Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Zisky posted:

IF (that's a big if) the government knows more about this than they're letting on, the current media strategy sure does seem like the ideal way to slow roll an announcement.

But then again if there are aliens and pmurt knew there's no chance in hell it would have stayed secret.

In summation, aliens don't exist until they do, and humans should stop clenching their assholes about it because it makes the probing way more unpleasant for everyone involved.

this is kinda my thought, too

There's no reason to roll out media and do 60 minutes spots for the olds if it's just for funding
they already have all the money and support for more funding that they could ever need

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

jarofpiss posted:

aliens gave their technology to the chinese and the chinese are now owning us with transmaterial drones. this dump is the government breaking the news to us that they got so owned

loving trisolarans did us dirty

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

StratGoatCom posted:

During the NASA/USAF lifting body programs of the 60-70s, a disc shaped craft was indeed proposed, but never was built. It strikes me as possibly viable.

the whole omni-directional thrust thing seems to have been applied pretty well for drones.
Just add a disc shape skirt to them and you've got flying saucers

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I mean... why wouldn't aliens just take the first people they meet at their word?

"Oh, you're the chosen ones and you have a ruler called Yahweh that watches over you. Sure thing."

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I want star trek aliens. I know some folks want Independence Day aliens because they can't handle the thought of not being America to the whole universe

I suspect if we get any aliens though it's gonna be the roadside picnic sort that don't even care that we're here

they're just studying cloud formations or some poo poo on the way to a cooler species' planet

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Zisky posted:

It's pretty wild that the media is actually entertaining this idea. On CNN right now they're interviewing a guy that wrote a book about John Mack.

It's weird right?
Why is this all of the sudden acceptable popular news again after having been relegated to the fringe for half a century

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Zisky posted:

I'm at least glad I'm not the only one thinking this.

And I've never been an x-files or want to believe type.

Yeah, some things happen by chance but I feel pretty confident news is not one of those things
it feels very deliberate, like a slow trickle since that cigar asteroid came around

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Maximo Roboto posted:

kinda unnecessary when we live in an age where everything already serves as a distraction

Yeah... just like fuckin'... release a new iphone or push out another sacrificial sexual predator celebrity figure if you're running cover
why aliens

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The Saucer Hovers posted:

look into the history of nitinol and titanium mining if youre actually broke brained enough to be interested in this subject

quote:

While the potential applications for nitinol were realized immediately, practical efforts to commercialize the alloy did not take place until a decade later. This delay was largely because of the extraordinary difficulty of melting, processing and machining the alloy. Even these efforts encountered financial challenges that were not readily overcome until the 1980s, when these practical difficulties finally began to be resolved.

Hrmmm

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Zisky posted:

"Sure look like Chinese drones to me!" says guy on a car blog site.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I guess I also sincerely do want to believe.
Its weird. I grew up a Scully but as I age I am more and more a Mulder, so desperate for there to be any hint of something bigger than this parade of nothing to reach out to

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Think Less posted:

The Phenomenon documentary on Netflix is pretty good. The Zimbabwe encounter was loving creepy as hell

Edit: guess its not on Netflix anymore. Available elsewhere though

Watched it now and yeah the schoolchildren talking about environmental stuff seems to be a bit much for them to all concoct it as a hoax to mess with their teachers or something.

That and the missile base stuff is strange.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

People just want to gently caress aliens. You show someone a weird alien and there's gonna be a guy who wants to gently caress it. This is how we get peace in our time

It is my suspicion that the aliens are completely asexual and that everytime they come down and see how horny earth is they push their reveal back another decade

Caligula ruined first contact for centuries

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

dew worm posted:

come on folks, it’s called the Prime Directive

More like the "They still killing each other because of their skin colors and artificial scarcity? Alright, check back in another century I guess"...directive

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Hatebag posted:

If you can't earn it yourself, you'll just ruin space for the responsible species. No, we'll just have to wait 100M years for the next sapient species and see if they don't have psycho ape brains

they're not wrong
but they are assholes

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jetto Jagga posted:

Just wait until the Beserkers get here, we'll be sorry

It's okay, I've played a lot of xcom
I know how to handle this

step 1 is everyone let me dress you and give you backstories
this is going to take a few days so bear with me

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Atrocious Joe posted:

what if we're just on a giant petri dish. the UFOs are grad students checking in on the experiment. they've got 50 other earths around the galaxy they are running the same test on.

the experiment probably didn't even purposely involve us, they are trying to figure out why animals keep evolving into crabs.

Being a cosmic experiment would explain all the observation without intervention and vicious probing

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Hatebag posted:

Most of the minerals are still here. Some vanadium, uranium/plutonium shot out into space. 100M years is enough time for a new regime of life to take over though.
Really though the Cretaceous extinction event was only 66M years ago and that killed 75% of life on the planet. Climate change probably won't even kill all humans. The population will get devastated but some will be able to adapt to the new environment and probably ruin it again within 100k years lol

Good odds it doesn't even go all road warrior

I'd wager on a Children of Men scenario but it's a deliberate effort by world governments to sterilize large portions of the population

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jetto Jagga posted:

Ps the minuscule percentage of cattle "mutilations" that are actually real are definitely psyops to keep the UFO conspiracy matrix going.

That's just what the aliens want you to think.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'm not a propaganda strategist but it seems like "look at this incredible space poo poo we have no idea how to make" seems like better advertising for the people who made the amazing space poo poo than our podunk highest funded military in the world that still runs windows XP all over the place

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

you're all really harshing the positive alien buzz this thread had going you know

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Danger posted:

sorry. it always boils down to the white ethnostate committing egregious acts against its own citizens to suppress any kind of progressive movement.

It can be both though. Theoretically

Or just the abductions are CIA and the craft can still be aliens

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Zisky posted:

I think I'm gonna start watching x-files, I've never seen an episode.

All this alien talk is causing a stirring in my loins.

It's so good. You have to be ready for some 90s tv jank bit it's so much fun

Also drat near every episode has some bit part with an actor who went on to have big career

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

that's because the xfiles was a cia op

Well
I'll give them that one

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Earth's mightiest hero

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Bideo James posted:

in the summer of 1999 i saw a ball of lightning come into my home.

i was laying on my bed which was also formerly a porch, now enclosed. My bed faced long ways, to my left and right were doors into the house and onto the new porch, beyond that a chair facing a television on a wooden center and beyond that half a pingpong table and a desk chair used for our house computer, i could see out the far window

as i laid off trying to drift off on an extremely hot summer night, i was startled up standing on my bed suddenly as every hair on my body stood up and my heart began to race and in front of me, from the back side of the wooden entertainment center a bright blue and white light emitted from the back of the television and like a ghost a pulsing glowing blue orb began to form in front of it, it slowly traveled from one side of the room, vanishing into the wall. i rushed towards my door to open it into the kitchen and dining room but there was nothing there. i realized then the power was out in the entire house and the microwave beeping to life when suddenly powered again made me flee back to my bed.

i still lay awake at night wondering what that was, but i believe it was either a real ball lightning or swamp gas. i did live in a swamp.

You fool, you missed out on nabbing a premium artifact

You'll never make it through the zone with those instincts

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

All I want is incontrovertible proof of extra terrestrials I don't think that's too much to ask

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It's coordinated misinformation or it's loving happening

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The phoenix lights sound loving terrifying

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

If aliens don't respect cats they can gently caress right off back to space though

Also your uncle was just very high

Like incredibly high

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eleven Eleven posted:

sad that I just discovered ufo thread, happy to be here now

Share some compelling poo poo. I feel like there's so much I havent seen even this far in

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I've gone from heavy skeptic like drat near certain we are alone to drat near believer in record time thanks to this thread

I don't even care if I am wrong I just won't broadcast it to strangers no one will ever know

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

take a look at the documentary They Live

"I'm giving you a choice: either put on these glasses or start eatin' that trash can" is a great line. I need to give that one another watch

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

What if the aliens are racists or eugenicists

christ what if they're just space redneck longhaul truckers

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

A Time To Chill posted:

binging this thread after eating edibles was a mistake. i am now certain our rulers have sold humanity's buttholes to the probe aliens in exchange for tickets to the Epstein planet. do they have lube in space???

I don't think lube works in zero gravity

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Riot Bimbo posted:

ya lets hope our culture generation or something else intangible is nice to them i guess.

I reckon it's like, I don't spend all day clapping my hands about aliens but probably ITT im gonna post as if it's aliens because that's the only way this is interesting in a way that's not singularly distressing, but i'm aware that worse and more boring things are far more likely!~

Aliens glued to the Netflix queue trying to figure out who wins the Circle like the right of us

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Oh poo poo new season of the Witcher, Gargox. Let's do first contact next week

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Inspector Hound posted:

I'm still 100% a phosphene truther, I'll never forget waking up from that nap to that poo poo

I don't know what this is. Please share

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Tighclops posted:

It's not about funding it's about distracting people so they aren't fermenting dissent

Wether or not there is a real phenomena here is irrelevant to the people pushing it

Fermented dissent is me talking to the bar normies about the evils of capitalism after three 9% beers.
I think you are after "fomenting"

Irrelevant to your point and I am not meaning to be an rear end in a top hat sometimes words are just like that and if you didn't know now you do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

So possible scenarios:
1) It's all gaslighting by the US government for $$$ (weird since they've dropped millions into research this anyhow and could just ask for more money. Congress can't say no to the MIC)
2) It's all gaslighting by a global coalition for... ???
3) It's an adversary waving their magic drone dicks at us for reasons.
4) It's aliens and their purpose is unknown
5) It's aliens and they're benevolent. Yay utopia.
6) It's aliens and they're malicious. XCOM incoming.
7) It's aliens and they made contact but they're just kinda neutral? Is that sufficiently different from 3?