Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

FeyerbrandX posted:

Ah, I see we've reached the point of the year where the stopped clock is right.
whats wrong with RK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Blue/Bard/Black/Ninja is a good team

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Songbearer posted:

Oh cool Brigador just got a huge update, whoops forgot that the company is ran by a gigantic transphobe and racist never mind (This was a PSA)
what is brigador

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

Oh come now, you can't be angry about a fate you chose.

four berzerkers can be angry about anything they want to be

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Koobes posted:

:toxx:

This is Lenna, Princess of Tycoon. She loves animals, and is one of our 4 party members. She also likes to get poisoned for reasons unknown to even us.

for every boss beaten while Lenna is poisoned, I'll donate $0.10, up to a max of $100. How she gets poisoned is up to you.

I barely noticed she was poisoned at the end of the fight and got the screenshot in time lol

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I like big Bartz and I cannot lie.

Edit: Toxxes! This year I will probably just be doing the T-Rex toxx.

I will donate $5 for every kill of T-Rex in world two that DOES NOT use a Phoenix Down or similar item. Anything goes except something that would kill an undead outright. You can post a video, a screenshot, a tiktok, hell you don't have to do anything but post that you did it.

Limit will be $75.

you would have probably been more difficult if i didn't have ninja scrolls

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

wokow6 posted:

So just got to the Water Crystal, and I unlocked my second Job!

Summoner.

...I'm going to need to get a guide, aren't I?
well none of them are permanently missable so you have room to explore and find them, if you're into that

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Hellioning posted:

No, I'm fairly certain 3 of them are missable.
my bad. The only one of those i actually care about is carbuncle but still

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

wokow6 posted:

Alright, I just unlocked my Fire Job, and it's Beastmaster!

Any advice on how to best make use of it?
ok now you definitely need a guide

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

EVIL Gibson posted:

First time ever playing ffv. thought this would be a fine time to run it through at least once.

First job is thief.

Hey..... I heard this is not a damaging class at the start before the good thief stuff is available.
thief is the utility class. It has like half a dozen abilities designed to make the game less annoying to play, especially for someone who hasn't played before. It's a rough start due to lacking damage but once you get past the second crystal it'll be pretty handy to have.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Zeikier posted:

Decided to stream my first ever FJF run which is also my first ever FF5 playthrough, and made it to the Fire Crystal. I meant to do an FJF way back like 6 years ago and kept putting it off, and the game has been real fun so far, loving that Job system!

...but it sure don't love me! :shepface:

(I do kinda like Berserkers for just being strong walls of meat what smack things tho, I'm a man of simple pleasures)
one berserker is fine, its when you start getting multiples that it becomes a problem outside of specific fights. And beastmasters pretty good

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Blue Labrador posted:

I've got a Mystic Knight for the first time in a run and this is definitely one of my favorite classes now. Messing around with the Ancient Sword, Poison Blade, and Break Blade, and actually using these status effects to good use is unbelievably satisfying.

I'm aiming for a full power Brave Blade because I haven't done so before, and I accidentally ran into a Sandcrawler around the Moogle Forest. Instead of resetting, I just messed around with Break Blade and won for free. This poo poo rules.

I also rolled a Summoner and a Chemist, so the game's just loving broken under my knee already, but I still love learning about just how fun this class is.
is your 4th class knight? Brave blade is a knight sword

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I think i saw someone mention something about contacting RK to get him to merge your old profile into your new profile if you changed your twitter handle at some point. What's the best way to go about that?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

redreader posted:

Should I just avoid the walse castle basement where jackanapes does full party wipes? Can I come back later? I got the stuff from the pots but got owned before I could get out.

Also is there any must-buy stuff if I'm about to become 4 red mages, or will I be able to go to the crystal, turn into red mages (and whatever else I get if possible, I did regchaos so I suspect it might give me another job I can't use yet) and get back to a town without dying? Or should I stock up on stuff now? I have the base spells and a couple of rods for when I have to turn into a red mage, but no caster armour or caster helmets I think.

Galuf had 4hp left on Siren because I did the ghost ship section with only 4 potions, and I managed to defeat Siren :)

edit: currently I am 4 freelancers because yeah, red mage on crystal 1.
you can come back at any point before the well telegraphed end of act 1. There's some good stuff in there. Most people cheese it instead of doing it legit, which can be done immediately.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Loon is currently quad-fiestaing with the help of bizhawk shuffler

https://www.twitch.tv/a_raving_loon

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

What does this even mean :confused:
bizhawk shuffler randomly swaps between different games mid play

Loon is using that to play through four instances of ff5, with one official fiesta and 3 unofficial fiestas

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

He is performing arcane math rituals to determine his unofficial fiesta lineups

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

nrook posted:

Legendary Weapon Charity Sale!

In order to raise money for charity, let's all sell the legendary weapons! I'll be donating $0.10 for each of the 12 legendary weapons sold.

I'm sure Omniscient will be glad for the extra company.
you ever only be able to equip two weapons?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

there's an island near crescent with Prototypes, which drop Dark Matters. I took a few out using Turtle Soups. You don't really need too many Dark Matters though.

Nihilarian posted:

you ever only be able to equip two weapons?

belatedly remembered that my geomancer could equip the bell, but 10 cents to charity is the most use I've ever gotten out of the drat thing anyway

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Third run done, I decided to try something new. Upgrade changes the way a game plays out significantly. I got Black Mage/Berserker/Geomancer/Dragoon. Black Mage/Berserker is normally a good combo but by the time i got the rune axe no one could equip axes and black at the same time. Equip Axes didn't give me enough strength for me to really care, it gave me 700 damage on twintania with a holy lance. After that it was pretty much just Black permanently equipped.

Koobes posted:

This is Lenna, Princess of Tycoon. She loves animals, and is one of our 4 party members. She also likes to get poisoned for reasons unknown to even us.

for every boss beaten while Lenna is poisoned, I'll donate $0.10, up to a max of $100. How she gets poisoned is up to you.

I promise i did not throw an antidote on lenna before snapping a rod over magisa's head

nrook posted:

Legendary Weapon Charity Sale!

In order to raise money for charity, let's all sell the legendary weapons! I'll be donating $0.10 for each of the 12 legendary weapons sold.

I'm sure Omniscient will be glad for the extra company.

Probably should have sold assassins dagger and rune axe too. I ended up using a death sickle on twintania because i was pretty sure they had a better proc rate, and the rune axe just didn't deal any damage. I ended up thief knifing some old men in jail for a few hours, only managed one Dragon Lance so I opted not to try Shinryu. Lenna used a Partisan against NED when she needed to attack, mostly she was on item/black magic duty.

Tomorrow I'll probably look into randomizers and give one a go

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Freelancer wants brave blade even less than knight does. Why bother with 150 flat when you can get apollo harp, dragon lance, maneater and artemis bow to hit Shinryu/NED weaknesses. And if you're fighting Omega and your only damage comes from physicals you'd rather pick a weapon that quarters defenses, like axes. No other fight needs brave blade at all.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

pyromance posted:

If you're fighting omega, you're gonna want 2 chars running bolt3 blade so you wouldn't really want to go with axes on the freelancer.
i was talking in general fwiw, if you have mystic knight then yeah. Brave Blade still isn't worth it, especially since the #2 sword is 140 to brave blades 150

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

redreader posted:

I'm just done getting dragon grass in world 2. Where can I buy fire rings? I saw them in world 1 but didn't have the cash for them. Going to use them for black mage healing.
world 3. You can also steal them from red dragons.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Hackan Slash posted:

Okay theorycrafters, I need some help. Running a team of Berserk/Mime/Samurai/Freelancer is there any feasible way to beat Omega(gba), or should I just resign myself to the fact that this will be a double crown run.

All I can think of is the standard reflect search approach, but I have no good way to get past evasion/defense. I was hoping to break thunder rods, but those can't self target for a bounce and no counter and trying coral swords seems like madness. I wasn't sure if there was a random piece of equipment I was missing or some other strategy.
i think its theoretically possible because axes ignore 3/4ths defense, but you also have to get through 90% evade with 80% accuracy and its really not gonna happen

Maybe you can buy 99 poison rods and try to leak it to death without quick?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Arrrthritis posted:

For NED, I'll be donating $2 for every downed party member when Neo Ex-Death is defeated. (i.e. if Butz is the only party member standing when NED is defeated, I'll donate $6. Or if you have two members standing I'll donate $4, or $2 if you have three party members standing).
Toxx cap: $100

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Koobes posted:

Also there's this. I think there was a toxx for getting this message after necrophobe, but you can't get it after necrophobe because spawned save points dont get it.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Rosalie_A posted:

The Healing Staff automatically hits -- that is, it has no hit determination in its formula --and casts a spell on the hit target. Thus, it triggers React:Fight, but not React:HP Damage. The former is what, e.g. the Unknowns in the Great Sea Trench have; the latter is what Jackanapes has.

That's new. Normally the check for death is performed after each discrete action, which is why !Rapid Fire can skip dead targets (because it's four separate !Fight actions) but multiple attacks in one action (Twin Lance, Dual Wield, spellcasting weapons) wait for the whole thing to finish.

If that's the case, then it means PR is treating each strike as a discrete action to evaluate. This would mean that a Dual Wield Twin Lance !Rapid Fire would be sixteen !Fight actions, not four.
it's probably not practical for any team without a chemist or bard but 16 hits is pretty funny

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

girl dick energy posted:

So, you can use a quicksave glitch to get two Chicken Knives?
it looks like you might be able to get more lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Mega64 posted:

It got added later on.
i feel like I'm missing something. That tweet just says Exit and Morph

I checked the rule page, exit and morph are there, throw is not