Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
weird, I've been reading Donald Hoffman's The Case Against Reality and the EBO religion sounds like a lay person's attempt to try to convey his ideas about consciousness being fundamental beyond space time. (I am a layperson so I'm not going to try to explain it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

Delta-Wye posted:

i have also been very subtly led to this conclusion, as far as i can tell it's part of the op one way or another

if you want to know more without buying a book, here's a TED talk from around the time when they were really starting to get annoying: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYp5XuGYqqY

I like the cut of this guy's gib, and I'm sorry for the source. it seemed like his TED talk was the best introduction to his ideas :/

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

mycomancy posted:

The biolarp is pretty well done but does have bullshit in there. The "junk DNA" thing is a huge red flag, as we know now that those non-coding sequences are crucial for biological function. The other red flag is the lack of an anus: deuterostomy is such a hard-coded, early embryonic development that we can use it to class organisms on earth, and it evolved before notochords and brains did. One way digestion is much more efficient than two way, and I straight up don't buy the "engineered organism" explanation for that.

Dude needs to post dat genome FASTA file.

phone posting, so I'm just copy and pasting from talk origins, but his bit on junk DNA actually jives with my understanding better than most popular writing on the subject which talk origins is debunking:

https://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CB/CB130.html posted:

It has long been known that some noncoding DNA has important functions. (This was known even before the phrase "junk DNA" was coined.) However, there is good evidence that much DNA has no function:

Sections of DNA can be cut out or replaced with randomized sequences with no apparent effect on the organism (Nóbrega et al. 2004).

Some sections of DNA are corrupted copies of functional coding DNA, but mutations in them, such as stop codons early in the sequence, show that they cannot have retained the same function as the coding copy.

The fugu fish has a genome that is about one third as large as its close relatives.

Mutations in functional regions of DNA show evidence of selection -- nonsilent changes occur less often that one would expect by chance. In other sections of DNA, there is no evidence that any changes are selected against.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
is project serpo real now, too?

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
hearings now confirmed for the 26th

https://twitter.com/ask_a_pol/status/1680046329928491008

e: lol, nasa has pulled out

Winkle-Daddy has issued a correction as of 04:55 on Jul 15, 2023

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
is Michael Herrera new to the circuit like Grusch or has he been doing this for a while? I've never heard of him. apparently he's testified in front of the senate and has a new interview on the Shawn Ryan Show, but I can't tell how to judge him as recent events have hosed up my ability to judge the veracity of anything.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

toggle posted:

what is this now?

was also wondering this so I'm watching the Greer episode on 1.75x speed. :okpos:

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
https://twitter.com/TheInsiderPaper/status/1681041249133035520

e: less unhinged source

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

Rickshaw posted:

I'm watching his interview now and I'm going in extremely skeptical for several reasons right off the bat

1. greer association
2. story is about secret human trafficking, perfect synergy with contemporary rightwing conspiracy bugaboos
3. story implies humans are flying reverse engineered ufos, even if you buy the upcoming revelations that's still a hell of a stretch
4. ex military guy reveals the secrets of cosmic disclosure has been a cottage industry for Gaia TV / corey goode / david wilcock types for a decade, tried and true formula, all the more suspect with greer involved

yeah, he seemed kinda dumb so I'm sure he was a marine, at least. not convinced of much else.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

lol, same

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
I can't square Greer's circle as far as how he claims he's vetted these people versus what they're saying. guess I just have to wait and see.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Would aliens still have butt cheeks if they don't have a butthole? Any butt expert?

you still need the cushion, friend.

source: I sit on my butt cheeks all day

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
the Burchett interview on WVLT is crazy. he claims the Pentagon is threatening his witnesses and claims to have seen a lot of convincing video in private SCIFs. claims he got a text during the last AARO hearing telling him he's not allowed to ask questions. this dude is nuttier than a peanut butter cup or something wild is happening. or a bit of both.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
he tried to kill Bert Sampson on numerous occasions, op

e: maybe it's redshirt's Twitter

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

Gravid Topiary posted:

speaking of which while cleaning out my closet i found a sealed bag with ~5 grams of magic mushrooms, but they've got to be four years old at this point, they're probably pretty weak now so maybe i should just eat them all at once?

i have some followup questions for the "whatever" i talked with the last time i tripped balls

one time I was going to kill myself but ate a heroic dose of mushrooms instead. I saw through time and space my son, who wouldn't be born for another 20 years. he told me "I'm happy you're still here" -- I never tried to off myself again but I didn't think much about this experience until I had a son, then it became somewhat of an existential crisis.

anyway, what I'm saying is, always eat the mushrooms.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

Barry Foster posted:

bloody hell lol :stare:

Was it...you know, was it actually your son? Did he look like him/act like him/talk like him? Or did you just see a generic "son" figure?

'Cause that's f'n wild

I convinced myself for a lot of years after the experience that it was an intense hallucination brought on by drugs and stress, but that I saw exactly what I needed to see to move on. when my son was born in 2021 I was elated,. as I've watched him grow into the child I'm convinced I saw I no longer know what I think... so I kinda just throw this story out there every so often to see if anyone has experienced anything similar. a longer version of the story is somewhere in the GBS mushroom thread. I'm in therapy for this right now as it has caused me a significant amount of existential angst.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Not quite similar but at one point I had a psychedelic experience where I thought I was dead and I was choosing my next incarnation. I chose to be reincarnated in one of my cousins family because he's someone I really appreciate and I thought they would be a great family to grow into. Then the experience ended and I woke up.

A few days later he sent me an email to announce his second son was born and had a name quite close to mine. I had not seen him for a long time and had no idea his wife was expecting.

Not as personal and disturbing as your experience, but I found it funny and strange.

It also happened when I was getting very deep into the idea that we all are the same consciousness field incarnating into different bodies, so of course it kind of reinforced that belief a bit.

mushrooms are weird and the more I think about them / read other's experiences the more they seem like a thing trying to teach us that reality isn't quite as fixed as we assume. we're just not normally conditioned to see the pliability of things. it doesn't appear to be a useful intuition, but maybe someday it'll all make sense... though I don't think making sense is the natural state of existence.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

Pie in the Sky posted:

[UFOs] "I let every member come up with an idea"

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

E Depois do Adeus posted:

What if this goes full WWE and the surprise witness is Obama

Barack the Islamic ontological shock Obama

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
12 minutes to feed my dogs, grab a coffee and call in sick to work!!

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
[UFOs] Watch grusch start a loving war

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
[UFOs] We'll just say butts

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

D-Pad posted:

Lmao Burchett said he wanted to do a field hearing in his front yard and grill burgers and invite all the press.

he reminds me of my conservative uncle who has abhorrent views and says cringy things, but you'd still invite him to your bbq because he's just so gat dang likeable

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

Zisky posted:

"The distances are so vast that they could never travel here!"

lol, imagine thinking spacetime is fundamental and discrete in TYOOL two thousand and twenty three

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

The Grey posted:

https://twitter.com/michaelshermer/status/1684268712889847809?s=20

I can't tell if he was trying to say "aliens are harming humans" or "gov is harming humans" here?

lol, Michael went from being an evangelical Christian to being an evangelical skeptic who wanted nothing more than a seat at the table with Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris and Dennet -- all of who's books I read and enjoyed except for Shermer's because he was nothing more than proselytizing for radical skepticism. it's only gotten worse as time has gone on. what a dope.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
the other thread is v funny over the last 24h. people kramering in to let everyone know it's not aliens and actually it's just some dumb guy telling lies to congress.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

goochtit posted:

which alien faction r u all joining

the one with the b hole

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

my bony fealty posted:

ufo threads everywhere else on the internet are a horrorshow. this is the only good ufo thread.

:emptyquote:

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
I have a recurring dream about hanging around a sandwich shop in a tiny rural town that I've never been to. sometimes I get the sandwiches, one time I was just walking by it to a head shop. another time I was buying a truck and meeting the seller there. they've got outstanding sandwiches and I hope to find this place irl someday.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

Rickshaw posted:

i planned to watch the ufo hearing live that morning right as it aired but instead my wife went into labor and today our first child was born, forever a child of aitee

what'd i miss ITT

ET is real but private contractors won't let us make love to them. :(

congrats!!

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
or, it hits the same notes because these "secrets" have been leaking for decades

e: this

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Another possibility is that he trotted out all the big famous stories because they were actually real, and that's why they became famous in the first place.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

seriously? colonel Karl Nell?

what's the significance of this? is it good or bad? :ohdear:

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
people posting their art, I'd love feedback on this short story nobody was willing to publish :/
https://gist.github.com/ZedCode/e9edac943fd97af1d554dce880fd0985

e: I wrote this based on a dream, I'm not really a writer.

Winkle-Daddy has issued a correction as of 03:57 on Jul 30, 2023

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

my bony fealty posted:

can't view without a github account looks like?

that's new, I sent it to my dad who doesn't know what a github is but that was a while ago :(

I'll see if there's any settings I can change.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

How! posted:

I’m gonna stop making GBS threads the thread up now but I just want to thank everybody for the positive feedback. You’re all really going to make me cry. I just bought a ton of art supplies as a consequence.

your weird geometric landscapes speak to me viscerally and I hope you keep posting them!

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

Google Butt posted:

time for another rip to calm down

yeah, gotta push past the paranoia

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
I've been a passive ufo believer for a long time. like I couldn't rationally defend it, but it was just fun to accept as true.

my wife has read a lot of NDT, Dawkins, watched every episode of bullshit, read Shermer's books, etc. she's not like a hard skeptic, but she has a lot of animosity toward stupid and some religious beliefs.

anyway, for the last like 10 years Sunday night is science Sunday and we'd watch some documentary or a lecture if we're real hard up. tonight she asked me if we could watch something "good" on UFOs. I'm gonna put on the nat geo specials from 2021. my normie wife is ready to start the journey and I'm stoked as hell :3:

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

Petey posted:

lawfare dropped an hourlong interview with Shane Harris, its UFO want-to-believe but also extremely well-connected and respected hard national security journalist, who I bet dollars
to donuts was who LK and RB were working with on the piece that went to the Debrief. he had interviewed LK on his podcast earlier in the year. so color the comments with all of that in mind

https://open.spotify.com/episode/1AnidwoD5mTNN37q93W4R9?si=Os3EqPC0RXOWb7hYePWqTA

for anyone who doesn't know, Shane Harris is a longtime natsec reporter who has done incredible work. his book @war is a fantastic read about units in Iraq and Afghanistan using signals intelligence to hunt terrorists. he is unequivocally *not* some ufo adjacent journalist so I'm really looking forward to hear what he has to say.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

Petey posted:

well i might describe him as ufo adjacent in that: in his podcasting hosting work, he is clearly an aliens/et i-want-to-believe-er, and he has sympathetically interviewed leslie kean. but he's incredibly disciplined and rigorous in his reporting (and incredibly well-connected), and i think the story he tells in this podcast is extremely compelling and digestible.

i think people in this thread will also appreciate some of the subtle digs and distinctions he makes in this podcast, too — i.e. it's notable he calls grusch "dave" (unlike "graves" or "fravor,"), and says "i've interviewed dave for many hours" which is why i think he was the unnamed collaborator on the post story that LK/RB bailed on, and could also explain, if you are so oriented, why he seems clearly frustrated by grusch (though he also calls him a serious professional with impeccable credentials).

its good eatin is what i'm saying

when I met him at a defcon even, got a signed copy of his book and started following his work I didn't find any whiff of anything ufo related until the last few years, but this could've just been selection bias as I was consuming his infosec related work.

re: unnamed collaborator on the story, I could've sworn he tweeted something about being very close to running the story before the Debrief but wasn't able to work out some details. I vaguely recall him having to do damage control saying he didn't "pass" on it, they just weren't ready to publish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

D-Pad posted:

Somebody help, I started engaging in the GBS thread.

your post is good and I hope it moves the needle past "lol, crazy dude is crazy and also Iraq!"