Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

SniperWoreConverse posted:

and then a mechanism that crunches the data and analyzes everything, right

this is one of the biggest problems facing the research right now. jwst, a single scope, produces like 60GB of data to sort through every day. the ska will produce an exabyte of data every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
simply train and fund 1 million additional data analysts :v:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

SniperWoreConverse posted:

simply train and fund 1 million additional data analysts :v:

i’m down! there’s storage and processing hardware too!

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

i guess it makes sense to use a really good computer if you think youre looking for an even better computer

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Not even wit computadahs

Human.Frank
Jun 2, 2022

mediaphage posted:

this is one of the biggest problems facing the research right now. jwst, a single scope, produces like 60GB of data to sort through every day. the ska will produce an exabyte of data every day.

uhh maybe you've heard of a little invention called AI? some people have already used it to find hidden galaxies, exoplanets, and ufos in old pictures. Complaining about data is very blasé these days.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Human.Frank posted:

uhh maybe you've heard of a little invention called AI? some people have already used it to find hidden galaxies, exoplanets, and ufos in old pictures. Complaining about data is very blasé these days.

given this thread, i can't tell if you're joking or wildly underestimating the problem. it's an actual problem. not only in terms of the compute power necessary to process the data, and the models being developed to pour through it, but just being able to hold onto it.

the upcoming vera rubin telescope, expected to hit first light this january, will generate something on the order of 20TB of data every night of observations. this is, again, a single observatory. and you don't want to necessarily have to scrap all that data (because it's too problematic to store) after a single analysis, because what if you figure out a better model to run on the data. and what about sharing that data with other researchers?

so a month of observations from a single observatory will be 600TB. that's hard to deal with now and it's just going to keep getting bigger and bigger as we get more and better telescopes and orbital observatories in place

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I could do it easily, and that's not a joke

Apr 19, 2024

Somebody has issued a correction as of 18:56 on Apr 19, 2024

Apr 19, 2024

Somebody has issued a correction as of 18:57 on Apr 19, 2024

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Tape drives. IBM just announced one that does 580tb per cartridge

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Tape drives. IBM just announced one that does 580tb per cartridge

they did this to gently caress with us since tape drives were replaced with the floppy and then floppies with the CD, etc.
next they're gonna announce a new kind of Floppy Disk that can store a petabyte so we all have to buy new drives again

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

tape libraries are cool but amazon won't even let you in the datacenter to watch 'em. the cloud stole so much from us

Apr 19, 2024

Somebody has issued a correction as of 18:55 on Apr 19, 2024

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVN93H6EuAU

show this to the aliens and maybe they'll come back

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

if aliens existed in an every day common material way, like how humans do in the every day material world (driving to Arby’s, building a pipeline, being buried under a pyramid, brushing your teeth, etc) you would not need precise aim at small points of the night sky to see them. there would be evidence of them in any part of the sky you cared to look at . we don’t see them because they aren’t there in that specific way.

I think more and more earth is special. it is literally the center of that common every day universe and there isn’t anything out there in that every day material sense (that’s intelligent or lives like us in the common every day material way). the only reasons other galaxies exists is because we looked at them. they are kind of like a background wallpaper

I do think aliens probably exist tho , I suppose

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

ok

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

mediaphage posted:

given this thread, i can't tell if you're joking or wildly underestimating the problem. it's an actual problem. not only in terms of the compute power necessary to process the data, and the models being developed to pour through it, but just being able to hold onto it.

the upcoming vera rubin telescope, expected to hit first light this january, will generate something on the order of 20TB of data every night of observations. this is, again, a single observatory. and you don't want to necessarily have to scrap all that data (because it's too problematic to store) after a single analysis, because what if you figure out a better model to run on the data. and what about sharing that data with other researchers?

so a month of observations from a single observatory will be 600TB. that's hard to deal with now and it's just going to keep getting bigger and bigger as we get more and better telescopes and orbital observatories in place

at ~ current commercial rates (assuming ~ $15/TB), that'd be on the order of $110,000 per year of vera rubin data. That's not nothing (and you'd want backups, of course), but that's also comparative chump change against the design & construction costs which iirc were north of $50M.

it's a political problem, not a fiscal or operational one

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

aw frig aw dang it posted:

tape libraries are cool but amazon won't even let you in the datacenter to watch 'em. the cloud stole so much from us

wanna watch the tape machines while listening to voodoo people by the prodigy

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

captainbananas posted:

at ~ current commercial rates (assuming ~ $15/TB), that'd be on the order of $110,000 per year of vera rubin data. That's not nothing (and you'd want backups, of course), but that's also comparative chump change against the design & construction costs which iirc were north of $50M.

again this is one scope, one set of observations, it says nothing about making that data accessible, etc.

like really y’all this is an ops problem for astronomers, they talk about this a lot. i mean sure infinite money solves a lot of issues but there’s technological ones here too.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the number one issue is spiritual

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

euphronius posted:

the number one issue is spiritual

in what sense

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

https://youtu.be/QjVJLO6CK2I?si=4EjZ8PpK0Tfe1VNm

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

we don’t need telescopes, we need theoscopes

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

What we need is for every gun, missile, tank, and jet on this damned planet to be dismantled in front of those that wield them against us.

So long as we, as a species, carry this fear inside of us of what the other might do, we are damned

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

they show a video of this langley drone swarm. imo it looks like normal drones; also the guy who took the video “saw upwards of five” at one time so it doesn’t exactly seem like there were dozens or something

saying they were “round orbs” when viewed from across the bay doesn’t seem that weird imo

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

mediaphage posted:

they show a video of this langley drone swarm. imo it looks like normal drones; also the guy who took the video “saw upwards of five” at one time so it doesn’t exactly seem like there were dozens or something

saying they were “round orbs” when viewed from across the bay doesn’t seem that weird imo

I laughed when Coulthart insisted they not refer to them as drones, as that would be leading, and then he immediately refers to them as orbs

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Ross, what does all point-source lighting look like at a distance

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I laughed when Coulthart insisted they not refer to them as drones, as that would be leading, and then he immediately refers to them as orbs

right? also he kept trying to be like “if these were drones don’t you think you’d be able to hear them”

and the dudes like well these were miles away

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

imagine four round orbs on the edge of a cliff

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

they did this to gently caress with us since tape drives were replaced with the floppy and then floppies with the CD, etc.
next they're gonna announce a new kind of Floppy Disk that can store a petabyte so we all have to buy new drives again

The new invention "hard disk" is a type of advanced spinning platter storage tech based off of previous floppy disk technology.

in theory a couple asteroids would have enough raw material to build the processing plants to build the factories to build the hard drives needed to build the dataservers etc etc. There's for now enough crap in the solar system to entirely move all industrial processes off earth, keep it as a pleasant world or maybe repair it, and keep almost all of the rest system reserved for future study and not hosed up.

but there's no sane way to accomplish it imo. not atm. Plus if anybody decides to break the rules and cheat the system for their own lordly "benefit" for some reason then we're immediately back in the same situation except way worse. Building stuff in space is as appealing as industry because it's basically industry^2, but it's also just as insanely dangerous to society, getting capitalism^2 is going to be idk maybe not super great?

In this super idealized society so much could get done, but getting from here to there would be so difficult. I guess a species needs to have to obtain extreme careful planning and really long term thought and consideration to be effective past the animal stage.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

mediaphage posted:

He mentions 40 at one point but its not part of his video. I think it's also likely they are drones put up by the base itself in response, it's not like China/Russia is going to put big rear end blinking lights that can be seen miles away on the drones they are flying over an American military base. That or they are birds and the aliens don't give a gently caress.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Spergin Morlock posted:

wanna watch the tape machines while listening to voodoo people by the prodigy

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Awesome, thank you.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

What we need is for every gun, missile, tank, and jet on this damned planet to be dismantled in front of those that wield them against us.

So long as we, as a species, carry this fear inside of us of what the other might do, we are damned
A damning of our own making too. :smith:

my bony fealty posted:

imagine four round orbs on the edge of a cliff
:orb: :orb: :orb: :orb:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

captainbananas posted:

Vera Rubin is my sister

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

mediaphage posted:

again this is one scope, one set of observations, it says nothing about making that data accessible, etc.

like really y’all this is an ops problem for astronomers, they talk about this a lot. i mean sure infinite money solves a lot of issues but there’s technological ones here too.

I struggled with the costs involved with just backing up 15 terabytes, although that has subsided somewhat by advances in sizes of external drives. I can't even imagine what those folks will have to contend with.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

Vera Rubin is my sister

hello Ruth

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Um, its Bili? Nobody has called me Ruth in years

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://www.liberationtimes.com/home/new-documentation-reveals-significant-flaws-in-us-governments-ufo-investigation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

https://thedebrief.org/nasa-veteran...earths-gravity/

quote:

Dr. Charles Buhler, a NASA engineer and the co-founder of Exodus Propulsion Technologies, has revealed that his company’s propellantless propulsion drive, which appears to defy the known laws of physics, has produced enough thrust to counteract Earth’s gravity.

EMDrive is back awoooo