Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

WEH posted:

Delonge is either in on the game or is being used imo

delonge-con

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Anyway my take is still that any aliens that are able to make it here but haven't been helping us bootstrap our energy generation and storage tech to prevent climate change are assholes

Why would they want us to not kill ourselves? The human race has let itself be ruled by psychos for its entire history while the vast majority suffers. If you were an alien would you want a bunch of maniac assholes flying around the galaxy? I could see aliens wanting to determine if humans could kill all the psychos before they let us in the ufo club, that's a fun idea

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Please give me Fully Automated Luxury Gay Earth Communism Reconstruction Mr ET sir, my family is dying

If you can't earn it yourself, you'll just ruin space for the responsible species. No, we'll just have to wait 100M years for the next sapient species and see if they don't have psycho ape brains

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

they're not wrong
but they are assholes

Theories about aliens manipulating human evolution are always funny because look what human evolution and civilization have produced lol. We've caused our own extinction event! If someone made us, they're a real bunch of fuckups!

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Jetto Jagga posted:

Just wait until the Beserkers get here, we'll be sorry

Hopefully we'll have laser shotguns by then

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Atrocious Joe posted:

what if we're just on a giant petri dish. the UFOs are grad students checking in on the experiment. they've got 50 other earths around the galaxy they are running the same test on.

the experiment probably didn't even purposely involve us, they are trying to figure out why animals keep evolving into crabs.

That's true, or they could've been trying to make crazy ape planet because they thought it would be funny. I kind of think it's funny

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

i'm pretty sure there cant be anybody after us because of just how hard we've strip mined the planet lol

Most of the minerals are still here. Some vanadium, uranium/plutonium shot out into space. 100M years is enough time for a new regime of life to take over though.
Really though the Cretaceous extinction event was only 66M years ago and that killed 75% of life on the planet. Climate change probably won't even kill all humans. The population will get devastated but some will be able to adapt to the new environment and probably ruin it again within 100k years lol

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

I think the most conspicuous thing about this UFO stuff is that so many of these sitings are through sensory equipment. There's a very simple explanation for "why are military people constantly seeing weird things on their equipment while normal people rarely see these things with their actual eyes" - there's just some issue with the equipment.

Like they'll see some dot acting weirdly and decide that "this must be an object traveling a zillion miles per hour and instantly making abrupt turns" is more reasonable than "this is a dot appearing on my screen because of some sort of glitch."

People are seeing them with their naked eyes though. The videos released are flir cams showing infrared video of coherent objects moving around but the pilots have gotten visual confirmation as well.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

OK baizuo posted:

On a long enough time scale and depending on the location, the Earth's crust is recycled through subduction zones and divergent plate boundaries, like a few hundred million years.

Sucks for anyone after us that all the sweet, sweet coal from the Carboniferous will be permanently tapped out. Maybe if they're lucky oil is abiotic after all lol

Well luckily we're getting the atmosphere up to carboniferous co2 levels and causing a mass extinction, so some later species can run their death machines on our corpses

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Thinking about it, ufos being from some undersea intelligent civilization is maybe more likely than them being from another world. Plus they're typically associated with bodies of water.
They could have millions of years of a headstart on us

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

The only hard evidence always being something that just looks like a blotch that you can't make out any detail on is not very convincing, and eye-witness accounts are not even close to sufficient for this sort of thing.

It seems very unlikely to me that aliens are both incapable of hiding from the US military and coincidentally can only be captured on video as blotches (and about equally unlikely that the US military secretly developed some hyper-technology incomparable to anything the public is aware of).

If you watched the flir cams and didn't think they were showing some kind of aircraft then there's no evidence you'd accept so why bother talking?

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

I thought cuppy tea was doing a bit and then i felt bad when it seemed like he just had schizophrenia

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Venus has a lovely magnetosphere but probably has life just because such a hot planet would be producing subsurface life for millions of years. Probably not anything intelligent though, so not much different than earth

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

LRADIKAL posted:

no u

edit: penus

How the gently caress have you been on this shitass website for 2 decades and you suck so bad at posting? You shoulda gotten some good posting via osmosis at this point but you're some kinda hosed up idiot???

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

I don't wanna be mean if you got some kind of problem though

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Jetto Jagga posted:

And his poo poo's all USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST

He doesn't even have any honorable bans. I feel like nobody should be mean to him, he is like a stray duckling hissing at a daisy

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

We should all endeavor to be nice at each other, even when disagreeing. I'm sorry i impugned your posting acumen

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Inspector Hound posted:

Right it's just germs if it's anything, but holy poo poo, alien germs. And what if it's related to tardigrades or some other extremophile that we recognize down here? Like, holy gently caress.

Earliest life on earth was 3.7B years ago and the moon impact was 3.5B years ago, so if life went from earth to venus they woulda had to be some tough boys to survive. I'd assume venus would have been capable of having life formed on it independently

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Inspector Hound posted:

!!!! Indeed! This was what I was thinking of, like what on Earth (or not on Earth??) is the point, from a standpoint of evolution, of being able to survive something that insane? It's a heck of an accidental bonus if it's just a glitch of evolution.

Tardigrades only date from 145 mya though, and they eat other earth things. They are cool as hell, but they're basically progenitors of arthropod evolution. They gave rise to a bunch of different gross bugs and they survived all the previous mass extinctions

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Inspector Hound posted:

Well I didn't know all that so now I'm back on the ground

There's might be life on venus but life going from earth to venus is not likely because not much life is going to both survive hard vacuum/radiation and be adaptable to a different planet. I think there could be indigenous life on venus though

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Maybe somebody shot an encapsulated tardigrade bullet to venus 140M years ago, I don't know what was going on then

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

actually what happened was that one of those things landed on earth 65M years ago and it burrowed to the core of the earth then directed human evolution to suit its own ends

Ah, the furtive pygmy, and the abyss that he spawned

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Well, experiments on manos, the man were what caused the abyss. Who knows what time that was, records were spotty at best

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Zokari posted:

so what is the logic of the "this is a psyop" argument

that all of these accounts of ufos were manufactured (even though some of these had been around for years and just didnt get mainsteam attention) or that these things are real events that the cia or whoever is just abusing to their own ends

Richard doty was feeding fake stories to ufo guys for decades as part of an air force operation. He even made up majestic 12. Betty and barney hill were civil rights activists that were mkultra victims. The logic is that the government has been using aliens as cover for psyops for almost a century, so assuming that the government is lying makes sense. What the ends of the pysops guys are is up for interpretation. They could be trying to scare people into trusting the government. They could be trying to make everybody crazy. They could be trying to distract from their own wanton criminality. They could be trying to get more money for the desperately underfunded weapons manufacturers.
I think the ufos are the product of a non-human intelligence though, because they behave inconsistently with any human technology

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

I guess the doty stuff could also be to provide an explanation for experimental aircraft sightings ie: u2, sr71, black helicopters. Which would be in line with the blink 182 videos being cover for some kind of new hosed up drone that can go sicko mode

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Log082 posted:

it's me, i'm the guy explaining my secret aircraft that no one else has spotted by publishing videos of it. 12D chess motherfuckers

That's what they did with all those other secret aircraft though. They encouraged insane people to call them flying saucers by gaslighting them. I don't really get it but i guess nobody really knew about the sr71 until it was out of service or the stealth helicopters until they were used to assassinate bin laden and then mainly because they crashed one, so i guess it works

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Jetto Jagga posted:

Bennewitz even saw the goddamn stealth bomber that crashed during a test flight while he was flying over restricted airspace and sketched what he saw, and subconsciously interpreted it as a super scifi spaceship - it's already weird enough compared to previous aircraft, but he took it one step further with scifi gewgaws. Reminds me of a test a Loch Ness tv show did where they dragged a stick thru the Loch in front of an audience and had them draw what they saw, one lady added a head and face a la Nessie.

Yeah loch ness is great because a guy made up nessie after he saw king kong lol.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Inspector Hound posted:

The helicopters are especially hilarious because silent black helicopters have been a staple of the most tooth grinding insane conspiracy theories for decades, there's even a joke about them in the Mel Gibson movie Conspiracy Theory, and I'm sure there's references to them in The X-Files

You get flown around in one in deus ex (1999) on your mission against the illuminati!

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

i am harry posted:

there are accounts of UAPs physically reacting to aircraft, shutting off systems, etc..maybe that would just be a side-effect of something else.
personally a "why" is more interesting than a "what"...like why even be here at all? there can't possibly be anything special here...there are near infinite planets in the universe.

If humans had the capability to go to other planets where there was intelligent life, we'd obviously murder them and take anything we wanted from them or put them in like psychic slavery or something. Maybe the aliens are just having a look-see because they're observing all intelligent life they find and this is just one planet they're watching, or they're prepping us to be enslaved in their hellraiser psychic slavery devices where we're all tortured until death to fuel their flying saucers

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

The extra dimensional explanation doesn't make sense because if m-theory is correct we live in a universe with 10 spacial dimensions plus time. We're in 11-dimensional timespace, the 7 dimensions we can't perceive were inside us all along. Like the coordinates we perceive are (x,y,z,t) but really there's a bunch of other ones to make some equations work.
Unless you're talking about beings from a parallel universe

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Bullfrog posted:

the idea of hostile aliens imo is more of a cultural fear than a plausible one. we absolutely would do that because we are descended from apes with a brutal social hierarchy. we have all sorts of cultural baggage and history involving colonization, war, destruction. I'm of the opinion that it is perfectly possible that an alien species could evolve with intelligence without the brutality that came along with our monkey brains.

as an example, imagine a species that shares a consciousness, similar to an intelligent fungus. It may still require a form of social intelligence to maintain, but it might not necessitate brutal violence.

Yeah on the one hand i doubt that a species like us could keep from killing itself before it got to interstellar travel but what if there's just some extremely powerful immortal demigod ruling the evil alien empire and he keeps everyone under his control with a vast network of spies and brutal domination. I guess that's just god emperor of dune or warhammer lol

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Bullfrog posted:

im definitely not gonna speculate as far as a parallel universe because then id just be bullshitting and moving the goalposts. im curious as to a more in-depth explanation of m-theory though if you can link to one

I've been reading about M-theory for like a decade and my understanding of it is murky at best. The wikipedia seems ok, idk though:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-theory
Basically general relativity and quantum mechanics had a baby called string theory, and then the strings grew another dimension and became membranes, and that's m-theory and now there're 11 dimensions

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

quote:

Whatever was planned for July is still going to happen so far as I know, but it has definitely changed. Something changed and I’m pretty sure that’s why this report is coming out, but I can’t be sure about that. I’ve heard Friends talking about a report for years and years but I didn’t know it would happen this way. I don’t know if the report that’s coming out is to prepare us or if it’s just a cover up. I don’t know what it all will be on the 18th, either, except that Gina 2 and the Friends of Friends are leaving and someone else is coming and that whatever will happen on Earth is not colonization. I’ve seen maps up there and it looks like on the 18th something will happen at least in western Africa, something in maybe China or around China, and in Wyoming or Colorado or Utah. It’s hard for me to know where stuff is just looking at maps without the state and country borders on them but none of the maps up there have any of those lines so I’m making educated guesses on those three spots.

All three spots could be deserts. The aliens are gonna steal our sand!

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Or maybe they're gonna terraform the deserts to forests to stop climate change

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Delta-Wye posted:

Velocities are all relative but I liked how Avi Loeb described it as being largely motionless compared to average motion of everything around and we zoomed by 'Oumaumua as opposed to the other way around.

That's a good way of explaining it. That thing was really tearing rear end on it's way outta here though.

It's velocity relative to the sun is supposed to basically return to that background speed of 26 km/s when it leaves the solar system, but it got up to 87 km/s when it whipped around the sun. Probably a rock though

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Feral Integral posted:

why is it a good way of explaining it when it was really tearing rear end on it's way outta here though?

Its initial speed was the same as the local standard of rest, the speed of things near our solar system. so from one reference point, it's not moving except when the sun buzzed it and changed its trajectory, causing it to move. Maybe it's not a good way of explaining it though because everything is moving.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Most abduction accounts are probably sleep paralysis. One time i had sleep paralysis and i couldn't move anything besides my head/neck. I looked down my body and i saw a being made of flechettes of reflective material tumbling through a humanoid shaped light, standing at the foot of the bed. After shrieking for awhile I got real mad and i kicked out of bed over the foot of the bed and into the light being, doing karate moves. It appeared crestfallen and disappeared

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

A MIRACLE posted:

I’m reading a bunch of threads on the humanoid sightings Reddit and apparently it’s a widely accepted thing that the Michelin man is a kind of alien that shows up all over the place

Michelin man is a cryptid

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Inspector Hound posted:

I don't know, my heart rate goes down into the 40s when I'm sleeping and I don't sleep on a particularly hard bed, I think some people are just more likely to experience it than others

I do kind of want to experience it out of curiosity but it doesn't sound pleasant at all

When i had it my throat was also paralyzed or something because i was trying to scream but all that came out was a tortured high pitched noise and i experienced maybe a minute of primal monkey terror. Interesting experience tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

munce posted:

It's 100% directed by them. Corbell even said the videos of the radar screens etc are shot by crews tasked specifically to do that for information management/ public relations purposes. There's definitely no one recording screens with a mobile phone inside a warship then leaking it.

Remember sailor