Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Winkle-Daddy posted:

something is up with my brother. can a tarot goon give me a read on the situation (and let me know what the cards might mean, idk poo poo about tarot). it'd be great to augment my intuition when visiting next :)

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Do you have any more details or is it just a feeling that there's something up with him?

This is an oracle reading so it will be easier for you to interpret since there is only one symbol per card VS tarot

What I get here is that it's about you brother's self-fulfilment/vocation (center card: happiness/vocation)

It looks related to pleasure and creativity (top card: pleasure/art)

The three remaining cards give me the impression that this choice is misunderstood, that others are thinking it's a bad one (right card: tyranny) while your brother doesn't care if this vocation is fruitful or not (left card: sterility) he's doing it because it makes him happy (center card: happiness).

As a result of this misunderstanding, your brother doesn't feel supported enough and is hesitating about this choice (bottom card: hesitation)

Don't hesitate to give feedback, sometimes a different interpretation pops up when I have more details. Also if it's a miss please tell me, helps me improve too.

I have not owned a tarot deck for very long. Literally a month. But I woke up last night, stayed feeling wakeful long enough to come browse Something Awful and see your post Winkle-Daddy, and thought, "oh, this is a good way to practice." Not the reading for you part necessarily, because I am not yet confident in that, but reading for you and then comparing my read to what others say to test my "accuracy." I have practiced other methods of divination but I still need to build up some belief in tarot decks.

So I took a screenshot of your post and went back to sleep. Here, in the morning, before checking any thread replies I pulled up the screenshot and pulled out some cards. The top row pertained to your brother's situation; the bottom row, advice to you.

Part of being new is that I need to look up card meanings in my deck's guidebook. But per that guidebook, I read these as saying:

Your brother is feeling trapped, stuck, insecure. He might be feeling "controlled by circumstances" or other people instead of by himself (8S). He feels burdened, like he is handling too much, is overworked and struggling (10W). Whatever it is that is weighing on him like this, though, he feels a responsibility, maybe social, familial, or ethical, to it that, in his eyes, won't let him just make big changes (the Emperor). He should try though; 10W can also be the end of a tough task or cycle.

And for your advice in helping him. Listen to him -- really listen -- and provide emotional support. Be wise and thoughtful; it might be trickier than anticipated, but compassion and understanding will help you both here (King Cups). Encourage him to realize whatever it is that is bringing him passion and meaning; encourage him to pursue his dream and find personal growth and development (Ace Wands). Is it possible he is facing thoughts about gender and traditional masculinity? Pay attention to your subconscious, your instinct, your intuition while you talk with him. Be mindful of where his head is at; the reality of the situation might not be as it appears on the surface (the Moon).

I was just going to do this as an exercise for myself, but upon finishing up and refreshing the thread I found my reading dovetailed pretty well with the one that SpaceGoat provided above. So it seemed worth sharing, hope it helps :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I like birds, I can connect with them :shobon:

Thank you friend :lovebird: and thank you as well for your part in that exercise!

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Winkle-Daddy posted:

thank you both for the tarot pulls! I didn't want to share more details before the pull because I wanted to see what would be interpreted with just a generic "something going on." Also, I don't really have details other than he got mad at me like 4 months ago and stopped talking to me. he's apparently also very mad at my sister (my brother and his wife live with my sister and her fiance). my sister said living there has been awful as my brother is just fighting all the time with everyone. yesterday, when my wife went over to let the dogs out she noticed a business card for a marriage counselor hanging on the fridge. I suspect he's very insecure living with a failing job, failing marriage and living in his little sister's house with his two year old son and wife. both pulls seemed to hit on these issues as core to what I'm asking about. I'll need to think about the "what to do" part, and given that today's his birthday I feel like I need to make some "even when you're being a little poo poo, you're stuck with us" gestures.

thanks for the pulls, they continue to be eerily "on"

Truly happy to help. I hope things begin to improve for him, and your family, soon. 💗

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Have a really nice day today, Winkle. I hope it helps :)

fanfic insert posted:

I'd like a draw from the bird deck if you want another target to practice on

Oh! Sure, it would be my pleasure :) I am going out for a little while but I will take the bird cards back out this evening!

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

fanfic insert posted:

I'd like a draw from the bird deck if you want another target to practice on

fanfic insert posted:

Sweet! It'll be my first ever tarot reading, primed and ready for a bird draw!

Sorry for keeping you waiting so long! Today went longer than expected :) I tried to ask the bird cards if they had any special advice for you. It is helpful for me to have a specific question or comment in mind when I start trying to draw them; which makes a kind of sense I think, the more clearly I can communicate what I am asking to anyone in a conversation with me, the easier it is for them to reply coherently back. I wasn't sure how well "any influential advice for my friend, 'fanfic insert'?" would strike whatever powers-that-be but I think we got a hit, it reads like a proper constructed statement to me. The statement seems to be, "An opportunity is coming. Take it!"

Five of Pentacles is noted as representing loss, struggle, and hardship. It is often material or financial but can be emotional or spiritual too -- or both. It indicates feeling cold, isolated, alone -- but there is hope. You need to be willing to spot it and ask for it, but help is there. That's the little mouse in this 5P, with the needle and thread for the Raven's lost wings. And if you make that ask -- Eight of Wands represents "swift action, rapid developments, and fast progress." It indicates sudden change and unexpected opportunity; a shift in circumstances you can seize to be propelled forward. You might be getting new information soon. Be excited about it, because that slipstream will carry you to -- Ten of Pentacles. Security, stability, wealth -- and not just for you, but generationally. Riding the opportunity 8W is tipping you to is going to bring you to a place where you can begin building the foundation of your legacy. It is going to be worth it.

Well I make no promises as to anything here, but that all seems interesting and exciting. I hope it works out for you :buddy:

LITERALLY A BIRD has issued a correction as of 03:07 on Sep 11, 2023

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Turpitude posted:

My mom is going thru a tough time and had a bad day so i did a reading for her and it ended up being pretty uplifting. As a tool for introspection i am really enjoying the tarot. I got the radiant rider-waite and am using its little booklet to translate

That is a lot of how I have been using it too :) My anxiety usually manifests after I have already made a decision about something; often a decision I was quite confident about at the time and made for good reasons. But I start worrying it'll land very badly or lead to something terrible I hadn't thought of, and I know it's just anxiety and I can't change anything about the decision now anyway but I'm sure we all know how stressful that kind of anxiety is. So that evening once everything has settled for the day I say "hey bird cards, what did you think of that thing today?" and they usually tell me that it was fine, I am overthinking it, here are some pretty pictures of birds. And it helps, countering irrational fear and anxiety with irrational reassurance :lol:

Lib and let die posted:

Can I have a happy reading? Lie to me if you have to, I won't know the difference.

Given the above disclosure of my deck's primary purpose (so far) being "therapy cards" I thought maybe they would have something nice to say to you in that function too. I have never yet experienced them trying to "tell lies," but sometimes they will say kindly "well perhaps you oughtn't have done this but here is what you can learn moving forward." Let's see. Bird cards have you anything that will truthfully encourage our friend, "Lib and let die"?

Yours are pretty. :) They start with Six of Swords and it has some "we join this story already in progress" feel to it: it is making note of what you are experiencing now. 6S seems to represent transition and change; moving through and on past turbulent waters in search of a place to heal. It has been rough. You are all beat up. But you are making progress on your journey, and you are being offered a little guidance to protect yourself and bring you safely home -- the advice of Two of Pentacles. This bird thinks you need balance. If you have a lot of personal responsibilities they might not be weighted appropriately right now. How is your time management? 2P suggests re-evaluating and possibly adjusting your current priorities and commitments. Are you allowing enough time for yourself and understanding yourself? To help you sift through your choices, possibilities, responsibilities is the High Priestess which seems highly auspicious Lib! The High Priestess says to trust your intuition and inner knowledge. Practice listening to yourself and actually hear what you have to say. The knowledge and wisdom you will gather by practicing disciplined, mindful self reflection will be gifts for you to carry forward into a personal or spiritual awakening. This is not going to be a quick or easy process, but you will believe the results of your effort are worth it.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

fanfic insert posted:

I'm gonna so it, ask for help again. If anyone want to do a draw on what the opportunity is or from what direction help may come I'd appreciate it. I've been feeling very stuck with no way out for some time now.

Fanfic, that pinecone connection was wild, thank you for observing it!! Since SpaceGoat did a draw for you confirming that obtaining your opportunity is going to be through asking for help from a friend, I am asking the bird cards if they can give you some markers to recognize the moment of asking. I will tell you what the guidebook says about the cards, but I suspect the imagery of the cards is what might trigger your memory at an appropriate future time -- be sure to pay them attention. :)

draws cards. Refers back to SpaceGoat's draw for you
Well that's interesting.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

mmm not easy, I see many possible interpretations here. Trust your intuition or the intuition of a woman you know. In both cases it's important you make yourself heard if you expect help. Stop focusing on that feeling of being stuck, and instead visualize how you would like to start making progress again. If you are single, this draw could also represent meeting a female partner.

The bird cards also seem pretty sure you're going to meet a partner, lol. This reading seems so straightforward that I am deeply skeptical that I am not missing something about it in favor of the obvious read... but I guess sometimes things just are the obvious read, huh? Could be.

The Lovers. A romantic connection, affection, partnership. A harmonious relationship with a deep mutual respect and understanding. A commitment, sometimes predicated by a choice or a decision made by being truthful in matters of the heart (speaking out at the right opportunity?). Two of Cups continues this line of thought. It's a strong connection or attraction between two people; possibly someone new to your life or way of thinking. It represents unity, mutuality, shared goals, harmony; a supportive and balanced relationship. 2C does specify it could be a friendship, collaboration, or business partnership rather than the certainty of romantic; but the Lovers was pretty emphatic there, and nestled on the other side of 2C is The Star, which is hope. Hope, inspiration, optimism; guidance, direction, serenity. It suggests a period of peace and healing after tumultuous times; the one piece of specific advice it has for you is to be open to this as a time to share your gifts with others or the universe, and to receive gifts from others as well. :)

So I guess if you meet a great person soon, see something that reminds you of a tarot card, and take an opportunity to ask them out successfully... let us know! :buddy:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Hooplah posted:

lmao, wow. these cards are being very clear with me regarding my present situation. i was being deliberately vague because it's mildly embarrassing, apologies, and the thing you're referring to being under my nose is that it's against my morals. basically there was a woman i briefly met back in my early 20s that i was completely enamored with for about a year despite knowing almost nothing about her. she left my mind soon after and i've obviously grown up a lot since then, as i'm mid-30s. no contact with her or our mutual friend since. this summer i stumbled across a bit of her online presence through mutuals and saw that we have a lot in common. basically like shared interests and i had never approached her due to assuming we hadn't had anything in common. it hit me kinda hard for a couple weeks reviewing the way my choices went back then and how different things could've been, and how my 20s were mostly dictated by my unhappiness due to my own complacency and indecision.

anyway, there's a big through-current here of a need to follow what i think is right and introspect in the face of my feelings of breakup/passions/ardor. this uhhh makes a lot of sense as this all happened when my wife was like 8 months pregnant and things have been generally challenging due to a hard pregnancy and caring for a newborn. obviously i'm in no way wanting to step out on her or see what could've been, and this is basically what the cards are saying to me here. i mean, a symbol of male fertility in the weakness/obstacle spot couldn't be more obvious to me. e- whoops this is two hearts not pierced hearts. i guess it's still a similar meaning in that position though?

am i on the right track with my interpretation?

Since SpaceGoat's auguries have been playing really nicely with mine I thought it might be okay to chime in here. You are correct. These are some very emphatic birds.

The woman you were infatuated with is the Queen of Wands -- confident, charismatic, alluring, a force. It's understandable you felt the way you did. But the past is past and pursuing her now would lead to upheaval and destruction. The Tower is bad. That is like, the one thing I knew about tarot cards going into this. Do not make The Tower happen. Fixating on her will destroy things that you and people around you have worked hard for. There is no future there. The Chariot, on the other hand, is here for you. It suggests discipline, drive, control. Pushing forward to overcome obstacles; keeping your path purposeful and your willpower strong. Good things are in reach if you carry on carrying on. From determination follows success. Don't lose your path now.

e: lol, just saw this post again. Just look at all that fire

LITERALLY A BIRD has issued a correction as of 17:21 on Sep 11, 2023

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Riot Bimbo posted:

The Saucer Hovers you are genuinely doing God's work, bless.

💯

watching you fly through these complex detailed personal readings is fabulous from a novice POV too. super impressive, very blessed :)

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

The Demilich posted:

Want to ask the bird deck about my love life.
A card with a erect Himalayan snowcock crowing at the moon is pulled. The next card bears a pair of great American bushtits flying over an oasis.

I begin to sweat.

:lol:

given, again, my recent membership to club cartomancy, I’m not fully comfortable yet giving people random life advice from what the cards are saying to me. Regardless of whether I believe in the communication of tarot, I believe in not giving out potentially irresponsible advice that I don’t myself entirely understand. Saucer and SpaceGoat are really good at this, they definitely seem to know what they are doing! But I can’t read this language yet like they do, and I can never truly know how much stock the person asking is going to put in the answer they receive… so I don’t want to flippantly psychologically meddle in other people’s lives.

But, you asked for the bird deck specifically, so with those disclaimers out of the way: hey bird cards. What’s up with “the Demilich”’s love life?

Interestingly for the third draw Queen of Pentacles and King of Swords came out together. Are you currently in a relationship? Could these birds be the two of you? The Queen of Pentacles is described as being loving and practical, somebody generous and with a spirit capable of deep connections. QP is a loyal friend and partner, kind, truly supportive. The King of Swords is an intellectual; a strategist. KS thinks clearly and analytically, logically, and is capable of great impartiality; the guidebook notes this appearance can indicate a situation needing some impartiality of its own. Is it possible the King in your lovelife is allowing rationality to override the Queen’s need for emotional connection? I ask because of the presence of King of Cups, which has a sense of being the advice offered here. The King of Cups “is known for his emotional intelligence and maturity.” It suggests a need for emotional balance in a relationship; it is associated with compassion and understanding. This King listens to others and offers emotional support to those in need. As to how to provide that emotional support a KC might bring — Six of Cups represents a nostalgic journey into the past. It is a reminder of “the good old days,” soft joyful memories. It invites you to take some time to reminisce. Look back together at how far you’ve come, the wounds you’ve healed, the experiences you’ve shared.

LITERALLY A BIRD has issued a correction as of 00:50 on Sep 12, 2023

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Chewbecca posted:

May I please also get a reading from a kind tarot goon?

My question is about jobs/vocation. I am not sure what direction I should be focussing my energy and/or what I am doing 'wrong' when it comes to finding a new job. I dm feeling very flat at the moment and would appreciate some guidance

Thank you if you spend time on me!

I concur with SpaceGoat re: allowing the UFO thread to go back to talking about UFOs for a while, but I think you were the only person overlooked from the batch of requests a couple pages ago. So. Bird cards, can you please offer some advice to my friend "Chewbacca", to help them in their job hunt?

So this was the first draw I did. I ended up doing a second one for you because it seemed only indirectly helpful -- here's why. Sometimes my first pull reads like it is just re-stating my question. This seems completely valid to me; re-stating someone's question before answering it is a perfectly common communication technique between two humans even, and it is nice to check in and make sure two conversation participants are not talking past each other. But it means the first draw is not actually an answer, it is just an establishing shot. The first draw reads:

Page of Pentacles. A new opportunity, often related to work, finances or study. A goal, ambition, but also laying practical plans for achievement. it is a card for "manifestation," in the sense of learning new trades, skills, or knowledges that bring your desires into the world. Great! This was indeed your question. In my three-card pulls (which are basic beginner draws, I have yet to practice anything fancy) the third card is often the "heaviest" presence in the read. It can be the goal, or an outside influence, an ambition or a limiter. The King of Pentacles feels like your "goal" card, a sort of moth/caterpillar to the Page. It symbolizes material wealth and financial success. It has strong entrepreneural energy; it suggests a positive outcome if you approach your goals and desires seriously, pragmatically, methodically. KP asks for patience and perseverance, but promises you will enjoy the fruits of your labor in the end.

So if Page Pentacles is the caterpillar and King Pentacles a great beautiful moth, Five of Swords is the chrysalis. Check that card out, Chewbacca. Since I have not had this deck very long I do not even yet know what most of the cards look like but I would absolutely wager this is the one with the most aesthetic similarity to your avatar. Your center card, transformation card I guess, is a rough one. It indicates conflict and tension; a feeling of defeat. Someone in your life might be acting a bit like a bully. This card suggests a "win at all costs" mentality is in play; it's critical of this attitude, not endorsing it, but it's also not accusing you specifically of being that energy source. Are you being pushed aside by someone else's hunger for success? There is a lack of harmony where you are now. You would benefit from re-evaluating the situation.

So basically those all kind of sound like they are restating your OP, don't they? Especially with the 5S art matching your avatar so closely. They're definitely participating in the conversation but they aren't providing any new information yet. So now that we know the bird cards heard the question we asked -- okay, bird cards. Chewbacca knows they need to change their situation to go from Page to King. They know they will need to pay attention and work hard. But they are asking for some help in finding that momentum. How should they start?

Seven of Cups. Opportunity, opportunity! This card says there is a world of them out there for you. Consider all your possibilities as you contemplate moving forward. Remember that not all of them are probable, and that some are much closer to home than others. But take a little time to see all the branches splitting off the road before you. Find one of the ones that speaks to you and pursue it with the patience, diligence, and determination of King Pentacles. Another Pentacle is your guidance to help winnow out all your options from 7C; Two of Pentacles is flexibility, change, balance, staying flexible and balanced while things change. Invest your time in promising leads; but if a path you're following suddenly seems a dead end, move on and try a new one. Trust your insight in this maze of paths and options. The Queen of Swords is a clear thinker, an articulate speaker, independent and self-reliant. There is no one better here to help you see true. She has faced a lifetime of challenges and applies the lessons she has learned to each new experience. She is shrewd, courageous, and honest. Her -- your -- life experience will guide you faithfully to what comes next, if you study your paths through her eyes. Are there any particular life experiences you have had that connect to your job search somehow? Looking at those may be a place to start.

edit: omg :lol: I just finally realized you are Chewbecca, not Chewbacca. I will accept the bird cards as reprising my original statement when I asked about "Chewbacca," to make sure we were in fact talking about the same person, actually "Chewbecca," before moving ahead. That's fair :lol:

LITERALLY A BIRD has issued a correction as of 15:52 on Sep 12, 2023

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

toggle posted:

could someone card me too please?

question: where should i focus my energy?

bonus bird image for your troubles, thxing you

I have one more tarot post in me because my boyfriend was stunned I had not planned to consult the cards for the person who brought an actual bird offering for the bird oracles. I have been approaching tarot from a religion-based belief system rather than purely magical and so I will not argue with the ontological logic behind "they brought an offering," the first time around anyway. Bird cards, our friend "toggle" brought you a bird image. Please show us some bird images that will help them understand where to focus their energy, and thank you.

We start at the beginning with the Page of Wands. Look at that baby Raven. This card represents beginnings, formations, the first step of a journey, the first spark of a blaze. The first note of a new composition. Who inspires you? This card is enthusiastic, exuberant, optimistic. It says it's okay to leave your comfort zone. The strength of your beginning is what will carry you through the journey ahead represented by Seven of Wands. Things might get tough! They may seem scary! But even as you're facing down new challenges -- you have the high ground. Stand firm! You have the strength of your convictions to bear you through, and they will. And when they do -- you will find yourself borne to the energy of the Six of Pentacles. It is a card of charity, and generosity; it is asking you to give back. It suggests fair balance and reciprocity; debts being repaid. It is the flow of giving and receiving. Are you being asked to give back to whomever provided the support of Page of Wands energy earlier in life? Or does someone else, possibly, owe a debt to you? 6P suggests you focus your energy somewhere around sharing and mutuality. Observe the Raven bringing fish to the other birds, just as the Raven was once provided for by others.

Thank you for the bird picture :)

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:five:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Barry Foster posted:

I don't believe I've posted it yet so I'll post it now and join the chorus

Welcome to the thread, LITERALLY A BIRD :unsmith: I'm really glad you're here.

It was like you were fated to be here, right? :)

:glomp: hey, thank you friend, those are all really kind things to say. I appreciate you and everyone else who has been so welcoming :lovebird: blessings.

I had not initially realized this was also a de facto ontology thread alongside UAP/UFO stuff, when I began following along. It's very rad.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

mediaphage posted:

LAB is the best in every thread sorry about the rest of you

:lovebird: you’re too kind lol. I am happy to bring good cheer.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

is this "birds"?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

awesome

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Um, no, I'm sorry. Aliens can't be real today. It is my birthday. That is much too divergent for today. Any other day is fine.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

sharknado slashfic posted:

It's my mom's birthday too, happy birthday! You are now bird pilled, :getin:

happy birthday to your mom! :buddy:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Milosh posted:

Reddit is saying the dude has paraded these mummies around before. I'm choosing to ignore that for this moment tho

Yeah I have changed my mind. It can be real today. Give us the bird men

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

sharknado slashfic posted:

[UFOs] Buddy they don't even let me gently caress the bird mummies

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Chewbecca posted:

Thank you so much, this resonated so much. And believe me friend, you're not the first and won't be the last to misread my name :wookie:
:glomp: you're super welcome. I am really glad the bird cards had something helpful for you -- toggle and fanfic too :)

Barry Foster posted:

The fact these were presented not by but to the Mexican government by the Latin American version of Greer/Knapp means they're definitely, clearly, obviously fake.

Also also happy birthday LAB! Sorry/not sorry you didn't get alien bodies for your birthday
Hahaha thank you, I think this is for the better. I had just popped two gummies ahead of pulling up Event Horizon for some spooky birth anniversary evening watching and was like... Seriously?? Now??? You have got to be making GBS threads me.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

D-Pad posted:

Somebody please do a tarot read regarding the latinaitees

There are Crows perched on my roof bawling their lungs out. Okay bird cards, we are past the initial shock of this announcement. What is going on with these bodies that have been presented to the Mexican Congress? Are they going to permanently influence belief in non-human intelligence?

Ten Cups -- excitement! Fulfillment! Happiness! Joy and harmony! Three of Swords -- heartbreak! Sorrow! Emotional pain! A break-up or betrayal! Truth through painful circumstances! Judgment -- rebirth, renewal, spiritual awakening, coming closer to your ultimate cosmic purpose :wth:

I don't think these ones are it, but the game's not over yet. stay strong, bird believers

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I have a little backyard/garden patch that is primarily a food and rest stop for neighborhood birds, I keep it stocked in seeds and water sources and it's pretty well overgrown with a wild assortment of grasses and crawlers and vines that my many many little visitors have shat out and fertilized over the last year and a half. A couple weeks ago I identified the most aggressive plant presence as being some kind of nightshade, so that was fun and only moderately concerning. Anyway I know I have observed a few times that I am new to cartomancy; I started learning divination in what I guess I would refer to as "the traditional way" and also "the hard way," via augury. Like, uh, the kind on y'all's gangtag. Bird watching. The birds that come to my garden were great for initial practice. Augury has been effective enough to get me believing in divination, but it is rarely as "on demand" as would be ideal.

Anyway I went out back to feed the birds and the first thing I spotted was what appeared to be an entire egg in the leaves of the area where I usually uh, dispose of depleted ritual components. It is an "ontologically significant" place to spot a potential omen. The egg wasn't there yesterday, I did toggle's reading right by that spot.

Flip the egg over; it is in fact just an egg shell and not an entire egg. It is still very timely and surprising to see it here this morning. I read the initial impression of a still-intact egg as the augury equivalent of the cartomancy Ten of Cups (promise, excitement, expectation); its reveal as an empty shell as the same as the Three of Swords (sorrow, disappointment, difficult truth); but the egg itself is a symbol of new birth and discovery and that is pretty thoroughly established. Being delivered a proper augury with that symbol this morning indicates there is some cosmological/ontological significance churning along in the background; there is something out there in living reality that owes its future to the events of our recent past, implied by the evidence that has been left behind and discovered. Good stuff. Judgment.

Very convenient for me to get an omen this morning I can explain alongside a matching card reading, I know, but I would have interpreted the surprise eggshell the same way even if I hadn't performed that draw. And having both sets of data to be able to compare the "language" of the cards with the "vibes" of the eggshell seemed fun enough to share.

original location

glamour shot ft. a nightshade plant

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Currently existing in a powerful quantum dimension where I don't believe the alien bird men bodies are real, and also, deeply require a universe that proves my certainty wrong

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

kraft dinner posted:

wicked. thanks

Turpitude nailed it :) I pre-ordered the first printing because when I came across the preview images it just really spoke to me in a way I've never connected with other tarot card pictures I have seen. Not even the Crow tarot deck by the same artist, which is her flagship piece. I definitely think having the right "tools" is part of success, in mystic or magic endeavors as in many others. When she started sharing about The Raven's Dream my brain went "okay, it's time. That's the one."

The Demilich posted:

Tarot bird cards, please comment on my dying love life

Hey bird cards. It's me and "The Demilich" again. Please comment helpfully on their lovelife... thank you :)

I remember your previous draw was capped by both the emotionally generous Queen Pentacles and the logical, rational King... Swords, was it? I parsed them as you and your partner and the read suggested the Queen in the relationship needed the rational King to do a little better of a job reaching her level emotionally. It's also possible both Queen and King were representative of you, suggesting you can react to your current situation with QP's emotional insight or KS's logical one (and recommending the former). Reviving that context might be helpful for this draw.

Page of Cups, like all the pages I think, notes a new beginning. It suggests a period where you begin to learn to listen to your instincts and intuition. It encourages curiosity and openness; it asks you to be open to new sensations and experiences. It asks for emotional vulnerability, opening up to and acknowledging the rhythm and flow of your emotional life. Four of Wands is celebration! It indicates a joyful occasion, a time of unity, peace, and harmony in your relationships. It is often associated with both home life, and accomplishment and pride. Is someone hurting, Demilich? Feeling emotionally overlooked and neglected? I would guess if so it is the same individual previously represented by the Queen of Pentacles, and her emotional needs need attended to. She is not being unreasonable. The last card in this draw is the Empress -- she reads like the QP again, but big. Emphatic. She is an enormously positive presence. She is deeply connected to those around her, loving, empathetic and compassionate; she is creative and nuturing and asking for that same energy from those around her. She is asking for the expression of love, understanding, and emotional support, just as she patiently and consistently provides those around her. Please emotionally provide for her. Or if she is you -- are you comfortable expressing to your partner they aren't meeting your emotional needs? I don't think they are malicious; they just might not communicate by default the way you do. But they have to try.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

if you want to keep it alive, fight for it (don't hurt anyone though)

:yeah:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

fanfic insert posted:

a friend of mine wrote in a group chat about a dream he had where he became lucid(he realized it was a dream because Sauron told him he had killed 40k and he thought him using K was weird and realized it was a dream) so I of course asked him if he could regularly achieve it and he said it happened sometimes. BUT, he also said that the weirdest was that one time where he'd gone to sleep very exhausted and had appeared as floating above his own sleeping body and gone on to fly around watching other people.

So I go "That's an OOBE!" and I've now proceeded to enroll the chat into doing remove viewing experiments. I did one over the night with very little instructions, just "I put a thing in this here box [picture], tell yourselves you want to know what's in it and report back with a guess", it was a little bit more involved than just that but you get the gist.

The item i had in the box was a standard light bulb and he came back with the guess "a smooth rock". Near hit? He based the guess on what he dreamed about.

(the others were flat out wrong)

Also this owns lmao. My coworkers often tell me about their dreams. One of them recently dreamed a spooky old woman was trying to grab her and her son, and they were locked in the bedroom with her and she kept getting closer...! My coworker was wearing her mask and keeping her distance from us that day and I asked if she was getting sick. "Yeah, [my son] and I started coming down with it yesterday." She liked being told she had not just had a dream, she had had a premonition :lol:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I liked this part:

quote:

There are two approaches to detecting anomalies in large datasets. If you are looking for a needle in a haystack one approach is to have a detailed model of the properties of needles and look for anvthing that looks like a needle The other approach is to have an accurate model of the properties of hay and look for anything that looks different from hay.

In the first approach, if one knows the signal to expect, a model (or simulations) can be developed to look for that signal in large datasets. While we may be able to anticipate the sorts of signals produced by physical systems that adhere to known laws of physics, we cannot comprehensively envision all possible signals that could explain UAP, or that come from new technology or new physics (were it adversarial, extraterrestrial, or a naturally occurring but as-of-yet unknown phenomena).

The alternative approach to detecting anomalies requires a deep and thorough knowledge of what is normal and known, which can subsequently be separated from what is anomalous and unknown.

[...]

A recommendation about which methodologies specifically should be applied to this problem cannot be given at this time, as that selection depends on the nature of the data to be analyzed. Thus this question should be asked after (or ideally together with) the questions pertaining to UP observing platforms and curated repositories for UP data. Once the nature of the data is established, selecting algorithms for their analysis can be completed.

However what I liked about it was just that it points out they basically need to create an entire brand new framework to sort and study leads and findings in the field. The existing scientific method wasn't really designed around these kinds of data sets. "We will start with, What is normal?" Great, I am sure that will be a very simple easy and straightforward place for you to start. I am excited for your progress.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Hooplah posted:

this'll probably be buried by the nasa conference but that's cool. i just had a very interesting tarot-related experience that i have to share.

i got a r-w deck yesterday to try dipping my toes into this as the reads here have piqued my interest big time. this morning i did a big kindergarten shuffle to really randomize the cards and while doing so i focused on what the cards identified with, or how they would like me to see them. i pulled Justice. cool. getting a major arcana right off the bat, and such a direct-meaning one, felt good. makes sense. next, I did a quick shuffle and asked how the cards saw me. i pulled temperance in reverse. i'm just using the little booklet for interpretation, and all it says for temperance reversed is churches, priesthood, religions, sects, unfortunate combinations, disunion, competing interests. that really didn't mean much to me, and i was wondering how that could fit, but not coming up with much. started wondering if i should be ignoring the reversed meanings for now while i get acquainted. i started another kindergarten shuffle, thinking about that temperance card and what it might mean to me, kinda feeling confused and like it maybe didn't mean as much as the first pull. as i'm gathering the cards up into a deck after shuffling, a random card gets caught on another and pops out, right in front of me. the card was temperance, in reverse, right in the spot i pulled it before. not sideways or crooked or anything, it was literally like i pulled it out on purpose.

i audibly cackled when i saw this and decided to read a bit more online for some insight into this card reversed, because obviously the cards were very insistent i internalize that draw. what i learned on various tarot sites is so on the nose it's almost comical. lately my biggest challenge in life at home has been regulating my emotions and maintaining patience, especially important as my wife and i are caring for our newborn. it's been a serious challenge for me to not get frustrated when i'm unable to comfort him. and i've always had an issue avoiding responsibility in favor of doing something i enjoy, causing imbalance in my life and serious friction in relationships. it's been a major theme in my life, especially as i take on more responsibility. (i'm getting better though! :shobon:)

so yeah. pretty loving weird, and i legitimately felt like i was being communicated with.

Hooplah this owns 💗💗💗

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

The Saucer Hovers posted:

yeah its a game of imaginal conversation. the more it feels like play the better. not all practice is pious. id you find you like the game id recommend Meditations on the Tarot: A Journey into Christian Hermeticism. It used to be rare and expensive but was just republished. If you become convinced of intervening externalities and want learn how to play with them better, The Trickster and the Paranormal.

I feel like I am actually in the minority these days for using religious belief to suspend my dis-. Strong concur that any number of doors can get you into the knowledge chamber, each person just needs to use the one their life has brought them to.

LITERALLY A BIRD has issued a correction as of 16:25 on Sep 14, 2023

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

philosopher Mikhail Bakhtin viewed the entire act of living as a dialogue, a push and pull, between the individual and others/the world/etc. Truth and meaning could only be discovered through this interplay, and allowing for an internal dialogue rather than a monologue is a way to let this process play out

love this, thank you :monocle:

Hooplah posted:

thanks friends! i'm having fun :glomp:

and you're super welcome, learning/practicing has been super rewarding for me so far -- I hope for you it's the same 💗

LITERALLY A BIRD has issued a correction as of 17:21 on Sep 14, 2023

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

It does indeed feel like whatever is pulling the strings in this show, it did want to be known by a wider audience. Feels like a strange timing with all the current efforts about disclosure and the talks about an "apocalypse"

An excuse me?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

A great unveiling

Dope.

I didn't know that was a thing :tinfoil:

LITERALLY A BIRD has issued a correction as of 17:49 on Sep 14, 2023

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

and not to put you on the spot but I will second Barry's invitation to share your story, only if you want to :)

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

you got the mummy card because the mummy is real and the cross communication is interfering sorry

lmao that this was literally true

drat mummies

more seriously I guess, are you communicating in the way your partner wants you to communicate, or the way you want to communicate? The way things are expressed matters. Bird cards keep banging on about listening to intuition and -- doing something romantic, maybe? Helping them feel special? Showing them they are special?

LITERALLY A BIRD has issued a correction as of 18:10 on Sep 14, 2023

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

The Demilich posted:

There is no partner technically,.I'm simply trying to get more conversations out of someone I've known for a decade who lives an hour away that I really want to date. I'm not asking for daily 8 hour phone calls or anything, but the ability to at least get a text back in a timely manner would be cool.

Twofold thought is that (1) the intuition you're being asked to listen to might be saying "she isn't interested." But also (2) the previous reading we did had a card talking about nostalgia, trips down memory lane, the good old days. If not (1), then try a conversation inspired by (2)?

e: honestly going back and looking at your birds, with the additional context, reads to me a bit more like "be happy with all the love and support you have gotten from the friendship, please understand it's not the right time for her for more"

e2 to explain the divergent readings. Consider this an exercise for me as much as you! Our initial reading was King Cups, Six Cups, and Queen Pentacles/King Swords doubled up for the third card. I had no context at all for the initial read -- wasn't even 💯 you were seriously asking :) but two cards on the third pull of a relationship draw makes sense as representing two people so I went with that. King Cups, a card representing emotional insight and maturity, felt like what was being "asked" of you, the person under advisement. Someone in the QP/KS pairing (and it felt like the KS, in part because it was physically half-concealing the Queen on draw) needed to be more of a KC. And what would emotional wisdom from the King look like? 6C, a card representing nostalgia, good memories, shared experiences/journeys. So with me guessing the context of "two people in a relationship," it reads as though a partner needs to develop some emotional understanding and maybe provide other person emotional support in ways that express how special they are, what love they have shared over years. Knowing the correct context of "two people that have been friends for a long time, but not in a relationship," suggests instead the emotional wisdom is understanding that she may not be interested in more than this, and accepting the value inherent in your years of friendship instead.

it's like how the same sentence, used in two different paragraphs, can have the same words and same construction and still convey meaning in two enormously different ways.

LITERALLY A BIRD has issued a correction as of 19:48 on Sep 14, 2023

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

🐦‍⬛🐦‍⬛🐦‍⬛

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

ArmZ posted:

euphronius posted:

The astral plane is great but remember it’s just another set of forms
*forums

reality is dialectical
astral planes are forums
logos is Just Post

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

kraft dinner posted:

it def was the first deck to make me go “yep that’s the one!”

:lovebird: highly recommend! The woman who made it did fantastic work, it's just beautiful. The fact it's so pretty is much of what emboldened me to share that first reading the other day. "Even if I am bad at tarot. At the very least. people can look at some beautiful bird pictures"

edit: the Raven deck isn't on its second printing yet, but I should link her shop anyway

LITERALLY A BIRD has issued a correction as of 22:51 on Sep 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Trichordates

We all know it

theropods