Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
It's interesting that the two times I had high strangeness experience I was high (a huge meteor lighting up the sky but wasn't reported on the news and something like the Hum. The hum was even confirmed by a friend and lasted almost an hour)

I'm now trying to stay high 24/7 to increase my chance of high strangeness experiences.

e: spelling

SpaceGoatFarts has issued a correction as of 13:01 on Oct 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Barry Foster posted:

I am also afraid of dying, and I'm particularly afraid of dying knowing that I've lived the wrong life. But of course, constantly worrying about that is making me, uh, live the wrong life lol

Also I guess you do realize that this is entirely subjective. Only you can determine whether you lived the "right" or "wrong" life. That means it's something you have control over. Also means you have to be able to explain what you consider to be a "right" life, otherwise you'll spend the rest of your life wondering if you lived according to standards you haven't even defined in the first place.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Nichael posted:

the catholic church pre-emptively did a "well yea" already too

I'm not an expert in Catholicism but it seems to me there's a tradition of science and religion being two different fields and not opposed to each other's. Take George Lemaître who theorized the Big Bang, Mendl and genetics. I might also be biased because my great uncle was a nuclear physicist and a priest, but since then all the monks and priests I talked to were well educated and acknowledging all the discoveries of science. To them religion is strictly about morality and spirituality which are fields that science isn't really studying, so no competition.

I also remember reading that the Vatican had a program to search exoplanets when it was the new big thing. I'm pretty certain they have already contemplated the possibility of alien life, not as a threat to their beliefs, but has a new perspective for them.

SpaceGoatFarts has issued a correction as of 21:00 on Oct 24, 2022

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

mandatory lesbian posted:

Theres no reason to believe in anything beyond, so anyone smart wouldnt

Why have humans from all times and all cultures been doing it since forever then? :shrug:

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Butternubs posted:

Humans are notoriously dumb.

It's fine and probably correct to be spiritual but all of the main organised religions were created/manipulated to control the masses and they're lame.

Believing in jesus is the same as thinking ETs look like greys, the most basic belief.

The post I quoted made no mention of religions.

We know prehistoric humans believed in an afterlife and a spirit world, and it seems most humans through history did, regardless of religions.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Lampsacus posted:

As Art Bell would say "Listen, I believe in God, I do. I know there has to be someone up there. But some of these more... Fundementalist Christians, well I am open to convincing but remain skeptical of their party line let's just say that. Pat Buchanan however is just great. Top of the hour. We're going to take a short break and then it's open lines."

The US were partly founded by religious fundies (and they still have a tremendous influence) so yes, it's understable if Americans are wary of religions. In a way the US today are like the Iran or Saudi Arabia of the Christian world. I would probably be anti-religious too if I was born in the US

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah but we all know they had tiny caveman brains

Probably from all the weed they were smoking in the stone age

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Barry Foster posted:

More like the STONED age amirite :grin:

:hmmyes:

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Barry Foster posted:

lol but what is experiencing the memories? "We perceive the world as a memory" - what does the perceiving??

Yeah, if consciousness is memories, but memories alone aren't consciousness, we're back to the original question.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

The Chad Jihad posted:

I always waste my lucid dreams being a perv

When I was having more lucid dreams I did something I read about and tried looking at me in a mirror. I saw myself 30 years older.

Being a perv is probably funnier

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Barry Foster posted:

Was it an accurate vision?

Yes pretty accurate. I remember it looked like the result of one of these phone apps that makes you older or changes your gender.

That's also the reason it's the lucid dream I remember the most.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Pontificating rear end posted:

I feel basically 100% sure I can remember some past-life stuff, because as a kid you can channel that kind of stuff and I liked thinking about it. Some of the 'memories' I'd think about would feel like they occurred before I was born, and I interpreted them as past-life memories without putting much thought into it. I can remember fairly specifically how I died in my very past life. And vague memories of being a spirit looking for parents to incarnate with. It could all be childish daydreams, but why, as a child would I daydream about this and not Tonka trucks. There's no spirituality in my family, so it's not from an outside influence.

Roughly ten years ago, a had psychotic break that resulted in me not being to sleep for days, and subsequently very strange things happening. I could probably write about it another time, but one of the fun things I remember was at some point I decided to smoke some weed, which was of course a bad idea given my lack of sleep and the whole psychotic break thing.

So I immediately find myself falling on the couch and it's like I'm dying and then everything is pitch black and calm. I'm in the Void and I feel fine. There I suddenly feel like I need to chose my next incarnation, which was funny because I didn't believe in reincarnation. So I'm alone in the dark, thinking "uh I haven't thought about that, kind of caught me off guard here". Then I think about the person I know who I would like the most as my dad and it's one of my cousins.

Of course nothing really happens, it was just a weird weed dream. I woke up and I'm on the couch, very much alive.

Then a few days later (around 3 I would say) out of the blue I receive a mail from my cousin who tells me they just had their third son. And his first name is very close to mine.

It could have been I heard his wife was expecting, but I'm positive I didn't. I rarely see them, like once every five years, and it had been a long time I had seen them.

My brain says it's just a coincidence so it's easier to process, but I'm secretly afraid my cousins third son will one day say something to my face that will creep me out. Like "I know who you are" or something like that :mildpanic:

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

quote:

spooky things kids say

My daughter today;
"Daddy I made a drawing of you, mom, me, little brother and my friends"

:ghost:

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I just wanna see some weird poo poo

Have you tried salvia?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
2 millions blocks is based on the assumption the interior of the great pyramid is nothing but huge blocks. I don't think this has ever been proved, right?

Could also be smaller blocks / filling

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Sleekly posted:

i would like to know more about the nazca lines and all those other huge drawings but it seems like one of those side scenes ruled by dudes like hancock or von daniken

its cool a society would draw those things so permanently but its hard to find just contextual stuff about why. if anyone knows a good book or doco id be obliged

From what I remember, most common explanation is they are procession paths to follow during sacred/religious events. Similar to the labyrinths of antiquity.

The fact that the images depicted are only visible from the sky led some people to claim they are messages for space visitors, when it could simply be a message to the god of rain or something similar.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
They are coming

https://twitter.com/Billyhottakes/status/1593307410684313603?s=20&t=bc-Qto6Wu5h0DFO2yLquhA

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I had no idea they made a UFO printer a decade ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R10n23KlPrM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slKSea83VGw

SpaceGoatFarts has issued a correction as of 15:19 on Nov 22, 2022

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Apparently this is a known symptom of listeria in cattle, but they are supposed to die from it after a few days and it hasn't happened

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Polo-Rican posted:

This video kicks rear end. Nobody has proven this one to be faked, right?

Probably something like this (helium filled foam) which apparently is becoming more popular and that more people are trying at home with simple equipment:

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Polo-Rican posted:

Ehh

Hmm, yeah I could imagine one of these foam things looking a lot like the ufo vid, especially if it's been floating around and disintegrating for a while. The vivid sparkles in the ufo video are odd though - hard to imagine the foam reflecting sunlight in that way

People who do this at home make the foam with simple bubbles (water+soap+sugar) and helium to make bubbles.

It would be much more reflective and also why it disintegrates more. One large bubble in the foam could catch more light with a larger flat surface

SpaceGoatFarts has issued a correction as of 20:56 on Nov 25, 2022

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

I haven't listened to the interview; is he claiming there's a psychic gene or something that's correlated to your chance of seeing a UAP?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Bilirubin posted:

No, he' s saying that some high functioning individuals have extra wiring in the part of the brain connecting the caudate nucleus and putamen which is associated with information processing, intuition, and executive decision making, and this expanded area runs in families. This expanded area is rare however, so the odds that people with these expanded areas randomly finding each other is low, which makes sense because people tend to be attracted to individuals of similar intellectual capacity. But, if folks with the caudate--putamen expansion continue to find each other and mate preferentially, this could lead to speciation in *spitballs number from out of the air since he's an immunologist* 100,000 years or so.

The thing is that we really don't know how widespread this brain neurology really is in the population, so he's encouraging postdocs to set up a web site that folks can submit their own MRI scans to get evaluated whether they have it or not. This will satisfy the curious out there, and help them generate populational data [editor's note: but this will be a self selected, and thus potentially biased, sample]

Thanks. Yes "extra wiring associated to intuition/information processing" that's what I was jokingly calling the psychic gene. Also he seems to be claiming that extra wiring is more common among people who witnessed UATs (based on his data)?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

D-Pad posted:

I would guess neuron density in distinct areas of the brain is on a bell curve, and there is nothing particularly interesting about finding folks a standard deviation or two from the norm. What is interesting is the prevalence of that small population in the experiences studied. Does it require the density to have these experiences or does the phenomena seek those people out?

There really isn't much to read into it beyond that. A lot of people in the reddit thread including the OP read things into it and made assumptions that Nolan did not say. He didn't say there is a breeding program run by the greys with the goal of propagating this trait. He just found it interesting that they found the trait in several husband and wife pairs which suggests they might seek each other out and mused if that was the case you might expect a separate population to emerge on a long enough time frame.

Isn't neuron density and efficiency also a characteristic of "giftedness" ? Because from what I read on the topic, "gifted" (vs neurotypical) people tend to frequent more people with similar thought process, humor, interest and thus end up with more neurodivergent friends and partners.
Also that they had a greater interest in the paranormal and/or spiritual than the neurotypical population.

Wondering if Nolan isn't simply rediscovering neurodivergence.

But as you say the interesting question remains :
Does it require the density to have these experiences or does the phenomena seek those people out?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Glah posted:

I don't know if this gives more credence to all that loosh/prison planet theories or to something else. I have some moral qualms about the idea that we all some higher spirits/spirit, who choose to be here with all the experiences, relatively good and the absolutely bad suffering experiences being ultimately a willing choice. In that sense I guess that prison planet idea would make more moral sense to me, we didn't choose this, there just are some evil entities loving with us and the galaxy-brain Liam Neeson hasn't found out about this dungeon we are trapped in.

Evil entities loving with us to feed on our suffering makes no sense. If we are cattle for higher dimensional entities, then we are just that; cattle. There would be no advantage in making us suffer like there is no advantage in making the animals we raise for meat suffer. Suffering is just an unavoidable aspect of being alive. Just like sadness is an unavoidable aspect of love.

When people wish for no more suffering and sadness I don't think they fully realize the implications. Death and apathy.

Always loved these verses by Gibran:

Then said Almitra, Speak to us of Love.
And he raised his head and looked upon
the people, and there fell a stillness upon
them. And with a great voice he said:
When love beckons to you, follow him,
Though his ways are hard and steep.
And when his wings enfold you yield to
him,
Though the sword hidden among his
pinions may wound you.
And when he speaks to you believe in
him,
Though his voice may shatter your dreams
as the north wind lays waste the garden.

For even as love crowns you so shall he
crucify you. Even as he is for your growth
so is he for your pruning.
Even as he ascends to your height and
caresses your tenderest branches that quiver
in the sun,
So shall he descend to your roots and
shake them in their clinging to the earth.

Like sheaves of corn he gathers you unto
himself.
He threshes you to make you naked.
He sifts you to free you from your husks.
He grinds you to whiteness.
He kneads you until you are pliant;
And then he assigns you to his sacred
fire, that you may become sacred bread for
God’s sacred feast.

All these things shall love do unto you
that you may know the secrets of your
heart, and in that knowledge become a
fragment of Life’s heart.

But if in your fear you would seek only
love’s peace and love’s pleasure,
Then it is better for you that you cover
your nakedness and pass out of love’s
threshing-floor,
Into the seasonless world where you
shall laugh, but not all of your laughter,
and weep, but not all of your tears.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Glah posted:

Well it would make sense if it is the suffering itself these entities feed upon. Just like it would make sense that humans would make cattle suffer if it was the adrenaline filled meat that is created from animal's fear that humans were addicted to. Twisted and evil kind of sense, but sense nevertheless.

Yes but in that case we would probably be kept inside torture devices to maximize our suffering instead of letting us free roam and subject ourselves to random suffering depending on circumstances. Efficiency!

We need to imagine our hardship and suffering have a reason, a purpose, to give them meaning, because it's very difficult for us to deal with a meaningless world. Always easier to imagine our lives are guided by invisible hands so we can blame them for the things we don't like, so we don't have to face our own responsibility.

I'm like everyone in that I don't like to suffer, but I don't think we need to invent a reason for the existence of suffering besides it being a survival mechanism to avoid danger.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

ah right on
people have been going on about future human stuff for a while now but if that was the case you really gotta wonder why they've been at it for 70 years+all of human history and still hosed it up enough to render nuclear apocalypse inevitable

We are stuck in a time paradox. The apocalypse has to happen otherwise there would be no reason for the future humans to warn us, so all their attempts are bound to fail.

Next step is they try to land in Texas but quickly flee as they are welcomed with lead by locals screaming "go back to your country, libtards!"

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Did that thing go behind the moon? What size is it?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I know why the orbs always go by 3

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Riot Bimbo posted:

biggest bummer if uap are entirely local to our system.

Biggest bummer if most UAPs are from nazi expatriates on the moon ("tall whites" aryans) who went there when they unlocked antigravity and magic thanks to Schauberger and the Vril society, and the greys are their clone army.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Riot Bimbo posted:

i mean duh but i mean that if it's interdimensional or some poo poo on an an axis like that, but yeah moon nazis would be kinda rough

"Interdimensional" is just a fancy name for magic.

Think like when Rasputin and the Nazis opened a portal to hell and Hellboy got sucked into it.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Riot Bimbo posted:

that would be fuckin' crazy lol

I know, right

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Stanislav Grof did lots of LSD therapy sessions and he was loading his patients up with like 300-500 ug at a time. I want that so bad, for me

I still have 3 dozens tabs left in a drawer + some homemade mescaline extract that have been sitting there for 4 years since my first kid was born. I would love to drop again but I just can't find the 48h necessary for the high, lack of sleep and day after.

I don't regret being a father one bit though. Completely free of existential dread and days filled with surprises (both good and bad) and I know that it's just a matter of months until I can arrange a weekend for this purpose.

So far free time has been so rare I prefer to reserve it for seeing friends and hobbies, and I still have weed and miprocin/metocin to wait until the next meeting with acid or mescalin.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Slavvy posted:

How the gently caress did having a kid reduce your existential dread? I feel like now I actually have to care about living on a dying monkey toilet hell planet and it's far worse than before

Not enough time and energy left to think about it + having a clear purpose in life (taking care about the kids and bringing them joy)

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Didn't he also claim he had no insider knowledge and all these things he read about them because he's a UFO enthousiast?

I mean I would love it even if only some of these things are true, but unfortunately he doesn't seem to bring anything new to the table.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Barry Foster posted:

I've got a horrible chest infection and I'm sittin around feeling sorry for myself and I need BIRD CONTENT

Anyone got the full collection? I want to catch them all

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Mantids missing.

Is there an owl looking one a la Flatwoods Monster or nah?

The notebook is supposed to contain 32 species but I only got these from Pinterest or something. I would love to see the full set.

Also I love the random "love our bread" beneath cat people

e: apparently a lot of aliens love our bread

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Yess! Found the full notebook

https://www.academia.edu/21527666/32_extraterrestrial_species_Ray_Kosulandich_Multigenerational_Contactee_

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Half of them seem to love our bread

:iiam: