Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

lue fought the law and the law won

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

tell us everything thing u know and don't leave out a single detail challenge

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
hey, uh, little grey dudes.

now would be a good time for your whole "nuclear intervention" thing.

just a suggestion, feel free to disregard if you had other plans.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

hollywood bigwig Joe Pera once interviewed an Italian astronaut who said the ideal spacefarer is someone without legs, because you don't use them up there.

Hear me out: What if an astronaut had prehensile feet PLUS locomotive flapping, and was like 1/100 of the weight of a human?

Would probably have to wear a diaper though.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Mola Yam posted:

hey, uh, little grey dudes.

now would be a good time for your whole "nuclear intervention" thing.

just a suggestion, feel free to disregard if you had other plans.
Radar, Blue, and all the others are on it. I don't know what will happen, but I'm helping them however I can.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Tekne posted:

lue fought the law and the law won

Lol

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

SniperWoreConverse posted:

lol wait hold the gently caress up.

according to Oggi Magazine, whatever the gently caress that is (could be italian weekly world news or some poo poo or it could be mega hard hitting investigations for all I know)
Enrico Fermi, famous nuclear physicist and nuclear mechanics guy w/e, was part of the hands-on alien artifact analysis team while under fasc gov authority in italy
He then gets a nobel prize for his work on physics but doesn't go back to italy, instead goes to america cause italy is too mega racist (eh *"little of this little of that" weighing hand gesture*)
15-20 years later after working with the americans to build a hell weapon of insane power, he came up with and popularized this "paradox" saying no aliens are around or else they would totally have already been here and def weren't

lmao

Considering the fermi paradox is bullshit and not an actual paradox at all this tracks

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

platzapS posted:

hollywood bigwig Joe Pera once interviewed an Italian astronaut who said the ideal spacefarer is someone without legs, because you don't use them up there.

Hear me out: What if an astronaut had prehensile feet PLUS locomotive flapping, and was like 1/100 of the weight of a human?

wait, what if you didn't messily crap or piss from annoying dedicated orifices, but simply excreted waste products from your skin? no need to get diaped up, just rinse off, you already need to periodically shower

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

D-Pad posted:

Considering the fermi paradox is bullshit and not an actual paradox at all this tracks

yeah it's such bullshit

if humans had been meticulously combing the stars for a few millenia for all kinds of artificial emissions and come up empty maybe then you could ask whycome we ain't found poo poo, but so far we've been looking around with one eye closed and both arms tied behind our back for like 12 seconds cosmologically speaking

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Langley has whole drawers full of drones. You fly one in, they’ll intercept it. They don’t even get mad about it. They love the challenge. When china floated their balloons over their airspace, it took them a few hours to figure how to send commands to the ballast. Now they can ground the entire spy fleet. 🇺🇸

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

platzapS posted:

In the great book All Tomorrows, the post humans use farts to move in 0 g

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
the fermi ‘paradox’ isn’t bullshit lmao it’s just overused and misunderstood. if nothing else it’s a useful thought experiment

people just trot it out to support whatever view they already want to take

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Hmm sounds like something someone with something to hide would say

Where were you and what were you doing in the 1930s, Mediaphage

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Barry Foster posted:

Hmm sounds like something someone with something to hide would say

Where were you and what were you doing in the 1930s, Mediaphage

look i’m not saying i was born in the 1800s but if perchance such an individual had stumbled into an incredibly advanced device not of this world while a comparatively younger man and used its unbelievable life-sustaining technology to maintain his youth and virility, well

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

there can be only one

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Unless.... many??

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Fitzy Fitz posted:

there can be only one

poo poo that's absolutely fine so long as it ain't me

I'll see out my term but then I'm outta here

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Clearly the aliens are located underneath all the low hanging fruit

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

https://twitter.com/GarryPNolan/status/1781207543446159714

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Houle posted:

Clearly the aliens are located underneath all the low hanging fruit
That seems like a very convenient place for them to hide. Clever.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

got this email this morning

it's a call to action

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

SniperWoreConverse posted:

lol wait hold the gently caress up.

according to Oggi Magazine, whatever the gently caress that is (could be italian weekly world news or some poo poo or it could be mega hard hitting investigations for all I know)
Enrico Fermi, famous nuclear physicist and nuclear mechanics guy w/e, was part of the hands-on alien artifact analysis team while under fasc gov authority in italy
He then gets a nobel prize for his work on physics but doesn't go back to italy, instead goes to america cause italy is too mega racist (eh *"little of this little of that" weighing hand gesture*)
15-20 years later after working with the americans to build a hell weapon of insane power, he came up with and popularized this "paradox" saying no aliens are around or else they would totally have already been here and def weren't

lmao

maybe Fermi was trying in a way to subtly hint to his thick-headed colleagues that even under very conservative estimates we expect aliens to be all over this bitch

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

Tighclops posted:

yeah it's such bullshit

if humans had been meticulously combing the stars for a few millenia for all kinds of artificial emissions and come up empty maybe then you could ask whycome we ain't found poo poo, but so far we've been looking around with one eye closed and both arms tied behind our back for like 12 seconds cosmologically speaking

*searches a couple square degrees of sky in the HI emission band* welp, pack it up boys, i guess we should figure out why civilization inevitably destroys itself with nuclear weapons or engages in silent hostile genocide throught the universe

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Seems like Lue Crew is playing nice with the administration, agreeing not to make waves before the election with the implied promise that "we'll for sure start taking some steps next year" while the DoD continues sniping and trying to dismantle them

loving idiots are gonna get run around by a senile octogenarian and this is getting reburied in deeper and darker places now that they've sniffed out most of the leaks with AARO/whistleblowers

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Rubio sounded pretty annoyed with AARO when Matt Laslo interviewed him the other day. Maybe Ds don't want to push this in an election year, but Rs certainly can

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

In the great book All Tomorrows, the post humans use farts to move in 0 g

thats ren and stimpy silly

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Honestly if the republicans want to use it as an election wedge I say loving go for it

I don't care anymore, if you promise me the truth I will let them stripmine the planet or whatever because they're gonna do it anyway regardless of who holds the executive

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the truth is extra dimensional spirits* (that are not explicitly humans who also are extra dimensional spirits) or future humans or both.

there. you have the truth

* if you want to call these aliens you can , tho it’s hard for me to say personally

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

"the conversation has now shifted to whether or not we'll have a democracy anymore" said the counterintelligence cia son of a gusano piece of poo poo

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

mediaphage posted:

the fermi ‘paradox’ isn’t bullshit lmao it’s just overused and misunderstood. if nothing else it’s a useful thought experiment

people just trot it out to support whatever view they already want to take

It's bullshit because there is no paradox. We haven't searched anything close to enough to declare the existence of a paradox. That was even more true when Fermi first proposed it.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

encucko failmi

Human.Frank
Jun 2, 2022

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Seems like Lue Crew is playing nice with the administration, agreeing not to make waves before the election with the implied promise that "we'll for sure start taking some steps next year" while the DoD continues sniping and trying to dismantle them

loving idiots are gonna get run around by a senile octogenarian and this is getting reburied in deeper and darker places now that they've sniffed out most of the leaks with AARO/whistleblowers
While we're developing the first nuclear weapon in 40 years. Can you imagine moving forward with nukedev when poo poo we don't understand loves to investigate it?
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2024/apr/18/pentagon-speeding-work-first-new-nuclear-warhead-4/

It's obvious corporations run the US Government through manipulation of politicians and the military. Sean Kirkpatrick running AARO and working for Battelle should be enough evidence to prove this to the people. This issue will be lobbed back and forth with coulthart-like puff pieces until after the election. Whichever senile octogenarian is left holding the bag will release more info based on his corporate owner's quarterly profits.

Human.Frank has issued a correction as of 16:17 on Apr 19, 2024

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

D-Pad posted:

It's bullshit because there is no paradox. We haven't searched anything close to enough to declare the existence of a paradox. That was even more true when Fermi first proposed it.

I guess I've always expected the search to be relatively short--if there's an alien weather channel being broadcast, a person with a big satellite dish would immediately know and anyone should be able to see it. Seti has to zoom in on each individual star/galaxy/patch of nothingness?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Inspector Hound posted:

I guess I've always expected the search to be relatively short--if there's an alien weather channel being broadcast, a person with a big satellite dish would immediately know and anyone should be able to see it. Seti has to zoom in on each individual star/galaxy/patch of nothingness?

Yes, not only do they have to "zoom in" but they can only search a small band of frequencies at a time. SETI has only ever searched in a small range of possible frequencies or wavelengths or whatever the term is and they've barely covered a tiny fraction of the sky. A paper came out a few years back and did the math and said if all the possible search area and wavelengths were the equivalent of the earth's oceans than we have searched a bathtub's worth of water and declared a paradox because we didn't find any fish. It's bullshit.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

aliens nuked my rear end??

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
teaching a bewildered child about the birds and the breads

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

my bony fealty posted:

encucko failmi

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

D-Pad posted:

yeah thanks, this is a great example of misunderstanding fermi's question. afaict paradox was added by others decades later. in the time it was just referred to as fermi's great question, which was simply, where is everybody?

his biggest error, if you think that aliens have visited earth was that they would tell us they were here, imo. he suggested that perhaps we were just too out of the way for aliens to come. he expected to find evidence of FTL objects within the decade after they posed the question; i.e., he also thought we just needed to look more.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I'd guess you'd basically want to have a comprehensive survey that includes pretty much everything all the time, and then a mechanism that crunches the data and analyzes everything, right? Which would be great to have, just in general.

So you know, a constellation of james webbs and gaia telescopes continually scanning all directions all over the fuckin place, technicians to operate them, support sats to monitor space weather -- and if you're going to have this then might as well or already also have ones looking at the sun and various in-system objects all the time.

Then a huge secure (so not accidentally corrupted or modified) database for all this info, and a similarly huge machine assistant process thing, actual librarians to help categorize this information, and a huge academic process to recruit and enable researchers to access all of it.

All of this needs to be standardized and made apprehensible to all of these multidisciplinary professionals and everyday morons like me. And if you could do this for something like a generalized space monitoring and analysis program, why would you not do this for history, archeology? Art programs? Why wouldn't you do this for everything? Medicine? Housing? Transportation research and implementation? & ofc the more countries & institutions who get involved the more effective it would be, so...

Even starting a project remotely similar to this in a tiny fraction of its scope would require a massive amount of effort, resources, and expertise which is currently unavailable because it just literally doesn't exist or is hard locked out of our hands or is being redirected to fart app development or other entirely unproductive but profitable bullshit. Like p much anything good or cool, not much is possible with capitalism parasitizing everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Inspector Hound posted:

ish. less about zooming in and more about just being able to aim at the right patch of sky. if aliens use radio signals, it's expected that the square kilometre array will be able to detect an artificial source along the power magnitude of an airport radar within 100ly when it goes online later this decade.