Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Mellon and Elizondo explained the reason for the "media push" in the 60 Minutes piece. Public pressure will hopefully lead to representatives taking the issue more seriously leading up to the report to Congress next month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

The idea that alien probes are surveilling us here on Earth as being extremely unlikely isn't actually based on anything.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

tokin opposition posted:

Some spook in the secret CIA-billionaire-NSA alliance that actually runs the world got worried about China/Russia/Saudis/Antifa using secret spy planes and they want the rubes to report any potential spy tech online.

Meanwhile the Great Filters means that no species ever advances to interstellar travel or sticks around on long enough time spans to send recognizable signals, everywhere in the universe, at a massive energy cost for no real reason. It takes decades to transmit round trip, requires someone there to find the signal (who's rarity we have no real solid evidence of) and understand information stored in an entirely alien format, with alien mathematics, language, concepts of importance, communication standards and expectations, and not have it be functionally static.

As for travel, space is fundamentally antagonistic to life. We can't even reliably get into orbit, it takes huge amounts of energy and materials. Sure, there's lots of materials in space, but good luck gathering, refining, or using it in a place that is waiting for the tiniest fuckups to end you. Why would you want to go to space? Why would you develop the tech to go to another star? Waste the time and resources involved? gently caress space, space sucks.

We are alone in the universe and our world will not be saved by aliens, magic, or The Dialectic or anything else. We are currently doomed to die in the mid to long term, and you will have to face your mortality and lack of freedom in society which underlines all of these wish fulfillment dreams of space men, ghosts, or bigfoot.

Read philosophy and smoke weed instead.

The great filter was postulated as an answer to why there don't seem to be any aliens around. You can't invoke it as evidence that they don't exist.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

What if...what if we're the assholes??

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

The US DoD was having trouble securing funding and so concocted a cunning plan

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Delta-Wye posted:

the most interesting acceleration is recorded with the radar, and most of those crazy m/s or m/s^2 values are based on a single object going from low altitude to high altitude but there are lots of easier explanations. if they are artificial radar targets that can be enabled/disabled (say, quickly reconfigure their shape to change the response) several going on/off at the right rate would confuse the operator who would see one object displace a large distance in a short amount of time. lots of more abstract EW approaches too, ofc.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/29505/the-navys-secretive-nemesis-electronic-warfare-capability-will-change-naval-combat-forever

suspiciously, none of the (official) videos show that crazy of movement to me

Right but 4 pilots saw it shoot off as the radar tracked it move almost instantly to their cap point ie that crazy speed has been corroborated.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

i am harry posted:

there are accounts of UAPs physically reacting to aircraft, shutting off systems, etc..maybe that would just be a side-effect of something else.
personally a "why" is more interesting than a "what"...like why even be here at all? there can't possibly be anything special here...there are near infinite planets in the universe.

Unless ftl, intergalactic wormholes or whatever other magic is a thing travel is probably limited to within the Milky Way. The Milky Way is ~100,000 light years across, so moving at .1 lightspeed(extremely fast but not magic) gets you across in 1 million years. The closest galaxy to ours is Andromeda which is 2.5 million light years away and there's nothing in between, it's a whole next level of vast and that's the absolute closest one.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Mr. Sharps posted:

smh at this guy ignoring the megellanic clouds and other dwarf galaxies where most of the most interesting astronomy is happening

Woops you're right, I legit thought Andromeda was the closest in the local cluster but not even close.

Err I meant closest full galaxy that's the ticket

Ratios and Tendency has issued a correction as of 01:49 on May 24, 2021

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Justin Tyme posted:

The downed roswell craft was literally a weather balloon. It was a mylar balloon loaded with experimental top secret infrasound acoustic equipment used to spy on soviet atmospheric nuclear tests

In The Phenomenon documentary there's interview footage with the guy pictured in the famous weather balloon tinfoil picture and he's adamant that was a hastily assembled cover-up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHP1uzXHCPY

Ratios and Tendency has issued a correction as of 02:05 on May 26, 2021

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

A MIRACLE posted:

the whole idea /trope that aliens are these little humanoid bipeds doesn’t sit right with me.

those are obviously from earth if they’re real. that or they created us in their image

Or convergent evolution. Hands(bipedalism), big brains, forward facing eyes.

Or they're robots built to look friendly and familiar to humans :)

Ratios and Tendency has issued a correction as of 05:43 on May 26, 2021

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

That dude's a fraud, there's no evidence he's ever worked for the government and he spends most of his time self-promoting/coming up with truly out there batshit stuff.

That said, chalk me up as another person who is lapping all this stuff up regardless. My childhood self would be thrilled by all this new material. Thrilled and a little freaked out lol

No.

https://twitter.com/GadiNBC/status/1386872125835812864

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

He's basically all but said that he saw some insane ufo poo poo as part of his role at AATIP but that he can't just come out and release it due to how he got the info, whether it's NDAs or security clearance or whatever. He's still a big US government natsec/intel guy after all, so instead he's trying to backdoor it by getting Congress poking around on national security grounds.

And the navy instantly confirming poo poo and giving Corbell videos would suggest he's got senior navy people on board too.

Ratios and Tendency has issued a correction as of 13:23 on May 28, 2021

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Here's some journalist saying he's heard from navy sources that they've been sonaring objects going hundreds of knots underwater, possibly related to the Omaha drones:

[siren]Tucker Carlson Warning[/siren]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH5yztTvPAg

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Every single poster in the D&D space thread is a moron, it's incredible.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Vomik posted:

lol why would you EVER think aliens?

We're sending probes out and building space telescopes to look for aliens, why can't some other civilization find us first? This point of view comes up over and over again and it's so obviously an example of cognitive dissonance. Even if there was no ufo reports at all it'd still be a good idea to look for evidence of probes in the solar system.

The central idea of the Fermi paradox is that it's weird we're not seeing anyone given the size and age of the galaxy.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

dew worm posted:

if Aliens are capable of FTL travel from millions of light years away, isn’t that basically the same as time travel?

You don't need ftl to move around the galaxy. Alpha Centauri is 4 lightyears away, if you can get up to 0.1 lightspeed somehow then that's 40 years which a robotic probe isn't going to care about.

0.1c Von Neuman probes could explore the whole galaxy in a million years.

Mars lost it's magnetosphere 4 billion years ago, which is your radiation shielding and stops your atmosphere getting blown away, which is before we had any life on Earth. It's very doubtful anything complex evolved there if at all.

Ratios and Tendency has issued a correction as of 03:53 on May 31, 2021

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

We have a fairly well accepted example of ftl in retreating galaxies too. You can't accelerate objects to c but apparently space can warp or expand in such a way that you end up with objects moving that fast relative to each other, maybe there's a technological way to harness something like that.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Corbell was on a webchat where he said they've got another incident separate to but very similar to the Omaha drones where the navy did try to shoot one down but it was "ineffective".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDvzZV9hMEI&t=2351s

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

I think we need to start talking seriously about goon-funding a civilian radar project in Southern California.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

That would make a cool movie actually.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

If the tic-tac isn't some sort of US tech there's really not a lot of options left.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

the actual text of the article posted:

The report determines that a vast majority of more than 120 incidents over the past two decades did not originate from any American military or other advanced U.S. government technology, the officials said. That determination would appear to eliminate the possibility that Navy pilots who reported seeing unexplained aircraft might have encountered programs the government meant to keep secret...

...The report concedes that much about the observed phenomena remains difficult to explain, including their acceleration, as well as ability to change direction and submerge.

:thunk:

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

so can anyone give a quick rundown of why this being secret domestic tech that got accidentally revealed to lower-level flunkies is implausible? tia

The classified version of the report is starting to circulate within ~the government and one of the only conclusions it's solid on is ruling out misidentification of US black projects, which was one of the only plausible mundane explanations for events like the Nimitz tic-tac.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDu3FlK-mI0

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Bullfrog posted:

excuse my ignorance, "ttfd"??

Terror from the Deep

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Lampsacus posted:

I am interested to know if the uap report will include the supposed high-definition footage/photographs taken of the ALIENS. Because that would be cool. At the very least it will probably have a bunch of text reports of consistent sightings which would also be cool.

But will it be cool enough?

I don't see how the confiscated Nimitz stuff from 2004 could still reasonably be deemed top secret or whatever but even then I highly doubt it.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Yeah, the vehement attempts to just shut any and all discussion down come off to me like fear.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

I have a nagging thought that if they announce themselves the first thing they'll ask is a rhetorical question about our treatment of animals.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Having successfully shut down the ufo topic there's been no new posts in D&D going on 12 hours lmao losers

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Log082 posted:

This is obviously a coordinated effort. It's been obvious since Elizondo's first interview. You don't just quit a job at the DoD and start talking about all the cool classified poo poo you saw and have the DoD go "Oh yeah, you got us, we totally don't know what those things are. Haha I guess we'll release more videos, just for you."

He 100% has been told to do this.

The real question is why, and I'm leaning towards "DoD wants to know what these things are almost as much as we do."

Susan Gough has been trying to shut him down though remember. Supposedly deleting his emails and claiming he had no responsibilities.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Another thought I keep having is about the last human to die before aliens get confirmed.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

So what ufo adjacent stuff is also real? Please don't tell me the reptilian cabal people were right.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Hmm do we wait for these rumors to actually materialize or do we just immediately go hog wild with speculation

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

China's progressed enough that they've got good data on ufos and was gonna spill the beans so the US needed to start covering their rear end about their lying for the last 80 years is making a lot of sense to me.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Sleekly posted:

what does disabled mean?
they somehow neutered the required atomic process for explosion? mechanically hosed with the bomb? beamed it up and subbed in some bananas?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDu3FlK-mI0

First witness here goes into it.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Google Butt posted:

why does anyone care what the blink 182 guys says

He fronted TTSA (which Lue was also part of), which he openly described as a soft-disclosure science and entertainment company with loose government backing. They released the FLIR1, GOFAST and GIMBAL videos in 2017 that kicked this whole navy ufo thing off.

Ratios and Tendency has issued a correction as of 10:45 on Jun 9, 2021

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

There's over a dozen different people involved who've come forward about the Nimitz tic-tac. Lazily handwaving them all off as non-credible isn't much of a take, especially when we have video confirming the object.

Ratios and Tendency has issued a correction as of 01:49 on Jun 10, 2021

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Which ship is the anal probing one, asking for a friend.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Communist Thoughts posted:

man none of these videos are remotely convincing. i admit i havent seen whatever ones kicked it off but i figured i'd rectify that and jut went off to look at the nimitz one and... really?

they're all grainy black and white videos of what look like video artifacts or birds

i dont beleive yet

The lovely video we have confirms that there was real object associated with the pilot and radar operator witnesses.

There's also multiple people involved who say there's a much better, longer version that shows crazy movement similar to what the pilots saw, but it hasn't been declassified.

This vid is a little cheesy to begin with but it gives a good overview of the event:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRgoisHRmUE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

err posted:

i imagined the tictac being bigger

Fravor's consistently said he thought it was ~fighter jet sized.