magic Lamp to the original state. In that attempt Lenna did strange mime things and dragged the game speed into the ground I used Bahamut by !item, she used Leviathan by miming whatever, and then on the Reset attempt had to throw them out again before Odin came out.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

nrook posted:

Last minute toxx:

:toxx:

I'll donate $30 for everyone who, in their first run of this Fiesta, finishes the game faster than the winner of the Run.

I'll count up to 30 runs, although honestly I wouldn't be surprised if nobody does this; it sounds hard!

No job fair allowed, but any ruleset is fine. Game time, but please don't reload previous saves to get free time, and if you wipe, record or estimate the amount of time you "wasted" and count it. You must defeat NED.

Fiesta is long over, it wasn't my first run of the year, and it wasn't fiesta rules, but I just set the SNES World Record (pending verification) so that should count for something :v:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jose Valasquez posted:

Fiesta is long over, it wasn't my first run of the year, and it wasn't fiesta rules, but I just set the SNES World Record (pending verification) so that should count for something :v:

God gamer here

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Jose Valasquez posted:

holy poo poo, congrats

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I can confirm that the glitch where status songs continue to go if the Bard/singer gets hit with Sleep and then knocked out of it doesn't happen in Pixel. In fact, songs don't continue on Sleep. I found where the game stores the Swift Song counters for each character but unfortunately it is not stable from one battle to the next (probably a pointer/free memory thing). Weirdly enough it is 4 Bytes long but tops out well under maximum. In fact, it seems like the game will let it overflow back to 0 (although I didn't do any rigorous testing so it could have a strict evaluator. Also, there seems to be no visible difference in real speed between 256 and anything above it though) but in reality you'd stop singing after boredom way before them. I believe the counter tops out at 100 (hex 64) in the GBA version if that'll give you an idea of its usable max.

Jose Valasquez posted:

drat that warms my heart to see.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Video of the run is up (still pending verification, which takes a week or so, maybe longer for a WR?):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URTLipG9h7E
(Skip ahead to about 25:30 unless you really like cutscenes and not super interesting strats)

This was a fun (although time consuming) process. I started learning the route on 7/15, my first full run submitted to speedruns.com was on 9/2. All in all it took 4 and a half months to go from never speedrunning a game to getting the WR.

The current speedrun route uses a step route to manipulate random encounters, with the exception of most towns/castles there is a strict route you have to keep up for the entire game (if you watch the video that's why I walk back and forth seemingly at random sometimes). You can sometimes recover if you mess up the step route, it's not exact, the important thing is to take the correct number of steps on each screen to manipulate the danger counter. Learning the step route was actually relatively easy for me, it just fits in my brain the right way I guess. By far the thing I spent the most time practicing was menuing, you've gotta switch jobs around 34 times and memorizing each of those and doing them insanely fast was tough.

It's an interesting run because almost all of the RNG happens in the first hour of the run, so after that it's almost entirely execution. (Notable exceptions being in Moore when the Moogle won't get the gently caress out of my way after Exdeath burns everything, Galuf Phoenix Downing himself during the solo Exdeath fight, and stealing a Dragon Fang from a Blue Dragon in Exdeath's castle. The combo of those killed 3 runs in a row this week that were on pace for the WR).

All in all, A++++ would speedrun again, although I'm hoping my record stands for a while so I don't have to (I beat the previous WR by 53 seconds, so I've got some padding).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Congratulations! drat.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Well that's impressive

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Jose Valasquez posted:

:nice:

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Uh, did anyone else notice that the berserk Kiss Of Blessing/Blessed Kiss bug wasn't fixed/was readded in Pixel? Not sure if it works on TED and breaks it but I noticed it worked on Omega/Apanda. Which is kinda good for Omega seeing as how Chemist is seriously nerfed against it (lots of mixes now non-A mixes or mixes that used to attack just not working, etc. No drains or Shadowflares. On top of that because you lose more time than other versions due to menuing/nerfed ticks on fleeing it's not viable really). With back row/Bone Mail/berserk/Dancing Dagger and Chicken Knives/Turtle Soups/double HP/Increased Power/dodging equipment and all that other buffing that goes with that it should be possible to beat Omega on any non-weird team with a Chemist (too many Berserkers or White Mages stalling the fight too long because of their lack of damage).

Not mine, but somebody in the Discord confirmed that Vampire seems to bypass Undead while other drains don't.

Edit: Another bug: Fighting Alte Roits I can't Return after Encircle.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Nov 29, 2021

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

No Kiss of Blessing bug for Tree Ex-Death or Neo-ExDeath (only back part tested) unlike maybe everything else. It applies but not the Berserk.

After death and reviving it's possible to use Goliath Tonic to get another double of original Max HP. Same with Stone on White Hole w/ Bone Mail user. No such luck with Dispel or Remedy (Turtle Shell + Phoenix Down), Panacea untested. I seem to remember this being capable in another version?

Boo, post-game save doesn't keep items stolen from Neo ExDeath/ExDeath. How lame!

And here's my quadruple crown win, just under the wire!:

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Cattail Prophet posted:

Sounds like a good excuse to try a "one set of inputs controlling two instances of the game" gimmick run.

So apparently I'm crazy enough to attempt this (on GBA), but not crazy enough to actually finish it in three weeks while also fitting in Thanksgiving. Both parties are outside Karnak atm; the "real" run, for whatever that's worth now, is mystic/monk/ranger/monk, and blue/dancer/black/blue is what I rolled up myself. I've actually only had one wipe so far, to wing raptor. :v:

I'd still like to see this through eventually, but I picked up BD2 on sale last week, so my job system itch is already being scratched right now.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

They just had to vote for the joke option in the poll.

https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/1466391311569743880

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
When I was a kid, I lost my copy of Final Fantasy Mystic Quest along with my first Gameboy Color when I accidentally left it on a plane.

I got another Gameboy, but I didn't ask for another copy of Final Fantasy Mystic Quest.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
FFMQ is fun, actually

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Yeah, I liked it is a kid, I enjoyed running thru it very quickly in my emulation teen years, and the soundtrack still shreds?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Grevlek posted:

Yeah, I liked it is a kid, I enjoyed running thru it very quickly in my emulation teen years, and the soundtrack still shreds?

It's not a deep RPG by any stretch, but it looks good, sounds good, and the story has a few decent (if dumb) moments. There are definitely worse ways to kill an afternoon.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Ironically, it does its intended job very well of being a good "starter" RPG; occasionally you have to use one brain cell but it's not going to punish you TOO hard if you don't.

So of course marketing on both sides of the pond hosed it, Japan by basically naming it "lol this is what Americans want" and America by painting it in the same THIS IS HARDCORE AND TOO HARD FOR YOUR FRAGILE GAMER FINGERS brush that it painted all JRPG ads in back then.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Dec 3, 2021

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Is this the SNES or GB one?

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Mega64 posted:

Is this the SNES or GB one?

SNES. IIRC the GB "Mystic Quest" is the EU version of the first Mana/Final Fantasy Adventure (US), right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Doom Goon posted:

They just had to vote for the joke option in the poll.

Ace Transmuter posted:

FFMQ is fun, actually
:haibrow:

Ace Transmuter posted:

SNES. IIRC the GB "Mystic Quest" is the EU version of the first Mana/Final Fantasy Adventure (US), right?

Correct.