Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Andy Pandy
Dec 11, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm always interested about where people draw the line between what is rational and what is "woo". To me the entire phenomenon is unquestionably "woo", and I absolutely love that is.

If you agree with the general story about how human intelligence evolved on earth, and you also agree that our universe is incomprehensibly big, then you must also agree that intelligent life could have evolved in the same way elsewhere in the universe. You believe in the possibility of extra terrestrial intelligence. If you want hard evidence then that's cool, but we also have no hard evidence to suggest we are alone. Until we find evidence of one or the other, we don't know.

Alternatively, if you believe one or more deities was responsible for creating our reality, that's no different from believing in a non-human intelligence out there in our universe, or maybe above it in another plane of existence unknowable to us. In this case you believe that a non-human intelligence has already created our reality.

The scientific or mystical views are dreadful and wonderful in their own ways, but I feel they are the same thing.

So we all "believe" to some degree, right? We just disagree on how likely it is that they are flying around in UAPs and doing grainy youtube videos.

If intelligence has developed elsewhere, and has come to this planet, then it's likely they know more than us about the universe. We only invented computers last century. What if they invented computers a billion years ago? What on earth could we possibly know about them? What secrets would they have unlocked? How would they communicate? We can't even talk to animals on our own planet. If they asked us to describe the taste of a mango or the feeling of losing a loved one, we don't have a language or cognitive system sophisticated enough to convey such experiences, and if they communicated this way then how would "contact" be broached? Humans are (allegedly) biologically locked to experience 4 dimensions, what if they experience more?

Quantum physics tell us that the universe is absolutely full of "woo". We don't know poo poo about absolute gently caress, we can't explain why we are stuck on this rock or why we are slowly destroying our ecosystem for money which is an imaginary thing we invented. However, I do believe that if we try to evolve a little, open our minds a bit, we might one day start asking the right questions instead of looking for the wrong answers.

Hope everyone has a lovely day! x

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andy Pandy
Dec 11, 2007

Grimey Drawer

global tetrahedron posted:

as someone pretty versed in this stuff, what jacques vallee book should i start with? trying to decide between dimensions and confrontations

e: one review of dimensions basically said it’s just a recounting of people’s stories/experiences, i’m fully in and dont need much more of that. more interested in his analysis
I'd recommend Dimensions, it has the good section about 'The Control System' which I found really interesting.

Also yeah Passport 2 Magonia is interesting. His books are pretty skimmable, you can open some pages at random and read a fun case or theory while you sit on the toilet. He seems like a nice person, I hope the Higher Beings™ ascend him first.

Andy Pandy
Dec 11, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Stand back I'm going to crack some eggs of wisdom:

1. Tic-Tacs / Discs / Orbs / Triangles are US military technology

At some point in the 1940s (or earlier, I don't know) the US military recovered advanced technology and began a reverse-engineering project. This was not funded particularly well at first due to World War 2, the Cold War, and the Vietnam war. At some point though, they quietly cracked anti-gravity and quite possibly free energy too. This led to an increase in funding, and over time the metallic saucers become triangles, they become orbs, they become Apple-inspired white tic-tacs. These are unmanned drones - selected military pilots slowly learned how to interface with this technology via their consciousness. Most of the US military does not know this, Trump was given a heavily dumbed-down briefing and is why he always went on about "invisible" planes. Nimitz and other navy encounters are simply exercises to ascertain how prepared we might be against the same technology (human or not).

2. Wait, they cracked mad anti-gravity drones and free energy and kept it a secret??? That's silly!

If somebody discovered a way to accelerate solid objects at incredible speeds, my first thought is: could they crack the planet in half? What if someone slammed one of these tic-tacs into the Pacific tectonic plate at 20,000mph? These aren't visitors from another planet, they are kinetic missiles that could probably level a city if someone spilled coke on their xbox controller. As as for free energy, well that would collapse the petrodollar and could allow the construction of doomsday devices if made public - no fuckin thanks. That's why they kept it a secret.

3. Why have they never revealed this tech in some flashy war????

It's far too profound a game-changer, there hasn't been a need to so far. It's also not fully understood.

4. What are you talking about?

Shut up!!!!

5. Ok what about abductions and weird high-strangeness stuff!?

OK listen up, I am high as hell. There are hundreds of thousands of accounts of human beings interacting with "other" entities, going back to the beginning of recorded history. Whether they were ghosts or gods or aliens, we can't deny that some human beings have experienced something unusual that affected them on a deeply personal level. These accounts take so many strange forms, some of them have spawned religions that still exist after thousands of years, some of them have terrified the experiencer for the rest of their life. Most of them seem to change the person's beliefs in some way and are linked with very strong emotions. I have never experienced this so it's hard for me to imagine what it's like.

6. What's your point?

I don't know my friend... I do suspect our reality is being penetrated by a foreign intelligence, and I think the problem in communication is due to the human ego.

An advanced intelligence might have evolved past the need for such a crude tool. The ego reduces us to pernicious apes. An average human being might not perceive an extra-terrestrial being even if they were in plain sight. Would a cow be able to perceive a grey alien stepping out from an alien craft? Or would it simply chew grass and get on with its life? What if the human ego had to be temporarily destroyed in order for communication to take place? It might explain the dreamlike nature and time-distortions.

Another good question I would then ask is, how do we evolve beyond ego, and what is ego? This may lead to madness, but then isn't it madness that human beings are currently terraforming their planet into a toxic environment that can't support us? Why are we doing that? What sent us down this path? Did the alien invasion happen already? Do we all have anosognosia?

7. By the way where did this "advanced technology" from the 1940s come from??? I forgot to ask this up there

Good question! I don't know, but I would bet this is more inter-dimensional and/or ancient artifacts rather than far-away space beings.

8. Thanks for the great post!

Love and light my friend x

Andy Pandy
Dec 11, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Why zap your brain with experimental magnets when trepanning has already been around since the neolithic revolution. It's possibly the oldest surgical procedure we know of.

It's interesting that drilling holes in ones skull to cure mental disorders seemed to become a thing around the time that humans stopped being hunter-gatherers and began living in settlements and practicing agriculture.

Perhaps this was a desperate attempt to fight against the new cognovirus called "language" that was infecting humans at a rapid pace? A last ditch attempt to rid their heads of this horrible alien parasite that was now talking to them in their heads, reshaping their cognition into something paranoid and morose. Wrenching them away from the natural world and filling their minds with fear and lies. What's even worse, is that this new way of thinking was able to compose a thought in ones head and then agree with itself, giving you the impression of free will. I wonder if that's why some people began drilling into their own skulls, to release this horrifying new demon before they forgot who they used to be.

I wonder how richer life was back then, before the madness took hold.

Andy Pandy
Dec 11, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

In Zeta Reticuli born and raised
buzzin' 'round earth was hanging out with the greys
Chillin' out probin' lights strobin' all cool
And all projecting good feelings at some kids in a school
When a couple of greys tried to make a big show
flying too wild out in New Mexico
they got in one little crash and my mom got scared
She said 'You're movin' with Sandia to a secret mountain lair'

Andy Pandy
Dec 11, 2007

Grimey Drawer

munce posted:

Ancient egypt video time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KUDu40BC5o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGtDAHRK8s0

The channel has loads and they're all pretty well done. v interesting.

The Serapeum of Saqqara is defo my fave serapeum. Those sarcophagi are awesome, I'd love to see them.

In case anyone hasn't heard of it, I always like to bring up Göbekli Tepe when talking about ancient structures. This bad boy was already ~8000 years old when the pyramids were being built, and will potentially change our ideas about prehistory as excavation continues.

also it's got birds and orbs

Andy Pandy
Dec 11, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm curious as to whether the P'nti have similar outreach programs across the globe to assuage the fears of the multiple billions of people who don't speak english, don't have twitter accounts, or don't have access to the internet at all

Andy Pandy
Dec 11, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Andy Pandy
Dec 11, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm not convinced by future humans myself, but what do I know? Closed timelike curves and retrocausality are really fascinating subjects.

If the P'nti are real then they might as well be future humans. They are visually similar and appear to have all the neurological equipment for human communication/language. A crab is more alien than them.

Dominique Lestel, philosopher, posted:

It is likely that the contact with extraterrestrials will lead to a very deep existential crisis for humans. Humans could be confronted with their inability to answer questions of enormous importance to them. First, to become aware of such cognitive and epistemic limits, and second, to accept these limits may seriously test humans. Indeed, up to now, every epistemological crisis humans have faced has led them to alter their conception of the world. The next epistemological crisis, a crisis precipitated by contact with extraterrestrials, could be very different. Humans may come to understand that there exists in the universe a set of phenomena that they will never be able to know because they are not clever enough.

To me, this is a good explanation of where we are right now. Despite decades of public/private research, this phenomenon may not be completely knowable to us. We literally don't have the brains for it. We might just be rabbits staring into headlights, frozen in fear and awe.

Andy Pandy
Dec 11, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This is absolutely my fave thread in the forums, love and light to all xxxxxxxxxx

Andy Pandy
Dec 11, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Last week i had a dream i was fending off an invasion of alien robots and at one point i was in the trenches with a bunch of people and Lue, and he saved us all by rolling into a ball like sonic the hedgehog and zooming into the robots. As he hit them the words "god bless america" materialised in 3D above the explosion and we all cheered. Alas, he did not survive :(

Andy Pandy
Dec 11, 2007

Grimey Drawer

toggle posted:

Harassment Of Navy Destroyers By Mysterious Drone Swarms Off California Went On For Weeks: https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/43561/mysterious-drone-swarms-over-navy-destroyers-off-california-went-on-for-weeks

I think we'll continue to see "Whoah UAPs!?!" stories like those until the US is either ready to admit they own this technology, or they are forced to deploy it in on the battlefield. The idea that extraterrestrials are constantly buzzing navy warships and snooping around military installations is, I believe, extremely unlikely. This has always been human-made technology.

Lue and Mellon, whether they know it or not, are preparing the world for the eventual introduction of paradigm-shifting flight technology in a carefully controlled manner. This technology has been developed by compartmentalised private sector teams and has been funded by some of the trillions of dollars missing from the economy. The vast majority of legitimate sightings we are familiar with from the last few decades (tic-tacs, orbs, triangles, whatever) are related to these projects.

We're dealing with two major advancements:
  • New propulsion technology that allows remotely operated drones to move at much higher speeds than previously possible
  • Orbs and plasmas that can be generated from a distance by beams or particle cannons

So why the secrecy for so long?

Firstly, I think weaponizing craft using this propulsion technology has been very difficult owing to the field it generates around the object - perhaps projectile weapons are useless as they would instantly detonate. So for a long time all they had was an extremely expensive paperweight that can manoeuvre at incredible speeds - granted you could use these as devastating kinetic weapons, but where's the novelty in that?

Secondly, such technology may have other applications - particularly in energy - that would risk destabilising the delicate petrodollar system that we all love so much.

Thirdly, the mysterious nature of this technology is a tactical advantage. If the enemy pilot thinks your flying weapon is a UFO, they won't necessarily react as if it is a threat. If the enemy radar operator sees a hundred returns around their position, they need to believe that they are actually objects rather than artificially generated ionised plasmas. This is the one of the reasons for all the military interactions we are hearing about - they have been gathering data on how trained personnel react to these unknown objects, while trying to keep it under wraps at the same time. Secrecy is a significant force multiplier.

Lastly, I think the US cannot be certain that they are the only ones who have developed this technology, because there are indeed other things in our skies and oceans that are genuinely unidentified. If they went public with a tic-tac today, the nightmare situation would be China unveiling an even better one tomorrow.

Disclosure is (kind of) happening now because this has all gone on too long and was always going to come out - but it is being deliberately mixed up with UFO narratives to maintain as much of the secrecy and mysticism for as long as possible. Lue is excellent at this, and will undoubtedly forgive his beloved country for doing what was necessary when further truths come out. We've all probably heard Ross Coulthart repeatedly admonish the evils of Russia and China, hoping that if it is human-made technology, then strewth mate I bloody hope it's the yanks! That's precisely the attitude they want to cultivate.

The crazy thing is, I believe that this whole mess is made far more complicated because a genuine non-human intelligence has been interacting with this planet for a long time, but it's infinitely more complex than visitors from space. That's a whole other post though.

I'm happy to accept that I may be 100% wrong about all of this!

I get the impression this was all just a stupid way of making a scene for a TV show, and nothing more.

Andy Pandy
Dec 11, 2007

Grimey Drawer
they're making a list
they're checkin it twice
they're gonna found out
who's p'nti or dies

Andy Pandy
Dec 11, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm partial to the idea that any sufficiently advanced civilisation will never even leave their home planet. If they are in equilibrium with their environment, and if they are at peace with their place in the universe, it may not even occur to them.

I'm also quite skeptical about the existence of dyson spheres and other such technological megastructures out there. My bet is that truly advanced technology is indistinguishable from nature - and we might not even recognise it if we were staring right at it.

Andy Pandy
Dec 11, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My fave bonkers channeling story is the CHANI project because it predicted margaret thatcher having a stroke and the january 6th US capitol riots, among a few other things

quote:

many things go wrong 15 may because door opens with portal to dark matters not undestanding earth beings
sharon will dimise be4 15 may
mandela will dimise be4 15 may
thatcher will stroke be4 15 may
japan warring thing will commenceing before 15 may secretly
oil gets very big sicknes no use anymore after 15 may
old bush will very sick be4 15 may
cheney will dimise be4 15 june
obama accident before 27 aperil
big sicknes be4 15 may
very moving earth on 17 aperils
oceon not sleeping when heaven things beware many waters to come drown
brown cheat be4 15 may
putin missing after 15 may many worry people do crazy things

me cee crash plane on deck of us war ship 55 dimise
me cee us bomer crash sea
me cee many dolfin and whale go suicide
me cee 250 plus more demise acident and crash of plane europe people
me cee very moving earth again people of same shape eye japan
me cee sicknes go people of india and people of korea
me cee very oil sicknes people of america grow biger not aford buy oil anymores
me cee america people very angry go damage monument there capitol ok
me cee very big and final earth war this line time but u can stop stil
please forget oil yor oil become enemy after september yor line time
oil get radiation as me tel u be4 why u not belive me
me cry 4 u

Andy Pandy
Dec 11, 2007

Grimey Drawer

project tacana cia bird spook

Andy Pandy
Dec 11, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Andy Pandy
Dec 11, 2007

Grimey Drawer
noting down what all your energy conversion boxes look like so i can steal your poo poo

Andy Pandy
Dec 11, 2007

Grimey Drawer
love and light to all for 2022

:tinylue: :blaster:

Andy Pandy
Dec 11, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SAbJjktk7E

Andy Pandy
Dec 11, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lake Jucas posted:

If we are talking good alien movies throw on Vast of Night. It came out last year and is a gem that flew under the Radar.

I watched Vast of Night a few weeks back and really liked it yeah.

One of my fave alien movies from the past few years is Annihilation. A truly exotic life form that we are unable to communicate with, as there is no shared biology or context. To me this is a more realistic depiction of first contact than most alien films.

Andy Pandy
Dec 11, 2007

Grimey Drawer
you probably saw that wheel-within-a-wheel thing in saving private ryan ezekial, you absolute moron

Andy Pandy
Dec 11, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Andy Pandy
Dec 11, 2007

Grimey Drawer

This article has a pretty good alternative angle picture and a link to a research paper indicating that this is a natural type of fault.

Of course, if I were the owners of this alien base I'd probably fabricate exactly this type of information. What can we ever know for sure?

Andy Pandy
Dec 11, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Kinda funny because the majority of people across the globe believe that humans were created by a non-human exotic intelligence - they just wouldn't phrase it in that way.

Andy Pandy
Dec 11, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Interesting to see antineutrinos enter the UAP chat.

Antineutrino detectors can potentially be used to identify the location of nuclear facilities or weapons from a distance. There are also some interesting papers proposing that sufficiently powered neutrino/antineutrino beams could be used to remotely detonate nuclear warheads. Here's a couple of papers for example:

https://arxiv.org/abs/hep-ph/0305062v1
https://arxiv.org/abs/0805.3991

So if the US military are conducting weird particle experiments in this field, it's possible the UAP connection is a smokescreen for what they really want - to become the first nation invulnerable to nuclear attack and the ability to detonate an enemy's nuclear weapons in situ.

Just speculation on my part! Hope I'm wrong.

xX Love and light xXx

Andy Pandy
Dec 11, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Curt Jaimungal from the Theories of Everything channel is going to be interviewing Salvatore Pais next month, his first podcast appearance ever.

I was asked if I had any questions for him but I'm no physicist, if anyone has any good suggestions I'll pass them on.

Andy Pandy
Dec 11, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Andy Pandy
Dec 11, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What if he's right tho?

What if there are no space aliens coming to visit us and there never were?

Here's an idea of what contact is like.

First contact events with intelligent creatures happen all the time on this planet, I think we tend to overlook them because we have a very selfish idea of how intelligence is measured.

Let's look at a good example – a great white shark encountering a cage dive. This creature has been around for over 400 million years on this planet and has evolved to be an apex predator at the top of the food chain. They have developed biological technology for interacting with their environment that far surpass anything we could build today. Are they intelligent? Depends how you define intelligence, but I'd say they are. They've lived through five extinction events and haven't managed to screw up their ecosystem. They are certainly far better than us at being sharks.

Although people have been around for about 300,000 years, most sharks have never seen a human being before, and likely never will. They are probably completely unaware of us, even though we live on the same planet and interact with each other occasionally.

Funny to think that such a powerful species could exist alongside other intelligent beings on the same planet without really noticing, isn't it?

We don't know what goes through a shark's mind when it encounters something alien, but here's an interesting passage I read recently while high:

Shark expert R. Aidan Martin posted:

Somewhere in the distance, an odd, rhythmic grumble imposed itself on the shark's consciousness. Although the Great White had no word for 'boat', it recognized the mechanical throbbing as a surface phenomenon that had rarely proven worthy of attention. But this time there was something familiar mixed in with the acrid, alien machine smells: the alluring scent of tuna oil. The great predator banked gracefully to investigate. As the shark continued its approach to the source of the piscine perfume, the mechanical throb ceased suddenly and was replaced by an unnatural clanging and chattering. Strange. Its curiosity aroused, Great White coursed toward this new disturbance. As the shark closed on the source of these strange sensations, a row of vibration-sensitive pits along its flanks added their collective voice to the sensory chorus. These signals intensified and re-enforced one another, compelling the Great White to accelerate in anticipation. Resolving specter-like from the underwater haze loomed a dark shadow, resembling a short, fat floating whale. The diffuse tuna scent was now everywhere and nowhere. As the shark ascended, its dorsal fin broke the surface momentarily. In response came an explosion of whoops and hollers from somewhere above the undulating liquid ceiling. The shark's large, sensitive eyes caught a silvery glint from a strange object. The Great White had never seen a shark cage before. It was half as tall as the shark itself was long, but much wider. The cage's surface was not curved and its volume seemed defined by empty spaces between vertical structural elements. As it swam past, the shark saw that there was something dark and moving inside, as though following it. Odd - and more than a little frightening. Yet all around it, the delicious tuna scent beckoned. Periodically a great flurry of bubbles spewed from the dark shape, as though it were drowning over and over again. As it neared the strange structure, the Great White's electrosensors tugged at it, inviting an exploratory nip. As the great predator's jaws clamped noisily onto the unyielding metal bars, several of its teeth broke free, spiralling gracefully as they sank...

To the human participants, this was a thrilling encounter with a powerful creature from another world that we can't access easily. There was no attempt at communication with the shark of course, because the physiological differences are too high to allow any mutual understanding.

To the shark, this could have been a very strange or traumatic event. The sights and sounds it experienced were utterly foreign, the smells and the strong electric fields were unlike any others in its shark vocabulary. Its highly developed senses were overloaded and confused. It might interpret the cage dive as a terrifying ordeal, a mystical encounter, a dream, a hallucination, or it may blank out the entire thing as it was so completely out-of-context that it has no neurological structures capable of retaining such information. Who knows?

A great white has no limbs, so it “feels” by using it's highly sensitive teeth. This is a form of interaction that is occasionally fatal for human beings. Likewise, we cannot keep a great white shark in captivity even with our best intentions, they do not survive. Some forms of communication can be lethal.

Are we ever going to Officially Contact the shark population of earth? Of course not. As long as they keep to themselves in their own part of the world, we'll continue to eat, probe, but mostly avoid them. We don't know how to talk to them anyway.

Now if the great whites started poisoning their environment and stockpiling nuclear material, maybe then we'd acknowledge their intelligence and think about contacting them. But how would we speak to a creature when our language is of no use? An inquisitive animal that might kill us accidentally if we met face to face, and not even know it? We are as bound by our biology as they are to theirs.

To them we are just shapes and lights in their skies.

Andy Pandy
Dec 11, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Tekne posted:

while less distant than sharks, humans have formed actual partnerships with orcas who in different cases have helped us hunt fish and whales

globally they are revered by tribes who have contact with them and even the pods that feed exclusively on mammals treat us a partners or friends/curiosities rather than food

both of us are sapient mammals, but their environment and way of perceiving and talking is different enough to suggest that meaningful contact and cooperation can occur even without common language

Yes, very true. We share a lot of evolution with mammals and can communicate to a degree with some. But an orca still can't tell us what feels like to sense the world through echolocation, any more than we can explain a black hole to an Orca.

I'm not saying we can't talk with animals, in fact far from it. Perhaps if we were able to temporarily lose the "human" and "orca" parts of ourselves we might find direct communication between two concious entities is simpler than we thought. Although we might find that once ego is restored, we have trouble remembering or interpreting what took place when restricted again by language.

Andy Pandy
Dec 11, 2007

Grimey Drawer
For all we know, humans are terraforming the climate for these visitors.

For all we know, the visitors will simply euthanise the human race as we would a sick animal, or a work horse after a life of labour.

We've always had the technology and means to fix things, but we haven't. We just march ever onwards to our doom, utterly anosognosic, and look to the skies for someone else to step in and sort it out. For all we know, this is by design.

Andy Pandy
Dec 11, 2007

Grimey Drawer
DNA computing and information storage is so effective that it seems like a natural progression for us.

You can store all the information produced by human beings in a few grams of DNA (it has a raw limit of around 1 exabyte/mmł) and it has a half life of about 500 years. If we do have information stored in our DNA, it would take millions of years to degrade even if we all dropped dead right now. You'd have to destroy the planet if you wanted to erase it.

If biological computers and storage are used by other lifeforms, it's not difficult to imagine seeding far-off planets with life that carries the sum total of your civilisation's knowledge, backups that could also provide a safe haven if some cosmic event wastes your home planet. Even if the seeded life evolved to became aware of their origins, there's not much they could do about it. You can imagine they'd be pretty bummed to find out that they are simply storage media for some inscrutable lifeform elsewhere that may have disappeared eons ago, or even worse, something that has already arrived.

If DNA computers are readily used by visiting probes and craft, they might notice that some people and animals occasionally disappear in strange circumstances and are mutilated or altered in strange ways, as a post-biological civilisation may need a steady supply of DNA. Not much, but enough to be noticed over time.

I really enjoy the different viewpoints in this thread and would definitely listen and/or lend a hand to a podcast. Love and light my friends!

Andy Pandy
Dec 11, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jazerus posted:

that just isn't how dna works lol

sequences aren't conserved unless they have functional value, they just randomly mutate in that case. if you tried to store information inside a species, yes it might last millions of years, with potentially high corruption rates even in the best case scenario, or maybe twenty years after you left the species goes through a bottleneck event where the only survivors are the ones who (randomly) had those biologically useless sequences snipped off and therefore required less food for their cells to replicate.

you could, maybe, engineer your data structure such that your data under biological circumstances encodes useful proteins or serves a structural purpose that will be conserved, while under technological circumstances it could be read as a galactic encyclopedia or peanutty goatse jpg or whatever. but even then evolution will smear away bits and pieces over time as slight variations on the protein prove to be more useful in certain circumstances, and the tension between "this has to be useful to remain" and "this corresponds to an artificial encoding" would make designing a consistent data structure so incredibly difficult as to make the whole project a bit silly. you'd be better off just chemically preserving your dna copy of the info and burying it in a vault than engineering a species for storage. if you were to be inserting this species into an existing ecosystem with established motifs for how life accomplishes particular tasks, and you didn't want the species to be blindingly obviously a transplant, the task would be even more orders of magnitude harder.

dna computers for artificial purposes do make a lot of sense as a technology for a highly advanced civilization. making those dna computers also be fully functional living organisms might even make sense as long as they are still under your control and you can just make backups of the info. but sticking your info into bacteria, or trees, or apes, and then dumping them in the wild? it's a fun sci fi idea but it would not work

This is a good point, perhaps human beings as a storage media is too sci fi, I don't know. However I believe you are wrong about the last part - bacteria, bugs and plant life have already been proposed as vectors for long-term information storage, potentially for hundreds of millions of years.

Andy Pandy
Dec 11, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jazerus posted:

i would be interested to read about that because everything i know about biology leads me to conclude it wouldn't work. or, rather, the expected integrity of the information at any given time is essentially unpredictable because DNA is under pressures from its environment. we used to think that there was a lot of "junk DNA" that just hangs around without being useful in any way, which would imply that you could use biologically useless DNA as a storage medium, but there's more evidence every year that "junk DNA" is simply useful in different ways from traditionally useful coding DNA and, if biologically useless, would most likely be lost over time to chromosome repair errors both large and small.

My info came from a couple of articles:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/11792112_Long-term_storage_of_information_in_DNA
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/220421177_Organic_Data_Memory_Using_the_DNA_Approach

I'm happy to be wrong about this, you seem like you know what you're talking about and while I know about information storage I'm certainly not a biologist. But also:

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

If you're smart enough to store your blu ray rips on DNA you're probably smart enough to engineer better data integrity and error correction mechanisms than nature has, or at least beef them up

Yeah, if we are just starting to look at this technology then who knows where it leads.

Andy Pandy
Dec 11, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jazerus posted:

both articles are old, but they're pretty good.

the first one however is referring exclusively to the "chemically preserve and stick it in a vault" storage method when talking about the stability of DNA as a long-term storage method.

the second article is interesting in a 2022 context because a lot of the technical challenges they refer to aren't quite so insurmountable anymore; you could just extract a message from a whole genome in a lab, for example. it's definitely a cool experiment and they chose a good bacterium to hold information in, one that has very robust error correction; but even then they concede that they only let the bacteria go through a few generations before extracting their message back out. my intuition is that with even the best natural error correction (and if you want your organism to blend into a natural ecosystem and survive long term it must have natural error correction rates, not perfect stability) you are looking more at thousands of years until the data is irretrievable, on average, rather than millions; in bacteria, anyway. an especially long-lived tree might work for a lot longer, and potentially store much more information, but is less likely to survive as a species compared to bacteria although perhaps you also engineer it to be unusually hard to kill...yeah, ok, tree hard drives sound kind of doable if you're not necessarily aiming at permanent storage but just very long-term storage with some corruption being acceptable.

overall, i find the "dna microchip" idea of the first article more compelling than the living hard drive idea. natural living systems could be made into amazing computers, because they already are amazing computers, but permanent storage of data needs a different solution.

I trust scientific papers/articles about as much as I trust people on these forums so I'll take your word for it (I mean that in a positive way). It's a fascinating subject that I enjoy learning about.

Mola Yam posted:

am i too late for tattoo chat

get the 1561 celestial phenomenon
Fuckin yeah

Andy Pandy
Dec 11, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sleekly posted:

does anyone have a good understanding of the Wow signal and can break down why it was so stunning to astonomers? or a good link to a wrap up of it?

it gets thrown around a lot in discussions and its assumed that the reader already knows all about it. the wiki is a bit dry.

There's a 30 year anniversary report from the guy that saw the signal here, it's got loads of good info about it.

One of the weird things about the wow signal is that it only registered in one of the two telescope beams:

Seth Shostak from SETI posted:

The Ohio State telescope actually used two beams, situated side-by-side on the sky. Any cosmic source would therefore be seen first in one (for 72 seconds) and then - roughly 3 minutes later - in the other (also 72 seconds.) The Wow signal failed this simple test. It came on gangbusters in one beam, but was a no-show in the other: suspicious and disheartening.

Andy Pandy
Dec 11, 2007

Grimey Drawer

pandy fackler posted:

My partner and I saw a UFO last week on 2/9 from about 12:10 AM to 1 AM PST. Through binoculars there was a circle of many lights blinking in different patterns. I've been googling drones to see if I can find what we saw as an explanation but haven't been able to find anything like it. The craziest part was the speed it was moving - it would stay still in the sky and fade out to resemble a star then the light would expand into a gently caress ton of lights and it would dart across the sky at a huge distance, kind of moving like a water bug. I can't really find any UFO sightings that match it either but I'm not an expert. It was insane, really glad another person was there to see it too. Tried to get some video but none of it came out.

that's cool as hell. please don't fackle me

Andy Pandy
Dec 11, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Fly Molo posted:

remember when that one solar observatory got raided by the fbi lol

https://www.npr.org/2018/09/20/650134651/shutdown-of-new-mexico-observatory-was-part-of-investigation-into-child-pornogra

gently caress i didn’t realize it had epstein thread crossover too :whitewater:

Back in 2018 one of the mods at ATS claimed to have a source on the real reason behind this, although they refused to share the exact info to protect the source. They heavily implied that:
  • There was a fairly mundane, yet kinda surprising, reason for the event. Some intel thing not normally known to the general public
  • It had nothing to do with aliens or space or even the Holloman AFB and WSMR nearby
  • They were moving or removing something from the site that was sensitive - this was completed successfully despite the media frenzy
  • The cover story was supposed to keep a lid on it and ended up drawing loads of attention, total fuckup
  • Something significant about how they closed the post office too

Some suggested it was the movement of a person, someone who was placed there in witness protection and had to be moved due to a threat.

I fully expect a site like ATS to be riddled with feds though, so this could be a cover story on top of a cover story, gently caress knows.

Andy Pandy
Dec 11, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I admire anjali's sassy attitude with the UFO community goobers, shame it turns out she got blasted on cannabis resin and seemingly imagined the entire thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andy Pandy
Dec 11, 2007

Grimey Drawer

WEH posted:

startin off the 60s

burning debris fall from a disk

cigar emitting a white "laser"

the next two cigar reports occurred very close together chronologically and describe strikingly similar movements

ufo makes a right angle over AZ

ufo pulls multiple right angle turns over TX. the paper bit at the end is kinda :confused: but I like the sign off

Thanks for these posts. It's easy to get bogged down with the current tic-tac stuff and forget about the sheer volume of historic personal reports.

Military debriefs of UAP are boring as poo poo, they lack that wonderful dreamlike quality that you get from personal sightings